Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

C'mere I must be missing something this "git" (the RA man yea?) lad he was only in the 1 episode right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

youtube! wrote: »
    C'mere I must be missing something this "git" (the RA man yea?) lad he was only in the 1 episode right?
    Yeah he's the one they killed and the IRA are looking to find whodunnit. Pretty central to everything thats going on. He's Danos dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Does Darren's behaviour seem a tad completely unrealistic to anyone else? "The guards are after me, ah sure I'll just go for one to the birthday party." "The guards are after me so I'll bring my friend to hospital." etc. It's the single biggest weakness this season, his behaviour makes not a whit of sense for someone who seems a born survivor.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Hey I have just got into this show a few weeks back, I am totally hooked! Its horrible and scummy but I just cant take my eyes off it. I bought the first 2 series and have just finished watching them.

I missed the first 20 mins of episode 1 series 3 so I only saw it from when Elmo got his face bitten by the RA man, can anyone fill me in as to anything I missed before that,its such a great show with so many intertwining plot lines that I am afraid I may have missed something, for instance when did Fran get out of prison? Does it show that he does or is it assumed?

Also when did the RA man and his son get involved and why? I know the series moves fast I keep thinking I missed an entire episode!

Oh btw I simply have to say a couple of little things annoy the **** outta me though, for example,instead of saying something like " thats all" at the end of a sentence they americanise it by saying "is all" "I am just doin a bit of paint balling with the lads is all" Oh and nidge has to be home for his kids BURTHDAY, sorry it just bugs me a teeny bit.

Lastly I have to say that Fran steals the show for me. He is the spittin image of an American actor who I love called Gary Busey, its uncanny because even if he has a totally different accent has the exact same husky tone in his voice, and he just goes on the same way too. Anyway sorry for the long post off to watch episode 3 series 3 now!

That's not an "americanism"......dublin people have a habit of saying "is all" and "in anyways"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Well he had a small part on Sunday night - his toe :D

• Advertisement

mfceiling wrote: »
    That's not an "americanism"......dublin people have a habit of saying "is all" and "in anyways"

In anyways yes of course... but "is all" is DEFINITELY from the USA! Dublin people (and I am one myself would say thats all, like "I was just talkin to Donna, thats all! No way I have heard Dubs sayin "is all" until the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭ozypozy

Just bought S1. Only €8. Can't got bloody wrong, can ya?

Where did you find it for €8?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

ozypozy wrote: »

My local xtravision. S2 is something like €10. That'll be tmrws purchase!

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Oh btw I simply have to say a couple of little things annoy the **** outta me though, for example,instead of saying something like " thats all" at the end of a sentence they americanise it by saying "is all" "I am just doin a bit of paint balling with the lads is all" Oh and nidge has to be home for his kids BURTHDAY, sorry it just bugs me a teeny bit.

What's American about saying 'burthday'?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

ozypozy wrote: »

its pretty much 8 euro everywhere. i got it in golden discs for that.

season 2 was like gold dust. i couldnt find it anywhere, all sold out. think i might just buy all three seasons when theyre out next week

• Advertisement

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    What's American about saying 'burthday'?

I said a couple of little things, one was the american thing the other was the way he says Burthday.In this case It just gives away his well heeled south dublin roots when he pronounces it that way. still a fantastic actor though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

All I've heard for ages now is love/hate love/hate , I was sick of hearing about it so I watched a episode yesterday that I recorded on sky plus from Sunday. ....looks like santa will be buying me a few box sets for Xmas . Really grippy stuff. Wow ! Is it always so intense?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

there's nothing wrong with discussing which female or male character is the most attractive. Anyone who has a problem with that is mad

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Happyman42 wrote: »

The uber cool gangsta genre does not and cannot avoid the problem of stereotyping in it's manipulation of it's core audience. I think this series has now major issues with this and you have highlighted another one.
    The over weening uber coolness of it's style over the actual content(designed to appeal to males of a certain outlook. eg. it is no mistake that a discussion on the 'scoreability' of the girls has broken out, that was the casting 'intent' :rolleyes:) is revealing quite a nasty, if not, confused intent.

btw, I wasn't fired from the thread, I opted out because 'some' decided I wasn't entitled to a point of view. I'm sure the writers are delighted that there are those who will defend their work to the death but the inability of some to take on board any disscussive criticism of this series (which your post was) is a worrying trend on the Television forum.
    ...and that's why the series is a success, and in rte terms, international success.

