Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If it's worth doing, do it right!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

How about Cork? I've signed up for the relay (with the wonderful Sanctuary Runners crew), it'll be deadly! L could do the relay too, or the half! G'wan :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

How about Cork? I've signed up for the relay (with the wonderful Sanctuary Runners crew), it'll be deadly! L could do the relay too, or the half! G'wan :D

It’s 3 weeks to late as we plan on visiting for kids midterm but that’s last week in April & first in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

OOnegative wrote: »
    It’s 3 weeks to late as we plan on visiting for kids midterm but that’s last week in April & first in May.

You could do Limerick (Sunday May 3rd) but I suggest you go for something outside the box ..... Ballyhoura mountain marathon Saturday May 2nd. It's where all the cool kids are going (if they stay in one piece :D)

You could do Limerick (Sunday May 3rd) but I suggest you go for something outside the box ..... Ballyhoura mountain marathon Saturday May 2nd. It's where all the cool kids are going (if they stay in one piece :D)

Am sure all cool kids are doing Ballyhoura but i’ve let the marathon dream go, disappointed as I am about it, this was the only window I was willing to dedicate to training for one. All my eggs were in Seville and seeing that’s not happening i’ll leave the marathon for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Seems like it's setup for a Barry V Paul half marathonoff in Limerick on the bank Holiday weekend.................

• Advertisement

Seems like it's setup for a Barry has his ass handed to him by Paul half marathonoff in Limerick on the bank Holiday weekend.................

Fixed that for you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Ha ha Kate!

OOnegative wrote:
    Fixed that for you!!

As time passes I realise it's less and less likely I'll be doing anything spectacular in the first half of next year. Just need to get back to consistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Fixed that for you!!
    As time passes I realise it's less and less likely I'll be doing anything spectacular in the first half of next year. Just need to get back to consistency.

Such a pair of sandbaggers!

Such a pair of sandbaggers!

I wish I could sandbag. I'm just crocked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Stay positive. I was looking back at my training for for this year particularly when I was injured and remembering how I felt the year would go for me at the time. Its surprising how quickly things come together even when you don't think you are in the best place.

Monday 16.12.19

8.35 miles GA@8.23min/miles in 70mins

One of those time to fckin cop yourself on runs!! Up towards the harbour and out to Kijkduin via the running paths. Loads out running this morning.

Tuesday 17.12.19

7.55 miles GA@8.23min/miles in 63mins 18secs

Pre work run, will have to optimise time heading into New Year and getting out before work is something that will have to become the norm. Up to the promenade and few miles in around Ooostduinpark and back home.

Wednesday 18.12.19

Rest Day, crazy day delivering the mail:mad::mad::mad:.

Thursday 19.12.19

8.25 miles GA with last Steady@8.12min/miles in 67mins 43secs

Another pre work run out to Kijkduin via Laan Van Meerdervoort and back home with wind at my back through the dunes. Lovely run.

Friday 20.12.19

10.10 miles GA@8.21min/miles in 1hr 24mins 24secs

Positively balmy 13 degress out running this, it was teeming rain but that didn't cool things down. Out around Ockenburgh and back home through Kijkduin and the dunes, another hugely enjoyable trot.

Saturday 21.12.19

6.30 miles GA@8.20min/miles in 52mins 30secs

Groggy run this afternoon, had few drinks night before but nothing major but felt the effects all day till i done this. Mist lifted on the run as always, its beginning to look a lot like Christmas!!!

Sunday 22.12.19

Rest Day, Disney on Ice in Utrecht.

40.55 miles and a bit more dedication and cop on this week. I'll be up the walls Monday and Tuesday of next week delivering mail but hope to add another 5 miles to this weeks total. Happy with the week even though its nothing spectacular, been very lazy post Amsterdam Half and its starting to show:mad::mad::mad:.

2019 Review.

January-March:

I entered 2019 with gusto and January's months mileage reflected as much, i kept the runs on the easy easy side and enjoyed every bit. I kept speed work and anything faster to a minimum and Steady pace was the fastest i ran building the base. My first race of the year was the Kort Puinduinrun in Kijkduin, a short but challenging race over hills and flights of steep stairs. Long story short, first ever podium coming 2nd!! After this, the months of February and March were a bust due to illness save from a week of enjoyable tourist runs in Milan in late February.

April-June:

First race of any kind of anger took place in April with the Zier Lenteloop 5k where i ran a surprising at the time 18.41. Just 6 days later on a tropical Monday morning in Aarlanderveen i ran the 55th edition of the Drie Molenloop 6.5k and came home in a surprising 3rd place after going out way to hard and having to hold on for nigh on 3 miles:eek:. No more racing then for near a month until The Royal 10 5k, one of the bigger races in Den Haag. The training showed its effects here where i ran an 11 second in 18.14. Onto June where i ran a 2nd place at the ARAMCO Beach Run 5k in 27 degree heat at 10am in the morning!!

July-September:

A Cooper Test 1st place at beginning of July before heading home t Ireland for 10 days, where i ran a very controlled 10k PB of 38.24 at the South Dublin 10k in Grange Castle. Onto the mountainous Sliabh Bawn 10k in Co Roscommon the Saturday after where i won my first ever race in 42.05, delighted to do this and celebrate the moment after with my missus. From there on it it was head down with all roads leading to the Amsterdam Half.

October-December:

On a wonderful afternoon in late October i ran the race of my life so far, my Amsterdam Half experience to this day fills me with pride and happiness!! A 1.22.38 exceeded my expectations by two minutes if i'm honest, and to have a great friend like skyblue46 to share that experince with made it all the more memorable. I sometimes fall asleep at night reliving those last 4 miles where i took the handbrake off and went for broke(sad but hey!!). A few weeks of excess celebrations and the last goal of the year was achieved at the Klaverbladloop 5k in Zoetermeer running 17.57 for a new 5k PB. Laziness took over since!!

In review its been the best year of my running life so far, a race win and 3 other podiums, results as soft as they maybe, cannot be taken away from me:D:D:D:D. The following PB's were achieved:

5K - 18.25 to 17.57.
    10k - 38.46 to 38.24.
    Half Marathon - 1.26.11 to 1.22.38.

I'm heading into 2020 in the best shape i've ever been in for the start of a new running year and pray it will be half as kind to me as this year has. To those who follow this log and the one i retired earlier in the year, i wish you all a very Merry Christmas, thank you one and all for your comments and contributions this past 12 months. Its hugely hugely appreciated, and thank you for taking the time and effort in doing so. I hope Santa brings you all an injury free 2020 and loads of new PB's. Thanks folks.

Barry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Lovely to be able to look back on your year with such happiness and pride. I hope 2020 is just as successful for you.

Happy Christmas Barry :D

Lovely to be able to look back on your year with such happiness and pride. I hope 2020 is just as successful for you.

Happy Christmas Barry :D

Thanks Kate, very Happy Christmas to you to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

What an amazing year! Congrats on all of it. You put in the work and reaped the rewards.... Happy Christmas, I hope 2020 is equally as successful for you on every front.

ariana` wrote: »
    What an amazing year! Congrats on all of it. You put in the work and reaped the rewards.... Happy Christmas, I hope 2021 is equally as successful for you on every front.

Thanks E, Happy Christmas to you and yours to. Get 2020 out of the way first before 2021 comes into mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Merry Christmas B! Fantastic running year indeed, got better and better!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Thanks E, Happy Christmas to you and yours to. Get 2020 out of the way first before 2021 comes into mind.

Ooops always getting ahead of myself!

Merry Christmas B! Fantastic running year indeed, got better and better!

Same to you and the family M, thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Rocky Seven

Onto the mountainous Sliabh Bawn 10k in Co Roscommon the Saturday after where i won my first ever race in 42.05, delighted to do this and celebrate the moment after with Anto From there on it it was head down with all roads leading to the Amsterdam Half..
    Happy Christmas pal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Great review there B. Thanks for all the support on here. Happy Christmas to you and yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

What an amazing year :D

Merry Christmas to you too!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Cracking year B - great to see. The Amsterdam Half stands out as such a great run - one that you've every right to be so proud of. Happy Christmas to you and your family!

Great year man. Podiums and pbs. Couldn't ask for more. Have a great Christmas with the family.

Great year man. Podiums and pbs. Couldn't ask for more. Have a great Christmas with the family.

Cheers P, same to you and your crew, have a good one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Good man Barry - Remember the things that you done that got you to where you are now, they obviously work for you - you dont need to change a ton to improve even more in 2020. Dont chase it, it'll come.

Have a great Christmas!

Good man Barry - Remember the things that you done that got you to where you are now, they obviously work for you - you dont need to change a ton to improve even more in 2020. Dont chase it, it'll come.

Have a great Christmas!

Thanks Alan, that means a lot coming from yourself. Hope all the King’s have a great Christmas to, hopefully see you next May at a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

What a superb year you've had with running, and really well deserved! This is a great log to follow, and you give so much support to everyone on here. Hope you have a lovely Christmas and New Year's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

What a great year. Happy Christmas and all the best for 2020 Barry

Advertisement