Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If it's worth doing, do it right!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Was impressed when I saw that threshold session on Strava. Nothing easy about that session. Nicely done. Glad to see the mojo back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Was impressed when I saw that threshold session on Strava. Nothing easy about that session. Nicely done. Glad to see the mojo back

Cheers P, was surprised as I said but delighted with the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Curious about the steps reps? Doubt your doing it for fun!!

Darren 83 wrote: »
    Curious about the steps reps? Doubt your doing it for fun!!

It’s the nearest thing I have here to a hill!! So substituting the hills for steps or a different play on Hill reps to build leg strength and endurance.

Monday 9.3.20

8.05 miles Easy@8.28min/miles in 68mins 12secs.

Jaunt towards Scheveningen on to Oostduinpark and back home, can't remember much more about it so all must have been good!!

Tuesday 10.3.20

Rest Day.

Wednesday 11.3.20

w/u, 10x400m@5k(200m rec), c/d.

Up to the usual spot in the cycle paths to do this, lovely sunny morning but a stiffish breeze into the face on the odd 400's. Gritted the teeth on the first and found it much easier than i thought getting into the desired pace, from there on in it was a case of reigning the pace in at times and feeling very comfortable, rep splits were:

85.2, 85.8, 85.5. 85.5, 85, 85.9, 85.3, 85.4, 85.2, 85.4.

Noticed after first few the recovery was more 300m rather than the 200m i thought i had programmed into the watch:rolleyes:. None the less it was a decent session, cool down and 8.10 miles for the day.

Thursday 12.3.20

7.70 miles GA@8.20min/miles in 64mins 14secs.

Tired and hips very tight on this, busy preparing for a job interview has the mind frazzled a bit but glad to get out and clear the head. A day not many of us will forget.

Friday 13.3.20

Rest Day, the mail was delayed in arriving because the driver was stopped by the Dutch boys in blue, the heavens then opened for the day. I got one round done, home and put a shirt and tie on for a Skype interview, the track-ends underneath didn't go though!! Back out into the rain after to deliver two more rounds, home soaked and in no mood to run. Few ales that evening with herself.

Saturday 14.3.20

8.25 miles GA@8.20min/miles in 68mins 46secs.

Gloriously sunny day in Den Haag, head bit sore but got the post out of the way quick enough. Home and straight out the gap, headed for Clingendaal again which was bustling wit families, dog walkers and fellow runners. Wonderfully maintained WW2 bunker in the middle of the park that is now a sanctuary to rare bats, home via the Peace Palace. Lovely run.

Sunday 15.3.20

Rest Day.

Monday 16.3.20

10 mile Progression run + c/d@7.40min/miles in 1hr 26mins 36secs.

All at home today because of Coivd-19, morning occupying the children while herself went to the market for supplies. Out early afternoon, and headed off towards Meijendal, another lovely sunny afternoon with barely a breath of wind out. Goal on this was to increase the pace by 20secs or so every two miles till i got the ten done. Bouncing off the roads and paths and love every step of this, a run i didn't want to end. 11.30 miles in total.

43.40 miles for the week, a one that none of us will forget anytime soon. Life will continue as will running, there won't be any races for a long time i suspect but we'll cope with that to. Adhere to the guidelines and we'll come out the other side sooner rather than later hopefully. Take care of yourselves and the families, keep the running going folks for the minds as well as the waistlines.

• Advertisement

I had a detailed post of the past two weeks typed out but like a few I’ve seen here lately, it disappeared and I’m a one finger typist so won’t be doing it again!! Break down of important runs past two weeks:

Thursday 19.3.20

w/u, 12xOckenburgh Stairs, c/d.

I done same session exactly two weeks previously and just about got through it, I came out of this wanting to do more. No longer 97 steps as 5 sleepers have subsided due to weather making some of the gaps even steeper!!

Sunday 22.3.20

10.20 miles@8.18 in 1hr 24mins 34secs

Early Sunday morning run out to Scheveningen and onto the beach, past some hugely impressive WW2 bunkers and back home through the Meijendal.

Thursday 26.3.20

w/u, 8x600m@5k(300m rec), c/d.

Had young lad for company on this on his bike, felt great on these, feeling strong the whole way even on the 4 return reps from Kijkduin when the wind was against me. A session I wouldn’t have managed at this pace this time last year.

Saturday 28.3.20

12.10 mile Endurance@7.26min/miles in 1hr 30mins 02secs

Once more I had the young lad for company but it was more of a case of me trying to keep a safe eye on him as we done a big loop of the Meijendal. Again feeling super strong even after a few sherberts the night before.

So past two weeks I’ve averaged 42/43 miles a week off 5 days, plenty of activity with our eldest be it a cycle or run with him. It’s tough on him in current climates as he trains for soccer twice a week with a game on Saturday, Basketball on a Thursday as well as other sports activities through school. It’s important he gets to burn off his excess energy.

One of the post loops I do is on one of the busiest shopping/eating streets in the district I work. Full of busy little coffee shops, large pubs and boutique clothes shops normally. It’s a ghost town the past few weeks, my post is down as a result which is a bonus as it makes my day shorter but the normal happy, friendly interaction I would get from people is gone which is understandable. I leave the post on a table or chair rather than handing it to them and having a few words, no chat, post down and out the door.

All are adhering strictly to the social distancing here, streets are so much quieter you can actually walk them anytime of day due to the lack of cars!! If we all do our bit the world will come out stronger and a better place after this epidemic. Do your bit, keep your distance, get some exercise and most of all mind your health and stay safe folks.

Again nobody giving a toss about my log:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:!!

Monday 11.5.20

6.35miles Easy@8.30min/miles in 54mins 01secs.

Handy run around the neighbourhood but blowing a bloody gale, quads at me after the enforced 2 week lay of due to Covid.

Tuesday 12.5.20

Rest Day.

Wednesday 13.5.20

7.20miles GA@8.16min/miles in 59mis 30secs.

The little one had hockey practice, the big man had soccer practice. Herself obliged with the little one and i had to keep up with the big lad as he scootered to training. Fook me children can move on them bloody things:eek:. After busting a gut to keep up with him before he turned off i kept the pace up out towards Kijkduin and back in via Westduinpark and home. Lovely run.

Thursday 14.5.20

7.35miles GA@8.21min/miles in 61mins 27secs.

Another handy jaunt around the neighbourhood, recently discovered a hilly little park i long ignored on my runs, St Hubertuspark, proper hills in here!!

Friday 15.5.20

8.14miles GA@8.22min/miles in 68mins 11secs.

Beautiful sunny day out, got finished at work earlier than normal for a Friday so hit the road the minute i was done. Up towards Scheveningen first before heading to Ooostduinpark and then St Hubertuspark for a lap of hills and home.

Saturday 16.5.20

3.12miles Oran's Virtual "Against the Clock" 5km - 29mins 37secs.

He lined up at the front row as his Daddy told him and took it out fast but steady into the breeze for the first 400m before a right turn and some shelter, standing tall and settling in he ran at a pace his pacemaker was happy with. Another turn right and he made hay a bit with the breeze at his back, still tall and confident and talking way to much:D:D. Turned right again and hes cursing bikes getting in his way, he wants to go faster bu the pacemaker says no. Passed the start line and into the second lap, he tucks in and uses the pacemakers substantial arse as a block from the wind!!

Turns right again and more cyclists slowing him, dashes back up onto the path to speed up, berated by the pacemaker to slow down. A big shout out from his Mom and sister who had just done they're virtual 1km race!! Right again and breeze at the back once more, stride lengthening and his pacemaker gazes on with supreme pride as he bounds down the path. Right once more and those bikes get in his way again, pacemaker checks on how he is feeling, big thumbs up but no words. Pacemaker is worried by the silence:(.

Passed the start line for last time, he tries to tuck in behind the substantial arse again but falls back!! Pacemaker offers words of encouragement but no words back:(, turn right away from the wind again, more words to inspire him on, a response, a spring in the legs and the upright stride reappears. Motoring now but pacemaker doesn't want to let him go to early, strides on, he has a finish line in sight that the pacemaker foolishly thought would be the end:o. He strides out again, but his Dad can see he is hurting, tells him he'll need to turn right and run to the front door to finish it. He says hes is really hurting, tears attempt to come but he fights them back as the pacemaker talks him through it.

Last right turn and Dad tells him to give it all he can for last bit, he responds says he isn't giving up, his expression covered by his sunglasses, steely determined face saying i'm bringing this home and nothing is stopping me. Strides out till his Dad/pacemaker says he has done enough! He reckoned 35mins was his limit. Gives his Dad the most rewarding hug ever!! Super proud Mom & Dad.

10.11miles GA@8.21min/miles in 1hr 24mins 21secs.

On a high whole way through this, out into Meijendal and a quick 2nd place on a Strava Segment in St Hubertuspark and home.

Sunday 17.5.20

10.02miles Steady@7.30min/miles in 1hr 15mins 12secs.

Up early for me and out the gap, warm morning but the one thing that hit me from the off was the humidity, first time this year i've noticed it. Two miles to St Hurbertuspark and i was soaked, 5 x laps of hard on the uphills/downhills and steady on the flats(no flats in the park). Throughly drenched by time i was home and Anto's 45km 350m completed over the weekend to.

52.30 miles for week, happy with that the second week after getting over Covid-19, feeling good and might actually live up to my prediction on the mile TT thread.

A bit of a moan now, and i don't really care if nobody agrees with me or not. If someone has the manners to thank you on a post or give you kudos on a run maybe be nice enough to return the favour to that person. They have taken time out of there day to read your post or check your run out maybe you could do the same for them!! As i said i don't care if ye think i'm a moany hole, loads of logs here read by folks who don't give the person typing any credit by thanking there post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

What's the craic in Holland with covid 19. Is there a easing of restrictions? Is there talk of racing happening again?

Sub 30! Won't be long til he's pacing you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done Oran :D

You nearly had me crying reading that race report!

• Advertisement

MY BAD wrote: »
    What's the craic in Holland with covid 19. Is there a easing of restrictions? Is there talk of racing happening again?

Nope, Dam tot Damloop in September, the biggest race on the Dutch racing calendar was cancelled during the week. Talk the already postponed Rotterdam and Amsterdam marathons may be elite only if they do go ahead.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Can I ask, did you have Covid 19 in the end? If so, how do you find the runs/lungs since?

Can I ask, did you have Covid 19 in the end? If so, how do you find the runs/lungs since?

Yip, I did. Doctor 100% confirmed I had, I had zero fever during it but for 3/4 days I felt like someone had taken a sledgehammer to my whole body, I was in tears at one stage I was in so much pain. I had shortness of breath for 6/7 days, talking was a big issue but the missus seemed quiet happy with this symptom.

Energy wise, let’s just say living in a house with four flights of stairs was a killer, I needed to stop and catch my breath for each flight. Worst was the constant chest pain, this lasted the longest, 8/9 days thinking you had an something very heavy laying on your chest.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Lol @ your missus :D

Sorry to hear it was so rough. When you're out running now do you notice a difference in your breathing? Has it impacted your running?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

OOnegative wrote: »
    Yip, I did. Doctor 100% confirmed I had, I had zero fever during it but for 3/4 days I felt like someone had taken a sledgehammer to my whole body, I was in tears at one stage I was in so much pain. I had shortness of breath for 6/7 days, talking was a big issue but the missus seemed quiet happy with this symptom.

Energy wise, let’s just say living in a house with four flights of stairs was a killer, I needed to stop and catch my breath for each flight. Worst was the constant chest pain, this lasted the longest, 8/9 days thinking you had an something very heavy laying on your chest.

Pretty amazing that you were able to do 50 plus miles this week after that dose just a couple of weeks ago. Fair Fcuks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I was thinking the same

Lol @ your missus :D

Sorry to hear it was so rough. When you're out running now do you notice a difference in your breathing? Has it impacted your running?

Not that I’ve honestly noticed, bit lethargic starting out on every run since I’ve started back something that’s not affected me before if I’m truthful. Normally flying out the gap unless it’s after a tough session.

OOnegative wrote:
    Not that I’ve honestly noticed, bit lethargic starting out on every run since I’ve started back something that’s not affected me before if I’m truthful. Normally flying out the gap unless it’s after a tough session.

Session of pints or the other kind? Lol

Session of pints or the other kind? Lol

Now now Harry!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Like I said before the amount you sweat I’m surprised the virus didn’t drown :)

TbL

• Advertisement

Like I said before the amount you sweat I’m surprised the virus didn’t drown :)

TbL

Well if it isn’t drowned after this mornings 94% humidity run it never will be, I poured sweat out of my runners after and you more than anybody know I’m not exaggerating!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Well if it isn’t drowned after this mornings 94% humidity run it never will be, I poured sweat out of my runners after and you more than anybody know I’m not exaggerating!!

Yep it’s like running alongside a car wash on the foam cycle :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Glad to see you back moany hole :D

Glad to see you back moany hole :D

You taught me well!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Great to see you back B. It sounds like a serious dose :( Mind me asking did any of your family get it?

ariana` wrote: »
    Great to see you back B. It sounds like a serious dose :( Mind me asking did any of your family get it?

No thankfully, the four of us isolated completely for 14 days together and none of them caught anything from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

No thankfully, the four of us isolated completely for 14 days together and none of them caught anything from me.

That's pretty amazing and very fortunate. Must have been a very worrying time for you all, great to see you out the other side.

ariana` wrote: »
    That's pretty amazing and very fortunate. Must have been a very worrying time for you all, great to see you out the other side.

I knew things must have been bad when I was getting sympathy from herself. Her being from a tough Donegal family where if you were sick you shook it off and got on with life!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I knew things must have been bad when I was getting sympathy from herself. Her being from a tough Donegal family where if you were sick you shook it off and got on with life!!

You were blessed not to have passed it on especially given how contagious it is. My brother, his wife and both kids got it :(, all okay now thankfully but my niece was rushed to the ED with a temperature of 105 :eek:

It'll take more than a poxy virus to knock you down anyway, TBL has been trying for years without success so COVID-19 never stood a chance :D.

• Advertisement

You were blessed not to have passed it on especially given how contagious it is. My brother, his wife and both kids got it :(, all okay now thankfully but my niece was rushed to the ED with a temperature of 105 :eek:

It'll take more than a poxy virus to knock you down anyway, TBL has been trying for years without success so COVID-19 never stood a chance :D.

Jeez that’s scary!! I was very lucky.

Yeah if I caught nothing lethal off TbL, let’s face it he’s been about the place more than a village bike, Covid wasn’t going to get me!!!

Advertisement