Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap car Insurance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 George Carbery

I am 57 years of age ... driving for 35 years with no accidents.
    Last year I returned from living in Sweden for 10 years and needed Insurance. Quinn Direct quoted me €300.00 which I thought was fair and I accepted. This year in renewing my policy with Quinn they quoted me €584.00 ..... and I still had no claims or accidents.

Thinking this was a rip off I cancelled my policy ... however my younger son told me to go on line to Quinn Direct and see what they would quote me there ... on doing so and filling in the same details as per my previous policy .. I was quoted € 329 .... which I accepted and received my new policy teo days later ...

My confusion is how can this happen ..... same company... quote by phone €584 and by internet € 329 ... ????
    Confused .... ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭taung

I am 57 years of age ... driving for 35 years with no accidents.
    Last year I returned from living in Sweden for 10 years and needed Insurance. Quinn Direct quoted me €300.00 which I thought was fair and I accepted. This year in renewing my policy with Quinn they quoted me €584.00 ..... and I still had no claims or accidents.

Thinking this was a rip off I cancelled my policy ... however my younger son told me to go on line to Quinn Direct and see what they would quote me there ... on doing so and filling in the same details as per my previous policy .. I was quoted € 329 .... which I accepted and received my new policy teo days later ...

My confusion is how can this happen ..... same company... quote by phone €584 and by internet € 329 ... ????
    Confused .... ???

This is a normal way of working for any insurance company; rely on the ignorance of your policy holders to artificially boost profits. The same thing happened to me last week with a renewal (Allianz). The price quoted by the allianzdirect website was around 10% cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Anyone deal with the crowd in the OP? Is that offer still going?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

taung wrote: »
    This is a normal way of working for any insurance company; rely on the ignorance of your policy holders to artificially boost profits. The same thing happened to me last week with a renewal (Allianz). The price quoted by the allianzdirect website was around 10% cheaper.
    Its normal course of business for most companies, offer cheap deals to attract new customers then apply standard rates after year 1, look at sky, NTL etc... they all over "special" rates for new customers yet screw the existing customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

I went with http://paylessdirect.ie/ today and they are way cheaper, about 40% less than the cheapest quote and 130% less than the dearest quote. Also they didnt charge extra for having a Dublin address (unlike nearly every other broker)

• Advertisement

irishguy wrote: »
    I went with http://paylessdirect.ie/ today and they are way cheaper, about 40% less than the cheapest quote and 130% less than the dearest quote. Also they didnt charge extra for having a Dublin address (unlike nearly every other broker)

Thats a bad bad website, you have to send your details off before you get a quote, give email & mobile number which means your on a mailing list!!

AVOID THIS WEBSITE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Sandy2004

brittons were way cheaper than anyone last year .........150eur fully comp!!!!..... cheaper than my tax...... but this year they have trebled it.........

nononense.ie this year are the cheapest so far...........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Sandy2004 wrote: »
    nononense.ie this year are the cheapest so far...........

Sorry, we are unable to provide you with a quote

feckers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Just few thoughts as a foreigner guys. I`m stunned by the quotes which the insurance companies giving me. I have lived in this country more than four years now but still singled out as I were a criminal in terms of insurance. I`m 30, got my licence for 13 years, but I didn`t have any insurance here before because there was no need for a car. This year I thought I`d give it a go. So I had bought a `99 Fiesta 1.25 which is not a powerplant car and started to shop around for insurance. I`d mention fbd they quoted me 1800 wtf?The whole car is not worth more than 1300. I asked them why is it so dear? The answer,you`re never gonna figure it out! You drive on the other side of road. It`s a joke! Even most of the companies didn`t want to talk to me because I don`t have irish ncb. I`ve got foreigner driving experience though but as it later turned out I can bring certs to prove my they just won`t accept it. So aviva gave me a 3rd party,fire & theft for 780 subject to named drive experience of course they rejected it and wanted to go up to 1330. Wtf again! So the best I could do went online and got insured with 123.ie for 700 but third party only. Maybe it`s not the cheapest but I found nothing else. Even aviva applied a huge penalty because I had paid the insurance for a year after 1 month I got back only 546 from 780.According to my calculation it`s a 160. I`ve learnt my lesson for good. Rip-off all over the place:(((

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

As I have said many times here, where is the rip-off? No one is making you pay a high premium to any insurer, you just have to shop around every year. Yes, there are differences when you deal via internet or directly with the insurer and some quotes are outregeous but that just means you move on to the next one.
    On Sunday, I got Bulmers at €1.50 per can in Centra. I don't think Dunnes, Tesco or Super Value are ripping me off by advertising it dearer, I just got a bargain. I swapped my electrictiy to Bord Gais and made a saving, I wasn't being ripped off by ESB. I know where to get diesel at a local Co-Op cheaper than all the other petrol stations, so that is a bargain.
    Shop around, reject the dear suppliers and support the cheap ones. If you don't, take my advice......ssssshhh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

25plus.ie (if your unfortunate enough to be that old) were the cheapest for me and I shopped around a good bit. Fully comp and includes Breakdown/Windscreen cover etc.

Go Team!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,861 ✭✭✭✭muffler

BigAl81 wrote: »
    (if your unfortunate enough to be that old)
    Wash your mouth out and never for get that just like good wine people become better with age :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

25plus.ie (if your unfortunate enough to be that old) ....

Hey speak for yourself BigAl, some of us appreciate our maturity. I regard myself as fortunate to be over 25. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CFC007

Just paid for the fathers renewal with 25plus.ie by far the cheapest out there, he saved a good 200euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Loads of companies still asking for marital status. Naughty naughty. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭marknoonan1974

Bond-007 wrote: »

And occupation and your employers business, for the life of me I cant understand why that makes any difference when getting a quote.

Remember, 123.ie, chill.ie, quoteline.ie, quoteme.ie etc are all brokers with a website. They do not provide a real comparison as brokers get kick backs/discounts depending on the amount of business they write with a particular insurance company. The market is very skewed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Bond-007 wrote: »
    They are allowed ask, they are just not allowed to base your premium on it ;)

And if you believe that there is something wrong with you.

They are not allowed to ask since the Data Protection Commissioner busted them a while back.
    http://www.dataprotection.ie/documents/caseStudies/02cs1.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭marknoonan1974

Bluetonic wrote: »
    They are allowed ask, they are just not allowed to base your premium on it ;)

They do, if you select some pilot you insurance is higher, same for sea captain....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

got first time buyer buyer on aprovisional 1.3 corolla there for 11ooe when i rang up and was 1800 on the site sring up and don't take the quote as the ballpark figure.

by far the cheapest. before they dropped it from 1800 to 1100 it was the cheapest quote over all the companies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Tip to anyone getting policies...(especially with Quinn)

Remove the Windscreen cover. Its €31. To put this into perspective, a windscreen replacement costs €70 if your unlucky enough

To be honest the risk factor is maybe 1 in 20 that it will happen to you in any given year. Also, they only cover 2 per year. So at most they pay you out 4-5 times your rate

Compare with the main insurance deal (mine was ~600 for a 08 Ibiza). If car is wrote off, your looking at ~15 times what you paid excluding towing and hospital payments (god forbid)

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

25plus.ie (if your unfortunate enough to be that old) were the cheapest for me and I shopped around a good bit. Fully comp and includes Breakdown/Windscreen cover etc.

Go Team!

I do quite a bit of shopping around for my insurance quotes each year and I moved to 25plus.ie 2 years ago from Quinn. Cheapest I've found by a long way.

Why are all these online sites obsessed with named drivers, has no one heard of open driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭blobert

Hi folks,

Have been with Quinn in my own name for 2 years, concurrently a named driver for the past 5 years. My renewal quote of €461 is higher than last year and after a very unhelpfuly chat with some lad in their call centre, they wont budge on the price.

25Plus.ie offered me fully comp for €350 but there is a problem. My car is a Japanese import, but far from a muscle car (1 litre Yaris!) with some minor modifications to it. In hindsight it was not a smart move to buy an imported car as in the insurers eyes I am a liability.

While Quinn accept imports none of the other insurers seem to want to.

Can anyone advise me of a few alternatives to try, have yet been able to find one.

Also an insurer that will take into account my total claims free driving would be a plus, trying as a new customer with Quinn they gave me a quote of €700 with 2 years in my own name, but only €488 using the 5 years named experience, however they do not seem to want to take both into account.

Thanks

blobert wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Have been with Quinn in my own name for 2 years, concurrently a named driver for the past 5 years. My renewal quote of €461 is higher than last year and after a very unhelpfuly chat with some lad in their call centre, they wont budge on the price.

25Plus.ie offered me fully comp for €350 but there is a problem. My car is a Japanese import, but far from a muscle car (1 litre Yaris!) with some minor modifications to it. In hindsight it was not a smart move to buy an imported car as in the insurers eyes I am a liability.

While Quinn accept imports none of the other insurers seem to want to.

Can anyone advise me of a few alternatives to try, have yet been able to find one.

Also an insurer that will take into account my total claims free driving would be a plus, trying as a new customer with Quinn they gave me a quote of €700 with 2 years in my own name, but only €488 using the 5 years named experience, however they do not seem to want to take both into account.

Thanks

Traditionally parts for imports were more expensive, don't work in motor trade so sont know if thats still the case.
    Did you have 5 years in a row named driving with a full licence then 2 years in your own name? i.e 7 years continiously with a full licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 George Carbery

Hi,
    I had the same situation with quinn direct .. I am full license and driving for over 30 years and accident free.

This year quinn doubled my Insurance and when I contacted them , like you I got a guy who could not explain why my Insurance had nearly doubled. Well after telling him in no kind way what to do with his Insurance .... I cancelled the policy.

I went on internet and tried a couple of Insurance Companies ... and also QUINN DIRECT.... after filling in the form on quinnns site I was quoted only €35 higher than last years Insurance... so I agreed with this ... paid by credit card and in two days got my new Insurance Policy from QUINN.s...

So ....can anyone tell me how this can happen ..... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

I am currently in the process of ringing the phonebook to get the best quote on a BMW 320i M Sport Coupe. Currently www.jlt.ie are offering me the best quote. www.123.ie were also €60 over JLT's but still quite reasonable.

Hi,
    I had the same situation with quinn direct .. I am full license and driving for over 30 years and accident free.

This year quinn doubled my Insurance and when I contacted them , like you I got a guy who could not explain why my Insurance had nearly doubled. Well after telling him in no kind way what to do with his Insurance .... I cancelled the policy.

I went on internet and tried a couple of Insurance Companies ... and also QUINN DIRECT.... after filling in the form on quinnns site I was quoted only €35 higher than last years Insurance... so I agreed with this ... paid by credit card and in two days got my new Insurance Policy from QUINN.s...

So ....can anyone tell me how this can happen ..... :rolleyes:
    Happens all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

eddiem74 wrote: »
    I am currently in the process of ringing the phonebook to get the best quote on a BMW 320i M Sport Coupe. Currently www.jlt.ie are offering me the best quote. www.123.ie were also €60 over JLT's but still quite reasonable.

not aware of jlt.ie, thanks, must give 'em a look see

i'm in a similar situation, almost getting dizzy from all the shopping around. almost a month ago, within the space of a week, i got my full license and upgraded to a 05 1.4 focus (from a 98 1.0). the heralded full license made no difference to my premium. it was just beginning the last month of my 2nd year with Quinn so i just accepted the €57 extra for the bump up to the larger engine for the month. while on the phone the Quinn girl then said, "oh and i can give you your renewal premium for next year while i have you here. . .". i almost laughed in the phone, it's pretty much double last years, not a hope of me paying that, i just said thanks and hung up.

most online quotes im getting aren't too dissimilar to Quinns renewal figure, which is disappointing, except for 123.ie, they can beat it by almost €300 so needless to say that they're the front runner so far. i just checked that 25plus site, they were higher than Quinn.

the search continues. . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭blobert

Keith C wrote: »
    Traditionally parts for imports were more expensive, don't work in motor trade so sont know if thats still the case.
    Did you have 5 years in a row named driving with a full licence then 2 years in your own name? i.e 7 years continiously with a full licence?

Have had licence for 4 years, was insured for 1 year prior as a named driver and 4 since.

Have been insured for the past 2 years with Quinn in my own name.

Might try Zurich and AA and see if they insure imports, if they dont I'll just have to stick with Quinn:(

Advertisement