Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus and marts

Options

Comments

cjmc wrote: »
    I'm not "looking for a relaxation" in anything !!
    I asked a QUESTION that IF this virus becomes an epidemic in Ireland and IF gatherings such as a mart are closed how will I get the stock I am looking for. Listening to Convey on TV it's a possibility depending on the spread of COVID19
    And WILL there, possibility be provision made for that.?
    That's all I asked so pipe down and go sit in your Jeep to cool down

Just buy directly from a farmer, its not rocket science. Plenty of farmers operate without using marts, I've a relation who used to sell 40 or 50 weanlings and/or stores a year out of his yard, being sold in batches of 10 or 15 at a time to the same 2 or 3 people every year (who were farmers too not dealers).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Just buy directly from a farmer, its not rocket science. Plenty of farmers operate without using marts, I've a relation who used to sell 40 or 50 weanlings and/or stores a year out of his yard, being sold in batches of 10 or 15 at a time to the same 2 or 3 people every year (who were farmers too not dealers).
    It's not rocket science I know, and years ago that's how the father and me bought. But those sellers are mostly long gone now. I might be able to source a few locally but it's hard between working, school runs etc to find time to look at these cattle then say, if I want 10 or ,20 , Mr A has 4 . Mr B has 2 etc etc .I know a man down the road who has storks for sale but they're too big and too strong too handle with my set up. But if that's what I need to do so be it. I'll have to try and source a bigger seller .
    Thanks for the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭older by the day

Is skibb Mart open tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

We're the marts closed for foot and mouth. I can't remember. There are plenty of dealers and cattle haulers that would supply you with cattle. I suppose it will only be for a month if it is closed. Our descendants survived famines and rationing and civil war. Blast it don't be getting excited

They were.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

tanko wrote: »
    Marts were closed from February 28th to June 18th 2001.
    I didn't think it was so long. How did dairy farmers manage with their calves??

I think farm to farm movements were stopped for a while too, but they were allowed to resume before the marts reopened.
    They way it's going now, I'd say there's a good chance of marts getting shut down. The schools closed today.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

hopeso wrote: »
    I think farm to farm movements were stopped for a while too, but they were allowed to resume before the marts reopened.
    They way it's going now, I'd say there's a good chance of marts getting shut down. The schools closed today.....

Government's will want as much of economic activity to continue. It will be up to marts to adapt. No agents around the ring all back up on the steps/seats. Encourage lads not to attend unless buying or selling. Lads hanging out of each other around the ring is a no no

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

If someone who knew nothing about farming and had never set foot in a mart walked into one and saw all the dealers welded to each other around the ring they would be wondering what kind of an establishment they were in.

I can't see how the marts are going to stay open with everything that happening now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,055 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

If someone who knew nothing about farming and had never set foot in a mart walked into one and saw all the dealers welded to each other around the ring they would be wondering what kind of an establishment they were in.

I can't see how the marts are going to stay open with everything that happening now.

Simples give the drover in the ring the stick back to keep them apart. :D

It can be done and kept open but people need to play their part and take it seriously.

Apparently they are going ahead but there's a 100 people limit allowed in.
    It's on the ifj news site.
    Managers will be doing everything in their power to keep them going.
    They'll have to be creative..

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

Just rang macroom mart and they wont know until tomorrow evening if sale will go ahead on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I don't know how the 100 people limit will be enforced, you wouldn't find having 20+ people employed in a busy sale without any customers/bystanders. Several lads have rang me today wondering if our local sale is going ahead tomorrow, I've talked to the boss man and it's still going ahead as of now.

Limit the numbers inside. Anybody that's interested in stock should be allowed view beforehand in the pens.
    If there's more than 100 interested in bidding/in the building.
    Facebook live it.

Limit the numbers inside. Anybody that's interested in stock should be allowed view beforehand in the pens.
    If there's more than 100 interested in bidding/in the building.
    Facebook live it.

I honestly don't see how that could be enacted, it's borderline anti competitive and this is coming from someone who works in the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

Just heard this evening that the collage in Dublin, UCD, has closed for the rest of the year. Re-opening in September. I don't know much about collages, but I assume that's a year written off for the students?
    Anyway, my point is, this is going to get worse before it gets better. In my opinion, we will see marts closed....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Gortatlea going ahead tomorrow, just got the text.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

If any marts operating up to Saturday, that will be the last of them. they will come under pressure to be at least seen to do the right thing.

lots of pension dollars too round the rings these days.

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Gortatlea going ahead tomorrow, just got the text.

Closing will be a last resort for the independents especially, it's hard enough to keep everything paid with normal trading nevermind shutting up shop for a few weeks. Marts are an integral part of the livestock sector and I don't think closing down a route to market will be anything other than detrimental. Do people expect the processors won't use any such uncertainty to once again kick us when we're down?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Marts were closed from February 28th to June 18th 2001.
    I didn't think it was so long. How did dairy farmers manage with their calves??

We sold as many as we could before we locked down and reared the rest, we were caught with stores as well, and had to rent an 80acre farm of land for the year.
    One of the calves we sold turned up with foot and mouth in northern France, so it was knocking about.

hopeso wrote: »
    Just heard this evening that the collage in Dublin, UCD, has closed for the rest of the year. Re-opening in September. I don't know much about collages, but I assume that's a year written off for the students?
    Anyway, my point is, this is going to get worse before it gets better. In my opinion, we will see marts closed....

Realistically there is only about a month of term left, most universities start to finish in early April and have a few study weeks with exams starting in mid to late April. They will just need to sit exams in autumn most likely if it’s true they have closed until sept. Also half the years exams will already have been done at Christmas so it’s not even a full years work to be examined (in most courses anyway).

Realistically there is only about a month of term left, most universities start to finish in early April and have a few study weeks with exams starting in mid to late April. They will just need to sit exams in autumn most likely if it’s true they have closed until sept. Also half the years exams will already have been done at Christmas so it’s not even a full years work to be examined (in most courses anyway).

This would cause an issue with repeats held in September. However I expect taht exams may be held and staggered over April and May. other option is assignments. final year student exams could be deferred and repeats held later in the year.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Text

Calf sale at Carnew Mart tomorrow as normal 11am start. However there are some changes. A max of 100 people will be allowed around the ring at any time. Please be patient and work with staff as we try to keep the mart service available going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Ennis Mart - Got text today.

Basically, sales to continue as usual but asked to only attend if you have selling or buying to do.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭MfMan

Ennis Mart - Got text today.

Basically, sales to continue as usual but asked to only attend if you have selling or buying to do.

Tuam ditto.

Limousin Pedigree Premier Bull Show & Sale – Roscrea - March 16th 2020

"The Roscrea show and sale is proceeding however due to the current restrictions and in the interests of public health we are requesting that only sellers and intending buyers attend. The show and sale will be broadcast online to facilitate viewing and online bidding. Thank you for your cooperation in these difficult times. "

Got above text from the society.....

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

I'd say that all the marts will be packed now and lads going for a look that had no notion of going before this.
    Sure what else are all the children going to do only go to the mart too.

I'd say that all the marts will be packed now and lads going for a look that had no notion of going before this.
    Sure what else are all the children going to do only go to the mart too.

Stupid is what stupid dose.

It up to mart managers to manage

Slava Ukrainii

Got similar text from Sixmilebridge Mart and it specifically said 'No Children'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Got similar text from Sixmilebridge Mart and if specifically said 'No Children'.

The kids would be a he ones i’m Least worried about

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Kids can be symptomless spreaders though and most with poor hygiene.

The kids aren’t on their summer holidays. This is a time to keep them at home as much as is possible and not mixing with other kids and the elderly in general.

• Advertisement

The issue with children is not that they might catch it it is that children by there nature spread it faster

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement