Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Shutdown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭dmigsy

The overreactions on here are absolutely bloody ridiculous.

Get a grip people.

You're embarrassing yourself. The odds of you coming off it may be low but if you want to risk further overloading the health services now just because you fancy a spin, that says something about you. Leave the bike at home unless it's the only way for you to go and buy essentials.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I'm using the time to clean and service everything - I spent this morning changing the oil in my GSXR. I'll make up for the shutdown by getting out for plenty of spins when the restrictions are lifted. I wonder how long before we are allowed to head to France on a ferry?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The overreactions on here are absolutely bloody ridiculous.

Get a grip people.

I know loads of people who go out for a spin, I've yet to meet someone who is going out for an RTC. But unfortunately people get into RTCs all the time. A truck hit a Luas this morning and drivers are speeding because of the lack of traffic.

It's not catching the virus I'm worried about it's ending up in triage and the doctors having to decide if it's worth trying to save my live or someone else's, because that's what going for a spin in these times can lead to. Don't be ignorant we'll hopefully have years more bike riding after a few months, your decision to go out could result in someone not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

WHAT...????

What the fcuk are you talking about a "group"...we're all individuals...theres still people out walking, cycling getting on with it (within reason)....we can still use our bikes for the purposes outlined........:rolleyes:

Calm down there princess and take the knot from your knickers... you know well what I meant. If one lad goes for a spin another will think it's ok and another and so on... we all have things we would love to do, I'd love to go hunting, I live in the country and could go without meeting a sole or anyone even seeing me but the guns are in the safe, were taken out the other day, cleaned and oiled and are ready to go when this is all over.

No one is stopping you using your bike to go shopping if you need to and I never suggested you cant. People out walking are allowed to do so if they are sticking to the rules that are temporarily in place and the same with cyclists if they are sticking to the rules. If not they are out of order

Anyone going out for a spin now or out doing anyt for that matter that they don't need to do is a selfish prick, end of story.

Staying at home wont hurt anyone, heading out just might

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Remember when the whole country got an extra public holiday after 9/11?

I organised a group spin for that day and everyone (who remembered to fill up at one of the few petrol stations open, first) had a great time

Did I feel a shred of guilt - no.

The fact that you are comparing these 2 events as if they are in any way similar shows just how far off your thoughts are on this.

Just stay at home and give the bike a bit of love, don't be a dick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

d8c.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Just in case you did't notice it in the OP, but the OP states that they are wearing motorcycling helmet and can pay at the pump. On his motorbike, he's not going to come into contact with anybody. Explain to me how the OP, if he decides to take a spin, is "costing lives".

Your post is hyperbole and scaremongering. Yes this is serious, no you are still over-reacting.

If he breaks down.
    If he gets a puncture.
    If he has an accident.

All of which are unlikely but not impossible. That is how he is endangering others. I thought *Stay at home* was quite easy to understand. Seems not to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Be careful at the lights folks.
    In work last wk and especially this wk I'm seeing quite a lot of "red lights are optional" craic. It's not just the usual young driver type doing it but all ages and types. Speed is up too. Green does not mean go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

6FMF7NdFB25D_1585245231998.png?fit=max&fm=jpg&h=768&q=70&w=512

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

While I understand about self isolation being so important and only travelling if it is necessary I cannot come to terms with the number of flights to and from hotspots of corona virus worldwide. Below are 2 screen grabs from flightrader taken yesterday. Surely if it is so important at local level it is even more important at international level. All these planes are not travelling empty.

FR1.jpg
    FR2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

They certainly ain't motorbikes anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭H_Lime

6FMF7NdFB25D_1585245231998.png?fit=max&fm=jpg&h=768&q=70&w=512

I show that to my boss so:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭newmember2

Emmersonn wrote: »
    While I understand about self isolation being so important and only travelling if it is necessary I cannot come to terms with the number of flights to and from hotspots of corona virus worldwide. Below are 2 screen grabs from flightrader taken yesterday. Surely if it is so important at local level it is even more important at international level. All these planes are not travelling empty.

FR1.jpg
    FR2.jpg

They are.

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/agenda/briefing/2020-04-01/2/stopping-empty-flights-due-to-covid-19-pandemic-parliament-to-endorse-proposal

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Acquiescence

My neighbour interrogated me this morning as I had a cup of coffee waiting for the bike to warm up.

He must think I've been going off for a jaunt in the pissing rain every morning for the last 6 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

This bit got to me

Clutching a photograph of his wife, Tom paced up and down his garden, a short distance from where his wife was being laid to rest. It was all that he could do.

“I am not going to break all the rules and walk up there and see her. I’m not going to do that because that would not be right; it would be selfish on all the people of Derrylin,” he said.
    ****end of quote ****

But I know, some people get entrenched and can't, or won't see a bigger picture.
    What can you do ��

Unfortunately their is a serious chance that Tom being the good neighbour that he is has passed this dreadful virus onto his elderly neighbors in that close as he calls in on them daily and does a lot of the shopping for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Reports today of Gardai stopping traffic on the N11 and asking them to justify their journey.

In a democratic country that's quite the thing. I know these are exceptional circumstances, but surely a family unit living in the same home driving in a closed car isn't going to spread anything to anyone. A motorcyclist with helmet on and visor down surely isn't either, especially if they can pay at pump for petrol like at my local Maxol.

This seems intended to scare people and is over the top in my humble opinion.

Deleted. Stay at home

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭BKtje

Flights are also transporting cargo in many cases. The guy knows how everyone feels and if he still goes out for a spin then so be it. You can't control what other people do.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

OP stay at home and leave the empty roads for essential workers...

...like me on my bike commuting ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,633 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Nozebleed wrote: »
    Deleted.

The worst kind of troll . A dangerous one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

listermint wrote: »
    The worst kind of troll . A dangerous one

You mean a poster who has his own opinion and doesnt agree with the self righteous knobs on here.....its starting to look a lot like Biker.ie....the one everyone hates...;);)

• Advertisement

You mean a poster who has his own opinion and doesnt agree with the self righteous knobs on here.....its starting to look a lot like Biker.ie....the one everyone hates...;);)

Biker .ie is full of fools who make noises and make crap jokes about sexuality and it's a big bro fest.

So if you mean nothing like biker .ie then yes you'd be accurate.

If you call me a self righteous knob then It doesn't really bother me better a self righteous knob than an inconsiderate gob****e who can't see past his own front door. Name calling is for the school yard are you five ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Nozebleed wrote: »
    Deleted.

Cool story bro.
    I suppose Fine Gael are responsible for what happened in Italy too

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    People are knobs by adhering to the law during a global epidemic? That's taking the piss a bit.

Pandemic?

No sure it's scaremongering...

It's only old people...

It's Leo making money of me...

It's the Chinese....

Something something my opinion trumps facts and science how dare you question my opinion

listermint wrote: »
    Biker .or is full of fools who make noises and make crap jokes about sexuality and it's a big bro fest.

So if you mean nothing like biker .ie then yes you'd be accurate.

If you call me a self righteous knob then It doesn't really bother me better a self righteous knob than an inconsiderate gob****e who can't see past his own front door. Name calling is for the school yard are you five ?

Some very bored angry posters on here lately.....did i call you self righteous personally....if you want to don that cap, feel free....:rolleyes:

Other people have opinions...get over yourself...kick the dog or wife...:p

Some very bored angry posters on here lately.....did i call you self righteous personally....if you want to don that cap, feel free....:rolleyes:

Other people have opinions...get over yourself...kick the dog or wife...:p

As I said. Opinions that have no basis in reality need to be fact checked.

It's quite literally stupid personal opinions that swept brexit through and trump to power . If you want that sort of ignorance brought into this island by all means knock yourself out. But there will be people like myself happy to point you in a factual direction. Use that information as you please but don't expect it to not happen .

Your wrong its a simple as that. The World Health Organization classifies it as a pandemic. Think I'll trust them

You missed the sarcasm..

Your wrong its a simple as that. The World Health Organization classifies it as a pandemic. Think I'll trust them

Tut tut...silly man...you know he knows everything about everything and his opinion is greater than the people that ACTUALLY know things......

200.gif?cid=ecf05e47985e96779b5718c8a054b8127897bfa0f90719e8&rid=200.gif

Tut tut...silly man...you know he knows everything about everything and his opinion is greater than the people that ACTUALLY know things......

200.gif?cid=ecf05e47985e96779b5718c8a054b8127897bfa0f90719e8&rid=200.gif

Seems you missed the sarcasm too. That's embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Don't worry everyone, the bike hasn't gone anywhere yet. It will at some point but not further than the local shop unfortunately :(

Weather is really annoying. Few little jobs I want to do, but not in a freezing cold shed...

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Breezin

Epic levels of preaching on here.
    Wonder where all the priests went to in Ireland? The internet. Pulpet-bashing paradise for moralisers, but never more than at a time of crisis.
    Zero evidence for actual Covid 19 risk given. Zero understanding of proportionality of response. But who needs that when you have groupthink and hysteria.

Advertisement