Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Woke up this morning to what can only be described as looking like a November morning. The dew was white on the grass. There was fog everywhere and by the hill the sun was breaking through and it was really mystical looking. Reminds me of a frosty morning but obviously it's still summer. I notice blackberries are out already, the hazel nuts are starting to get brown at the tips and Hawthorn berries are getting red. Also rose hips on my Rosa rugosa are bright red.

Those offshore breeze's by the coast remind me of November too. I've a feeling it's going to be a calmer winter than usual, and there's going to be nice scenes of offshore breeze's and big clean waves rolling in from the Atlantic . I love the straight clean surf over an otherwise flat ocean. Watching them fall like dominos, even more fun when you're on a surfboard shredding along and getting the odd wipeout....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

The Snowman creator Raymond Briggs dies aged 88 - The Irish News

RIP Raymond Biggs, creator of the The Snowman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Part of my childhood that, happy times brought tear's to my eyes. Its a great story, it brought tear's to my eyes at an early age.

A modern day fairy tale.

Sorry, missed this post earlier. Posted mine while doing about 3 other things!

Morning all

Another beautiful start here, warm already, even though to be honest it never really cooled down!

Wednesday already so another week hurtling along......

@Jude13 good to hear from you, hope all well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Jude13

@TRS30 hope all is well with you. I got back to Ireland for 3 weeks and just returned to work this morning. 'Heatwave in Ireland' to 47 this morning here. We got to see almost everyone, and more importantly had 3 days in kerry with the OH without the wee ones which was lovely, even though a certain ex-politician took the room we had asked to be upgraded too (verbally told it was a dead cert and then rowed back on, the hotel couldnt have been nicer and looked after us).

It was Limerick-Dublin-Wexford-Dublin-Wexford-Limerick-Kerry-Limerick-Dublin. Toooo much driving for a 'holiday' but its the only time this year we would be home and needed to see everyone.

All good here thanks.

Sounds like you had a good time back in 'old sod' even with all the driving (at least we have decent roads these days- thanks EU).

We have a weekend away planned for Nov, just the two of us. First time in over 3 year, looking forward to it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Sad news. The cartoon is a permanent fixture every year in our house. A classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,126 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Gonna be a warm one today folks.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

My home office is fairly reaching boiling point even with windows open as far as they can go!

• Advertisement

Same. have the blinds closed though as the sun is beaming straight in the window onto my monitor if i don't, the thermometer is already saying its 26 degrees in the room.... can only imagine what it'll be by noon!!!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Am inflating the swimming pool as we speak. It's for the kids, I promise 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Jude13

I am just picturing Homer Simpson in a paddling pool fishing a half eaten hotdog out to eat. Ive promised the smallest elf a trip to the pool this pm.

On amazon prime last night Home Alone 2 came up as a suggestion and I didnt get the buzz as movies are so accessible. Will the new generations ever know the joy of waiting until these movies were being shown on tv.

Too warm for hotdogs, would be an ice cream 😂

With pretty much everything on demand these days, the trill of coming across something you want to watch on TV is gone, unfortunately.

& renders my purchase of the christmas edition of the RTE guide an act of futility borne of nothing but tradition as scheduled TV is rarely watched by us or the kids nowadays.

100%, heart over head purchase the last few years.

Will still buy it every year, if only to do (try) the crossword.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭pigtail33

It's not just TV shows that we used to have to wait for. I remember listening in to the Hotline on 2fm in the evenings, waiting to hear whatever my favourite song was at the time. That thrill when you turned on the radio and just happened to catch the opening notes!

Remember stop/starting the tape on my aunt's boom box to record the songs I like on the weekly Top 30 on 2FM!!

& pray that the DJ didn't speak over the song you were recording 🤣

Exactly!

Great result for your guys last night.

• Advertisement

yeah, myself & the kids were jumping around when the goals went in, looking forward to the extended european run now. Depending on who we get in the groups will look into going to 1 or 2 of the way games.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,793 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

August is not meant to be this hot, hope everyone is enjoying it

Could it be a white Christmas given this late summer heatwave ?

WFT in the kitchen, watching the kids out the window playing in the pool. I'll be in with them at 6.01 pm!!

We definitely need a white Christmas, starting Christmas day when the house is stocked and I don't have to go anywhere for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

Have an alarm clock with a room thermometer on it. Bedroom usually around 21/22. I brought it out to the garden and popped it on the table in full sun. Took it in when it reached 46 😱 cos I was afraid it would melt.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Checked the thermometer in my home office at 3pm before going down to make a cup of tea & it said 36 degrees! Was actually cooler outside.

Morning all

Obviously another hot and muggy start here. Looks like the good weather is set to stay till Monday. Looking forward to a weekend outside.

Happy Friday guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Morning All,

It's roasting in here already, thermometer is at 24 & my home office is at the back of the house, doesn't get any sun in it until the evening time! We are planning on getting some of our attic conversion finished in the next few weeks & moving our office up there, was only thinking yesterday when I was opening the windows to (try) let the heat out, that I'll be scorched up there next summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭BK5

Morning All, had to work outside all day for a project in work and don't want to be complaining but it wasn't easy.

On the bright side I have the day off and the company is having a BBQ/social event later on this evening and into the night as it's the first time in 3 years that a staff party can be had. With this weather everyone is really looking forward to it.

• Advertisement

I can confirm that an attic office (south facing) is roasting!

Advertisement