Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus and marts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

tanko wrote: »
    I'd say that all the marts will be packed now and lads going for a look that had no notion of going before this.
    Sure what else are all the children going to do only go to the mart too.

Will be a absolute playground tanko. marts i go to are always full of children on the half terms holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,377 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

ruwithme wrote: »
    Will be a absolute playground tanko. marts i go to are always full of children on the half terms holidays.

Not this year. And I can't imagine any farmer letting me near their farm to look at cattle . The country is in lock down more or less

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

No lads hanging out of each other around the ring so

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

cjmc wrote: »
    Not this year. And I can't imagine any farmer letting me near their farm to look at cattle . The country is in lock down more or less

I am taking this very seriously but i wouldnt have a problem with someone looking at cattle provided practices are stuck to..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

"A member of staff will make sure that buyers will remain at least two metres apart".
    Of course they will. It sounds like an episode of Father Ted in the making,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

I have to say im surprised there going to run with this. thought they would have just closed after the pressure pubs and eating houses came under.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Cattle have to be sold or the whole thing will grind to a halt.
    What effect will this have on price I wonder.
    Beef is still being consumed I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

20silkcut wrote: »
    Cattle have to be sold or the whole thing will grind to a halt.
    What effect will this have on price I wonder.
    Beef is still being consumed I presume.

A very negative effect I would imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭older by the day

Fair play to the marts for trying to stay open. The pressure is on now. The usual buyers should always be wearing masks anyway, (and not because of the virus). I can't see any premises like marts staying open unless they take it out doors to a yard

K.G. wrote: »
    I am taking this very seriously but i wouldnt have a problem with someone looking at cattle provided practices are stuck to..

What practices!. If I stand 6 foot away from you and cough will you shake hands on a deal. Should I be wearing gloves? If I lean on your crush and cough will you wash it down? Open a gate or door? I may be overestimating the impact of this Corona virus or are you underestimating it? Only time will tell

What practices!. If I stand 6 foot away from you and cough will you shake hands on a deal. Should I be wearing gloves? If I lean on your crush and cough will you wash it down? Open a gate or door? I may be overestimating the impact of this Corona virus or are you underestimating it? Only time will tell

I cant see why it cant be done at least in my set up anyway.and id expect the buyer to behave appropriately and not lean against gates or whatever. Jaysus if you cant go and look at cattle in an open field or yard how are you going to manage the weekly shop.really you cant sell or buy cattle without shaking hands on them.things are going to have to carry on ,vets are still going to be yards,mechanics /electricans/plumbers/contractorsare still going to have to be in yards.we just have to change how we do things

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The reality is that 60%of us needs to/will catch the virus before this we will be safe. At this stage it is unlikely we will roll it back. This is a 3-4 month battle and 2 year war before a vaccine will be available.

The whole point of stopping social interaction is to slow the virus down and prevent the bell curve of an infection like this. Do thinking that minimal interface interactions will not save the population in general.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

I think you're over thinking it. Do animals not carry diseases and touch crush bars and gates.

Do you not wash your hands when you go in. I think standard precautions you should be taking after being in the farmyard combined with social distancing and you should be okay.

If you do get the virus you will be very unlucky if it's from some lad coming to look at your cattle outside. Nobody is suggesting bringing him in for tea which you might do in different times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

The whole point of stopping social interaction is to slow the virus down and prevent the bell curve of an infection like this. Do thinking that minimal interface interactions will not save the population in general.

More than stop the bell curve it's to draw it out so health services are not overwhelmed. The same number of people will get it but over a longer period.
    Until there's immunity as you say in a large percentage (60% may be the lower end) either by vaccine or exposure people will get infected and community transmission will occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

Golden Vale Marts are only going to allow the sale of calves at their marts until March 29th at least.

I think you're over thinking it. Do animals not carry diseases and touch crush bars and gates.

Do you not wash your hands when you go in. I think standard precautions you should be taking after being in the farmyard combined with social distancing and you should be okay.

If you do get the virus you will be very unlucky if it's from some lad coming to look at your cattle outside. Nobody is suggesting bringing him in for tea which you might do in different times.
    True enough . I'm probably over thinking this whole thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Mauty is closed for two weeks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭capslock88

Any thoughts on how mart-held Bull Sales will play out?...I know some of the more official ones might be able to go somewhat online but for the more ordinary all-breed sales??...Not as easy to leave your bull with a member of staff compared with commercial cattle?...Of course more or all can be sold farm to farm if needs be but the marts form a large proportion of sales for a lot of breeders...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

capslock88 wrote: »
    Any thoughts on how mart-held Bull Sales will play out?...I know some of the more official ones might be able to go somewhat online but for the more ordinary all-breed sales??...Not as easy to leave your bull with a member of staff compared with commercial cattle?...Of course more or all can be sold farm to farm if needs be but the marts form a large proportion of sales for a lot of breeders...

I see some breeders are taking it upon themselves that if the sales do go ahead they won't be bringing bulls.
    They're getting the advertising in now on fb,etc. that they'll only be selling at home with pictures and details of the bulls put up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭Grueller

I see some breeders are taking it upon themselves that if the sales do go ahead they won't be bringing bulls.
    They're getting the advertising in now on fb,etc. that they'll only be selling at home with pictures and details of the bulls put up.

That man has a gripe with the limo society at the moment I believe so wouldn't have attended anyhow. That's the word on the street anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Grueller wrote: »
    That man has a gripe with the limo society at the moment I believe so wouldn't have attended anyhow. That's the word on the street anyhow.

Jeez your very sharp. It could have been some Donegal breeder I was on about.?
    Ah well he also has parents to worry about and he did always get the top prices at the sales.
    Limousin with good temperaments.

Cant see calf exports staying going with borders being closed.just got another load away but think we might have to hold the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

K.G. wrote: »
    Cant see calf exports staying going with borders being closed.just got another load away but think we might have to hold the rest

I don't think the borders are closed to trade traffic. I don't see much of a difference between a truck pulling a container and one pulling a load of calves

• Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭Grueller

Jeez your very sharp. It could have been some Donegal breeder I was on about.?
    Ah well he also has parents to worry about and he did always get the top prices at the sales.
    Limousin with good temperaments.

Ah I.just saw his post on it and it stuck in my memory. I do think the limo society were wrong to run the sale at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭alps

I don't think the borders are closed to trade traffic. I don't see much of a difference between a truck pulling a container and one pulling a load of calves

Von der Leyen stated that it was vital that food and livestock would be able to continue to travel.

To be fair, a driver or 2 drivers spending their working day in the cab of a truck, are an insignificant risk to spreading the disease.

I'd be more concerned that a driver would fall ill en route with livestock...impossible to pull up and going to be very difficult to get a replacement driver to him quickly..

• Registered Users Posts: 85,081 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

tanko wrote: »
    Golden Vale Marts are only going to allow the sale of calves at their marts until March 29th at least.

I did think all marts would be cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭alps

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I did think all marts would be cancelled

There is no reason for them to be closed.

Many businesses continue to operate to protocols. Only trades where separation cannot be achieved have closed.

Separation can easily be achieved in marts..

Older and at risk staff should stay at home, however with a general cop on attitude by patrons, these can be kept going..

This is a long term situtation and making closure decisions like it's a red weather warning is knee jerk and not helpful..

• Advertisement

Shouldn't they be broadcasting the sales now on Facebook/YouTube.shouldnt they be nearly doing it in normal times

Advertisement