Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Shutdown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Del2005 wrote: »
    Don't forget that only 1 person is supposed to go to the shops, that could be the reason he was suspicious.

Like all people you meet someone in a bad mood or just ignorant sometimes. I'm in an essential industry so we all have letters and anytime I've been stopped, either going to/from work or bringing food to my parents, I've got through no bother. A co worker had to show their letter, the Garda read it, then asked for their work ID a 2nd time.

I wasn't aware that only one person was allowed into the shop from each household at a time. When I was in lidl with my wife recently there were couples and then families with kids.

Say I drove to the shop on the bike with her and she went in to do the shopping , would that be ok ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Penfailed

D3V!L wrote: »
    I wasn't aware that only one person was allowed into the shop from each household at a time. When I was in lidl with my wife recently there were couples and then families with kids.

I don't think it's a legal thing. It's more an issue of 'best practice'. Having families with kids in a shop is irresponsible in my humble opinion. It's increasing everyone's chance of exposure.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Penfailed wrote: »
    Having families with kids in a shop is irresponsible in my humble opinion. It's increasing everyone's chance of exposure.

Lidl and a lot of other shops are literally playing lip service to the social distancing are allowing 2-3 kids (from what I've seen) into the store with the parents. Yet they discourage and even block couples going in together.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Lidl and a lot of other shops are literally playing lip service to the social distancing are allowing 2-3 kids (from what I've seen) into the store with the parents. Yet they discourage and even block couples going in together.

Lidl and aldi have been very poor tbh.

Tesco seem to be doin it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's a voluntary thing not a legal thing. The shop can only allow a certain amount of people into the store and if a family of 5 arrives up they can't legally refuse them service but they now can't let 4 people into shop. Also the family make it impossible to get past them and maintain social distancing.

You'd think after being locked up together people would welcome the chance for a bit of space from the family by going to the shop alone.

• Advertisement

My bike needs some work done and the only shop that can do it is in Waterford at the moment. It's not driving so it'll need to be recovered down to there. I'm in Dublin, is this allowed at the moment ? It's essential as I need it to get to work.

I doubt it no, There are bike shops in dublin that could repair it. And you seem to have access to other bikes / modes of transport. Just favour your own bike.

Waterford is the end of the country. expect a heavy fine if caught as occured to the folks went from derry to cork to get a dog.

listermint wrote: »
    I doubt it no, There are bike shops in dublin that could repair it. And you seem to have access to other bikes / modes of transport. Just favour your own bike.

Waterford is the end of the country. expect a heavy fine if caught as occured to the folks went from derry to cork to get a dog.

Only vehicle I can drive on my own. I have a learner permit for a car. There isn't a shop in Dublin with the parts for it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭H_Lime

What's wrong with it Devil?

H_Lime wrote: »
    What's wrong with it Devil?

Fuel leak from the quick disconnect fuel line. Looks like a rubber O-ring is gone. Its a 15c part but needs a mechanic to rebuild the connector. :(

I'm an essential worker for my company and this is my only form of transport. In hindsight a HD isn't what I should be relying on for my only bike.

• Advertisement

Only vehicle I can drive on my own. I have a learner permit for a car. There isn't a shop in Dublin with the parts for it at the moment.

Doesnt your missus have a bike you can use ?

And surely any Dublin shop can repair that, its not unique to HD.

Personally id bringing it to a Dublin shop Independent

And surely any Dublin shop can repair that, its not unique to HD.

Personally id bringing it to a Dublin shop Independent

I'm pretty sure it is. :rolleyes:

Anyway, problem solved. The shop is arranging return of the bike when the repair takes place so I dont have to go anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Breezin

Good that the problem is resolved.

However, if the business is operating within the regs, and it's the only place that can provide the service, then I can't see a problem travelling there if it's necessary.

Breezin wrote: »
    Good that the problem is resolved.

However, if the business is operating within the regs, and it's the only place that can provide the service, then I can't see a problem travelling there if it's necessary.

I was going to travel down in the van with the bike but that means sitting in a van with the driver. Then driving it back. So probably not allowed at the moment.

So the shop has kindly offered to bring it all the way back to me :)

I'm pretty sure it is. :rolleyes:

Anyway, problem solved. The shop is arranging return of the bike when the repair takes place so I dont have to go anywhere.

Sorry apologies i dont understand the rollseyes, Its an O ring on a fuel line, and you think Motorcycle Service centres cant fix that?

Grand ok, noted, il write that down.

Sorry apologies i dont understand the rollseyes, Its an O ring on a fuel line, and you think Motorcycle Service centres cant fix that?

Grand ok, noted, il write that down.

