Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What are you working on currently?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

That's cool - his intro is straight from the Frank Howarth school of workshop stop frame animation. What a great space.

Frank Howarth's videos are brilliant. ViTTEN is well worth a look-he does some amazing stuff, I got a few great tips from his videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bamayang

I was watching a Pask Makes video today and it just dawned on me the quality and standard of videos people put out daily for almost free on YouTube is just unreal. It’s almost at TV levels of production in editing/sound/picture and it’s all their for nothing. I’d say I easily watch YouTube about 5 times more than TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

I am hoping to extend my work space a little as it has got so tight in my garage space now with wide shelves for wood etc. Sadly getting the job done now will be virtually impossible given all the restrictions that this pandemic has created.

But I'm not complaining, just happy me and all my family are safe and well still. Small mercies.

I have made a few small things over the past few months but it had just been too cold outside (my one car garage) to even think about spending a half day out there (without any heating at all). Here's a few things I made. Hope they are of some interest to the group.

A cribbage board I made for my Dad using oak barrel stave and cross inlay of walnut strips
    66293657_2120111448282233_4732180677376606208_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=ehhUt3w3x9sAX8To2BE&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=66034fffb1c8cd23ffd0129936bf985d&oe=5EA96A71

A barrel stave table lamp
    62131881_2098509263775785_4473250297535266816_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=753ewC7WQ2kAX89pq_3&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&_nc_tp=7&oh=c2986ab5429f89f4ea7470a0dd990282&oe=5EABDCC0

A barrel stave tealight candle holder
    61599675_2092802101013168_2991812757411594240_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=Dp7w1T7jPioAX8_6HyZ&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&_nc_tp=6&oh=00b31ae16f87575ed3a42292c502377f&oe=5EAB4DB9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

bamayang wrote: »
    I was watching a Pask Makes video today and it just dawned on me the quality and standard of videos people put out daily for almost free on YouTube is just unreal. It’s almost at TV levels of production in editing/sound/picture and it’s all their for nothing. I’d say I easily watch YouTube about 5 times more than TV.

Neil Paskin is an amazing engineer and woodworker - I love his channel. Some of his "scrap wood challenge" videos are astounding. He's also very lucky in location - his workshop is next door to a commercial place that makes huge quantities of cutting boards and he has an endless supply of scrap Camphor Wood to take from whenever he needs some - lucky man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭The Duk

Running out of ply at this stage, knocked together a bookshelf to go where a toilet door used to be.

it does, has to be done by a mod though.

Cletus started one from fresh anyway - would be nice to include Sparks post in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭cletus

The Duk wrote: »
    Running out of ply at this stage, knocked together a bookshelf to go where a toilet door used to be.

Does it make using the toilet a bit awkward 😂

cletus wrote: »
    Does it make using the toilet a bit awkward 😂

Doh! Walked into that one 😉

So, while not exactly a woodcraft project, this will help with woodcrafting.

For those few of you who were subjected to photos of my shed, you might have noticed I have a couple of machinist bench vices, but no woodworking vice.

I'm making up a set of soft jaws for one of the no. 4 vices (and possibly the no.1 as well) to hold material that would otherwise be damaged

508246.jpg

• Advertisement

Progress continuing slowly but surely on the loft bed. Got nothing done yesterday because I was outside all day reducing a mountain of cut branches to firewood.

I spent today oiling the frame and applied the second or perhaps third last coat of finish to the back panels - it was meant to be the last but they just aren't quite there yet. OSB can look great in furniture but dear god it drinks finish .. the side panels took 750ml of varnish and 500ml of Danish Oil between them, they're like polished glass now and feel soft/warm to the touch.

Next up is an apron/lipping along the front to prettify the slat ends and then the ladder.

Thankfully we don't use our dining room often because it has been in there for weeks more than it was meant to at this stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Fernhill is within our 2km exercise limit, so we wander around there when we need fresh air, because, well, look at it:

2020-04-04-16.12.20a.jpg

They do the fae-folk-doors-in-the-trees thing for the kids, but they don't have any toadstools (and I've always seen toadstools with those before). Also, they had the tree surgeon in before the lockdown but haven't removed the logs yet, so I...er... liberated one :D

IMG_4295a.jpg

Hacked off a lump, put it on the lathe...

Turned an okayish toadstool from it.

IMG_4309a.jpg

IMG_4310a.jpg

The second one.... well, I'm glad I was wearing the faceshield, or I'd be going to the dentist to have some bark removed round about now :D

2020-04-05-17.05.24a.jpg

Off-center turning is fun but scary :D

Two more chunks of log to go, then I'll stick some dowels in the bases of them and Calum and I will go plant them back in Fernhill by the doors in the trees for the other kids.

I might liberate another branch if nobody's looking...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Very cool idea replanting them in the forest:)

Well, technically I stole the log, so that's just me trying to stay out of the pokey for looting in a pandemic :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭marlyman

Purple heart and Sepele lamp

My first bowl :)

2020-04-08-23.18.09a.jpg

Not sure of the wood (it came from one of homeofwood.co.uk's variety packs and the miniatures in those aren't often labelled), but it's finished in poppy seed oil and a single coat of blonde shellac.

• Advertisement

So, my boys asked me if I had an elastic band to keep their UNO cards together...

508927.jpg

508928.jpg

508929.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Sparks wrote: »
    My first bowl :)

2020-04-08-23.18.09a.jpg

Not sure of the wood (it came from one of homeofwood.co.uk's variety packs and the miniatures in those aren't often labelled), but it's finished in poppy seed oil and a single coat of blonde shellac.

Nicely finished! Looks like Beech?

I'm waiting on (yet another) sack of blanks from home of wood. I find them great as I've np space here for milling my own timber, as I'm in the middle of the town.

Finally got around to doing this little project. Hopefully that the end to me losing any more router bits :pac:

EVL47bRXkAgGE4U?format=jpg&name=small

I was going to ask what the rubber bungs were, but on close inspection, they look like they might be made for this job

I was going to ask what the rubber bungs were, but on close inspection, they look like they might be made for this job

That's exactly what they're for! They take both the 1/4" & 1/2" bits. Got 2 packs off amazon last year sometime. 10 in a pack, I should have got a few more packs. I didn't try any forstner bits, would look neat on that rack.....

• Advertisement

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Nicely finished! Looks like Beech?
    Spalted sycamore apparently. Definitely not beech, I have some of that in the shed and this looked nothing like it.

That's exactly what they're for! They take both the 1/4" & 1/2" bits. Got 2 packs off amazon last year sometime. 10 in a pack, I should have got a few more packs. I didn't try any forstner bits, would look neat on that rack.....

I was going to ask about them too - they look very handy, a quick search on Rockler's site turned up the link: https://www.rockler.com/rockler-router-bit-storage-inserts-10-pack

Thanks Mick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

A clock designed 4 years ago, I decided to do a sort of cabinet for it. Not finished yet, but not far off.
    Corner moldings too short etc. Then varnish at some stage.
    cab1.jpgcab4.jpgcab2.jpgcab3.jpg

Clock itself: (I could have done with reducing image sizes)
    img-1462648207673-v.jpgimg-1462228059157-v.jpgimg-1462716362681-v.jpgbalance-wheel.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Spalted sycamore apparently. Definitely not beech, I have some of that in the shed and this looked nothing like it.
    Definitely sycamore. Sycamore does get affected by fungus just like beech, but it's often much finer and subtle, often called lacey sycamore because the lines resemble lace.

Bruthal, that clock is fantastic. Did you design it from the ground up, or did you get plans from somewhere

Bruthal, that clock is fantastic. Did you design it from the ground up, or did you get plans from somewhere

I designed from scratch. Based on a remontoire movement, spring driven. I have designed a few, that one is the most interesting though. 2016 I did that one, and still the odd slight modification comes into mind and I do it.

Didnt think the balance wheel idea would work as I had not seen any wood clocks with a true balance wheel, but it did. The balance wheel is good in that the clock keeps going even when way off level, which a pendulum one can not when only slightly moved off its set level

Even on the passenger seat of the car, the balance wheel one will keep going.
    I might put up a video of it in a few minutes.

Balance wheel clock in near finished cabinet

Amazing! How many hours went into that:pac:

iamtony wrote: »
    Amazing! How many hours went into that:pac:

Its hard to say, but if i built another one now, it would be working in a few days, as the drawings are there. That one being a new design at the time, took a while.

• Advertisement

Do you sell or otherwise distribute those plans?

Do you sell or otherwise distribute those plans?

I have never intended selling them. I have given away plans for the simpler clocks once or twice. Never heard how they got on. They are sort of easy and not easy at the same time. It is 8 years since I did the first one I designed myself. A lot has been learned since then. That one is still in the hall. Again I modified that one this year, replacing the graham escapement with a grasshopper.

Bruthal wrote: »
    I have never intended selling them. I have given away plans for the simpler clocks once or twice. Never heard how they got on. They are sort of easy and not easy at the same time. It is 8 years since I did the first one I designed myself. A lot has been learned since then. That one is still in the hall. Again I modified that one this year, replacing the graham escapement with a grasshopper.
    em....yeah....yeah....the Graham escapement for a eh... Grasshopper...good call:o does the grasshopper keep you up at night:pac:

em....yeah....yeah....the Graham escapement for a eh... Grasshopper...good call:o does the grasshopper keep you up at night:pac:

That was my initial thought too. Methinks this thread could inspire many questions in the "no such thing as a stupid question" thread...

does the grasshopper keep you up at night:pac:

Not now that it works properly

That was my initial thought too.

Here is the one in question from 2012, original (25 seconds in to see the escapement), and after the modification is second video.

Bruthal, that's absolutely magnificent.

Got an 18g brad nailer the other day (to go with the cutest little 6L draper air compressor which is the biggest one that'll fit in the shed) and knocked up a *very* quick-n-dirty planter today out of offcuts - since there'll be no visits to the garden center with the lockdown extended, we're making do :)

2020-04-10-17.13.05a.jpg

2020-04-10-17.13.32a.jpg

2020-04-10-17.26.39a.jpg

Granted, not fine furniture but it beats what we were using till now :D

2020-04-10-17.26.58a.jpg

What brad gun did you get

• Advertisement

Makita AF505.

2020-04-10-15.40.01a.jpg

Lovely solid thing.

So if I had my pick of kitchens, it would be a http://www.kerfdesign.com Kitchen. I've decided I'll try make a basic cabinet with 3 drawers. Not having ply to start I've decided to make a few jigs to pay homage to Kerf. First up is a trench jig, it'll give me the look I'm going for as I'm only armed with a track saw, mitre saw and router. My plan is to have a flush panel between each drawer. Next up will be a jig for the handle cut out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Few bits I got done in the last few weeks:

Some shelves for the kids room, most of a sheet of ply used, rabbets, biscuits & glue for the joints:

IyZYRWYl.jpg

qERAefpl.jpg

I made it as large as possible for the space, needless to say It covered both sockets in the area.. :o

ti4Ufoml.jpg

I upgraded the first woodworking project I did a couple of years ago, a floating bed made out of pine & veneered with some Teak on the visible edges.

LGrr29Ul.jpg

Basically I changed the 3 x 2's on the outside to oak to match the lockers, (will also be insulating and cladding the rear wall with wood panels, so it should look well...)

zOPew8Al.jpg

uktF5Nll.jpg

The joints came out OK, round-over bit on the edges, sanded to 320 and some finish.

tB2yRcMl.jpg

W3OCtgUl.jpg

rYHj1dbl.jpg

And some chopping boards, we'll not be short of these for a while :)

HMJs5Xjl.jpg

The Duk wrote: »
    So if I had my pick of kitchens, it would be a http://www.kerfdesign.com Kitchen. I've decided I'll try make a basic cabinet with 3 drawers. Not having ply to start I've decided to make a few jigs to pay homage to Kerf. First up is a trench jig, it'll give me the look I'm going for as I'm only armed with a track saw, mitre saw and router. My plan is to have a flush panel between each drawer. Next up will be a jig for the handle cut out.

Looks great!

Just did my first bit of woodturning for several years. A shallow 11" diameter bowl in yew, finished with Organoil Hi-Speed finishing oil, my favourite finish. Turned (!) out quite well IMHO.

IMG-20200411-170208.jpg

IMG-20200411-170221.jpg

Makita AF505.

2020-04-10-15.40.01a.jpg

Lovely solid thing.

How big a nail can it drive?

• Advertisement

bamayang wrote: »
    How big a nail can it drive?

15-50mm brads.

JayZeus wrote: »
    15-50mm brads.

Is it working well? I was going to get one and wondering which one to go with.

Alun wrote: »
    Just did my first bit of woodturning for several years. A shallow 11" diameter bowl in yew, finished with Organoil Hi-Speed finishing oil, my favourite finish. Turned (!) out quite well IMHO.

IMG-20200411-170208.jpg

IMG-20200411-170221.jpg

Yew'll be happy with that! :pac:

Yew'll be happy with that! :pac:
    Yes, very happy :D It's a lovely piece of wood, had it for ages sitting in the workshop. Dry as a bone and verrrry hard. The thing I love about yew is that you can get a really glossy smooth finish on it without too much effort using only natural things like oils and waxes.

Alun wrote: »
    Yes, very happy :D It's a lovely piece of wood, had it for ages sitting in the workshop. Dry as a bone and verrrry hard. The thing I love about yew is that you can get a really glossy smooth finish on it without too much effort using only natural things like oils and waxes.

I love Yew too! Yeah, you can get a brilliant finish on it alright. But you'd need to be careful when sanding and polishing though, not to build up too much heat (can happen quite fast!). It can cause little hairline cracks, happened me a few times till one of the lads in our chapter put me wise to it!

I find it very difficult to get much Yew around these parts, I got some lovely blanks off home of wood in uk. I'd like to get my hands on some bigger spindle lengths for making some lamps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement