Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Is it just me, or do those rear wing endplates look as if they're sinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

It does move , not what I would consider a lot, Alpine on the other hand the footage from Alonso car , that flex's fair amount . The Alpine text on the wing just gets further away from you .
    @ 7m47s if I don't link it properly
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FB2Qy5jfgY&t=467s

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Seems all of the wings "flex" to a degree. For Merc to call it out, it is a case of using is as a back up to stifle their rivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

It has passed the tests so maybe the FIA will have to change the test in order for it to be illegal.

Well Merc complained so it will be illegal next week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TheQ_Man

There was a comment during the race where Corft said something along the lines of "We in the commentary box don't care who wins, as long as there is good racing".

I think my neighbours heard me laugh at that one.

Yes indeed he did say that. I shouted at the tv when I heard it. If ever there was a guy willing to bend over for Hamilton it’s him.

• Advertisement

AMKC wrote: »
    Kind of ironic really that Mercedes wanted more expensive and complicated not less complicated engines if it was going to remain in the sport.
    I suppose because they already had a head start on them and had already started work on there Power units they knew they would be ahead of all the other teams so they did not really care.

I read somewhere this was part of the reason for their return in 2010. Lauda used this as a selling point to get Hamilton when they realised Schumacher was slow to commit. More expense gives yes, but how much has the dominance earned them in sponsorship, tv time and other endorsements. It sickens me. Team LH44 my hole. I bet those who complained about the Ferrari dominance would prefer that now over this. Ferrari only had 2 good years, 02 & 04.

That is basically the British media in a nutshell.

Schumacher was only successful because of the car, Hamilton is because be is great.

Give...me...a...break.

When interviewed on Top Gear Schumacher admitted after being asked by Clarkson it was the car. I wonder what would Hamilton say? Probably a laugh while thinking of his PR trained answer

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Well Merc complained so it will be illegal next week!!

Teams protest each other all the time, but Mercedes do it and they're somehow worse than anyone else. How does that work?

I suppose the narrative here is just Mercedes = bad

skipper_G wrote: »
    Teams protest each other all the time, but Mercedes do it and they're somehow worse than anyone else. How does that work?

Well when Mercedes have swept all tithes before them in all bar 1 season since Hamilton joined them it says something. He only had one season with them in the pre turbo hybrid era, it yielded a solitary victory in Hungary. I’d take the Ferrari/Red Bull dominance again at this stage. At least when Rosberg was in the Merc it made it some bit entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

skipper_G wrote: »

It was said tongue in cheek! I do get the impression that had it been Haas who complained there wouldn’t have been any notice taken... like you said, teams protest all the time!

• Advertisement

TheQ_Man wrote: »
    When interviewed on Top Gear Schumacher admitted after being asked by Clarkson it was the car. I wonder what would Hamilton say? Probably a laugh while thinking of his PR trained answer

And to give Schumacher his due, he went to Ferrari when they were a total shambles. He made them that powerhouse, and boy did he work hard at that.

Might as well post my favourite Top Gear moment of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭barryribs

And to give Schumacher his due, he went to Ferrari when they were a total shambles. He made them that powerhouse, and boy did he work hard at that.

One thing I always admired is the fact that he left what was a run away championship winner for a new challenge. Realistically he would have challenged for the championship in 96 and 97 in those Bennetons too. I doubt we'll see the stability that he, Brawn and Todt brought to Ferrari ever again.

barryribs wrote: »
    One thing I always admired is the fact that he left what was a run away championship winner for a new challenge. Realistically he would have challenged for the championship in 96 and 97 in those Bennetons too. I doubt we'll see the stability that he, Brawn and Todt brought to Ferrari ever again.

It is something that gets overlooked a lot, his decision to leave a team that could have done more to go to a team to try make them the powerhouse they became. He doesn't get enough credit for that, and it is for that reason I see him as the best of all time. He sought out a real challenge, and excelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,560 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That was brilliant. Only someone as legendary as Micheal Schmacher could pull that off. Really do we should have known. All the clues were there. The way he walks and sits down. Brilliant scripting. I don't think we will ever get Top Gear that good ever again. I will admit Clarkson is/was an overgrown child but he was also very funny on Top Gear for many season untill it just got utterly stupid.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

https://streamable.com/6xb9xv

So this is a video of the rear wing flex that Merc complained about in relation to RB. It does move, but they all do under load. It has passed the tests so maybe the FIA will have to change the test in order for it to be illegal.

Jesus there is a lot of flex in the wing alright. Whether it's legal or not is up to the FIA to decide.

If you follow the tip of the shark fin where it ends and watch how the wing moves in relation to it as he speeds up on the straight and then as he brakes into the corner. There is a visible bit of flex alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Jesus the alpine wing is nuts. Those stepped rear wing end plates are perfect for allowing flex .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,142 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Would love to see Lewis move to one of the other big teams on a two year contract. But he's clearly in cruise to retirement mode.

someone got really into this and added grid lines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBWUefSl5tI

Hamilton must be going for world eyesight champion. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭sk8board

It really doesn’t matter if it was Mercedes protested it or someone else, this one is a slam dunk.
    They all see the RB wing was flexing, the pit Lane is a very small community and every team has a race team back at HQ monitoring every last thing - merc’s HQ race team is over 60 people

Like the RP brake ducts last year, only one team needs to protest (although Mclaren and Renault both took the lead that time, a s Renault then further appealed it too). ditto for the secret Ferrari trouble the previous season.
    A protest from the heritage teams probably carry’s more weight.

• Advertisement

Loads of online chatter last night from F1 journo’s that they were at a Mclaren event yesterday to preview some ‘huge’ F1 news for this Sunday at 6pm - and it’s under a very strict embargo apparently.
    Cant imagine what it would be at this stage in the season, but If it’s some sponsor or indycar announcement, I’ll be very disappointed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

sk8board wrote: »
    Loads of online chatter last night from F1 journo’s that they were at a Mclaren event yesterday to preview some ‘huge’ F1 news for this Sunday at 6pm - and it’s under a very strict embargo apparently.
    Cant imagine what it would be at this stage in the season, but If it’s some sponsor or indycar announcement, I’ll be very disappointed!

I've read some of the comments over on r/formula1, and some have made some good points.

Only F1 journalists seem to have been invited - no sportscar journo's or Indycar journo's were invited so it seems unlikely to be a WEC or Indycar announcement.

Buxton on Twitter says the event took place not at the MTC, but at their old building pre-MTC which is now used for the GT division.

https://twitter.com/wbuxtonofficial/status/1392370712611065858

Pen Rua wrote: »
    I've read some of the comments over on r/formula1, and some have made some good points.

Only F1 journalists seem to have been invited - no sportscar journo's or Indycar journo's were invited so it seems unlikely to be a WEC or Indycar announcement.

Buxton on Twitter says the event took place not at the MTC, but at their old building pre-MTC which is now used for the GT division.

https://twitter.com/wbuxtonofficial/status/1392370712611065858

Saw that too, let’s see I suppose.

A new McLaren F1 I'm going to guess. That Jon Noble tweets finishes with #f1 which I can imagine him smirking about as a way to get around the embargo. :pac:

It really doesn’t matter if it was Mercedes protested it or someone else, this one is a slam dunk.
    They all see the RB wing was flexing, the pit Lane is a very small community and every team has a race team back at HQ monitoring every last thing - merc’s HQ race team is over 60 people

Like the RP brake ducts last year, only one team needs to protest (although Mclaren and Renault both took the lead that time, a s Renault then further appealed it too). ditto for the secret Ferrari trouble the previous season.
    A protest from the heritage teams probably carry’s more weight.

Is it a slam dunk? Are the FIA going to make suggestions for materials which are perfectly stable under 5g or moving through the air at over 300km/h?
    To my eyes the RB moves less than I'd expect of something hitting air resistance at high speed. If it passes the tests then you're right, it's a slam dunk. ;)
    It's a bit different to flexing front wings when they were dragging on the ground, that was a kind of on/off benefit. With the rear wing, yeah the move it lowers the better (on a straight) but I don't think any of the teams have a wing which doesn't move at all.

It moves a lot more that the Mercedes wing based on the clip with the over laid grid , but not as Much as the Alpine wing form what I could see in other videos
    Not sure the Trip to Monaco will show any changes to the rear wings , but races after that yeah we might see come changes there.

Cheating or not , it's a real clever use of Aero that you can see. I am impressed . I like seeing these things .

It's also entertaining watching the teams spy on each other and then Rat each out when it suits best.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭barryribs

I wouldn't consider it cheating, I think that it was probably designed to pass the FIA test and flex as much as possible. FIA will likely change the test for the amount of flex on the rear wing, but if I was in Red Bulls shoes, I wouldn't be happy for different parameters being tested mid-season.

barryribs wrote: »
    I wouldn't consider it cheating, I think that it was probably designed to pass the FIA test and flex as much as possible. FIA will likely change the test for the amount of flex on the rear wing, but if I was in Red Bulls shoes, I wouldn't be happy for different parameters being tested mid-season.

I was thinking of the Merc steering ingenuity from last season - there was immediate outcry but it required a new rule and only outlawed from the end of the season. Considering the nature of F1 reg’s, was ingenious really. I imagine the other teams wondering why their own in-house brains hadn’t thought of it :D

This is different in that the reg already exists for flexing.
    It’ll be interesting to see how it pans out.

A new McLaren F1 I'm going to guess. That Jon Noble tweets finishes with #f1 which I can imagine him smirking about as a way to get around the embargo. :pac:

Wasn’t that the speedtail? They even limited it to 106.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I was thinking of the Merc steering ingenuity from last season - there was immediate outcry but it required a new rule and only outlawed from the end of the season. Considering the nature of F1 reg’s, was ingenious really. I imagine the other teams wondering why their own in-house brains hadn’t thought of it :D

This is different in that the reg already exists for flexing.
    It’ll be interesting to see how it pans out.

I thinki heard the DAS system was suggested as far back as 2012. None of the teams thought it was worth it. Mercedes was really showing off how much spare cash they had by developing it and putting it on the car.

They might have gotten some marginal gains using it under safety car. They were never really beaten from safety car restarts last year but Lewis doesn't look as invincible in the same circumstances this year.

The DAS was seen as a symbol of Mercedes ingenuity rather than a really big gain for the Mercedes car.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement