Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

thesultan wrote: »
    ;)
    Have you a link?

If you Google, Shane Enright GAA Hour. It pops up straight away. Also just searching for Shane Enright on spotify brings it up as number 1.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/6CrX9EqK5aRuXmljrKwfEb?si=SgaKYUOyQkO_oQovF32_ZQ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

U20 manager Declan O Sullivan has confirmed his management team with Niall Mahoney (Spa) joining as coach,Daniel Murphy (Scartaglin) will head up the S&C,Sean Óg Ciarbhudain (Cordal) stays on from Sugrue's team as Goalkeeping Coach & Mikey Geaney (Dingle) will look after video analysis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭wonga77

Good young team there, nice to see a few different faces in

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

Picking an u20 squad must be tough considering they couldn’t possibly have seen many of them playing in 2020. Will it be more or less the minor teams of 2018/2019?

• Advertisement

As much as I obviously love what Galvin did, I'm not sure this would be a good move. He literally only said a couple of weeks ago that commitment issues due to distance was part of his reason to step away from Wexford (he's living in Mayo). I dunno, there's surely a man with more experience as a defence coach.

https://twitter.com/ExaminerSport/status/1352661055197990920?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Marty1983

Listen to the podcast of his interview with Tony Leen a few weeks ago. Galvin bleeds kerry folks. Being a coach would be better for commitment purposes than a manager right now, he would certainly bring a bit of steel to the changing room that we are obviously missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

dobman88 wrote: »
    As much as I obviously love what Galvin did, I'm not sure this would be a good move. He literally only said a couple of weeks ago that commitment issues due to distance was part of his reason to step away from Wexford (he's living in Mayo). I dunno, there's surely a man with more experience as a defence coach.

Madness. Has shown nothing from a coaching perspective to warrant being considered.Was never an out and out defender, was a savage worker and hard man. We have Seamus Moynihan and Mark O Se here in the county if we are looking for former generational defenders worth their salt.
    Not a guy that people warm too easily either and couldn’t see him clicking with Peter Keane personality wise.
    The distance thing was only an excuse and I assume he’d be in Kerry regularly visiting family anyway. Really hope this doesn’t happen.

Marty1983 wrote: »
    Listen to the podcast of his interview with Tony Leen a few weeks ago. Galvin bleeds kerry folks. Being a coach would be better for commitment purposes than a manager right now, he would certainly bring a bit of steel to the changing room that we are obviously missing.

I listened to the podcast an hour after it released on spotify. He does indeed bleed Kerry and his playing career is among the best ever for the county but I honestly don't think this would be a good move for Kerry at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,209 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Forge83 wrote: »
    Madness. Has shown nothing from a coaching perspective to warrant being considered.Was never an out and out defender, was a savage worker and hard man. We have Seamus Moynihan and Mark O Se here in the county if we are looking for former generational defenders worth their salt.
    Not a guy that people warm too easily either and couldn’t see him clicking with Peter Keane personality wise.
    The distance thing was only an excuse and I assume he’d be in Kerry regularly visiting family anyway. Really hope this doesn’t happen.

I am not sure. I never presume who is and is not a good coach. Players becoming coaches would often surprise you. We need some of that generation of players to get involved. Thomas o Se, Gooch, Donoghy etc are unlikely to move from TV roles money is too good.

A players being an attacker or a defender will not necessarily make him a great coach in that area. Paid so Se and Eamon Fitzmaurice both defenders as coach managers never had strong defensive set up's. Mick O Dwyer a corner forward always had a strong defence structure in his team's.

Anyway best form of defence is attack something in Kerry that is slipping away at present

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

I am not sure. I never presume who is and is not a good coach. Players becoming coaches would often surprise you. We need some of that generation of players to get involved. Thomas o Se, Gooch, Donoghy etc are unlikely to move from TV roles money is too good.

A players being an attacker or a defender will not necessarily make him a great coach in that area. Paid so Se and Eamon Fitzmaurice both defenders as coach managers never had strong defensive set up's. Mick O Dwyer a corner forward always had a strong defence structure in his team's.

Anyway best form of defence is attack something in Kerry that is slipping away at present

Tomas manages the Glanmire football team in Cork and Star is part of the Armagh backroom team.....I think its less about the "tv money" and about them wanting to forge their own path or PK simply not asking them.

Also, Micko spent most of his kerry career in the half back line...he only went into the forward line after recovering from a broken leg...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Galvin would be inside my top 5 favourite Kerry players that I have seen play, however I’d be skeptical about him being a good coach due to his personality & don’t really see any track record to dispel this.

He’s a bit of a Roy Keane figure and o could see him potentially falling out with people

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭fire_man

Anyone know if there is any Gaa pitches open in Tralee at the moment?Would like to do some running during lockdown

fire_man wrote: »
    Anyone know if there is any Gaa pitches open in Tralee at the moment?Would like to do some running during lockdown

Dont need a GAA pitch to do some running. And they'd likely be in pretty poor condition with the current weather of rain and cold snaps.

Pitches are closed as per GAA and govt guidelines but some clubs have kept walking tracks open for members if that suits. Best thing to do would be contact your club and ask them.

Loads of open green space in Tralee for running if you need to run on grass though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Do the canal run from Tralee to blennerville and on to cockleshell or else try banna as all pitches will be closed

Id stay well off the pitches too this time of the year. Even at that i assume most pitches around Tralee are for members only.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭fire_man

Thanks guys. Pitches would be fair wet after recent weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭conor05

Out to Banna or Ballyheigue for a morning run and a swim after will fairly kick start you for the day!

You'd see a lot of the local hurlers running on Banna Beach

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

conor05 wrote: »
    Out to Banna or Ballyheigue for a morning run and a swim after will fairly kick start you for the day!

You'd see a lot of the local hurlers running on Banna Beach

Neither of those places within 5km from Tralee though.

Seems crokes will be playing senior hurling and hoping to have a junior team also. Fantastic to see and hopefully progresses the game around Killarney

https://www.radiokerry.ie/crokes-make-step-county-senior-hurling-championship/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭cms88

Diaemuid Lyng is joining Parnells this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Seems crokes will be playing senior hurling and hoping to have a junior team also. Fantastic to see and hopefully progresses the game around Killarney

https://www.radiokerry.ie/crokes-make-step-county-senior-hurling-championship/

Parnell's have shown an interest in playing in the North Kerry Senior competitions

Its a big step up for both clubs, wonder will Kilgravan look to play in the Division One of the county league this year?

Parnell's have shown an interest in playing in the North Kerry Senior competitions

Its a big step up for both clubs, wonder will Kilgravan look to play in the Division One of the county league this year?

Parnells looking to be having a good go at the Intermediate this year. Ian Brick is on board as well.

Corkes would want to be playing in Div 1 if they are going to move up. Kilgarvin as well if they're looking to push on.

I always felt that was the problem with Stacks in the end. They never seemed to want to push on from Junior. Parnells being a solid Intermediate team and Crokes senior could help with getting new players to join them as well.

Aislinn Desmond named ladies captain. Not a bad few days for the Rathmore club. 2 hardy, consistent players leading the county football teams this year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭conor05

cms88 wrote: »
    Parnells looking to be having a good go at the Intermediate this year. Ian Brick is on board as well.

Corkes would want to be playing in Div 1 if they are going to move up. Kilgarvin as well if they're looking to push on.

I always felt that was the problem with Stacks in the end. They never seemed to want to push on from Junior. Parnells being a solid Intermediate team and Crokes senior could help with getting new players to join them as well.

Crokes winning the Intermediate was a big boost and fair play to them for showing ambition and try mixing it with the senior hurling strongholds in North Kerry.

They will hold their own I feel against a few of them.

Parnells have Ian Brick from Kilmoyley as manager and Gizzy Lyng former Wexford hurling Captain is as a player. A lot of good young hurlers with Parnells now.

A 10 team Kerry SHC in a few years would be great as really now at the minute it is a North Kerry SHC.

Stacks ended up as a social hurling club really in the end, lads in their 30s and 40s just tipping away at junior level happy with it and died out in the end really.

Kerry hurling is on the up and up very year, great to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭plumber77

Ballyseedy Woods on thr outskirts of Tralee is a perfect spot for getting a run in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

No intercounty training until end of Feb at earliest..Very hard for any of the new recruits to make an impression

Radio Kerry confirmed today that Galvin spoke to Peter Keane about becoming a coach with the senior team but wont be joining up due to work and travel commitments as suspected.

A club job in Mayo might suit him if he's looking to get into coaching before taking on a county role.

• Advertisement

Tadhg Flynn named as the new minor hurling manager.

He's a man who of one reason or another never had the career his talent deserved. For a keeper he had some bad luck with injury. Also tended to be in the right place at the wrong time. In his time playing with Causeway they got to four county finals, he had left when they got to the 08 final, the three he played in they lost and he was injured when they finally won it. Same with Kerry played in 2014 when they lost the Christy Ring final, gets injured for 2015 when they win it and there was even another Causeway keeper who played.

Advertisement