Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I wonder if this guy would fit a part in Love Hate?

Check out this video by Dave Tynan on a "Midnight stroll & rant around Dublin"

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I wonder if this guy would fit a part in Love Hate?

Check out this video by Dave Tynan on a "Midnight stroll & rant around Dublin"

I hope not. Keep fair city as far away from love/hate as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Is that what he's in? I wouldn't know as I don't watch Fair City ;)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Is that what he's in? I wouldn't know as I don't watch Fair City ;)

I seen that video last night and it took me a while to figure it out.

Id agree. Alot of complaining about the fact a few ex cons were used in the show but to be honest for authenticity purposes i have no problem. They have served their term firstly and people would complain if the scene didn't look realistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mackthefinger

Received the box set as a christmas present and have watched it all
    over the last few days. Wasn't so fussed on Season 1, but stuck with it
    and Season 2 was a serious improvement, where the show grew in confidence,
    and Season 3 was the best of the lot. Glad Nigeweasel didn't get the deadener though,
    for me he's at the heart of the show and would really miss his scenes with Fran.
    Also looking forward to Fran finding out about Nigeweasel and Linda Mark 1.
    Definitely the best series from RTE to date, fair play to all involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

I would like to see a main man come in who doesn't take drugs. A smart guy who can take over for a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 JohnboyMc

I knew The Dazzler was alive. He was at the New Years Eve concert in College Green last night!

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

That was a bullet proof kevlar hoodie he was wearing so he did not die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

"but the 'RA girl, Lizzie, shot you Daz,
    she filled you full of lead.
    Takes more than guns to kill a man,
    said Daz, and I ain't dead...
    ...said Daz, and I ain't dead"

sung to the air of 'Joe Hill' :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Hitchens wrote: »
    "but the 'RA girl, Lizzie, shot you Daz,
    she filled you full of lead.
    Takes more than guns to kill a man,
    said Daz, and I ain't dead...
    ...said Daz, and I ain't dead"

sung to the air of 'Joe Hill' :rolleyes:

Can we have a whip round to shoot Daz again, just to make sure :D

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Stooped

It's the Nidge weasel...with hair :O

548.jpg

He looks like Alan from Two and a Half Men...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

He also looks like the chap that was shot and killed last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Stooped wrote: »

548.jpg

He's definitely receding alright :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

JohnboyMc wrote: »
    I knew The Dazzler was alive. He was at the New Years Eve concert in College Green last night!

Must've got a Gilette set for Christmas too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

548.jpg

Sure he should look at this thread next time he's on the laptop, wouldn't feel so bad about the baldness once he sees that pic... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Littleminx

will there be a 4th series? after all Darren was main characther in it after all, why did they kill him. jesus a women killing poor darren what a bang for the end.

Littleminx wrote: »
    will there be a 4th series? after all Darren was main characther in it after all, why did they kill him. jesus a women killing poor darren what a bang for the end.

Of course there is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Got a new T-shirt for Xmas.... Hope Fran approves

206128_509286962444887_519087969_n.jpg

LOL. The Sunday World actually have put a nickname on the lad who was clipped (in real life) last Friday. Christopher 'Git' (or Gih) Warren :D
    Do any of these gangland figures actually have a nickname or is it only when the Sunday World report on them?

EDIT: Look at the picture of Paul Warren in this link... the spit of Dazzler
    http://www.sundayworld.com/columnists/index.php

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Napper Tandys house get's a mention in "The Spanish Lady" about 2:20 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Anyone know where I could see/hear an interview with Tom Vaughan Lawlor? (the actor who plays Nidge).

I'm eager to hear his real voice, because I've been told it's almost like Edwardian-English...miles aparts from his Nidge accent!

I've looked all over Youtube and checked the "Behind the scenes of Love/Hate" clips but nothing.

Anyone know where I could see/hear an interview with Tom Vaughan Lawlor? (the actor who plays Nidge).

I'm eager to hear his real voice, because I've been told it's almost like Edwardian-English...miles aparts from his Nidge accent!

I've looked all over Youtube and checked the "Behind the scenes of Love/Hate" clips but nothing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xl7UpxNfY4g#t=212s

There's a bit of him speaking normally there. It's fecking bizarre, like a completely different person.

Edit: Turns out Nidge's missus is northern as well. Didn't know that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,173 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Todayfm, Ian Dempsey, podcasts, most boring interview ever....he's obviously a good actor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Hitchens wrote: »
    yeah, but don't forget the Viper has been shot umpteen times as well ;)

That was one of the funniest nicknames the Gardai gave to Martin Foley - Holy Foley:D still makes me smile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Edit: Turns out Nidge's missus is northern as well. Didn't know that.

Co. Monaghan, I believe.

• Site Banned Posts: 240 ✭✭Nervous Nigel

I think that she's ridiculously hot...there's something about her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

I think that she's ridiculously hot...there's something about her
    Does she make you nervous, Nigel?

• Site Banned Posts: 240 ✭✭Nervous Nigel

ectoraige wrote: »
    Does she make you nervous, Nigel?

No, it's an entirely different feeling...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 locked

just watching season one and two,, john boy is a big loss. for me programme was alot better with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭markbld65

just watched seriers 1-2-3 over chrismas and seen the last episode tonight great show

was mad into breaking bad but lovehate is imo way better, cant wait for season 4

just to note seen its becoming more popular eg the series my young'est is the spit of darren lol even the place he got his hair cut last week said he could be his twin brother , i wonder could darren have a secret little brother to avenge his shooting lol

jammy little git lol

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭markbld65

just watched seriers 1-2-3 over chrismas and seen the last episode tonight great show

was mad into breaking bad but lovehate is imo way better, cant wait for season 4

just to note seen its becoming more popular eg the series my young'est is the spit of darren lol even the place he got his hair cut last week said he could be his twin brother , i wonder could darren have a secret little brother to avenge his shooting lol

jammy little git lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

locked wrote: »
    just watching season one and two,, john boy is a big loss. for me programme was alot better with him.

Same here, he still is my favorite character, him and Franno.

I feel they killed off Hughie way too quick too.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Stooped

Holsten wrote: »
    Same here, he still is my favorite character, him and Franno.

I feel they killed off Hughie way too quick too.

I hated Hughie's guts. He got what was coming to him the spanner. I didn't really feel bad about John Boy dying because he was getting psycho. They didn't dwell on it a lot either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Anyone know where I can get season 1?

Online would be preferred.. RTE are useless :(

/NOT looking for any illegal methods

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

markbld65 wrote: »

:eek:

Jaysis, Love/Hate is good, and probably the best thing RTE have ever had a hand in (Glenroe & Reeling In The Years notwithstanding), but on a par with the top echelons of the big hitter American shows it is not.

markbld65 wrote: »

jammy little git lo
    l

Jammie li'il Gih you mean ;)

I hated Hughie's guts. He got what was coming to him the spanner. I didn't really feel bad about John Boy dying because he was getting psycho. They didn't dwell on it a lot either.

Brian Gleeson had it nailed. He kept S1 going on his own imo. Had he not been as unpredicable and volatile the show could have been well doomed to failure imo.
    Nidge wasnt as central to the plot in S1 so therefore didnt have as much impact despite the odd funny moment.

Hughie wasnt as funny as Fran or Nidge despite one or two good lines. Truth is he was absolutely despicable and thats the sign of a real villain. He probably mirrors alot of real life characters all over Ireland.

s1 John Boy was well in control but when his deputy Hughie went he spiralled quickly out of control.

locked wrote: »

Would have been interesting to see how John Boy dealt with Git and the RA alright but if truth be known is there probably wouldnt have been too much of a story there. Aido gets shot, John Boy wouldnt blink an eye as like Nidge he knew they were 'taking on a whole army' and if Dazzler retaliated he'd be clipped. Besides, Darren only retaliated in order to show his loyalty to Nidge and the gang. He was blinded to the faults in Nidge whereas he knew John Boy was scum.

In fact had Darren not pipe bombed Dano's car outside the Napper then there probably wouldn't have been need for any interaction with the RA only to pay them the extortion money every now and then. Nidge and the rest were too cowardly to get involved with them whereas Darren was a fearless liability.

Dano and Darren almost run as parallel albeit on the opposite side of the fence. Both are absolute liabilities who do things off the cuff against orders of their bosses but purely down to loyalty and commitment to their respective 'causes'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,121 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

:eek:

Jaysis, Love/Hate is good, and probably the best thing RTE have ever had a hand in (Glenroe & Reeling In The Years notwithstanding), but on a par with the top echelons of the big hitter American shows it is not.

RTE did catch up substantially by showing it though.

I think that American shows on the whole have been using the same formula for decades, so are well used to churning out shows conveyor-belt style. They've got it down to a fine art, but not all of them are better than Love/Hate despite the money thrown at them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

You can get it on DVD fairly widespread I would imagine or from the RTE shop.

HULU in America have it to stream I think.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    RTE did catch up substantially by showing it though.

I think that American shows on the whole have been using the same formula for decades, so are well used to churning out shows conveyor-belt style. They've got it down to a fine art, but not all of them are better than Love/Hate despite the money thrown at them.

One criticism I have of the American shows is that the plot based ones, well they 'lose the plot' in a manner of speaking. Revenge, for example, started off with so much potential but its now going round in circles. Still watchable but people are starting to get frustrated. In one way the American tv companies almost have more money than sense.

Sometimes a small stream can produce better quality fish than a river, a lake or even a sea and basically RTE/Octagon have churned out the finest of Salmon in Love/Hate.

The beauty of Love/Hate is while there is continuous storyline within a series, it doesn't feature as much in the next series. You have elements of John Boy popping up this series but only serving as a means of being a vehicle to Nidge's increasing paranoia and stress.

I do think however the RA could feature next season and that is because they practically own Nidge's ass now. He'll be gun running and what not for them from now on. Fran is totally off their radar and that infamous bony finger of Gits could well make another appearance.

Very very interesting to see what Stuart Carolan does with the next season and thats another beauty. You'd wonder just what is he going to churn out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

I bought my copy in xtravision, before christmas.

Cost me €7.99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,121 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

One criticism I have of the American shows is that the plot based ones, well they 'lose the plot' in a manner of speaking. Revenge, for example, started off with so much potential but its now going round in circles. Still watchable but people are starting to get frustrated. In one way the American tv companies almost have more money than sense.

Sometimes a small stream can produce better quality fish than a river, a lake or even a sea and basically RTE/Octagon have churned out the finest of Salmon in Love/Hate.

The beauty of Love/Hate is while there is continuous storyline within a series, it doesn't feature as much in the next series. You have elements of John Boy popping up this series but only serving as a means of being a vehicle to Nidge's increasing paranoia and stress.

I do think however the RA could feature next season and that is because they practically own Nidge's ass now. He'll be gun running and what not for them from now on. Fran is totally off their radar and that infamous bony finger of Gits could well make another appearance.

Very very interesting to see what Stuart Carolan does with the next season and thats another beauty. You'd wonder just what is he going to churn out.

I think that John Boy's long-lost psychotic brother should be invented and introduced after he busts out of some foreign prison after twenty years for drug trafficking and mass-murder. :eek:

Nidge's character seems too weak to play the hardened gangster, and Fran went from being an out and out villain to a comedy character. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Missy Moo

I got season one, in Tesco.

They couldn't kill him off quick enough. He really got on my nerves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Nidge's character seems too weak to play the hardened gangster, and Fran went from being an out and out villain to a comedy character. :(

Ah I wouldn't go that far with Fran, yeah they really upped the comedy level with him but he is still a total psycho.

It fits with the story too, he just got out of prison is trying to get back on his feet and have a bit of fun. There are still glimpses of how crazy he is e.g with Donna and holding onto Git's finger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,035 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Started last Thursday on the first episode and have been watching an average of 2 - 3 a night... so am starting episode 3 of season 3 tonight.

It's a damn fine show it must be said.. although did laugh at each season ending with Darren potentially being killed or.. well, being killed.

Aidan Gillan's accent waves wildly between American and Irish.. but I'll forgive him as John Joe was a cracking character... don't get me wrong, wildly OTT but just a sheer mental case that was great fun to watch. Best thing about him was that every time he stared intensely at a character for longer than 2 seconds without talking, you'd get the impression that character was a goner.

Sheehan is very good in it but Lawlor as Nidge steals every single scene he's in.

Unfortunately just can't warmed to Killian Scott as Tommy.. he can't do moody and deliver dialogue without chewing the scenery.

Wasn't really a fan of Fran when he was introduced initially but am loving the comedic side he brings to the show... the show would be a helluva more run-of-the-mill without himself and Nidge with the one-liners.

Unfortunately, social media and various newspapers revealed all about the end of season 3.. which was unfortunate but unavoidable.

Anyways, gonna finish the 3rd season over the next few nights.

Basq wrote: »
    Started last Thursday on the first episode and have been watching an average of 2 - 3 a night... so am starting episode 3 of season 3 tonight.

It's a damn fine show it must be said.. although did laugh at each season ending with Darren potentially being killed or.. well, being killed.

Aidan Gillan's accent waves wildly between American and Irish.. but I'll forgive him as John Joe was a cracking character... don't get me wrong, wildly OTT but just a sheer mental case that was great fun to watch. Best thing about him was that every time he stared intensely at a character for longer than 2 seconds without talking, you'd get the impression that character was a goner.

Sheehan is very good in it but Lawlor as Nidge steals every single scene he's in.

Unfortunately just can't warmed to Killian Scott as Tommy.. he can't do moody and deliver dialogue without chewing the scenery.

Wasn't really a fan of Fran when he was introduced initially but am loving the comedic side he brings to the show... the show would be a helluva more run-of-the-mill without himself and Nidge with the one-liners.

Unfortunately, social media and various newspapers revealed all about the end of season 3.. which was unfortunate but unavoidable.

Anyways, gonna finish the 3rd season over the next few nights.

Agree. I think hes a great actor too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

When you think about it, what's the timeframe for season 3? Can't be more than a few weeks.

That would explain the comedic aspect of Fran. He was in jail, got out in EP1, and was out for fun before rattling back into his previous life.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement