Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers who Toga! Toga! Toga!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

akamossy wrote: »
    I wouldn't go that far. Maybe it's just not for you. It's not for everyone and different people thrive in different environments.
    LenaClaire wrote: »
    I worked in catering for 3 months and I hated it with a passion, I was no good at it at all. That does not mean I was not capable at anything, just that I was a horrific waiter.

I am good at lots of other things, I just had to find them, hang in there :)
    I'm the same. I'm an awful waitress and will refuse to do it when asked by work but I know that I'm great at the retail side of my job and (as sad as it may sound) will jump to do that side of it. We all have our strengths and weaknesses in work so it's just about trying to work out what they are and getting yourself into the right area, even when it's only a small job. Employers don't help sometimes too. I was once accused of lying about my experience when they just threw me in the deep end because they didn't listen when I explained what I had done in my previous job.
    Thanks guys was having a couple bad days. I've never worked in a café before so the hectic environment was kind of getting to me. Had today off so hopefully tomorrow will be better. The manager is nice enough but can be a bit cutting and is fairly blunt when I make mistakes which is fair enough though I will admit I came close to getting upset on two occasions recently. This kind of work is all a bit knew to me :( I really don't want to be fired. I heard from another girl who worked their previously that she found it hard going and that the manager made her upset a couple times as well.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Waitressing can be really hard work, especially if you work somewhere busy and/or understaffed. I didn't mind bar work but hated doing food orders.

Can I join in the Stansted hate please - absolute hole of an airport, and I'm really bored. On the plus side, voting tomorrow!

Best of luck with the wedding RK :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Waitressing is tough until you know what you're at, but eventually it becomes really formulaic - drop menus, take order, give cutlery and drinks, clear plates, rinse and repeat. Once all that becomes second nature, the other bits will come more easily. After a while the stress of a busy shift will glide off like water off a duck's back. You find yourself engaging more with customers and hopefully making more tips!

Scarinae wrote: »
    Waitressing can be really hard work, especially if you work somewhere busy and/or understaffed. I didn't mind bar work but hated doing food orders.

Can I join in the Stansted hate please - absolute hole of an airport, and I'm really bored. On the plus side, voting tomorrow!

Best of luck with the wedding RK :)
    Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    Waitressing is tough until you know what you're at, but eventually it becomes really formulaic - drop menus, take order, give cutlery and drinks, clear plates, rinse and repeat. Once all that becomes second nature, the other bits will come more easily. After a while the stress of a busy shift will glide off like water off a duck's back. You find yourself engaging more with customers and hopefully making more tips!
    Thanks guys, I just need to get more confident in myself and stop putting myself down. My mum says I'm desperate for that and she's right and it reflects negatively on how I view myself and how I carry out my job. Hopefully it'll get better!:) I still fail big time at trying to carry two coffee cups or lattes on saucers down to tables though haha! I can only take one at a time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Thanks guys, I just need to get more confident in myself and stop putting myself down. My mum says I'm desperate for that and she's right and it reflects negatively on how I view myself and how I carry out my job. Hopefully it'll get better!:) I still fail big time at trying to carry two coffee cups or lattes on saucers down to tables though haha! I can only take one at a time :)

The trick is not to look at them if you can help it ;)

Oh, and buy decent quality shoes. I learned that one the hard way, and my feet are fecked at the age of 23 :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I finished my first written smut. Now comes the next hard part, designing a cover, writing a blurb, setting up a website, getting it up on Amazon, promoting it, and of course writing the next one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Slowly conquering my fear of the dentist. Went Monday and today.

Not as bad as I thought.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

herisson wrote: »

Not as bad as I thought.

Those gloves are damn tasty :pac:

Have done my civic duty. Now the waiting game begins.

herisson wrote: »

Not as bad as I thought.

My dentist likes to start a conversation and then shove various implements in my mouth while still talking to me, even though I can't talk back. I just end up sitting there nodding my head the entire time. :pac: I think he uses the time to rant about things he wants to rant about because you can't leave, but you also can't engage in a conversation with him.:pac: He's lovely though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

Can't get over the amount of people travelling home to vote. 'Tis warming the cockles of my heart!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

ShazGV wrote: »
    Can't get over the amount of people travelling home to vote. 'Tis warming the cockles of my heart!

Me too. There's something in my eye. And someone is chopping onions.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ciara1052

Went to vote earlier and there were so many people in their late teens/early 20s there - really happy to see it! I really hope that this passes tomorrow! Genuinely more invested in this than getting the results of my finals!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

OMG I'm so excited to leave the office and go vote!! C'mon 5 o'clock!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

I woke up at 5 and went voting at 8 :D

I'm so very nervous about the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

I headed home to vote after work as I'm still registered at my parents' house.

As I was leaving Dublin, there were people at the Collins Avenue junction at Whitehall proudly holding signs saying "Vote Yes for Me" and "Vote Yes for Us".

Well I literally teared up - dangerous levels of emotion while driving! I feel like this is the most important vote I've ever participated in and I have high hopes for the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

:D

There were people here with ''beep if you voted yes'' signs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭DuchessduJour

Incredibly emotional over the referendum. My very best friend in the world is a gay man, and he described today as the most affirming day of his life. With a bit of luck tomorrow will take the place of today in that respect. :)

I guess I have a fairly interesting perspective on it, as I identify as bisexual but most people assume I'm straight unless or until I say otherwise. So the result might even end up affecting me directly. What a day. :)

It definitely feels like something special is happening around Ireland today.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

sullivlo wrote: »
    It definitely feels like something special is happening around Ireland today.

I was a young student back in the nineties when we voted on abortion rights to travel and divorce, I remember travellling home to vote in them

The young vote then made a difference

My polling station guys told me they have had a huge turnout with a lot of young voters

I really hope it passes :)

I travelled home. Got to the voting poll at 9.55
    just in time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Can finally vocally call people out on their homophobic bs without fear of it being used as a weapon by the no camp ("they're bullying me by canvassing me! wah! wah! wah!). Over the last few weeks, I've seen a side of Ireland I never want to see again. There are some obnoxious, rude, horrible people in this country.

On the flip side, I've seen a side of this country that I wish I could see more. The smiles of encouragement, the nods in agreement, the people coming from all over to vote, the stories online. It's fantastic. I wish we supported each other like this more.

TL;DR - Canvassing is tough, but woo, hopefully it worked!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Happy wedding day, Kirby! :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭DuchessduJour

Happy wedding day, Kirby! What a glorious day for it :D

Happy wedding day RK!

Lads I'm so overjoyed with the tallies!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Oh Happy Wedding Day Kirby!

Happy wedding day rk :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Have an amazing day RK!

I hope you put a bike on your register. :P

I'm going to a stag tonight. Double celebration for me tonight! G'wan equality! :D:D:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Happy wedding day rk!

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭SillyBeans

Happy wedding day!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

Happy wedding day RK!

I think I'm probably going to be talking in exclamation points for the rest of the day, I'm so happy!

Advertisement