Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 3) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Met a friend for a "quick pint" last night and now somehow I'm going to New York tomorrow.

I hope that "somehow" is a plane at least!! :)

If you haven't got tickets, there are a lot of big viewing parties happening in Manhattan on fight night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Met a friend for a "quick pint" last night and now somehow I'm going to New York tomorrow.

Going through Paris on way out and Amsterdam on way back, you can get reteurn flights that get you into JFK at 6pm local time for €408. Flight with one stop is "only" 12 hours so definitely manageable on short notice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Hahaha, nice one! How much did it set you back all in?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,400 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Going through Paris on way out and Amsterdam on way back, you can get reteurn flights that get you into JFK at 6pm local time for €408. Flight with one stop is "only" 12 hours so definitely manageable on short notice!

We're booked and all. Going through Amsterdam, land at 3.30 local time.
    Did u get a ticket to the fight ?

He's working on it. A very good friend of his is agent to a lot of professional athletes so hopefully his contacts will come good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

py2006 wrote: »
    Oh it was noticed alright

By whom exactly? Funny how no one said anything about this before the presser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

py2006 wrote: »
    Rumours about Conor allegedly taking a couple girls in the jacks in a Dublin club earlier this year or late last year. Wouldn't surprise me if the latest rumours had some truth or at least has him worried.

Easy to recycle bull5hit when you're protected by the anonymity of the internet.

Source or GTFO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Just watched the Mendes fight again. Definitely my favourite McG fight so far. Still gets the adrenaline pumping. Hopefully we see something similar against Eddie. Pepper the body with rangey kicks and then KO him stiff. 3 more hours in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,047 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

evil_seed wrote: »
    GSP was wearing suits long before anyone else. He brought in the dress and act like a champ attitude
    I'm not suggesting Conor invented suits..
    I know GSP also wore them for years. But that's the point. Very few followed his dress the part attitude.
    But over the last year or two it's become completely the norm. "Something" has finally convinced people to dress the part. I wonder...

I love the demand for posters to show some journalistic integrity soars when something negative is mentioned about McGregor. Wonderfullife does round talking like a tabloid reporter who "overheard" or "knows somebody connected to that person" and the like and there's not a word said.

Good article about McGregor in the Guardian this morning.

I love that the demand for posters to show some journalistic integrity soars when something negative is mentioned about McGregor. Wonderfullife does round talking like a tabloid reporter who "overheard" or "knows somebody connected to that person" and the like and there's not a word said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Tinie wrote: »
    By whom exactly? Funny how no one said anything about this before the presser

It was noticed by some staff. Hey, they could be lying to me but sure

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Conor weighed in about 5mins ago. 154.4lbs

Alvarez weighed in a couple people before him. 154.6lbs

Only problem so far was Thiago Alves missing weight by around 6lbs.

Comfirmed that Thiago Alves will be docked 20% of purse but NYSAC say two opponents can't fight if they are more than 5lbs apart so Jim Miller has to miss weight on purpose for the bout to go ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

I love that the demand for posters to show some journalistic integrity soars when something negative is mentioned about McGregor. Wonderfullife does round talking like a tabloid reporter who "overheard" or "knows somebody connected to that person" and the like and there's not a word said.

For fear of tapping into the first part of your post, I didn't like the article on Conor. The narrative of it being 'contrived' has been repeated conistently for almost every Conor fight since Poirier.

I would agree though with the article in saying last night was hardly Conors most creative contributions. Here is the article if anyone wants to read it: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2016/nov/10/conor-mcgregor-eddie-alvarez-ufc-205

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

TheTownie wrote: »
    Comfirmed that Thiago Alves will be docked 20% of purse but NYSAC say two opponents can't fight if they are more than 5lbs apart so Jim Miller has to miss weight on purpose for the bout to go ahead.

Madness, have they never heard of weight cutting?

Madness, have they never heard of weight cutting?

Just posted in the other thread, Kelvin Gastelum is rumoured to be 8lbs over weight but Cerrone has already weighed in! so can't do what Jim Miller is going to do. Cerrone going nuts apparently!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

TheTownie wrote: »
    Conor weighed in about 5mins ago. 154.4lbs

Alvarez weighed in a couple people before him. 154.6lbs

Only problem so far was Thiago Alves missing weight by around 6lbs.

Any idea of what type of weight they will be at tomorrow night?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

UaLZhiq.jpg

That doesn't look pleasant for Alvarez.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Any idea of what type of weight they will be at tomorrow night?

I'd imagine Conor will add around 10lbs of water. Alvarez certainly looks like he carries more water weight so more than 10lbs for him but how much more I'm not sure.

For fear of tapping into the first part of your post, I didn't like the article on Conor. The narrative of it being 'contrived' has been repeated conistently for almost every Conor fight since Poirier.

I would agree though with the article in saying last night was hardly Conors most creative contributions. Here is the article if anyone wants to read it: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2016/nov/10/conor-mcgregor-eddie-alvarez-ufc-205

I disagree, I think it's taken a bit of a turn since 194. The likes of the "I don't give a ****" comments and the "if you're down with team Diaz then **** you too" ones are just a bit too, yes, contrived for my liking. He knows that kind of schtick plays well for the mob mentality of the crowds that takes over when they show up for the press conferences and weigh ins.

Don't get me wrong, I don't blame McGregor at all - he's simply playing to the fans who lap it all up, I just find some of it a bit repetitive, boring and less off the cuff these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,343 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

• Registered Users Posts: 21,343 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

martyos121 wrote: »

Photo proof:

https://twitter.com/allelbows/status/797092850265686016

Now he's the God of light too. Is there any title he can't attain?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

The fúckin smirk on Kavanagh :D

i cant do audio in work, what did he say?

I had to laugh at Woodley opting for dark glasses and a suit, glasses that don't come off...hhmmmmmm familiar.... get an image TWOOD!

I personally think Woodley will gas out trying to catch and kill Wonderboy who's so elusive that he may even drop Woodley with a counter during said chase!!

when I seen wonderboy go through Hendricks and pace with Mcdonald, I thought, yes, he'll grab that strap by close of 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

rusty cole wrote: »

I had to laugh at Woodley opting for dark glasses and a suit, glasses that don't come off...hhmmmmmm familiar.... get an image TWOOD!

I personally think Woodley will gas out trying to catch and kill Woodley who's so elusive that he may even drop Woodley with a counter during said chase!!

when I seen wonderboy go through Hendricks and pace with Mcdonald, I thought, yes, he'll grab that strap by close of 2016.

Quite an image you're conjuring

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭clsmooth

D.Q wrote: »

Can see the Woodley for the trees

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

D.Q wrote: »

You've never seen a pro fighter punch themselves in the face?

1gka8SB.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

rusty cole wrote: »

I personally think Woodley will gas out trying to catch and kill Wonderboy who's so elusive that he may even drop Woodley with a counter during said chase!!

The audio is on the Mac Life video.

Basically nothing was said. Woodley walked past, Conor stared him out of it.

Woodley then said "Conor, what's up".

Conor delayed and said "what's up".

Woodley then said "not much" and walked off.

• Advertisement

I think media are hyping that way more than it was. McGregor trying to give it some for the cameras, Woodley having none of it and nothing more to it. From what I was reading here and on twitter I thought there'd have been some sort of face off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement