Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 3) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Owen Roddy is taking the piss - Its been nearly 40 minutes since I have seen new 205 related content - THATS TOO FÚCKING LONG!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

JJayoo wrote: »
    Not a peep out of McG both times Eddie mentioned him getting another chick knocked up. Is this a rumour that has been doing the rounds?

maybe tom egan is pregnant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Useless Fact(s) of the Day:

Conor setting more records -

1. The stream for the presser peaked at 200,000 Live Viewers, which is the most for a scheduled presser in UFC history. Conor-Diaz 1 Presser with Dave Sholler and the bodyguards peaked at 226,000 but that was impromptu. For context, the UFC 200 presser peaked at 108,000 Live Viewers.

2. Boards MMA had 169 viewing the forum during the Presser which is the most since, well, ...August.

3. The Gate record for MSG has been broken. It was $13.5 million for Lewis v Holyfield. Both Dana and Conor say it's been broken. It'll be disclosed officially at the end of Saturday night.

4. The North American UFC Gate Record (and the worldwide UFC gate record) has also been broken. It stood at $12.1 million for UFC 129 (with an attendance of 55,000)

5. Bit early on this one but if the usual metrics are to be applied, UFC 205 is set to break the existing 1.65m PPV record and surpass the 2m buys barrier. Dana said he was confident of it doing more than 2m during an interview a few hours ago.

For anybody remotely interested in this - some clever person did a little bit of research and found the following:

If you remove McGregor v Alvarez from the card, based on all existing data, it would only bring in a Gate of roughly $4 million. Which is fantastic for most UFC cards. It would bring in a PPV buy-rate of 850,000. Again fantastic for most cards.

So the estimate of what Conor brings to the table for this fight is roughly 1.1 million PPV buys and $9 million in Gate. For a total of an additional $75.3 million gross revenue to the UFC before expenses, fighter pay etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

https://twitter.com/thedkano/status/796779080100155392

Brilliant,meltdown if he shows up.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,078 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

5. Bit early on this one but if the usual metrics are to be applied, UFC 205 is set to break the existing 1.65m PPV record and surpass the 2m buys barrier. Dana said he was confident of it doing more than 2m during an interview a few hours ago.
    It will almost certainly break 1.65m, but I don't think we can say 2m is a certainty.

For a total of an additional $75.3 million gross revenue to the UFC before expenses, fighter pay etc.
    Their gross is less than 60 per PPV. Probably $28-36, Which puts the McGregor money at $45m

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    It will almost certainly break 1.65m, but I don't think we can say 2m is a certainty.

Their gross is less than 60 per PPV. Probably $28-36, Which puts the McGregor money at $45m

Yeah i read the re-negotiated terms with broadcast partner was 55-45 so $32 but you get my point... it's still tremendous gross revenue for the UFC & broadcast partners :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 431 ✭✭Killergreene

Wonderful, I really wish we had all done a whip around on the forum here to get you a ticket and flights to this event. No one would deserve it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Anyone else think turning up late helped McGregor's "mental game", whether it has any real effect or not? Instead of getting to sit there and fire off one liners as the media focused on Conor, suddenly, Alvarez is the one facing media questions, some even about the fact that Conor wasn't there to take their questions instead. Or am I thinking too much into it at 4am? It almost drove home the fact that the press conference is mostly just a CmcG presser.

"Where's Poochie?"

Wonderful, I really wish we had all done a whip around on the forum here to get you a ticket and flights to this event. No one would deserve it more.

Ah thanks.

I think you'll find a more likely scenario is a whip-round for a one-way trip to Siberia with no wi-fi so i'm not posting long-winded essays at 430am :pac:

Boards has always had a community feel to it. Strange as it might sound, i'd genuinely be concerned if Mellor or Marcos or Depp suddenly disappeared for a few weeks.

A lot of really good people post in this forum, even those i usually disagree with, and I hope that's not lost sight of in the next 72 hours. The real whip-round should go to Axwell though - he's gonna be kept very busy with Yellow and Red Cards when the forum gets swamped on fight night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Everyone going on about the belts... You know they're all identical, right?

Well yes, except the FW belt is 10lbs lighter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Not a peep out of McG both times Eddie mentioned him getting another chick knocked up. Is this a rumour that has been doing the rounds?

He handled it brilliantly.....Eddies bomb bombed and he ended up looking round the room like Jeremy Stephens in a 'who the **** is that guy' moment

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 39,078 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's funny, all the fighters keep saying that said they don't need to talk like Conor, or walk like Conor, act like Conor etc.
    I can't help but notice that over the last 2 years, every single other fighter is turning to press conferences wearing 3 piece suits.

They might not even realize they are doing it. Maybe dirty t-shirts and wooly hats are no just no longer in fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,542 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

My money is on his information being wrong. At this stage, Stevie Wonder could tell you Dee is pregnant. I was told a while back that it was with twins and that word came on the grapevine from someone connected to a top SBG fighter. Whether that's true or not we'll wait and see.

I'd be extremely surprised if he got another girl pregnant. Purely because he's been in camp rock solid for the last 5 months and before that he was in camp for Diaz 1 and Aldo. The only realistic explanation for that conspiracy theory would be if he fooled around with some girl at his Diaz 2 afterparty somewhere. Just can't see it happening.
    Iv no idea if what Eddie says is true but iv seen Connor on the piss in Lillies the last week in August, So to say he's in camp flat out for 5 months is wrong, ,

Not saying there's anything wrong with that but he does go out Dublin and enjoys himself the odd time which he's completely entitled to like everyone else,

Not saying there's anything wrong with that but he does go out Dublin and enjoys himself the odd time which he's completely entitled to like everyone else,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

It's funny, all the fighters keep saying that said they don't need to talk like Conor, or walk like Conor, act like Conor etc.
    I can't help but notice that over the last 2 years, every single other fighter is turning to press conferences wearing 3 piece suits.

They might not even realize they are doing it. Maybe dirty t-shirts and wooly hats are no just no longer in fashion.

Thought that myself and hes now moved on to Pimp Clothing and El-Chappo wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

On the Presser:

- Figured the coat was a throwback to 70's Boxers, certainly looked that way, whilst also stealing all the attention, everybodys talking about Conor McGregor, pimping in NYC, the McGregor media juggernaut continues to....juggernaut...onwards? :pac:

- Alvarez is blatantly trying to drum up Aldo-esque hype to the fight on account of his PPV cut as champ but it's cringe. He seemed emotional, rattled, although he handled getting the belt back well in fairness, Aldo looked like a bítch when Conor held it in front of him previously. Eddie waltzed in, snatched it back. What McGregor did with the chair was OTT and annoying IMO but twas over quickly and from that point onwards it was brilliant viewing.

- The start of the presser was disappointing because of Alvarez trying too hard, then Conor waltzed in and was WWE'ing it up, putting on a show. He's clearly excited by MSG, confident he's going to beat the ceann off Eddie. He seemed to enjoy himself.

- Conor letting the Eddie 'news' slide right off and following it up with the 'don't touch the coat' comment during the square off, whilst also being sound to Dana with him pleading (fúcking hilariously) was brilliant. The retort on Kavanaghs book was brilliant 'It's a BestSeller!" :D

Looking forward to the fight, more confident in a McGregor victory tbh, I'll be a bag of nerves as per usual as Alvarez is dangerous but after what happened with Diaz, I think McGregor is better for it - this is his shot at history, setting his legend in stone, the pressure should really be on Conor here, yet it doesn't seem the case which is a credit to his media skills. He shouldn't be caught for a gameplan here & if he's able to maintain a pace then I see him knocking Eddie out in the first or second as he's predicted. The question marks around his endurance are still there though - RDA vs. Ferguson was an example of how some fighters have serious engines on them, Alvarez is able to go the distance so my hope is Conor finishes this early.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

GSP was wearing suits long before anyone else. He brought in the dress and act like a champ attitude

McGregor was dressed as smokin Joe last night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Rumours about Conor allegedly taking a couple girls in the jacks in a Dublin club earlier this year or late last year. Wouldn't surprise me if the latest rumours had some truth or at least has him worried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

py2006 wrote: »
    Rumours about Conor allegedly taking a couple girls in the jacks in a Dublin club earlier this year or late last year. Wouldn't surprise me if the latest rumours had some truth or at least has him worried.

Come on, surely if this happened it would have been reported on by now? He's a ridiculously famous person in Dublin, not a chance he wanders into the jacks with 3-4 girls and no one notices, tabloids would be all over it..

Conor is asked about the Ali comparison and said "i don't think anyone can compare to Muhammad Ali. I'm on my own journey".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Come on, surely if this happened it would have been reported on by now? He's a ridiculously famous person in Dublin, not a chance he wanders into the jacks with 3-4 girls and no one notices, tabloids would be all over it..

Oh it was noticed alright

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

If I had Conors fame, money, resources I'd be hiring consultants on how to get away with this specific type of behaviour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

This **** happens all the time.

This **** happens all the time.

What does? Guys doing girls in the jacks in Lillies? I've been at VIP events in Lillies donkeys years ago when i was in the crew for U2's Elevation Tour..... never seen any girls in Lillies jacks with celebs :/

If your point is "famous guy cheats on girl" then yeah, sure.

Ps. Speaking of baseless rumours and conspiracy lol, In the latest Mac Life episode Dee gives Orlagh a brief death stare. She gave the same death stare to Caroline Pearce before too :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

What does? Guys doing girls in the jacks in Lillies? I've been at VIP events in Lillies donkeys years ago when i was in the crew for U2's Elevation Tour..... never seen any girls in Lillies jacks with celebs :/

Yes, it happens all the time. Irish celebrities and sports people cheat on their wives/girlfriends publicly constantly and it's not reported, probably because liable cases are very easy to win here. Just because you didn't notice it doesn't mean it's not happening. For all you know Bono was in the jax doing coke off a rentboy's dong and you just didn't see it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,406 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Met a friend for a "quick pint" last night and now somehow I'm going to New York tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 431 ✭✭Killergreene

Did u get a ticket to the fight ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement