Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If it's worth doing, do it right!!!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Lots of Donegal references in logs these days. Have extended family up there, this video provided much amusement in the big snow some years back. Love the pronunciation of car. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Cheek of some lad to call me cringeworthy on another log......:P:P:P

Monday 18.5.20

Rest Day.

Tuesday 19.5.20

6.10 miles GA@8.20min/miles in 50mins 53secs

Short lap around the neighbourhood on a beautiful warm Dutch afternoon.

Wednesday 20.5.20

7.20 miles GA@7.59min/miles in 57mins 35secs

Dropped eldest off for his soccer training and headed off on this, another lovely warm afternoon but the Garmin was acting the fook, jumping all over the place pace wise. Enjoyable run, which ones aren't.

Thursday 21.5.20

w/u, 3x St Hubertuspark laps, c/d

Ascension Day in The Netherlands so had the day off work, out late morning to do this as it was promised to be much warmer come afternoon. Quick warm up and into the laps. Only recently discovered this little park, Netherlands wise it has a few nasty climbs in it. Goal was to push on the hills, steady on the not so flat parts of the park and hard on the downhills!! Legs were feeling it come the end of the 3rd lap and the sweating was just shocking:eek::eek::eek:. Great little session.

Friday 22.5.20

10.50 miles Endurance@7.39min/miles in 1hr 20mins 26secs

Legs sore starting out but eased off as i got into this, out to Ockenburgh and a lap around the estate and back the way i came. Not as hot but humidity made the sweating worse than the previous day.

Saturday 10.65 miles GA@8.17min/miles in 1hr 28mins 14secs

Out straight after work into the strong wind and humid conditions. Body felt tired on his to be truthful and legs were very unbouncy. Got it done and enjoyed it none the less.

Sunday 7.90 miles GA@8.20min/miles in 65mins 53secs

Took it handy on this and let the miles tick by, normal Sunday afternoon with loads out and about be it either on a bike or on foot. Great facilities here that the Dutch make full use of and look after them.

48.50 miles for the week, happy with that, nothing amazing running wise in it but some solid miles. Same again this week with no taper for the mile TT, not sure what time to expect but will give it 100% effort and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

You will have the last laugh this weekend - One M42 to another :P

You will have the last laugh this weekend - One M42 to another :P

Jaysis being a year younger there’s pressure on me now!!!

Monday 25.5.20

Rest Day.

Tuesday 26.5.20

8.30 miles GA@8.16min/miles in 68mins 40secs

Out after work to get this done, an absolutely beautiful warm day here in The Netherlands with not a cloud in the sky. Was sweating buckets as usual in this weather and at roughly 5 miles in i felt all energy completely drain from me. I went from bouncing along one second to struggling to put one foot in front of the other next. i slowed to a crawl, a lady out power walking actually passed me i was going that slow:eek::eek:. But just like it happened it switched back the other way, weird run!!

Wednesday 27.5.20

w/u, Trim Ac Virtual Relay - 2km leg, c/d.

Warm up up along Pompstationweg to a quiet cycle lane called Maurits Kiekpad that runs along the other part of Meijendal. Quick shakeout of the legs and switch to the 2k TT programmed into the watch and off i go. I make sure not to blast from the start and work into it, bit of Garmin watching till i get into the pace i want then a matter of holding that if i can.

Short of a kilometre i hear a collective thumping of footsteps approaching me, then from around a corner a large group of Dutch army appear all kitted out on some kind of trek, all suited and booted, carrying large backpacks and impressive looking rifles in there hands.

I consider barging through but figuring there is 50-60 these guys i might be on a losing battle if things went pear shaped!! Stop the watch and stand aside to let them pass. Stop was no more than 10secs but my momentum is knocked slightly and find it hard to get back into pace. The cycle lane veres left and uphill here, i'm holding pace but want faster.

Crest the bump and turn right at the back of the International Criminal Court, the mile beeps at 5.26 and i push for the last 400m of so, sweat stinging my eyes and spit all over my face. Watch vibrates for the end of the TT, look down and see 6.46.76, happy with that, but wondering what momentum i lost because of those Army boys. 7.20 miles for the day.

Thursday 28.5.20

9.55 miles GA@8.18min/miles in 1hr 19mins 14secs

Again out the gap after work and headed towards Kijkduin along the streets, sunny and quiet breezy out but a lovely day to run. Skirted in along Ockenburgh estate before joining up withe cycle lane at the rear of the beach. Wonderful smell of wild roses as i ran along here, a smell that brought me back to my youth in Connemara along with my Mamo. She used to have wild roses in here garden that she attended to so well and its a smell that always reminds me of that great woman, 95 odd years young she is now. Back home and a foamy sweaty mess that ReeReeG would love:P:P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

OOnegative wrote: »
    Thursday 28.5.20

9.55 miles GA@8.18min/miles in 1hr 19mins 14secs

Again out the gap after work and headed towards Kijkduin along the streets, sunny and quiet breezy out but a lovely day to run. Skirted in along Ockenburgh estate before joining up withe cycle lane at the rear of the beach. Wonderful smell of wild roses as i ran along here, a smell that brought me back to my youth in Connemara along with my Mamo. She used to have wild roses in here garden that she attended to so well and its a smell that always reminds me of that great woman, 95 odd years young she is now. Back home and a foamy sweaty mess that ReeReeG would love:P:P.

Beautiful image to start my bank holiday weekend off right :o

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

I fear the two tyrants in charge of the 1 mile TT won't accept the excuse of encountering those Army guys tomorrow. You'll have to plough through them

Treviso wrote: »
    I fear the two tyrants in charge of the 1 mile TT won't accept the excuse of encountering those Army guys tomorrow. You'll have to plough through them

I won’t be entering a time if I encounter them tomorrow afternoon, wouldn’t give the tyrants the opportunity to shoot me down!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Yep. No ten second breaks allowed tomorrow........

Yep. No ten second breaks allowed tomorrow........

Yet I afforded you the opportunity to run your 5k TT on Sunday if I remember correctly......... You used to be sound!!!!!

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote:
    Yet I afforded you the opportunity to run your 5k TT on Sunday if I remember correctly......... You used to be sound!!!!!

And I ran it on Saturday..... Coz I'm deadly sound. Haha

Friday 29.5.20

8.20 miles GA@8.17min/miles in 8.17min/miles in 67mins 56secs

Early to work, my first loop involved seven 25kgs bags of mail to be pushed around on the manual push cart. Basically i had to fit the seven bags into 3 paniers that hang off the front and sides of the cart. S&C training right there!! My second loop i could carry all the post in my shoulder carry bag:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:. Home and out the door for my run, baking out but lovely weather to run, i sweated buckets but that's nothing new. Home and enjoyed one to many(9) shandies with herself later that evening.

Saturday 30.5.20

w/u, Boards A/R 1 mile TT, c/d

Again early to work, quick beer pick up at 9am:eek::eek: first. The mail arrives early on Saturdays so i was done and dusted by 1pm, took food and plenty of water on board while delivering. I find it funny doing this job, most of us have two loops a day. I am done most days by 1.30pm, the other guys view it as a whole 9-5 job, i would have 5 loops delivered at that stage:confused::confused:.

Home and quick change into the running gear, warm up again via Pomstationweg to Maurits Kiekpad. A quick drink and wet of the head at the many free water faucets available around the area, switch the Garmin to the mile TT programmed into the watch and off i go. I settled into target pace quick enough, possibly to soon but kept it going. My plan was to settle into 5.25-30 for first 1,200m and hope to push the on after that.

Feeling strong for first 2.30 minutes or so, passing cyclists, a few of which shouted "snelle"as i ran, but then i felt the legs drain of pace. I tried pushing but pace drifted as i did and the watch told me this. I was fighting now just passed half way and the real hurt hadn't even began!! I held pace as best as i could as i knew there was a bump up ahead, a bump that would drain the legs of even more seconds. The heat was warm but i'm not using that as an excuse, i've acclimatised to it at this stage.

The bump came and i looked at the watch, 5.29 went to 5.34 in a matter of a few steps, but it never went slower. I had something to work off, i knew the right hand turn was up ahead, flat glorious cycle path. Get there and hammer Barry!! I turn right, i empty the tank as much as i can, i'm making all kinds of shapes and faces as i run, i'm rinsing myself as much as i can. The watch is not even a thought anymore.

The cycle path straightens as i near the International Criminal Court, the watch starts to beep for end of the TT, final push i see 5.29.16. I immediately put hands on knees and make all kinds of animalistic noises for good minute or so:o:o. The pool of sweat that came off me would make ReeReeG vomit on the spot.

I had given my all, but i wasn't happy, are we ever, do you ever look back at a race and not thing i could have eeked a second here or there? I know i'm capable of better, a 5.23 mile split mid-week during the Club Relay TT tells me as much. Did i sulk after, did i hell, i was disappointed in myself but hugely thankful of all the encouragement on Strava after. Revenge will be had. 6.95 miles for the day.

Sunday 31.5.20

10.15 miles GA@8.08min/miles in 1hr 22mins 37secs

Up and out the gap by 8.10am(7.10am Irish time:D:D). I ran for the city centre for first time as i knew it would be quiet as it ends to be on weekends, the Dutch don't like rising early on Saturdays or Sundays. Around by the Maileveld and into Haagshe Bos and its wonderful ponds and bridges, loads of runners about and others doing yoga and boot campers. Pushed on through the trails and quick dart across into Clingendael, more wonderful trails through a WWII filled park. Few urban miles over to Van Stolkpark and its wonderful lakes and home. A wonderful run and a fantastic city.

50.50 miles for the week, a decent club TT and a mediocre Boards TT in there. Next week i'm on the 2.5km leg of the club TT, there will be no beer before it. The Blue team(mine) holds the lead from week one and the team captain doesn't want to let that lead slip over the next 3 weeks!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

How did they come up with the teams for the club relay? Is it transferable to a Boards TT?

skyblue46 wrote: »
    How did they come up with the teams for the club relay? Is it transferable to a Boards TT?

I don’t know how the teams were made up S, not all the speedy guys in the club are involved(a certain MC isn’t doing it) but the team I’m on has 3 fairly decent runners. Non-transferable as club TT’s are Monday-Friday job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

I think that in general, marathon runners underestimate the effort and recovery needed for the shorter distances. Given that you did a full effort 2k on Wednesday and you only had 2 days to recover, the TT yesterday was a really solid performance and you should be proud. Meant to tell you that on Saturday but I haven't been able to connect to the web :)

Monday 1.6.20

Rest Day.

Tuesday 2.6.20

8.35 miles GA@8.18min/miles in 69mins 20secs

Very short day at work so out again straight after i got finished. Absolutely melting day out but lovely weather for running, usual Tuesday affair at this stage, u towards Scheveningen on into Oostduinpark before a quick lap of St Hurbertuspark and home. Drenched through:D:D:D:D.

Wednesday 3.6.20

w/u, Trim AC Virtual Relay - 2.5k leg, c/d

As last week i done a warm-up up Pompstationweg but rather than stopping in my usual spot i continued up Van Alkemadelaan and decided to do Saturdays mile TT route in reverse with some added on. This meant a very slight uphill start but that would keep me honest starting off. Warm up done and off i went, easing into it at the start then using the slight downhill the other side to up the pace. Very humid out and i felt it, turned left at the International Criminal Court and around back on Maurits Kiekpad.

I was feeling ok, but the sweat was rolling off me into my eyes and stinging the sh!te out of them, the path was quiet thankfully, no so called imaginary Army this week:P:P:P. Keep pushing on, slight stumble at some drempels that i completely forgot about!! Look at the watch and i had completely missed the first mile split, i have little over 400m left, more drempels that i pay attention to this time.

I give a group of elderly walkers plenty of room as i pass as some look at the extremely sweaty man running past, final push and job done, 8.29.02 on the watch. As i recover, a rather attractive lady in a bikini on rollerblades comes zooming past, as i'm admiring her form i save my TT. Look down as bikini lady disappears towards the beach, workout deleted:mad::mad::mad:. Karma i think its called, 7.10 miles for the day.

Thursday 4.6.20

7.15 miles GA@8.21min/miles in 59mins 48secs

Some difference in 24hrs, no shorts worn to work today, back to the longer ones. Not feeling the love on this one, just felt bit off for some reason:confused:. Legs sore starting off but came back to normal after a few miles. Felt brand new by the time i was done and delighted i got out.

Tight right hamstring the past few weeks, it cramped very badly in my sleep a number of weeks back that resulted in me jumping out of bed hobbling around the place. Niggling me as i type.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

If you look at JP Gloria's channel on YouTube you'll see he has lots of Hamstring excerise and strengthening. Hope it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Imaginary Army men, rolerblading bikini ladies... i'm looking forward to next weeks instalment :)

Imaginary Army men, rolerblading bikini ladies... i'm looking forward to next weeks instalment :)

Think I’ve the Drama Queen of the Year sown up when it comes to the Boards A/R Awards 2020!!

Think I’ve the Drama Queen of the Year sown up when it comes to the Boards A/R Awards 2020!!

That makes me sooooo happy B, S seems to think i'm a bit of a drama queen:rolleyes: But you are in a completely different level, a truly worthy winner;)

• Advertisement

That makes me sooooo happy B, S seems to think i'm a bit of a drama queen:rolleyes: But you are in a completely different level, a truly worthy winner;)

I was going to say your a very very close second........

I was going to say your a very very close second........

How very dare you:eek:

Just one question...was she worth deleting your run for :pac:

Just one question...was she worth deleting your run for :pac:

Yip!!!!!

Yip!!!!!

That's all that matters hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

MY BAD wrote: »
    If you look at JP Gloria's channel on YouTube you'll see he has lots of Hamstring excerise and strengthening. Hope it helps

Luke will probably correct us both, but I'd be careful of doing strength work if there's a niggle.

Coming from a similar place recently (but no cramping) - the self massage worked wonders - you know the one, bent leg, dig into the muscle with your fingers, straighten the leg while the fingers are still bet into you.

A lot of stretching too works a good bit - not only the HS, but the glutes and rolling the IT band helped too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

What does GA mean?

What does GA mean?

General Aerobic runs.

Following on from what AMK said, I'd also not necessarily assume the source of the issue is the hamstring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Luke will probably correct us both, but I'd be careful of doing strength work if there's a niggle.

Coming from a similar place recently (but no cramping) - the self massage worked wonders - you know the one, bent leg, dig into the muscle with your fingers, straighten the leg while the fingers are still bet into you.

A lot of stretching too works a good bit - not only the HS, but the glutes and rolling the IT band helped too.

You're right. I should have added once you get over it, as it's obviously a weak point that may need addressing. I assumed he knows the craic but I guess for anyone else reading the log that wouldn't be an experienced runner or used to dealing with niggles and injuries

• Advertisement

MY BAD wrote: »
    You're right. I should have added once you get over it, as it's obviously a weak point that may need addressing. I assumed he knows the craic but I guess for anyone else reading the log that wouldn't be an experienced runner or used to dealing with niggles and injuries

You mention it as a weak point, I’m probably running seriously for 8 years or so and my hamstrings are the one part of my running body that’s always stood firm, always looked after me apart from in the closing miles of a marathon but that’s a given for most really.

I know FBOT1 has mentioned it in the past, maybe a lack of hydration issue over a few days. I definitely didn’t tweak anything on a run & the cramping during the night maybe points to a hydration issue?

Advertisement