Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus and marts

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Marts shut from tonight at 12?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Sounded like that alright

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭alps

****it****it****it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

alps wrote: »
    ****it****it****it

Dung deal will explode

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

cjmc wrote:
    With the pandemic picking up pace, if Ireland sees many more cases of infection through people to people contact I can foresee large gatherings such as marts being suspended. That's the only way I can get my stock . So my question is ,given that if I can't stock my land and claim my entitlements this year they'll be taken off me and go back to the National Reserve! Will they go ahead with this given the unforeseen circumstances??

Would you not try Done Deal to stock your land or new website launched there recently called Haystack.ie I think it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Tralee be hoppin tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

K.G. wrote: »
    My calf man said 1300 calves and prices up

Actually we were both wrong it was 1100 calves

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

In order of priority to our business
    Milk processing
    Vets
    Calf reg
    Bvd
    Supply stores-contractors

Marts
    In a months time contractors would move well up th list but marts would move down

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

https://twitter.com/SimonHarrisTD/status/1242482772028952577?s=20

Edit last post.

The marts are specifically listed on the official document.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Is the marts closed the right decision ?

Is it an example of FG not understanding agriculture?

I’ve mixed feelings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

_Brian wrote: »

This is the reason why the government constantly reiterate that any decision they make is based on medical and scientific advice so as to try avoid such comments and blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

_Brian wrote: »
    Is the marts closed the right decision ?

I’ve mixed feelings

Yep - marts closed and every factory open (ag related or otherwise) doesn't make sense.

It's just a temporary anomaly anyway as I'd imagine further restrictions on "non-essential" factories before the week is out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

The business the mart facilitates can be done without it, and reduce gatherings. Factories are different. I assume mart staff will still be working on linking buyers and sellers if asked

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭alps

Mooooo wrote: »
    The business the mart facilitates can be done without it, and reduce gatherings. Factories are different. I assume mart staff will still be working on linking buyers and sellers if asked

In the last week...the marts were not gatherings..they were well organised workplace, employing proper protocols....its a shame..

I feel it is partly for aesthetics, and underestimated the value of the exchange...

It will have stocking rate complications later in the year, and if no allowances made, will mean very costly restructuring for some when trade does free up.

It also now means far more meetings in farm yards where buyers try to group animals and farmers try to showcase to numerous buyers..

This one counter productive imo...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,095 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Will boats still be going with calves?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭arctictree

It just really annoys me, politicians closing all these businesses and taking no financial pain themselves...

alps wrote: »
    In the last week...the marts were not gatherings..they were well organised workplace, employing proper protocols....its a shame..

I feel it is partly for aesthetics, and underestimated the value of the exchange...

It will have stocking rate complications later in the year, and if no allowances made, will mean very costly restructuring for some when trade does free up.

It also now means far more meetings in farm yards where buyers try to group animals and farmers try to showcase to numerous buyers..

This one counter productive imo...

Def not ideal but it is what it is really. Risk of people selling from yard versus a number of buyers coming into the same car park etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

arctictree wrote: »
    It just really annoys me, politicians closing all these businesses and taking no financial pain themselves...

It'll be worse than that. We've a transition government at the moment so every party will be out doing one another in calling for more tougher restrictions to make the public feel safe.
    We can't see the enemy but we're all terrified of it and we don't know if we've already been in contact with it or not if we've not been tested and even if we test negative that's not to say we've already had it and been done with or we've never had it and we couldn't catch it tomorrow.
    It's win win for fg at the moment. They shut the country down and the people will thank them for it. If it gets worse then it's those horsey people from Cheltenham and teenagers will be blamed.

It's going to some job to try and get back to some sort of normality again and get the public to feel like it's all over.
    But that's way down the line. Far down the line.

Edit: farmers would nearly want to be careful what they post on social media now. There's loads of pee'd off people after losing their jobs that would be looking on and saying I'm stuck at home inside social isolating..Farmers should have to suffer the same as me.

I reckon to manage it social distancing may well have to be a new norm until a vaccine is available towards year end at the earliest . So even if things open some bit in 4 to 6 weeks time it'll still be a case of 2m distancing etc to manage the outbreak. China's fear is it's reintroduction after closing down fully will lead to the same thing again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

whelan2 wrote: »
    Will boats still be going with calves?

I'd say they will have to allow it. There'll be boats coming in with food imports and exports as normal so there should be no reason to close the shipping of calves.

• Advertisement

I'd say they will have to allow it. There'll be boats coming in with food imports and exports as normal so there should be no reason to close the shipping of calves.

Also with no or very little car ferry traffic there should be more space

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭Gillespy

The antibody test will speed thing up. Test like hell and get the show back on the road as quickly as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Have any of the marts tried setting up an online sales platform? I know it's nice to see them in person but there any real reason that animals all have to be brought to the one location to be auctioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

I was in the local mart today. I would say generally lads were keeping to there marked spot. although if there was any official there in disguise they would have seen also a good bit too of some not keeping distance for a good number of minutes at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭older by the day

I put calves on done deal last week. A guy came, wrote a check, I did my part on line. He rang the day after that he saying he was locked up and couldn't take them. He,s posting back the cards. *welcome back to wheeling and dealing. Lads walking up and down the yard wanting big long talks about trashing long ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

My local mart last week, all was good for the first hour, mostly everyone respecting the space etc, that lasted for about an hour and then things were back to normal with gangs of lads climbing over each other to get a spot ringside, this virus is raging worldwide because a minority don't respect the advice given to them to protect everyone.

Closing of the marts has screwed me with stocking numbers, have a shed full of year olds to sell, can't sell them now and have started this season's calving over the last few days with very limited space, stocking numbers over the summer will now be far above what i had planned so i'll likely have to buy fodder for next winter, however if myself and family are alive and well that's all that concerns me at this stage, carrying extra stock will work itself out at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Could they open the mart next week if beef factory run out of cattle ??

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭leoch

Wat part are u from super tortoise im looking for heifer weanlings or stirks but probably too far away

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭Robson99

Could they open the mart next week if beef factory run out of cattle ??

Don't see the factories running out of cattle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 brandy21

Have any of the marts tried setting up an online sales platform? I know it's nice to see them in person but there any real reason that animals all have to be brought to the one location to be auctioned?
    What about HAYSTACK.IE a free site to sell agricultural produce,

Advertisement