Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Shutdown

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Ohio9 wrote: »
    Yes, **** off to those countries where they turn on red because I made a point about the system there.

Quit the job, sell the house and move over to one of these wonderful countries because they have a different traffic light system.

We are reaching critical levels of IQ here, it's over 9000.
    Isolation crazy setting in. Be gentle with him lads :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCCG2Z9LoVk

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭Ohio9

Del2005 wrote: »
    Doesn't matter how long the orange is on for as it's not the signal to go yet in the UK they all go on orange. I've driven in all 3 countries so I know how their lights work.

There is no delay between sequences. By the time it turns green, the other one is already red while here it stays red for everyone for a couple of seconds to accomodate red light breakers. That's why you don't get many breaking red lights as that would result in an accident while here it is much safer to break red lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There is no delay between sequences. By the time it turns green, the other one is already red while here it stays red for everyone for a couple of seconds to accomodate red light breakers. That's why you don't get many breaking red lights as that would result in an accident while here it is much safer to break red lights.

You seem to think that I've never seen traffic lights in the UK. I know the sequence and the time each light is on, they go on the orange not the green.

I usually look at the lights on the other road to prepare to move off on my green, while watching for red light bandits, and I've never seen the other road go red and mine not turn green nearly instantly.

It's never safe to break red lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,475 ✭✭✭Penfailed

It doesn't stay red to accommodate red light breakers. It stays red to allow for the passage of slow moving vehicles. It's never safe to break a red light.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

You seem to think that I've never seen traffic lights in the UK. I know the sequence and the time each light is on, they go on the orange not the green.

I usually look at the lights on the other road to prepare to move off on my green, while watching for red light bandits, and I've never seen the other road go red and mine not turn green nearly instantly.

It's never safe to break red lights.

Why it's not safe? You have a more than enough time to go through the junction. That is the reason it is there.

• Advertisement

Why it's not safe? You have a more than enough time to go through the junction. That is the reason it is there.

FFS if people believe this crap it's no wonder so many break the red. You're supposed to stop on orange unless its unsafe to do so not motor though on red.

FFS if people believe this crap it's no wonder so many break the red. You're supposed to stop on orange unless its unsafe to do so not motor though on red.
    You will never educate some people. Stupid is as stupid does. :)

Emmersonn wrote: »
    You will never educate some people. Stupid is as stupid does. :)

🀦*♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Some people ride motorcycles, and some ride donorcycles.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Some people ride motorcycles, and some ride donorcycles.

Don't ride motorcycles. I drive a large SUV.

• Advertisement

Don't ride motorcycles. I drive a large SUV.
    That says it all and explains the attitude to rules and regulations. Probably a 5/8 builder also. :p

Don't know if these guys were out legit or going for a spin but I guarantee that neither planned to be were they are now.

https://www.thejournal.ie/motorcycle-crash-kerry-5077022-Apr2020/

If we weren't staying home trying to avoid being like the UK, USA, Spain or Italy then it could be a though decision for a doctor.

Don't know if these guys were out legit or going for a spin but I guarantee that neither planned to be were they are now.

If we weren't staying home trying to avoid being like the UK, USA, Spain or Italy then it could be a though decision for a doctor.

I like how you left out Sweden. Doesn't suit your agenda obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Breezin

You sound pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭listermint

can you two trolls jog on out of the motorcycle section. back to whatever covid 19 rock you crawled out from under.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Mod note: Quit it - any more an immediate bans.

Breezin wrote: »
    You sound pleased.

Yes I'm pleased that 2 people involved in a serious RTC are being treated in hospital and that our health service can deal with it because people are avoiding non essential journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

Yes I'm pleased that 2 people involved in a serious RTC are being treated in hospital and that our health service can deal with it because people are avoiding non essential journeys.

Edit, apols, bit defensive after reading a load of anti bike ****e on FB lately, reading glasses firmly affixed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Odelay

bladespin wrote: »
    Do you know those involved, you seem quite sure it was non-essential, but I cant see that anywhere in the article?

You need to reread what he wrote.

Can you not leave out the judgemental part?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

How do you know it wasnt essential travel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,101 ✭✭✭✭blade1

D3V!L wrote: »
    How do you know it wasnt essential travel ?

That post seems to be getting lost in translation.
    I read it as all people traveling non essentially already putting the health services under pressure.

Wasn't aimed at the two bikers I think.

Let's hope the lad airlifted to hospital with serious injuries recovers ok.

Anyone come across severe hostility when stopped at a checkpoint ?
    Myself and my wife took my Harley tourer to do the shopping but we were stopped about 200 meters from our house at a checkpoint. The Garda said we looked like we were just dressed up for a spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Unless the bike has ample carrier bag storage you can understand scepticism. I'd say if you were in the uniform you'd be the same.

listermint wrote: »
    Unless the bike has ample carrier bag storage you can understand scepticism. I'd say if you were in the uniform you'd be the same.

140 litres of storage ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

The Garda said we looked like we were just dressed up for a spin.

Well what were you wearing? His 'n' hers tassels and piss-pot lids :)

Anyone come across severe hostility when stopped at a checkpoint ?
    Myself and my wife took my Harley tourer to do the shopping but we were stopped about 200 meters from our house at a checkpoint. The Garda said we looked like we were just dressed up for a spin.

Don't forget that only 1 person is supposed to go to the shops, that could be the reason he was suspicious.

Like all people you meet someone in a bad mood or just ignorant sometimes. I'm in an essential industry so we all have letters and anytime I've been stopped, either going to/from work or bringing food to my parents, I've got through no bother. A co worker had to show their letter, the Garda read it, then asked for their work ID a 2nd time.

140 litres of storage ;)

That should do it. I wonder what the minimum acceptable is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,475 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Don't forget that only 1 person is supposed to go to the shops, that could be the reason he was suspicious.

This could well be the reason alright.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Advertisement