Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Morning all

Noticeably cooler this morning, first time putting on a light fleece in weeks. I wonder is that the end of warm weather for this year?

Paid for the kids school books this morning. Back in school two weeks tomorrow!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Good- I do enjoy the sun, but cloudy humidity is not fun!

I was away last week; didn't go far (I am not emotionally prepared to face the airport yet 😂) but ended up with a tropical island holiday I didn't expect! ☀️☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I flew out of Dublin airport on Thursday afternoon and it was grand. Only 6 people ahead of me in the security queue. I think all the flights are delayed though, ours was delayed about 45 mins on the way out and an hour on the way home. Then when we landed in Edinburgh, there were no ground staff available to put the steps up to the plane, so that added an extra 10-15 mins. I'd still rather not have to endure it all and a Tropical Island holiday, without leaving your back garden sounds ideal 🏝️🍸️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

Flew back to the middle east last week and the airport was fine. Security took 10 minutes, which meant all the extra time I had allowed was spent playing hide and seek with the youngest elf.

Chatting to a few different people over the last couple of weeks who have flown out of Dublin and all had good experiences.

I wonder are the media only interested in the horror stories!

• Advertisement

I chose the ferry port over the airport and really enjoyed it, years since I travelled by ferry! It is just so much more laid back. 🙂

Agreed, really enjoyed the ferry and would definitely do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭gidget

Went into Argos in The Square today & oh my word what a transformation. It was like a ghost town in there, haven’t been in there in ages, so not sure if business has really taken a nosedive, since reopening after lockdown.

Usually when I go in there’s a few customers with staff on tills & the distributors, but today I was the only customer with another coming in as I was leaving, most of the monitors that has the catalogue on them were turned off, no staff on the tills, in fact it was the distributors taking the order dockets & payment.

Be interesting to see how it does over the build up to Christmas, as usually around now they would normally be advertising for the temp staff for the upcoming months.

Post edited by gidget on

• Registered Users Posts: 30,298 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Personally I think getting rid of the catalogue has had a negative impact on their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭gidget

Oh without a doubt! I could understand that it would have been harder for them printing it the first year of covid when businesses were closed up, but to decide to get rid of it completely was a huge mistake.

• Advertisement

Even if they tried charging £1 or even 50p for the catalogue, I would have preferred that option than completely getting rid of it altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,911 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

A lot of people are after taking financial hits over the last few years and I predict Christmas won't be the same in terms of the mad shopping sprees of the old days

Feel for a night out nowadays €50 won't get you much and don't get me started on the MUP

One in the Pavilions closed a while ago. I must admit that then looking to buy something Argos doesn't really pop into my mind anymore. I think the likes of Amazon has had a big impact on their business.

Morning all

Fresh and overcast start here and looks like rain on the way. I think the warm, sunny weather is definitely behind us now.

The kids were asking about going back to school this morning. Will make the make the most of the last couple of weekend before all the activities and parties start back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

This time two weeks, ours will be on Day 2 of the new school year! Although I know I'll miss the sound of them in the house while I'm working, I am looking forward to getting back into the routine! And to be honest, I think they are too! The eldest two definitely need some distance from each other...the bickering has ramped up by 1000% in the last week 😥

Haha, I could have wrote this! Exactly the same in our house, oldest two getting on each other nerves (not to mention OH & mine). Back to school will be good for all of us!

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭BK5

Was talking to a couple of people in HR this morning in work and we got round to talking about the Christmas staff party in early December.

We were saying how in only a few weeks time we need to get a poster made up for it and get tickets printed out for it etc, gave me a tingle I have to say 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭jellybear

Drove by a sign for Christmas party nights in a local hotel a few minutes ago. Nice to see things returning to normal 🙂🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Have been off work for last 2 and half weeks and heading back tomorrow - had a lovely break but I just can’t believe that I’m back!! Time is just going too fast these days, it makes me sad as nothing much has changed in my life circumstances for the last number of years so I feel it’s passing me by sometimes but Christmas gives me a feeling of warmth still :-)

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself leahyl, the last couple of years have very difficult and different to what we are use to. Life can be like that sometimes, nothing seems to happen for ages and then it's all change in a short period of time. Stay positive, you never know what is around the corner and as you said, we always have Christmas :)

• Advertisement

I think the special offers on the biscuits and sweets will be interesting this year and will there be much of a price increase.

Similarly I think they'll be a big increase in turkey/ham and the big shop you do before Christmas.

We made a small turkey and ham dinner for my sister before she went back to UAE and it was a nice ew euros more expensive than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,911 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Be interesting alright

Could be a lot of 3 for €20 etc

Not to mention the cost of the Christmas lights!!

I'm turning 30 this year and it's sort of scary. If I bump into lots of people it feels like we have and have grown up but not like out parents.

I started school 25 years ago in 1997 and there were lots of parents there who'd have being 30 and below and they all had houses, etc and generally more set up. Lots of us would be almost afraid to commit to relationships because, having a family now in away. Now I'm not saying we all want families and we aren't happy but times just seem to be different in away. I don't know where the time has gotten to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,173 ✭✭✭✭DvB

All I know is that if you think reaching 30 was fast, hold on tight because 30 to 50 goes in the blink of an eye.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,173 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Our twins were born when I was 38 (i turned 39 soon after) and those 11 years have genuinely gone frighteningly fast.

Kids definitely gonna make you sweat 😀

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

oh how I was wish I was only turning 30 freshpopcorn! I’m 37 and not a sign of a thing happening in terms of relationship, my own house etc! It’s different for everyone I guess. I don’t like to have regrets but alas, as the song goes “regrets I have a few…” ! Anyway, this is supposed to be a happy thread!

I know it's going to go fast. In a few years you'll realise that you'll be 40 soon. I don't really mind it. You've just got to make the most of it but sometimes I just have these moments when I'm like where is the time going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭A cup of te

Starting to get excited now. I think between Strictly news and the soccer being back on I am thinking that it's not long now :-) My mam saw a sign for a winter wonderland in Treacy's Hotel in Waterford last week and it got me thinking about visiting Winterval in Waterford this year if it's on. Looks really Christmassy.

I am on the wrong side of 35 now as well and every year just gets faster and faster! Life is way too short. I was so scared of turning 30 as well. Now I'm fearing 40 :-P ah, no, what I find brilliant is I don't have the energy to care what anyone thinks anymore. That's been so great ;-) so there are some good things about ageing!

Advertisement