Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Shutdown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,483 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Breezin wrote: »
    Epic levels of preaching on here.
    Wonder where all the priests went to in Ireland? The internet. Pulpet-bashing paradise for moralisers, but never more than at a time of crisis.
    Zero evidence for actual Covid 19 risk given. Zero understanding of proportionality of response. But who needs that when you have groupthink and hysteria.

It's not preaching, it's not groupthink, it's not hysteria...it's quoting the HSE guidelines and telling someone to have a bit of cop on.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Don't worry everyone, the bike hasn't gone anywhere yet. It will at some point but not further than the local shop unfortunately :(

Weather is really annoying. Few little jobs I want to do, but not in a freezing cold shed...

Lovely day today..I was working on and cleaning my rides until teatime....cracking evening..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Wonder where all the priests went to in Ireland? The internet. Pulpet-bashing paradise for moralisers, but never more than at a time of crisis.
    Zero evidence for actual Covid 19 risk given. Zero understanding of proportionality of response. But who needs that when you have groupthink and hysteria.

well you know what they say: just cos you're paranoid doesn't mean they're. ..not...out to get you.

And just because it's a real threat based on science doesn't make it groupthink either.

Next thing you'll be saying is that all those 1000s in Italy who died.... didn't happen I suppose.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭sonic85

Your post is complete and utter bollocks but I'd say you knew that anyway didn't ya? The fact a couple of people thanked this rubbish would make you despair. Go do a bit of research there like a good lad - take a look at what's happening in Spain and Italy and then read over what you've typed there. ****in bell end

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭H_Lime

steve-mcqueen-on-motorcycle-retro-images-archive.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Zero evidence? Are you actually mentally challenged?
    Yeah the entire world is doing this because of social media. They should instead be listening to geniuses like you who know everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

The award for the biggest gob****e on this thread goes to you, congratulations!

batman_oh wrote: »
    Zero evidence? Are you actually mentally challenged?
    Yeah the entire world is doing this because of social media. They should instead be listening to geniuses like you who know everything!

The other downside of this situation is the sudden growth in SM obsessed fools and the amount of sudden "celebrities" appearing on the news...every fcuking attention seeker is out there trying to be funny ..and the likes of Philip Scholfields etc says he misses hugs on his birthday..and thats on RTE news....My nephew's birthday is on saturday and he'll be missing the hugs....he's 6....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Awww yeah, going out for a spin is fine. Its a special case like, no risk. While you are out, or at the fillings station, you can have a chat with the long distance runners, cyclists, golfers, fishermen and the other lads who are also special and know best who feel the advise to stay the fcuk home doesnt apply to them. What could go wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

The other downside of this situation is the sudden growth in SM obsessed fools and the amount of sudden "celebrities" appearing on the news...every fcuking attention seeker is out there trying to be funny ..and the likes of Philip Scholfields etc says he misses hugs on his birthday..and thats on RTE news....My nephew's birthday is on saturday and he'll be missing the hugs....he's 6....

Another reason not to be on Facebook, its terrible at the best of times! I feel sorry for the kids like your nephew, **** for him on his birthday not having his friends about. Iv 3 kids at home here but luckily social media and xbox live is keeping the interaction with friends going at the moment, not so easy when you are 6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Breezin

Plenty of predictable, foaming-at-the-mouth name-calling and abuse -- I suppose they need the therapy to confirm them in their scramble to the high moral ground. Not really the way to engage in discussion.

The OP simply is making a mild suggestion, which I agree with, that there might be a case for looking at the lockdown and tweaking it. Or even just expressing an opinion that it'd be nice to get out for a spin. It's a trivial, almost irrelevant issue in the context, but this is a motorcycling forum. And I suppose that precisely because it's a forum, now, anyone who wants to ride a motorbike is condemned by the mob as some kind of Harold Shipman. Extremism wins.

Still precious little reasoned argument, or even pointing to specific risks, as to how riding a motorcycle during a virus pandemic helps spread a virus.

If it's so 'simple', as has been claimed, then just show the evidence. If you show evidence that isn't whataboutery concerning car drivers and joggers, I'll be convinced. If you can't be arsed, and want to be Victor Orban, or if you just want to shout and jump around some more, knock yourself out. Similarly if you want to paint others as Trump lovers. He hates science.

But some people just prefer pitchforks. It's who they are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Awww yeah, going out for a spin is fine. Its a special case like, no risk. While you are out, or at the fillings station, you can have a chat with the long distance runners, cyclists, golfers, fishermen and the other lads who are also special and know best who feel the advise to stay the fcuk home doesnt apply to them. What could go wrong?

in terms of the virus..whats the difference in risk of a guy going for a jog/walk for an hour or so everyday and a guy going for a spin on his bike?

or am i allowed post such a question...seeing as my previous factual post was reported and deleted by the forum police. censorship alive and well here on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,483 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Plenty of predictable, foaming-at-the-mouth name-calling and abuse -- I suppose they need the therapy to confirm them in their scramble to the high moral ground. Not really the way to engage in discussion.

The OP simply is making a mild suggestion, which I agree with, that there might be a case for looking at the lockdown and tweaking it. Or even just expressing an opinion that it'd be nice to get out for a spin. It's a trivial, almost irrelevant issue in the context, but this is a motorcycling forum. And I suppose that precisely because it's a forum, now, anyone who wants to ride a motorbike is condemned by the mob as some kind of Harold Shipman. Extremism wins.

Still precious little reasoned argument, or even pointing to specific risks, as to how riding a motorcycle during a virus pandemic helps spread a virus.

If it's so 'simple', as has been claimed, then just show the evidence. If you show evidence that isn't whataboutery concerning car drivers and joggers, I'll be convinced. If you can't be arsed, and want to be Victor Orban, or if you just want to shout and jump around some more, knock yourself out. Similarly if you want to paint others as Trump lovers. He hates science.

The rules are the rules. If one group thinks the rules should be tweeked to suit them, EVERYONE will think the rules should be tweeked. The weekend before the lockdown, the weather was class. I witnessed groups of bikers parked up at a beach with no social distancing going on. It's not JUST about the spread of the virus either, as has been pointed out, it's a drain on resources should there be an accident or incident, breakdown...or even something as simple as a puncture.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Nozebleed wrote: »
    in terms of the virus..whats the difference in risk of a guy going for a jog/walk for an hour or so everyday and a guy going for a spin on his bike?

or am i allowed post such a question...seeing as my previous factual post was reported and deleted by the forum police. censorship alive and well here on boards.

Bob might be very responsible but if you allow Bob out then you have to allow Derek out, and Derek is an idiot.

Another way of looking at it is that the risk, however small, is greater than if you stay at home. We should be trying to reduce risk and asking people to curtail leisure activities isn't really that much of an ask.

Jesus H Christ this is unbelievable. Lads you've been told to stay at home and make no unnecessary journeys unless its absolutely necessary - how ****in hard is that to understand? Is it a comprehension issue or is it something else?

Emmersonn wrote: »

Thanks for posting that fair play - keep me occupied for a couple of hours over the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

tenor.gif?itemid=16340543

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There's probably zero risk of catching the virus on a bike during a spin There's a significant risk of being involved in an RTC and that's where the risk is.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Del2005 wrote: »
    There's probably zero risk of catching the virus on a bike during a spin There's a significant risk of being involved in an RTC and that's where the risk is.

True there's been a jump in accident's. I think we are up on the same time frame last year. Which is mad considering the drop in traffic like it's dropped prob 70 percent.

People must be driving mad speeds on the road.

Anyone see that Luas limping home from chapel Street last week. A lorry absolutely obliterated the front of it. He would have had to be doing some speed and right through a red light.

• Advertisement

Just to break the motorcycle..........IF YOURE EASILY OFFENDED DO NOT WATCH THIS VIDEO.........:P

R.I.P Adam Schlesinger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZLfasMPOU4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Just to break the motorcycle..........IF YOURE EASILY OFFENDED DO NOT WATCH THIS VIDEO.........:P

R.I.P Adam Schlesinger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZLfasMPOU4

Sigh...<unzips for the fifth time today...>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Lol, five?!!

H_Lime wrote: »
    Lol, five?!!

This shutdown is doing my head in, I've cleaned all my bikes, tidied the tupperware drawer, cut the grass, fixed the doorbell, taken down the Christmas lights off the front of the house and now there's nothing else left to do. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭listermint

This shutdown is doing my head in, I've cleaned all my bikes, tidied the tupperware drawer, cut the grass, fixed the doorbell, taken down the Christmas lights off the front of the house and now there's nothing else left to do. :rolleyes:

lawmmover blade needs sharperning!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Acquiescence

One of my jobs is 'essential' so the 10 minute daily spin is going a long way to keeping me slightly sane.

I did consider whether I should park the bike up and take herself's car but..

listermint wrote: »
    lawmmover blade needs sharperning!

Gonna do me own as soon as i finish sharpening me Bic.........:P

• Registered Users Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I've done fúck all around the house. No motivation whatsoever :(

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

I've done fúck all around the house. No motivation whatsoever :(

Clean your bike so.