Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruining a wedding

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,061 ✭✭✭✭beertons

There was a row at my wedding. My side of the family, 6 couples sent on their way around midnight. No idea what it was about. Years ago now, so don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Was at one about ten years back where the best man speech was not well received.

He started off by going on at length about how much of a player the groom had been before meeting the bride, and how many notches were on his bedpost.

He then moved on, describing how the bride was so drunk on the night she and the groom met, that the groom had basically 'carried' her home, before presumably riding her.

He continued to sprinkle in attempts at humour, but each story and joke sucked all the air out of the room. When he paused for expected laughter, he just heard shocked murmurs. People stared at each other in disbelief. It was horrific, but like a car crash in that you couldn't look away or stop listening.

The bride waited until the speech (mercifully) ended, before running back to her room to bawl her eyes out, accompanied by family. I understand that the groom and the best man never spoke again after that day, but the couple are still married.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

cena wrote: »
    Has anyone here ruined a wedding or been to a wedding that was ruined? Let us say, someone has stood up during the mass service and said that this person should not marry him or she.

Was at a wedding where the father of the bride's speech lasted nearly an hour and only once the bride was mentioned at the toast at the end. The speech was basically a name dropping and nod to guests of importance to the father of the bride.

Another wedding one of the groomsmen punched the groom, there was reservations with having one of the brothers as one of the groomsmen but the grooms mother insisted that the brother couldnt be left out, he ended up spending the remainder of the night in a Garda cell.

I may have indirectly ruined a wedding, out one night and a group of girls fawning over one girl, how she was glowing, how lucky she was, how its 'not too long now' etc. I knew some of them, was in the smoking area and she refused a cigarette offered to her, wasnt drinking. She had a bump and looked 4 or 5 months pregnant so I congratulated her and asked when she was due. There was silence, girl looked on the verge of tears, and it turned out that she had lost a couple of stone in advance of getting married which was to be in a few weeks. Felt awful and valuable lesson learned!!:o

I find that hard to believe, unless the guy was an absolute simpleton. He surely would've noticed he needed to change rolls at some point during the day.

Actually there was one family wedding where something similar happened. The videographer got his tapes mixed up after rewinding tapes used and used the same tapes again recorded over the ceremony, speeches, the important stuff really. All that was left was footage of the scuttered antics after 1am. Yer man tried to blame it all on kids that were there messing with his gear (when he was at the bar). Early 90's and some people in the family still not talking over it and the blame game.

Nesta99 wrote: »
    Actually there was one family wedding where something similar happened. The videographer got his tapes mixed up after rewinding tapes used and used the same tapes again recorded over the ceremony, speeches, the important stuff really. All that was left was footage of the scuttered antics after 1am. Yer man tried to blame it all on kids that were there messing.
    In fairness, he may have had a point?

All our home videos from the 1990s involve kids zooming-in on a pair of an aunt's breasts (???) or someone's arse, and the sound of howling laughter. Even now when i find an old tape, I think to myself "oh this will probably be just a video of the aunts' tits" (or whatever). So bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Back around the mid 90s working a wedding where the bride was catholic and groom was a protestant, this wasn't obvious to me at all until well into the dancing, the band called the groom onto the dance floor where he was blind folded and put on a seat. The bride comes dancing in wearing a celtic football top, whole place laughing their asses off but when the groom takes off the blind fold he didn't see the funny side of it at all, starts shouting at the bride and then storms off in a huff, most awkward silence ever, band didn't know what to do.

Another time the brides uncle was a RUC officer and had obviously had run ins with a few of the groom and his family/mates, so later on in the evening they spot him going to the toilets and drag him out an exit door and kick the crap out of him, bride was raging and grooms attitude was "he deserved it", that wedding ended right there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

I was at one (which broke up after around three years).

The groom, his groomsmen and best man, plus his family seemed like complete scum.

The best man in his speech advised the groom to adopt the same philosophy as Ronaldo throughout his marriage...“always go down in the box”.

I remember all these grannies looking confused.

It was ridiculous stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I find that hard to believe, unless the guy was an absolute simpleton. He surely would've noticed he needed to change rolls at some point during the day.

The exact same thing happened to a cousin of mine.

In fairness, he may have had a point?

Nah, he just rewinded a tape and then ended up putting that tape back in the camera thinking it was a blank tape. He should have broken the tab or at least labeled the tape. Kids are all mischief but not doing away with hours of footage. He was too fond of being at the bar himself like a guest rather than being paid to be there...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

lab man wrote: »
    Are they still together?

Yep. Coming up on 30 years now, running a family pub in the rural area the Groom hails from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

.....so elope......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

The groom got drunk and decked the best man!
    The marriage didn't last either.

Was that a Limerick wedding, involving a couple of lads from 1 GAA club, by any chance

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Mentioned this thread to my husband and he reminded me that at his brother's wedding, the cake was burnt - to the point that the hotel couldn't serve it.

None of the guests realised; there was a plate of cake put out with the evening food on each table, but none of us knew it wasn't the wedding cake - it was cake that the hotel had managed to pull together.

It was 2 tier - one sponge and a tiny fruit cake top tier (to keep the oldies happy) and apparently when the bride and groom had cut the cake and it was brought back to the kitchen to be sliced, the staff discovered the sponge was completely burnt.

It was a cake they'd ordered from a wedding cake company and it wasn't cheap, but they eventually got their money back from the baker, after a bit of hassle. Seemingly they initially denied anything was wrong with the cake and only when confronted with photos that they finally refunded them.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

This is a fun thread.

I think the worst I have seen was a wedding with the best man telling stories that were really inappropriate about groom....it involved crapping yourself at a roundabout...and went on for ever and ever....
    He looked ashamed the whole night, got a big telling off seemingly.

Tame in comparison!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Toots wrote: »
    I was at a wedding in Greece where the photographer just didn’t show up. They were meant to be photographing from the church onwards so nobody copped they hadn’t showed until after the ceremony. All the guests just rowed in and took loads of pics - one of the uncles was decent with a camera so he sort of took charge and did a few shots etc.

Back to the hotel and everyone is sitting down eating their dinner when the photographer shows up and starts insisting that the couple get up from their dinner and go to get photos taken. The best man politely but firmly told them to eff off. Still don’t know why they showed up 6 hours late.

It happens more than you'd think.
    We used a sharing app for our wedding so everyone could take photos on their phones and share them with us and each other.
    It worked great, also had a photographer who was great craic too but the whole range of pro and candid shots was brill IMO.
    Only thing I regret is not having proper videos, none of the speeches and given my son was 12 and co-best man when we got married...
    He skewered me, roasted me to absolute bits and was brilliant at it...

Little prick ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Best man and father of the bride speeches, nothing dramatic. Father of the bride (a joyless bunch of snobs) talked for what felt like an age about ",Our Lady" and the couple following the blessed sacraments.

Another the best man speech mostly consisted of him talking about Liverpool FC and some goal by Scholes.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Best man and father of the bride speeches, nothing dramatic. Father of the bride (a joyless bunch of snobs) talked for what felt like an age about ",Our Lady" and the couple following the blessed sacraments.

Another the best man speech mostly consisted of him talking about Liverpool FC and some goal by Scholes.

:D

Just catching up on the thread, and thinking, from the various anecdotes, probably nerves or trying too hard to be funny can lead to the best man making a mess of a speech.

I have never been to a wedding that was ruined.

I was at one where the father of the groom made lots of in-jokes (not anything rude but just family stuff) that meant nothing to anyone else, except his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Just remembered one I was at a few years ago.

The bride was a distant cousin of the wife and let's just say she would not look out of place on a Jeremy Kyle Special. Single mother, kids all over the place, different absent dads and all the usual drama/sob storied to go with it, life on benefits. At one stage she was shacked up with a father of one of her kids in his childhood house...best bit...the mother had been brutally murdered by the father who is in jail and there was still dried pools of blood in the house that the had'nt bothered to clean up.

She got married to a totally different guy (father of child #4) whose background and family history is a complete mystry. From a different country and all we can gather is that he was told to leave..registry office job and small reception...he had absolutely nobody (friends or family) on his side at the wedding so the rest of us had to shuffle across to the other side to balance to crowd. The reception was non existant...we just gathered in a disused conference room at a hotel down the street and the hotel brought out bowls of finger food. There wasnt even seating (chairs were all stackedup). We just stood there picking chips for a couple of hours. We were home by 4pm.

TBH most people just stayed out of sheer politeness and we genuinely felt sorry for them. Again this is in England.

Just remembered one I was at a few years ago.

The bride was a distant cousin of the wife and let's just say she would not look out of place on a Jeremy Kyle Special. Single mother, kids all over the place, different absent dads and all the usual drama/sob storied to go with it, life on benefits. At one stage she was shacked up with a father of one of her kids in his childhood house...best bit...the mother had been brutally murdered by the father who is in jail and there was still dried pools of blood in the house that the had'nt bothered to clean up.

She got married to a totally different guy (father of child #4) whose background and family history is a complete mystry. From a different country and all we can gather is that he was told to leave..registry office job and small reception...he had absolutely nobody (friends or family) on his side at the wedding so the rest of us had to shuffle across to the other side to balance to crowd. The reception was non existant...we just gathered in a disused conference room at a hotel down the street and the hotel brought out bowls of finger food. There wasnt even seating (chairs were all stackedup). We just stood there picking chips for a couple of hours. We were home by 4pm.

TBH most people just stayed out of sheer politeness and we genuinely felt sorry for them. Again this is in England.

....the 'joys' of multi system failure.....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i hate speeches, i find it awkward hearing family stuff that is only interesting to them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I heard from the priest that did my wedding, he was conducting a ceremony a few weeks earlier and the groom had a bit too much whiskey that morning, legally speaking the priest couldn't marry them because it's the signing of a legal contract and you can't be under the influence

Speeches should be banned from weddings. I've yet to hear one that didn't make me cringe.
    A time limit would work better I think.
    I wrote a little poem that was about 2 minutes for one of my best mates and people loved it.
    The issue is they can literally go on for hours...zzz

• Registered Users Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'm getting married next week, with a grand total of six guests. Fúcking delighted about it to be honest, even before reading this thread :-)

I'm getting married next week, with a grand total of six guests. Fúcking delighted about it to be honest, even before reading this thread :-)

best of luck, perfect wedding in my eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

I worked with someone many years ago who was The Other Woman. her boyfriend was due to be married, met her and what have you. Guy still went ahead and got married anyway then filed for divorce the following day.

Also at a wedding where the groom spoke about his employer and career not during the speeches but in his vows something along the lines of how important the bride was she was up there with his career. he has since proved that his career is in fact more important than his wife

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Did the same at the end of February.. You'll have a great day. We made it our own.. Hoping to have the reception later this year. Enjoy it

If I ever get married, it's a small chapel/registry office with one or two witnesses and maybe two or three people extremely close to me. Go all out on a honeymoon after.

The rest just seems like unnecessary convoluted and tedious nonsense.
    I got married in registry office two witnesses, one other friend came along to take pictures, lovely posh dinner in shanahans, cocktails booked in nice hotel after that. Went to a gig that night. Stayed in the marker for it all day or two before and after.
    We headed away on small holiday to Vienna two days after.
    Zero stress, had a brilliant day, got to splash on nice suits, meals the whole time, hotel etc.

Only issue was covid put the cabosh on our big actual official honeymoon to Italy, but hey hopefully next year! We still have credit in the hotel at lake garda

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

gmisk wrote: »
    A time limit would work better I think.
    I wrote a little poem that was about 2 minutes for one of my best mates and people loved it.
    The issue is they can literally go on for hours...zzz
    I was at a wedding where some guy spent about 40 mins just talking about the history of the hotel. It's the oldest hotel in Ireland apparently. Who gives a fook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I'll never understand why they wait until the poor groom is waiting in the church, as least the bride gets a heads up and isn't humiliated like that.

Maybe she did it for revenge on him for something?

Still, mortified for him.. Imagine being a man bawling like that in front of a whole church. You'd look ridiculous. Take it on the chin and keep yourself together ffs.

I heard of a wedding where the groom didnt turn up and after much waiting around, I think one of the grooms people arrived and informed herself and her parents of the situation. Well after a few minutes she composed herself, went to the lectern and informed the crowd gathered that there would unfortunately be no wedding today but that the reception was all ready and paid for so everyone should go along and enjoy the nice meal and the band and make the most of the day that was in it.
    That's how it should be done

• Advertisement

I did something very similar, worked out perfectly.
    It should be all about what makes you as a couple happy.

Congratulations and have a lovely time.

Advertisement