Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Kolido wrote: »
    Hey guys, trying to remember a movie I saw years ago, maybe 10 years, a group of young ones go to a cabin for the weekend, typical horror fair. Another guy shows up and holds them hostage or tries to kill one of them. Think he is related to one of those already there. Ring any bells?

Happened upon this movie by chance the other night. I'm oretty sure this is the one I was thinking of.

Truth or die

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1838722/?ref_=m_nv_sr_1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,283 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Irish movie set in Dublin. Teenagers. Groups.
    Use of smartphones. The main character is texted by phone to meet up with the rest of them in Henry Street. When she reaches there, she texts them to ask where the rest are. Oh they didn't actually go to town. She tries to take her life.

2011 thereabouts

Maybe this

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2092011/

Or

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1787054/

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Irish movie set in Dublin. Teenagers. Groups.
    Use of smartphones. The main character is texted by phone to meet up with the rest of them in Henry Street. When she reaches there, she texts them to ask where the rest are. Oh they didn't actually go to town. She tries to take her life.

2011 thereabouts

Could it be 'I used to live here'?

spurious wrote: »

Bang on. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Quiet Achiever

I saw a type of horror/mystery movie over three decades ago that I think we had on video.

There was basically a big house where a son had been locked in the attic, may have been eating rats.

And then there were guests being hosted in that house and he was sabotaging the whole thing.

The scene I really remember is that a lady was in her room and going to wash from one of the old Victorian washing bowls with a big jug. When she splashed the water on her face it turned out to be acid and all her skin started melting off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Thanatosgratus

House of the Long Shadows? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085693/

House of the Long Shadows? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085693/

Judging by imdb I don't think so but I will try to watch to confirm :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Thanatosgratus

maybe this clip may help, I remember the acid scene as I had to look up Vitriol in the dictionary as that is what the water jug contents had been replaced with and I didn't know what that was back then

That's it! Brilliant, I had that in the back of my mind for years, thanks a million :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

For some strange reason I thought there was a recent film The Goonies 2?

wtf can I be thinking about? I saw a film in the last couple of years about kids that I would have sworn was the non existant The Goonies 2.

Is there something similar I could be thinking about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,854 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Stranger Things? IT? Both with groups of kids that could be mistaken if you just saw part of it

What was it about? What year did it appear to be made?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Stranger Things? IT? Both with groups of kids that could be mistaken if you just saw part of it

What was it about? What year did it appear to be made?

I'm (re)watching goonies now and all I can think is that I must have watched the original recently as its all very familiar even after more than 30! years.

I must be confusing it with some other recent kids film but can't think what it might have been. Chances are I'd either have the DVD or a copy on HDD of what I was getting mixed up with and I've searched through and can't find anything?

Only other thing I can think of with kids is Super 8 but I don't think it was that. I somehow convinced myself that whatever it was was a remake/version 2 of an old classic but I'm starting to think I was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Worztron

Hi. I recall a movie (almost certain it was from the 1980s although possibly from 1990/91). It contained a few stories. One story involved a beast/monster inside a wooden crate in a building. Any idea, guys? Cheers.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,678 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi. I recall a movie (almost certain it was from the 1980s although possibly from 1990/91). It contained a few stories. One story involved a beast/monster inside a wooden crate in a building. Any idea, guys? Cheers.

Creepshow, I'd say.

Creepshow, I'd say.

Cheers, DN. :-) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creepshow#%22The_Crate%22

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

1970's made for TV movie or episode of something, only vaguely remember the ending. Set on a yacht, story centres around this small statue which I think is cursed. Several people on the yacht want the statue because its valuable. The yacht goes on fire, there are a number of shots of a black cat. The very final shot is of the statue slowly floating to the bottom of the sea, there was this creepy soundtrack with singing/chanting during this final scene, vaguely reminiscent of that heard in the opening credits of Children Of The Stones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭MfMan

1970's made for TV movie or episode of something, only vaguely remember the ending. Set on a yacht, story centres around this small statue which I think is cursed. Several people on the yacht want the statue because its valuable. The yacht goes on fire, there are a number of shots of a black cat. The very final shot is of the statue slowly floating to the bottom of the sea, there was this creepy soundtrack with singing/chanting during this final scene, vaguely reminiscent of that heard in the opening credits of Children Of The Stones.

Cruise Into Terror

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077382/?ref_=tt_urv

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭RickBlaine

I was watching Lethal Weapon 2 and at the end there is a fight in an empty ship cargo hold. It got me thinking of a fight scene in another movie in a ship cargo hold filled with grain. Probably another 80s or 90s action movie but I can't think of it. Anyone have any ideas? It isn't the silo scene in The Quiet Place. It is a much older movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,678 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

There's a grain silo scene in Witness, but not a ship cargo hold...

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭RickBlaine

I remembered it was Tommy Lee Jones in the fight which quickly led me to remember it was US Marshalls from 1998.

https://youtu.be/O02t06pJ9mo

• Advertisement

Hi. I can't think of the title. I thought Scott Bakula was in it but may be wrong. Any ideas? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Hi. I can't think of the title. I thought Scott Bakula was in it but may be wrong. Any ideas? Thanks.
    flight from hell.
    scott bakula imdb page -> 90s actor credits.
    quicker than posting here.
    lmimdbtfy.

flight from hell.
    scott bakula imdb page -> 90s actor credits.
    quicker than posting here.
    lmimdbtfy.

I could be wrong about the actor and the title rings no bell but that could still be the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

MfMan wrote: »

Yes, that's it thanks, I saw it on tv in the late 70s /early 80s and it's been bugging me for decades as to what it was. Sorry I didn't spot your post earlier.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I could be wrong about the actor and the title rings no bell but that could still be the one.

AKA 'Mercy Mission -The Rescue of Flight 771'.
    The scene I remember most is the passengers in the Air NZ plane looking out for him. Based on a true story apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭CPTM

I have a memory of watching something on Irish TV in the 1990s, of a child on their own, approximately 7 or 8 years old, climbing through a bleak looking electric power substation. It was a tense mood with ominous music in the background. The substation was huge, looked like the picture I've linked below but bigger. I think the start of the scene was a close up of the boy, and then the camera zooms out to show the full size of the station.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/peigov/36917913085

It comes back to me everytime I pass one of these stations but I can't quite remember what it was. Was there an ad on tv like this? Does it ring a bell for anyone else?

**Ah sorry Mods, I just saw there's a sticky for these kind of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

There was an ad to was of dangers of climbing them where the kid was climbing up one to retrieve a frisbee and got electrocuted. Dont know if that is what you are thinking of.

https://youtu.be/1sxZAhi7Qak

This one? Can't embed it as on mobile

Edit- got it sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭CPTM

https://youtu.be/1sxZAhi7Qak

This one? Can't embed it as on mobile

Edit- got it sorted

That's it!!! I just got goosebumps watching that, just as scared as I was the first time. I would have been about 4 or 5 years old. Thanks very much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,322 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah that was scary as a kid and the 'where's Grandad?' one as well which also had the little lad drowning in the barrel or the other one with the toddler drowning in the paddling pool in one inch of water while the mother is on the phone

Advertisement