Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭cms88

conor05 wrote: »
    Club hurling in Kerry needs to get faster and stronger at club level from Minor, Under 20 and at Senior level for Kerry to play at Liam McCarthy level.

While Kerry itself is surrounded by Clare, Limerick and Cork the hurling clubs in North Kerry are a good distance from hurling areas in these counties.

It can work with the right plan in place but it will take a big effort and commitment from all involved, a lot of these good hurlers are good footballers with their clubs too don't forget

This is true actually. I know there's a West Limerick league and championship in hurling but is there in West Clare?

The South Kerry teams in way are actually better placed being not too far from Duhallow. Crokes played in it lat year and Kilgarvin have in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

conor05 wrote: »
    Club hurling in Kerry needs to get faster and stronger at club level from Minor, Under 20 and at Senior level for Kerry to play at Liam McCarthy level.

While Kerry itself is surrounded by Clare, Limerick and Cork the hurling clubs in North Kerry are a good distance from hurling areas in these counties.

It can work with the right plan in place but it will take a big effort and commitment from all involved, a lot of these good hurlers are good footballers with their clubs too don't forget

u may be right bout Clare and Cork.. but for Limerick clubs... an hour would make it to Patrickswell Adare Croom etc it would take an hour and a half to get to Kilgarvan from Kilmoyley or ballyduff..

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭KIB4Life

cms88 wrote: »
    This is true actually. I know there's a West Limerick league and championship in hurling but is there in West Clare?

The South Kerry teams in way are actually better placed being not too far from Duhallow. Crokes played in it lat year and Kilgarvin have in the past

West Clare is all Football only clubs, there are no hurling teams in West Clare. Clare is seen as a hurling county but it’s pretty much an even split between hurling and football.There are about 7 or 8 dual clubs in Clare, all the rest are either football or hurling only clubs. The county is split Ennis been the middle of the county, say from west of Ennis there are only about 4 or 5 hurling Clubs, only 3 of these are hurling only clubs. The rest of West Of Ennis is football. While East of Ennis is the hurling area of Clare, there only about 4 or 5 areas here that play football, which would all be dual clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Was talking to one of the Crokes lads last year about playing in the Duhallow league and he said even though the results weren't great, it was brilliant in terms of development especially the younger lads. You'd have to think that it was a factor in their intermediate win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,198 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The West Limerick championship is only Junior B really now. Junior A, intermediate and senior championship are all all county. There is also an all county league. These all take precedence over West Limerick's other leagues and championship's and often matches are cancelled at the last minutes. Some of these WL championships and leagues never get completed.

You be better off arranging friendlies

Slava Ukrainii

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Was talking to one of the Crokes lads last year about playing in the Duhallow league and he said even though the results weren't great, it was brilliant in terms of development especially the younger lads. You'd have to think that it was a factor in their intermediate win.

It shsouldn't be about the results etc, unless it's an ongoing thing of getting big beatings, if teams can be competitive against teams in Duhallow etc it will make the difference in the long run.

I it a bad thing? Seems to me if he don't get his way he'll just walk out. Clearly seems to want to be the Kerry manager just without any of the responsibility that goes with it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

I it a bad thing? Seems to me if he don't get his way he'll just walk out. Clearly seems to want to be the Kerry manager just without any of the responsibility that goes with it

Could you elaborate on that? I havent heard anything like you've posted.

I think a man with his expertise is well within his rights to have certain demands and I'd go so far as to say we would have won the drawn game last year had he been on board. Defensively, we are still a shambles.

dobman88 wrote: »

I think a man with his expertise is well within his rights to have certain demands and I'd go so far as to say we would have won the drawn game last year had he been on board. Defensively, we are still a shambles.

he was on board for drawn game... it was earlier this year (March i think) he was sacked

• Advertisement

dobman88 wrote: »

If you what people have said is true he wants to have a say in how the team is picked etc, and apparently wants a big say in it, but doesn't want to take the criticisms if they don't work. Yes he can have demeands but if those demands are to pick the team when he's a couch he has to take the good with the bad.

Also he was on broad for all of 2019, it was 2020 he wasn't

If you what people have said is true he wants to have a say in how the team is picked etc, and apparently wants a big say in it, but doesn't want to take the criticisms if they don't work. Yes he can have demeands but if those demands are to pick the team when he's a couch he has to take the good with the bad.

Also he was on broad for all of 2019, it was 2020 he wasn't

That's fair enough. I'd be of the mind the manager picks the team so if he was undermining that, it was probably best for him to be let go. Disappointing that a compromise couldnt have happened.

Also, thought he was gone for longer than that. Been a very long year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Would any kerry poster know how many kerry managers have won the all ire without any unsucessful manager in between .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

It would be handy enough count the kerry managers that didn't win a senior title

Would any kerry poster know how many kerry managers have won the all ire without any unsucessful manager in between .

List of managers back to 1965

J. Brosnan (1965–68) No
    J. Lyne (1968–71) Yes
    J. Keohane (1971–72) No
    J. Culloty (1972–75) No
    M. O'Dwyer (1975–89) Yes
    M. O'Sullivan (1989–92) No
    D. Moran (1992–95) No
    P. Ó Sé (1995–03) Yes
    J. O'Connor (2003–06) Yes
    P. O'Shea (2006–08) Yes
    J. O'Connor (2008–12) Yes
    É. Fitzmaurice (2012–18) Yes
    P. Keane (2018–) No

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Marty1983

Was involved with the under 20's two years ago and he won a south kerry championship with his club last year, that is a decent enough pedigree for me.

It shsouldn't be about the results etc, unless it's an ongoing thing of getting big beatings, if teams can be competitive against teams in Duhallow etc it will make the difference in the long run.

It was clear that that the results weren't the focus - I remember him saying that they were competitive in the first half but were running out of steam in the second hand of the games and conceding goals late on, so the scorelines got away from them. The way he was talking it seemed like Crokes took a huge amount out it and I'd be shocked if they hadn't been planning on entering it again this year, if not for COVID.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,198 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    List of managers back to 1965

J. Brosnan (1965–68) No
    J. Lyne (1968–71) Yes
    J. Keohane (1971–72) No
    J. Culloty (1972–75) No
    M. O'Dwyer (1975–89) Yes
    M. O'Sullivan (1989–92) No
    D. Moran (1992–95) No
    P. Ó Sé (1995–03) Yes
    J. O'Connor (2003–06) Yes
    P. O'Shea (2006–08) Yes
    J. O'Connor (2008–12) Yes
    É. Fitzmaurice (2012–18) Yes
    P. Keane (2018–) Not yet hopefully

Corrected that for you

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

I see Jonathan Lyne has retired.

I believe another defender will be hanging up the boots, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

Same As wrote: »
    I see Jonathan Lyne has retired.

I believe another defender will be hanging up the boots, too.

Surely it will be Shane Enright....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Two 30 year olds, meanwhile Dublin have 10 players over 30 playing, many of them starring.

We'll probably see at least 2/3 more

While i haven't myelf, but has there ever been a luckier player to win an Al-Ireland? Or be on a county panel for as long as him?

Imo there was better than him around for the last 10 years. He also seemed to get a brake when he made a mistake, whereas Kealy would be crucified.

That being said no too many can say they won an All-Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭thesultan

mystic86 wrote: »
    Two 30 year olds, meanwhile Dublin have 10 players over 30 playing, many of them starring.
    I always thought how are they getting better early thirties when they were getting destroyed mud twenties..

thesultan wrote: »
    I always thought how are they getting better early thirties when they were getting destroyed mud twenties..

If winning an all Ireland and in Kelly's case, keeping a clean sheet in Siegerson, Munster and All Ireland finals in the same year, in your mid twenties is getting destroyed, I'd take it in a heart beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭munster87

While i haven't myelf, but has there ever been a luckier player to win an Al-Ireland? Or be on a county panel for as long as him?

Imo there was better than him around for the last 10 years. He also seemed to get a brake when he made a mistake, whereas Kealy would be crucified.

That being said no too many can say they won an All-Ireland

Darren Daly has 6 All Ireland’s. Obviously had been good enough to be on the dubs panel for a long time which is an achievement but I’d say he did as much as Kelly if not less for majority of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

munster87 wrote: »
    Darren Daly has 6 All Ireland’s. Obviously had been good enough to be on the dubs panel for a long time which is an achievement but I’d say he did as much as Kelly if not less for majority of them

Mr reliable when he came on near the end of games, could have easily done the job from the start too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭munster87

EICVD wrote: »
    Mr reliable when he came on near the end of games, could have easily done the job from the start too

Could have, if he had been given the chance.

• Advertisement

Shane Enright has also announced his retirement.

Advertisement