Nidge has to die sooner rather than later, and one of his own should do it! We"ll miss him but that's how it works out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Darren is going to kill Nidge.

That is my guess.

Nidge had/was close to killing Darren in last series in woods. It will come back on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

...and that's why the series is a success, and in rte terms, international success.

Mother Browns Boys is an international success too, but is it any good?

Fair play to all involved with this by the way, I haven't a shred of criticism of their success.
    I do however have issues with the quality of the series, which a lot of people seem to share but are willing to ignore.
    I am interested in this. Seems to me, if you make sure your series is stylish before it is credible then a certain demographic will defend it to the death. It's this quotient of the viewership (most of the huge viewership, I imagine, think it's a diverting entertainment on a Sunday night, nothing more) who make all sorts of claims for it. That's fascinating and worthy of discussion on a television forum.

On the subject of the casting of the female leads, the girlfriends/wives are not typical of 'the type'. The women we are meant to emphatise with are the ones that the 'fanboy conversations' are about while the ones we are meant to feel sorry for or dislike are the those that are derided. That's a dramatic trick, an exploitation, and a lazy one. It's a trick as old as the good cowboy wearing a white hat and the bad one wearing a black hat and it is a concious and deliberate exploitation of the audience. It shows a lack of respect for the 'audience' in a series which claims credibility and truth for itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

I'd say nidge will kill darren .
    Would it be possible that nidge might be a super grass and get out of being killed in this series by dropping a few of the ra lads in it to get them out of his way in exchange for his freedom after that young one drops him in it to the cops ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

No. Now do not ask again.

Anyone supplying links will be dealt with.

What is the bloody problem??? It was just a ****ing question like..could someone PM me please if they know a sight to watch them on. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

closeline wrote: »
    What is the bloody problem??? It was just a ****ing question like..could someone PM me please if they know a sight to watch them on. Thanks

The bloody problem is that it's illegal, and as such sites like this can't condone it.

xtravision. For the princely sum of about €20

http://www.xtra-vision.ie/lovehate-dvd.html
    http://www.xtra-vision.ie/lovehate-series-2-dvd.html

• Advertisement

Fair play to all involved with this by the way, I haven't a shred of criticism of their success.
    I do however have issues with the quality of the series, which a lot of people seem to share but are willing to ignore.
    I am interested in this. Seems to me, if you make sure your series is stylish before it is credible then a certain demographic will defend it to the death. It's this quotient of the viewership (most of the huge viewership, I imagine, think it's a diverting entertainment on a Sunday night, nothing more) who make all sorts of claims for it. That's fascinating and worthy of discussion on a television forum.

On the subject of the casting of the female leads, the girlfriends/wives are not typical of 'the type'. The women we are meant to emphatise with are the ones that the 'fanboy conversations' are about while the ones we are meant to feel sorry for or dislike are the those that are derided. That's a dramatic trick, an exploitation, and a lazy one. It's a trick as old as the good cowboy wearing a white hat and the bad one wearing a black hat and it is a concious and deliberate exploitation of the audience. It shows a lack of respect for the 'audience' in a series which claims credibility and truth for itself.

I get your meaning alright there are no positive portrayals of strong female characters from what I have seen in this show compared say to the Sopranos for example. As much as I am hooked on Love/Hate it misses a trick by not developing one strong or even several strong positive female characters.

The series is credible and has been praised for its realistic portrayal of gangland life by those who have real world experience of it.

You keep saying it is style over substance but never really provide any evidence for this viewpoint.

What dramatic trick is that? And what difference does it make if it is a dramatic device? They are used in absolutely every good book and film. It is not an argument against the show that the producers employ the use of specific devices to engage the audience in a particular way.

I don't agree though that we are meant to empathise with the goodlooking female characters and pity the others.

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    The series is credible and has been praised for its realistic portrayal of gangland life by those who have real world experience of it.

You keep saying it is style over substance but never really provide any evidence for this viewpoint.

What dramatic trick is that? And what difference does it make if it is a dramatic device? They are used in absolutely every good book and film. It is not an argument against the show that the producers employ the use of specific devices to engage the audience in a particular way.

I don't agree though that we are meant to empathise with the goodlooking female characters and pity the others.

I am not saying that it is wrong to use dramatic devices, but the overarching concern here is to make the series stylish and appeal to a lowest common demnominator, which has severely lessened it's dramatic integrity. This casting and stereotyping would be laughed out of most theate had this been written as a stage play. Why is it different for television purposes.
    Darren for instance; is he there for his acting depth or primarliy for the way he looks? I think there is enough concern about his acting ability on this thread alone to use that as evidence if the casting of and writing of the female roles isn't a concern for you.

I get your meaning alright there are no positive portrayals of strong female characters from what I have seen in this show compared say to the Sopranos for example. As much as I am hooked on Love/Hate it misses a trick by not developing one strong or even several strong positive female characters.
    I can only think of one real life female in Irish gang culture and that's missus Gilligan, and the reason we know her is that bit by bit every piece of property she had was taken from her and it was publicized.

I am not saying that it is wrong to use dramatic devices, but the overarching concern here is to make the series stylish and appeal to a lowest common demnominator, which has severely lessened it's dramatic integrity. This casting and stereotyping would be laughed out of most theate had this been written as a stage play. Why is it different for television purposes.
    Darren for instance; is he there for his acting depth or primarliy for the way he looks? I think there is enough concern about his acting ability on this thread alone to use that as evidence if the casting of and writing of the female roles isn't a concern for you.
    Happyman...you are now insulting our intelligence....

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

the coolest coyboys always wore a black hat, for **** sake. what kind of a nancyboy cowboy would wear a white hat?
    that's absurd.

Happyman...you are now insulting our intelligence....

How so?

Would you get away with such casting and blatant stereotyping in the theatre? I don't think you would, in fact I know you wouldn't.
    It has been suggested on this thread that actors as a group are 'attractive' and 'goodlooking' and this is the reason this happened :rolleyes: and you suggest I am the one 'insulting intelligent life on Boards???:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Why is it different for television purposes.

Because television is different to theatre :confused::confused::confused:

You did say that though. You said it was lazy. I absolutely don't agree and I think you'd find most critics and writers wouldn't either. Every good book and film uses artistic devices and it isn't lazy -it's done to manipulate the audience into engaging with the work in a specific way or to emphasise something in particular. It does not lessen its dramatic integrity.

Again you've said that the series is style over substance but you haven't provided any evidence other than claiming that actors have been hired for their looks rather than abilities.

I would strongly disagree here; yes Darren is attractive but he's also a very good actor and has given fantastic performances in other shows. I think the debate over his abilities is unwarranted. In my opinion Darren's character is not meant to be scary or intimidating - which is the main criticism leveled at his performance. He's a good hearted man who got led off the beaten track and was seduced by the glamour of crime. The disintegration of his relationship with Rosie was the catalyst for his further involvement in that life. He is not meant to be as dark as Nidge or Fran. He's the good boy that got lost and even still his humanity is evident - his anger over what Nidge did to Tommy and his inaction when it came to Elmo and the kid who tried to shoot him. I reckon Darren plays this part well and the only reserve I have is his accent. However even with Nidge - an amazing actor - you can hear his real accent slipping through at times. Many brilliant actors find accents very hard to pull off.

Regarding the females, I would not have any question about their acting abilities. In fact, one of the reasons I think the series is well done, and I'm sure a lot of others would agree, is because it has a strong cast. Rte has failed in the past when picking actors - Fair City is an example. I think it is completely unfair to criticise the actors because a few of them happen to be attractive. They have all proven themselves to be able to portray their characters well. Nidge in particular is fantastic.

I also disagree that the 'stereotyping' would be laughed out of theatre. I don't think the show has stereotyped to the extent that you are asserting. I have spoken to guards who agree the show is well done and very true to life. The show in general is praised for its accurate depictions of Irish gangland life.

The fact remains it isn't written for the stage. A different medium entirely. Theatre heavily relies on 'dramatic tricks' by the way so criticising the show for using one is a bit silly if you are then going to go on and praise stage work. You never clarified what 'dramatic trick' you were talking about?

• Advertisement

Darren is going to kill Nidge.

That is my guess.

Nidge had/was close to killing Darren in last series in woods. It will come back on him.

With you there. In the exact same way i think Elmo could well finish off Dazzler in the end. Maybe not this series but down the line

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement