Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Loungers who Toga! Toga! Toga!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

My parents both voted no. Mum wouldn't tell me how she voted so I said ''so you voted no then''

Neither can give me an actual reason as to how they voted no...both pan out the ''well they already have civil partnership''
    Dad even said ''marriage should be between a man and a woman''

I honestly, couldn't give a flying f*ck if gay people can marry each other or not. Makes absolutely no difference to my life. It doesn't affect me either positively or negatively in real terms. So I went out of my way, adding 50km onto my journey home last night to vote yes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Good for you

Rk has some feckin sunshine for the wedding if it's like Dublin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Have a great day, RK!

Delighted with the result! Both of my culchie, practising parents voted yes, my father gave me some good solid reasons why he was voting yes, I was impressed and pleasantly surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

A GREAT DAY FOR THE PARISH LADS

\o/

Happy wedding day RK!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Congrats RK!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Woohoo what a day!!

Congratulations RK hope it's as amazing as you could have hoped and better x

So, my mam voted no because the government were going with yes...

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭SillyBeans

So, my mam voted no because the government were going with yes...

A member of my family was going to vote no because they felt that a tiny minority shouldn't control what the rest of us do...yeah... no amount of WTF from me was helping that one. They also felt that because so many people wanted to vote no, that exact proportion of TDs should have voted no too as otherwise he wasn't being represented. I'm too afraid to ask which way he actual voted in the end. I was banging my head against the wall after that conversation!:mad:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Great day delighted with the result :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

My dad voted no and the first thing he said to me today when I saw him after work was "I suppose you are delighted with yourself" haw haw haw yes I am actually, thanks :)

I was in the car with him yesterday after he voted (I'd done so a few hours berforehand) and he was going on about in another few years when kids are having birthday parties and if it passes it'll be two men or two women coming to collect them... Don't ask. I just stopped talking about it then, had had enough!

Doesn't matter now anyway :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Myself, exiledelbows and a mate of mine from college were the last out of the residents bar at 5am. Sun rising in Limerick. Go team :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I've actually seen people on some LGBT-friendly sites saying that it's crap that the gay marriage decision had to go to a referendum "because it's still just one group of the population telling the others what they can do".

I think we need to start giving more time in civics lessons to the notion of democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

The stag night last night was good fun. I was exhausted by the time I got to the club (being old and grumpy didn't help.) I was glad I brought my comfy PJs, it really made for a good sleep. I'm completely broke now but it was worth it to shoot eight out of the twenty five clay pigeons! I even hit one with my very first shot, the first time I ever fired a gun. Blam! It was even better to hear all the "Ooohs!" from behind me as everyone was impressed with my deadly shot.

Unfortunately the club we went to for the night didn't gay it up in honour of the day, which was a little disappointing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Should I be ok bringing my sportsbag as my carry on in ryanair? it's not massive

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Turns out the knee problems I have been having is caused by a torn cartilage in my knee. Asked the physio straight out and he said I'd require surgery. Not the greatest timing on my part, given that I only went to the physio on Saturday, and flew to Barcelona this morning! It has been in absolute bits and I've been trying to hide it as I don't want the others to feel that I cant do things, so I've been icing it loads, down to the bar to get a bag of ice, chuck it into one of those lunchbox bags which don't leak.

Any suggestions for a good shopping spot, want to pick up some Spanish sports bits, or a real touristy spot? Great fun because of my card having no sterling transaction fees, I'm in control of all the money

Highlight of the day, walking past a gay pride flag alongside an Irish flag on a random Barcelona street, picture to follow!

I've actually seen people on some LGBT-friendly sites saying that it's crap that the gay marriage decision had to go to a referendum "because it's still just one group of the population telling the others what they can do".

I think we need to start giving more time in civics lessons to the notion of democracy.

The amount of people I've seen saying that it is ridiculous it had to come to this is unreal. Do people not understand Ireland?!

No lads, we're actually extremely privileged that we GET to vote for changes to our constitution. It also means that the no side, can't really fight it once it has been passed.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

bluewolf wrote: »
    Should I be ok bringing my sportsbag as my carry on in ryanair? it's not massive

Yeah, you should be fine, standardish size kitbag is fine

FOOOOOOD!!!!

CFyxVAkW0AEAxa3.jpg

My short story of smut is up on Amazon. :D

I'm not going to post a link here, but if anyone TLL regular wants to see it PM me.

Now I'll just sit and watch it not sell.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

FOOOOOOD!!!!

CFyxVAkW0AEAxa3.jpg

If some of those cookies could find their way to Limerick that would be fantastic :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Send them to Cork as well! Beautiful day here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

What a stunning weekend to have gotten married, RK! Congrats! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Vayda

I know it's miles off and I've loads of time to plan, but I asked my first bridesmaid to be my bridesmaid when the time comes.

She was so excited she picked me up and hugged me! So that's a yes.

Congratulations RK, glad the weather went your way :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Ladies, I'm sorry for writing this here but I feel like it's the only place that I can. Feel free to ignore it or even move it if the mods want. I'm not looking for support, sympathy or advice.

I can't cope. Everything is falling to pieces just when I need to be at my best. I'm failing exams, doing nothing with my life, am broke and stuck at home when everyone else is doing well. I was dealing with that though. Then I lost one of my best friends just over a week ago and I can't stop thinking about him. Stupidly, in all my selfishness, I hadn't talked to him in ages and now he's gone so I never can again. I just wish that I'd known what had been going through his head and if I could have helped him. I wish he was still here and that we xould just rant about exams and other crap.

Now I'm meant to be going back into study to resit all the exams that I failed last time and I can't do it. I can't even pretend to get myself motivated. My head's all over the place and I keep having to tell people that I'm "alright" because I can't spill to them even if I wanted to.

Again guys, I'm sorry, I just needed to spill.

I'm sorry MCR, it sounds like you're going through a really tough time. I know what those are like, I'm still recovering from the trauma of being in hospital, my mental health was already on dodgy ground and after my time in there it's worse than it's been in a decade.

I'm trying really hard to keep myself steady. I've figured out along the way that you need to combine the basic things with some more complex things. You really need to sleep right and eat right. If you don't get enough sleep it will start to effect you, the same with eating healthily and regularly. If you can get some exercise, even 30 minutes of walking around not having to get anywhere will help. It's also really important to find something you can do and dedicate yourself to, without putting any strain on yourself. I spent the first month after being in hospital taking photographs and editing them all night. I spent the next month writing poetry, and this month it's all been about writing fiction. I found things where I could express how I was feeling really helpful. I couldn't share what I was going through with many people and artistic things helped me release my thoughts.

My short story sold its first copy today and the reader left me a review saying the characters were realistic, they acted how she would have acted in the situation, and she really enjoyed my writing. She left me five stars out of five and even though I felt delighted by that earlier today, by 11pm I was edgy, anxious and in a bad way, I even felt phsyically sick. I hadn't eaten all day and that really got to me. Promoting my books and that review got me through the day (an activity,) but not looking after myself messed up my night (not looking after the basics of my health.) I had dinner and feel much better now.

If I was you I'd try and do some study, even if it's only half an hour of lightly reading notes and your books. That will help with the exam anxiety. Then it's a matter of looking after yourself with sleep, exercise and nutrition, basic stuff but if you don't you'll really feel it. And finally you need to find something that can occupy you, try a new hobby where your active, mentally or physically. Allow it to take up your time and get as nerdy about it as you want. In tough times you need something that can take you somewhere else.

I'd also recommend finding someone you can talk to, a therapist if you can. I'm seeing my psychiatrist in a few weeks and I hope they'll be as big of a help as they were the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭SillyBeans

Ladies, I'm sorry for writing this here but I feel like it's the only place that I can...Again guys, I'm sorry, I just needed to spill.

Spilling is what the interwebz is for :) Hope you're ok? You've obviously been through a lot lately, don't be too hard on yourself. Maybe speak to whoever is organising your exams and explain what's going on? Most of all make sure you look after yourself :)

If some of those cookies could find their way to Limerick that would be fantastic :)

I brought some today but you weren't there :p

Was in Monserrat yesterday - I'm terrified of heights yet was convinced to go on the cable car. Beautiful, except I was in agony with my knee, faster I can get it operated on the better, can't take much of this. Friend did some release stuff on it before we started today, so can walk without a limp.

Watched the sunrise at 6.30am on the beach.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

I went to the doctor on Monday because I couldn't breathe. Flare up of asthma. Steroids and extra inhalers. Steroids have me wired and inhalers giving me palpitations. Walking anywhere is a nightmare - even upstairs I break out into a sweat, get dizzy and need to sit down. So I haven't gone to work. Despite not being fit for work, I still feel guilty for not going :(

On the funny side, saw a new physio from my surgeons team. She needs to rejig my shoulder muscles so gave me some stretches and exercises to do. Every time I do them I give myself an asthma attack from the exertion!

It's not unfitness or laziness either though. I'm genuinely struggling for air.

Asthma sucks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,135 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Indeed it does sullivo! :(

Advertisement