Sure they can fix it after they strip out the fuel pump and tank internals, then rebuild the quick disconnect which is not just a fuel line.

By all means let me know what shop has imperial shop tools and the correct rebuild parts for this particular bike and by all means I'll bring it to them. Of course the most important part is that they're HD certified for warranty work.

Thats the reason for the rolleyes.

Sure they can fix it after they strip out the fuel pump and tank internals, then rebuild the quick disconnect which is not just a fuel line.

By all means let me know what shop has imperial shop tools and the correct rebuild parts for this particular bike and by all means I'll bring it to them. Of course the most important part is that they're HD certified for warranty work.

Its a quick disconnect line you seem to think they are something they are not. All bikes have them. Ive removed mine a billion times tank on and off.

Yes ANY shop can do it. And dont be falling back on the HD certified stuff. Its an O Ring not a gearbox rebuild.
    Also half my socket set is imperial.

Have you ever serviced your own bikes before ??

Holding up well under the interrogation. :P

A lot of shops won't work with imperial. I've had two refuse to do it. One even said they would only service Japanese.

Holding up well under the interrogation. :P

No not interogation, he asked a question was given advice.

He doesnt know that most middle of the road toolsets have imperial tools in them.

Theres a dublin HD in dublin but im assuming there is history there? they could fix it.

There various independent shops in dublin that can replace an O Ring.

nothing interrogation about it, just answering the stuff as given.

(rollseyes)

• Advertisement

A lot of shops won't work with imperial. I've had two refuse to do it. One even said they would only service Japanese.

Ye, ok.

No not interogation, he asked a question was given advice.

He doesnt know that most middle of the road toolsets have imperial tools in them.

He does, because he has a full metric and imperial workshop in his garage.

Theres a dublin HD in dublin but im assuming there is history there? they could fix it.

Bunch of c*nts that dont have the parts in stock. I wouldn't let them service a toaster.
    There various independent shops in dublin that can replace an O Ring.

And most if not all will run crying when they see whats involved in replacing just an o-ring

That "just an o-ring" could set a bike on fire if it went when out on a spin. I've been servicing and customizing my own bikes be they Jap, US or Euro for the past 20 years. I know how this o-ring is replaced, what needs to be done but if I make a mistake I can't get this 15 cent part separately (not sold) and I have to buy new fuel lines from HD. Also try getting anything from them at the moment.

Again, doing all this under warranty is only going to happen in a dealership.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I was going to travel down in the van with the bike but that means sitting in a van with the driver. Then driving it back. So probably not allowed at the moment.

So the shop has kindly offered to bring it all the way back to me :)

Can you borrow a bike off someone, assuming you have riding other bikes on your insurance, instead of making a courier drive half the country. Be way cheaper than paying for the courier and repair for a cheap part.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Can you borrow a bike off someone, assuming you have riding other bikes on your insurance, instead of making a courier drive half the country. Be way cheaper than paying for the courier and repair for a cheap part.

Insurance is shipping it down. It'll be gone for 2 days. I can ride my wife's little sportster but I need the big luggage boxes on the tourer for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Its a quick disconnect line you seem to think they are something they are not. All bikes have them. Ive removed mine a billion times tank on and off.

Yes ANY shop can do it. And dont be falling back on the HD certified stuff. Its an O Ring not a gearbox rebuild.

Tbh, no matter how small a job is if you let some non certified (in this case HD, in my case KTM) mechanic on it your warranty can be void.

I have had this with getting a set of spot lights fitted.....major pain in the hoop with a new bike under warranty.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Tbh, no matter how small a job is if you let some non certified (in this case HD, in my case KTM) mechanic on it your warranty can be void.

I have had this with getting a set of spot lights fitted.....major pain in the hoop with a new bike under warranty.

Spotlights are fair obvious though.... Theyre stuck on the sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

I fit the full Akra system on my new 1290 Superduke, removed the SAS system and the EVAP systems (and fit the Ohlins shock and other bits) and I'm still covered under warranty. I just let McCallens know what I was doing and they did the mapping at the first service.
    Depends on how much of a tool the dealer is a lot of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Japcati2020

Nice 2k spin on the new motor to the bank today.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

batman_oh wrote: »

We're screwed, so... trade here is full of complete knobs with very few exceptions.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

batman_oh wrote: »
    I fit the full Akra system on my new 1290 Superduke, removed the SAS system and the EVAP systems (and fit the Ohlins shock and other bits) and I'm still covered under warranty. I just let McCallens know what I was doing and they did the mapping at the first service.

What's the legal position, or, more realistically, the enforcement position? People in the UK and US are fairly militant on one's right to do one's own servicing, but I wonder if there's been any experience of that here.

Advertisement