Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ruining a wedding

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭appledrop

screamer wrote: »
    I can better it, wasn’t at this wedding but here goes. A couple got married on a day when there was a 24 hour fast for charity thing, used to be popular a few years back. Anyways guests arrive to the reception, separated into 2 rooms, let’s say 40% given full dinner etc, the other 60% sat down to a bowl of rice and a note on the table to say that as it was fasting for charity day, 60% of people in the world have less than a bowl of rice to eat everyday and the couple had done this in solidarity and instead donated the cost of their food to the appeal, and they’d have rice only.I sh:t you not.

Surely this is a wind up?

Where did this wedding take place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭gifted

About 5 or 6 years ago I was at a wedding where the best man insulted homosexuals and disabled people in his speech. Extremely uncomfortable for everyone in the room that day. Still don't know what he was thinking.

What a backwards thinking fool. Ignorant people like that should be taken aside and educated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I used to work in a hotel that did weddings so I've seen plenty of shennanigans.

I've seen a bride get a box in the face off some guy at her wedding.

I've seen the mother of the bride get totally p1ssed and rip a towel roll thingie off the wall in the ladies toilet.

Here's a good one. I've seen the father of the bride spit on the groom and get up from the top table and walk out of the wedding just as the dinner was being served. Very classy that one.

I've seen another father of the bride get up from the top table and leave because one of the waiters served someone else's dinner to them first before he got his. If he had sat still, he would have gotten his dinner about 6 seconds later. Obviously there must have been more going on there than we knew about.

The best craic I ever had in work was working at a Traveller's wedding. There was murder but it was so much fun to work at. You'd pay to see the shennanigans. No seating plan. Men at some tables and women at other tables. One man refused to sit down for his dinner because "I'm not hungry boss. I ate a whole rabbit in Charlie O'Leary's house this morning". There was loads of boxing at it. People in the holiday homes couldn't get down to their houses because vans were used to block the car park exit while Armageddon was going on. I think that wedding ultimately cost the General Manager his job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Notmything

L1011 wrote: »
    Priest at a mates cousins wedding used the sermon to rant about the same sex marriage referendum.

Significant % of the guests walked out and stood outside until the couple came out.

Groom ensured he handed cash to the altar servers, organist etc personally, and asked the priest what the cost for the flowers was. Nothing for the 'expected' amount to the priest.

Priest decided not to come to the reception!

Arguably, not something that unexpected or abnormal for a religious wedding - you should know their rules/beliefs before using their facilities, but a ten minute rant was OTT.

In my brother's case the mass went off without a hitch.

Priest was a family friend so was at the reception, got well into a bottle of whiskey and was asked to a say few words.

Stood up, staggered and sat back down, proceeds to say some nice things. Then he cuts lose, comments how nice it is to be at a wedding for straights not a "queer fest". Mentions both families have good genes as he sees no "retards" or "spastics" in the room.

Finally, he commented that how nice that the only "blacks" he could see were working and not guests. Muttered something about Ireland losing its religion because of the foreigners before the mike was grabbed off him.

For me what was worse was my brother, new sister in law and some of her family cracked themselves up. Her lesbian sister didn't see the funny side.

That was just one thing in a reception that is still talked about.

Oh, I forgot. My own wedding.

This didn't ruin the wedding, it just added to the excitement and memorability but this happened when my best man was reading his speech.

He was doing a grand job, no insults etc. But he had a pile of pages and as he read a page, he discarded it onto the table. But there were tea lights on the table and one of the pages caught fire when it landed on the tea light and set fire to the top table. He put it out in about 1 second flat but it was funny when it happened. Especially as he is a member of the local fire brigade. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,532 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I wonder will there be any dramatics at my wedding? I might need to have a look at the list.

We'll all gatecrash roaring drunk and talk about a contentious topic, then start asking for the report button and mods.

Notmything wrote: »

Priest was a family friend so was at the reception, got well into a bottle of whiskey and was asked to a say few words.

Stood up, staggered and sat back down, proceeds to say some nice things. Then he cuts lose, comments how nice it is to be at a wedding for straights not a "queer fest". Mentions both families have good genes as he sees no "retards" or "spastics" in the room.

Finally, he commented that how nice that the only "blacks" he could see were working and not guests. Muttered something about Ireland losing its religion because of the foreigners before the mike was grabbed off him.

For me what was worse was my brother, new sister in law and some of her family cracked themselves up. Her lesbian sister didn't see the funny side.

And I thought priests were boring fcukers. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The only things that are ever remembered about weddings are the things that go wrong

We'll all gatecrash roaring drunk and talk about a contentious topic, then start asking for the report button and mods.

Savour looking at all those yellow and red cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Never have a wedding next to a pool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,209 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I was an altar boy at a wedding where the groom was stood up. Thought the bride was running late and then in came the bridesmaid up to yer man. There was no real dramatics, a bit of noise and everyone just awkwardly wandered off.

This was also one those unusual weddings during school time. So being the trust worthy types we were, we just ran to back to class. Normally our teacher had very little patience for weddings that interrupted our education, but when we got back he wanted to talk about nothing else.

I came in to post something similar. It has to be the ultimate ruining of a wedding. The wedding I was at also had the bridesmaid come in an hour after the kickoff time. The priest was at the door of the church pissed off surrounded by guests having a smoke and a gossip. She ran straight passed him and he ran after her. with the rest of us. A brief chat was had at the altar and then the groom, bridesmaid and priest went backstage. A minute later and the crying screams of the groom were deafening.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I came in to post something similar. It has to be the ultimate ruining of a wedding. The wedding I was at also had the bridesmaid come in an hour after the kickoff time. The priest was at the door of the church pissed off surrounded by guests having a smoke and a gossip. She ran straight passed him and he ran after her. with the rest of us. A brief chat was had at the altar and then the groom, bridesmaid and priest went backstage. A minute later and the crying screams of the groom were deafening.

I'll never understand why they wait until the poor groom is waiting in the church, as least the bride gets a heads up and isn't humiliated like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Notmything

The only things that are ever remembered about weddings are the things that go wrong

Such is life sadly.

I, for one, shall indignantly protest my innocence. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

Jesus. That brown wedding.

Put it in a movie and nobody would accept it. Extreme.

What is this brown wedding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

My cousins first wedding, she got married to a little 5ft nothing scruffball the image of a younger Bobby Ball, marrying beneath her in every sense..the wedding was a disaster, the best man arrived at the church absolutely hammered drunk, he was sent packing and my dad stepped in to be best man... some of the behaviors of both the groom and his family and friends was shîte quite frankly...

The groom later with a bit of Dutch courage on board decided it would be a good idea at the reception to commandeer the mic and sing and ‘seranade’ his new bride, going right up to where she was sat, down on one knee and belting out everything from Rod Stewart to Andy Williams to Chris De Burgh without so much as a note in his head...or need for a mic for that matter. Band were in creases. It stopped being funny after three songs and everyone just looked in amazement at what a tosser she was marrying...Mental... his father n law eventually got up, ripped the mic off him had a word with him to one side, my uncle Mick would have been a mild mannered well to do kind of man but he was seething and flinging expletives left and right...

Turned into a decent night but a lot of people in the aftermath were saying .. “can’t see that lasting”... lasted 3 years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Real life Fr Jack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

The only wedding I've attended had an Irish bride and English groom. Grooms side of the church was full, brides side almost empty bar her family because the Irish guests hadn't the manners to not stay in the pub during the ceremony.

Said Irish guests had organised a bus to the reception, a 20 minute drive away, which left for the hotel half empty because people just plain refused to go. The bus stopped at every pub on the way and lost a few stragglers at every stop. 10 people got off the bus at the hotel.

The meal was attended by less than 50% of the invited Irish guests meaning wasted food and quite a sad sight on the wedding video of half empty tables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,170 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Kind of. Twas me that did the ruining. Won't go into any more detail than that. Great satisfaction from it though

go on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Covid. Ruined thousands of weddings.....

remember the thread about the guest sh1ttin himself all over the hotel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

remember the thread about the guest sh1ttin himself all over the hotel?

Link was posted up a few pages back.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bigmac3

I was at a wedding about 10 years ago, best man was making his speech, he mangled it. He meant to say that the brides father used to put her to bed with a dummy, now she’s going to bed with a dummy again. What he said was "brides father used to put her to bed with a dummy in her mouth, now she’s going to bed with something else in her mouth"

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

cena wrote: »
    Has anyone here ruined a wedding or been to a wedding that was ruined? Let us say, someone has stood up during the mass service and said that this person should not marry him or she.

I can think of few things in this life I hate with a passion more than a wedding reception.

It is as if some dark, evil anti-human force created the concept with the very idea of getting as many people into one place and making them as uncomfortable and miserable as possible while pretending they are enjoying themselves.

You want to find something that is completely devoid of love - it's a wedding reception.

I loved the way the sheer dysfunctional hell of the experience was brilliantly portrayed in the movie Melancholia. The world ending was actually being a relief compared to the wedding reception said it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭mmc2010

I was at a massive wedding in Donegal a couple of years ago and the groom had a serious opinion of himself. The bride's family were much more down to earth and obviously thought the groom was a bit of a d*ck. The father of the bride stood up and obviously thought this was his opportunity. He told everybody to look under their chairs where there was a photo of the groom dressed in drag as a joke. It was seriously cringe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I was at a wedding once where I was at a long, boring ceremony in a magic House, followed by waiting around, followed by mediocre fare and hackneyed, poorly delivered speeches, laboured conversation with people I hardly know, and sh!t music, followed by trying to drink the pain away, followed by the worst hangover ever and being 500 bucks worse off.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

I have a cracking tale of a ruined wedding. But na, you guys wouldn't be interested.

It's more a Shelbyville story

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SSeanSS

I can think of few things in this life I hate with a passion more than a wedding reception.

It is as if some dark, evil anti-human force created the concept with the very idea of getting as many people into one place and making them as uncomfortable and miserable as possible while pretending the are enjoying themselves.

You want to find something that is completely devoid of love - it's a wedding reception. I love the way the sheer dysfunctional hell of the experience was brilliantly portrayed in the movie Melancholia. The world ending was actually a relief compared to the wedding reception said it all.

I like them. Think most people do genuinely enjoy themselves. Having said that i like this thread. Something funny about drama at a wedding because there is way too much focus on everything going right on that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dowhatyoulove

My husband worked in a hotel where the best man went off with the bride that night and the groom stood downstairs and paid for the hotel with the wedding cards.

Prob about 10 years ago now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

I was at one where a guest spiked some people drinks with drugs and then they beat him to a pulp when they found out. They weren’t drug users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Everytime the best man makes a joke everyone just says "Thanks"

I was also at a very good one where an aunt of the groom got p..sed and started heckling the bride’s father while he spoke. She was saying “we’re simple people, we don’t need to listen to your sh..e.”

Cool as you like, he said “Wow, and here’s me thinking alcoholics are meant to be anonymous...”

I was at one where a guest spiked some people drinks with drugs and then they beat him to a pulp when they found out. They weren’t drug users.

lucky them

I was also at a very good one where an aunt of the groom got p..sed and started heckling the bride’s father while he spoke. She was saying “we’re simple people, we don’t need to listen to your sh..e.

Cool as you like, he said “Wow, and here’s me thinking alcoholics are meant to be anonymous...”

Classic comeback! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

A wedding where the bride pooed in her dresses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,862 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I was best man at my mates wedding.
    Proper full on church of Ireland wedding...very little fun, prim and proper types. Minister in the church talking about not going to bed on an argument. "As Elton John said" *shouts loudly* " and I certainly don't agree with his lifestyle" *long silence* "don't let the sun go down"
    Great craic altogether.

Years ago I was at a wedding in a large Midlands hotel. Went out for a breath of fresh air with another lad who was going outside for a cigarette. We were both well oiled at this stage. Walked back in and the function room door opened as a couple of kids came out. We strolled in and made our way to the bar. Ordered a couple of pints and started supping again and chatting away. A few minutes later the bride comes to the bar and nods at us. We raise our glasses in a kind of "howya" way at her and then suddenly realise we are in the wrong function room and this isn't our wedding.
    Casually strolled out and found our own wedding and kept on going!!

I'd love that! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,933 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I, for one, shall indignantly protest my innocence. :p

I for two...
    Shall defend your right to protect your innocence!
    I may also strip and helicopter the lad!

banie01 wrote: »
    I for two...
    Shall defend your right to protect your innocence!
    I may also strip and helicopter the lad!

See? It's going to be an epic wedding!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭99nsr125

I was at a wedding for a bloke I worked with . Him and his family are working class Dubs while the wife's side of the family thought they were a bit well to do. Anyway best man giving the speech says " I'm delighted derek met a beautiful woman like yvonne because he's been with a far few mingers in his day" everyone starts laughing except the mother in law . He then says" I don't know what everyones laughing at , there's a few of those mingers sitting in this room " . The mother in law storms off and the bride and her dad run off to console her. Thankfully she back after a few minutes and everything passed of peacefully .

That's a great joke ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭99nsr125

bigmac3 wrote: »
    I was at a wedding about 10 years ago, best man was making his speech, he mangled it. He meant to say that the brides father used to put her to bed with a dummy, now she’s going to bed with a dummy again. What he said was "brides father used to put her to bed with a dummy in her mouth, now she’s going to bed with something else in her mouth"

Brilliant just absolutely brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,317 ✭✭✭CoBo55

17larsson wrote: »
    I spilled red wine on the brides dress.

For weeks later I thought it was just a drunken dream and didn't think I did actually spill red wine on a brides white wedding dress, until they said it in passing one day.

They are a sound couple and laughed about it. She said she was on her way up to change anyway.

I'm just glad my memory of that evening is empty

Oh Jesus the dreaded flashback...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

My friend was at a wedding and the brides aunt was caught riding the best man in the toilet . It wouldn't have been to bad except her husband was at the wedding aswell. He said there was murder for about half an hour but luckily enough it was near the end of the night so it didn't ruin the wedding and gave people lots to gossip about the next day

99nsr125 wrote: »
    Brilliant just absolutely brilliant

Freudian slip!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,317 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I'd say I'd be favourite to get the first straight red:pac:
    I've been very good lately, must be the new meds;)

I remember when I was younger (maybe 12) I was at my cousin’s wedding.

I was walking behind some people from one room into another.

They stopped and so did I, but unbeknownst to me the bride was walking behind me and carrying a drink.

She walked into me and spilled a little bit of it on her dress.

I was quite upset though when she said “you little f..ker!” with real anger and hatred in her eyes.

Poor form in my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

My brother told me of a Dublin wedding where father of bride didn't like his new son in law.

At the speeches he kept getting hassled to do a speech; he really just wanted for thing to be over and get out. A few kept at it; "go on Christy say a few words" etc etc

He stood up and said "today I lost a daughter and gained a gobsh1te" and sat down. Was a quite affair after that I believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Stovepipe wrote: »
    I was at a wedding in Mayo, one time and the meal was quite late so everyone had plenty of time to drink. The first loud argument was at about 7 pm, the first fight at about 9 and it went downhill from there. It's where I heard the classic line from a drunken wife to an equally drunk husband, who was rolling back his jacket to get stuck in, " Don't hit him,Francie! You'll mark him for life!". The next day, it was declared a great success by many. I thought I was doing well to get out in one piece.

Was this a Shrule/Kilmaine wedding? (Not held in Shrule obviously!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Pyr0 wrote: »
    Why bother even saying anything then? :confused:

So people will buy my book when it comes out

• Advertisement

• My brother told me of a Dublin wedding where father of bride didn't like his new son in law.

At the speeches he kept getting hassled to do a speech; he really just wanted for thing to be over and get out. A few kept at it; "go on Christy say a few words" etc etc

He stood up and said "today I lost a daughter and gained a gobsh1te" and sat down. Was a quite affair after that I believe

LOL. Some absolute gems of stories in this thread. Haven't been so lucky to go to one of these spectacular weddings. Every wedding I've been too has been tame enough.

Advertisement