Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I think this is a common enough issue. They open it small and add to it over the next few weeks.

The rush to open it for all those social media hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Yeah, but this year it's really sparse - I'd always go in when it opens, normally on the first day and it's always had a lot more stock. Hoping it gets better. I will say though, what they do have is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭tscul32

Found myself flicking through my Christmas cookbooks this morning so decided to check in here to see if Christmas is on anyone else's mind. Seems we're all in the same place 😁

Our littlest Elf declined the offer of a Santa experience last year. He turned 10 in Jan but as the youngest of three I think he's just a bit more aware than the others were at that age. But we're doing our traditional overnight in Belfast to visit the Christmas markets and get the Christmas spirit into us. Booked the hotel yesterday. The boys always say it's their favourite part of the run up. Had considered trying mainland Europe market but we've booked Disneyland Paris for Jan so we'll leave the continental market until next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Moving2017

I had been wondering at what age the magic starts to go. Belfast Market is a lovely one, but I hadn’t thought of it as a place kids might like!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I went to to the Belfast Christmas Market last year and really enjoyed the little break. 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭tscul32

They're boys and think with their stomachs. They love the food and dessert options 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Hopefully Ailawee cave will open this Christmas. It's a nice spot if you're interested in dark caves and a rugged landscape. There's Bunratty Castle and Folk park too. Lot's of light's, and a mixture of the victorian Christmas and modern Christmas. Used to bring my son there, he loved it.

Brought my nearest and dearest to the Christmas banquet too, it's amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jude13

Big fan of Bunratty castle all year around. Also two ice-cream parlors across the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Morning all

Dull and over cast start here. Yesterday was a cracker and much nicer then expected so got and made the most of it.

Hope all had a good weekend. Last full week of summer holiday here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

That night look absolutely fantastic. How much would that cost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

I'm not sure, but hopefully this Christmas myself and my lady and our son's will head for an evening. As far as I know kids can go too.

It's not too expensive, I'll see if I can find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Moving2017

Some schools are back at the end of this week.

I think it’s time to prep the garden for longer evenings and cooler nights, I wonder when the first mince pie will appear in store, it’s normally around back to school time from memory!

@DvB is the man with the connection around mince pie stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,202 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Well, i know of one manufacturer who is in production a while now. Not sure when they actually start to sell them in their shops though. Will ask them later in the week when I'm back out with them. But it is usually early/mid September when they start to appear IIRC.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

I'm definitely going to freeze a few this year. Hate the boxed ones in supermarkets though. Much prefer proper made ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jude13

Im limited to gluten free pies due to being soft. The only ones I can get at M&S which I think are pretty good however I caveat that with 1) I only starting eating mince pies two years ago and 2) I have only ever had M&S GF ones.

For me the last few years the Avoca ones have easily been the best. Generally try to pick up a packet any time i'm in one of their shops in the BER months.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Oh, I must keep an eye out for them for the mince pie eaters in my family. 😁

The Tesco gluten free ones go down well in our house.

As someone who thankfully doesn't have to worry about gluten I tend to go all in on the mince pies and go for the highest calorie count possible. Its such a limited treat (timewise) that when having them I reckon I may as well go all in!! In reality I probably eat a dozen maximum from Sept-Jan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,357 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

What annoys me about supermarket mince pies is the suppliers can change from year to year.

I think we often got on well with the Dunnes puffy pastry one's.

The OH got really nice mini ones last year as well, I think they might have been Dunnes, though not 100% sure.

Anyway all this talk of mince pie is making me hungry so off for lunch (boring wrap and definitely not mince pies!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I definitely buy the good ones too, and hunt down the All Butter Pastry ones. If I'm going to treat myself, I'd much rather it tasted the best it can.

Must try and get my hands on the Avoca ones this year, I trust your recommendation DvB, like myself, I know you love all the dried fruit baked goods!

Is anyone else getting threads showing as bold even though they were the last poster??

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Yea i am since yesterday

This makes it seem close!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

That is actually terrifyingly close!!!

Booked tickets to a pumpkin patch thingy. Excited as next time I’ll be booking a family event it will be a Christmas experience!!!

• Advertisement

I want to watch Home Alone now!

Advertisement