Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Loungers who Toga! Toga! Toga!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Stheno wrote: »
    Best wishes for you I hope it goes well
    bring some mint tea it helped my dad cope with nausea

Thanks! I hope I figure out quickly how best to cope with the effects. I know the first few weeks will probably be the hardest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mocha please!

Had cleaners in during the week to do a big clean of my house, was seriously disappointed at the job.

Not only did they not do what they were supposed to, but a load of cosmetics from moisturiser and body lotion to lip gloss have disappeared along with a tweezerman tweezers, some nail grooming tools and other small things

Not sure if they threw them out or puput them away somewhere but some of what's missing was on my bedside locker

In total so far there's over a hundred euros worth of stuff to replace if I don't find it

Oh god that's awful! I'd be furious!

Where did you find them? I've heard that hassle.ie site is very good, you can read reviews etc.

I very occasionally get a cleaner in, she's been my friends mothers cleaner for years so at least I know I can trust her. Can never find anything after she's been here though! It always turns up eventually, but not where I'd expect it. I want to do a big massive declutter/tidy of the house, then get her in to just literally clean, without having to move/rearrange stuff.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Oh god that's awful! I'd be furious!

Where did you find them? I've heard that hassle.ie site is very good, you can read reviews etc.

I very occasionally get a cleaner in, she's been my friends mothers cleaner for years so at least I know I can trust her. Can never find anything after she's been here though! It always turns up eventually, but not where I'd expect it. I want to do a big massive declutter/tidy of the house, then get her in to just literally clean, without having to move/rearrange stuff.

On the web they advertised that all the cleaners were referenced etc

I found some of what was missing but all the cosmetics are nowhere to be found other stuff was just thrown into random things, I found my makeup inside a light fitting

Never again

On the web they advertised that all the cleaners were referenced etc

I found some of what was missing but all the cosmetics are nowhere to be found other stuff was just thrown into random things, I found my makeup inside a light fitting

Never again

Last time our cleaner was in, I'd just spent ages sorting out all my clothes and the baby's clothes to pack away or give to charity etc. I very clearly specifically asked her by text to please clean the bedroom, but to leave the boxes and bags as they were - move them into a different room if necessary, but don't mix up the clothes. She only went and unpacked them all and folded/hung them away. :rolleyes: I think it may have been a language miscommunication. So I had to do the same job again in sorting them all.

On the other hand, I trust her in my house, and that counts for a lot!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Good luck Tarzana. Thinking of you. xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

Best of luck today Tarzana :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Mind yourself Tarzana. Hope it all goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Good luck, Tarzana. Thinking of you!

Been up since 5, out canvassing the train station. Four more days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Starting chemotherapy today. :( Wish me luck.

Best of luck today xx

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Best of luck Tarzana, hope everything goes well for you! *hugs*

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Went to make a cup of tea in work this morning and someone had used the last teabag and left the empty box :( Anger, rage etc

Anyway! I grabbed my purse from my desk and ran out the door to go to the local tesco to buy more tea. As I was walking out of our building, I noticed a schoolgirl falling over. I ran over to check if she was okay and she clearly wasn't. Another lady came pretty quickly and between us we got her in the recovery position and got her covered (she was shaking like a leaf). A man arrived and called an ambulance, and then another man arrived and said he was a doctor so he took over monitoring her breathing etc. The ambulance arrived and they took her off in the back of it. She hadn't regained consciousness in the 20 minutes I was with her. Scary stuff.

I hope she's okay. I just wish I could have done more!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Hope it all goes as well as absolutely possible today and for the rest of the treatment Tarzana. Thinking of you xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I hope everything goes ok for you, Tarzana.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭SillyBeans

Starting chemotherapy today. :( Wish me luck.

Best of luck with it. I'd say to drink plenty of fluids before you go and like was mentioned above the mint tea is supposed to be great. Ginger is supposed to help too, any excuse for a ginger nut :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Fingers crossed that it goes as well as it can Tarzana

Fair play to you sullivlo, some people would have just kept walking!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Fingers crossed that it goes as well as it can Tarzana

Fair play to you sullivlo, some people would have just kept walking!
    A lot of people did keep walking. It happened right at the door to my building and some of my colleagues just walked past without a second glance! Reminds me who not to collapse in front of ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Hope everything goes well Tarzana.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Fingers crossed for you Tarzana, hope it all goes well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Thanks everyone, one session down, 11 more to go. Still not sure how I'll cope with losing my hair but have just decided to deal with it as it happens. I'm sure it will be upsetting and just think there's probably not much I can do to prepare. Not going to get a wig though, hate them. Hats and scarves all the way for me, plus will experiment with drawing on eyebrows and wearing eyeliners.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Thanks everyone, one session down, 11 more to go. Still not sure how I'll cope with losing my hair but have just decided to deal with it as it happens. I'm sure it will be upsetting and just think there's probably not much I can do to prepare. Not going to get a wig though, hate them. Hats and scarves all the way for me, plus will experiment with drawing on eyebrows and wearing eyeliners.
    Mind yourself the next few days I remember my dad always found the day or two after chemo quite tough

• Advertisement

Aye. Rest up. Get plenty of fluids. And eat whatever you want even if it's deemed inappropriate to eat chocolate for brekkie.

Both my aunt and my friend have recently done the chemo thing and both found it helpful to shave their head when the inevitable happened - they had more control over the situation then.

Hope you're doing okay this evening. It's a bollox of a disease.

Best of luck with the treatment Tarzana.

It's quite likely that your sense of taste will change, sometimes bland foods will be best. I know it'll be hard at times to eat, but do your best to stay well nourished!

With my dad, the mouth ulcers were one of the worst symptoms. I don't think you can do much to avoid them, but at least make sure you have the treatments to hand in case they appear.

Treat yourself to some lovely moisturiser, you may find your skin drying out.

Drink lots and lots of water, as much as you can keep down.

I'm sure you've read up on the whole process and all of the side effects well. Remember that - as horrible as some of them sound, many people don't get bad side effects at all, and I'll keep my fingers crossed that you don't. (On the other hand, I guess you could look at it from the point of view that - if you're getting side effects - the drugs are obviously doing something!!!)

Make sure you have entertainment ... books, Kindle, movies, visitors. The sitting around waiting before and during the chemo sessions is the worst.

Wishing you all the best with your treatment and recovery!

Just to follow up on mochas post bonjeka and clove oil for the mouth ulcers, if they are very painful you can get a liquid anaesthetic called ambesol over the counter in chemists

A good handcream is invaluable both my dad and my ohs mum loved it as their skin got very frail

My dad also got into including Manuka honey in his diet on the recommendation of the hse!

On a purely selfish note, I've extremely short hair, and have gotten very grey lately, so got it cut today and decided to dyebit from its normal mousey red to garnier intense red copper

It's setting and is currently pure ginger I'm gonna cry if it stays that way

Oh tarzana another thing I remembered sometimes my dad just couldn't cope with food so he had some equivalent of complain that he used

My dad is BIG into the manuka honey too, he's taken a spoon a day for years now since he was diagnosed and believes that it helps a lot.

Well I did it. I lowered myself.

Cycling to work this morning and encountered a very vocal "no" supporter who was trying to force a leaflet on me while I was stopped at lights. I asked her how she could justify spouting lies about the referendum - she asked how could I justify redefining families.

Lights changed. I lowered myself to calling her a name and I cycled off.

A little ashamed of myself today now. Whoops.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I am officially not responsible for what I may say to any No campaigners I may encounter in Limerick this week, as they have completely brought it on themselves. :pac:

Last day in work before 3 weeks off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I stayed up all night and wrote and wrote. 3,000 words on Vampires (with no romance.) 3,000 words that leads to smut. And tomorrow I hope to write another 3,000 words that leads to heavier smut. Then I shall peddle smut and make my millions. It's giving me something to fill my days with at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Best of luck with everything Tarzana.

My housemate has been badgering us to vote no, she doesn't want 'them' being able to marry. Eh, fcuk off.

• Advertisement

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    Best of luck with everything Tarzana.

My housemate has been badgering us to vote no, she doesn't want 'them' being able to marry. Eh, fcuk off.

Kiss her and say "you're one of us now" :pac:

Advertisement