Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭pmurphy00

Barry o’mahoney was midfield for Kerry minor footballers in 2017... he also made minor team of the year that year... Donal Sullivan played with Kerry in McGrath cup at start of year I think... good hurler as well.. he got man of the match in U21B final in Navan last year.... game was played before Kerry-Meath Super8’s game...

On another note Mark O’Connor says he would have been available to Kerry had they beaten Cork... personally I would have preferred if he said nothing at all

i think the Mark O'Connor thing was more him saying "i was in quarantine"
    Rather than anything else.

I had heard a good few murmurings as to where was he. He probably wanted to clear that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

All level at HT in ET.

Kerry have the wind for the final 10mins.

So close.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

3 point win for Kerry.
    Well deserved especially from their extra time performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

thats a super super win by Kerry... for so much of the game a victory looked so unlikely... fair play to them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭wonga77

I was wondering if the ref forgot his whistle there at the end, 3 minutes over in what was 10 minutes of extra time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭cms88

https://www.balls.ie/hurling/hurling-tralee-killarney-south-kerry-455764

This makes for interesting reading.

I have to say i cringed when i seen the likes of Leona Twiss and others in the county board the last few weeks going on about the hurlers, when normally they couldn't give a **** about them.

On the topic if hurling is to kick on at county level players from South Kerry will have to be looked at. Are they good enough? Who know. But the only why we'll know is if they're actually looked at.

In the 90s when Kerry were playing Div 1 of the league some of the teams main player were from South Kerry and at underge the players seem to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

cms88 wrote: »
    https://www.balls.ie/hurling/hurling-tralee-killarney-south-kerry-455764

This makes for interesting reading.

I have to say i cringed when i seen the likes of Leona Twiss and others in the county board the last few weeks going on about the hurlers, when normally they couldn't give a **** about them.

On the topic if hurling is to kick on at county level players from South Kerry will have to be looked at. Are they good enough? Who know. But the only why we'll know is if they're actually looked at.

In the 90s when Kerry were playing Div 1 of the league some of the teams main player were from South Kerry and at underge the players seem to be there.

We need a senior South Kerry divisional team, these lads will never improve unless they step up to play in the senior championship and county league.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭conor05

We need a senior South Kerry divisional team, these lads will never improve unless they step up to play in the senior championship and county league.

Are Dr Crokes not been blocked by the Kerry County board at the minute from trying to enter the Kerry SHC for 2021?

They are taking their case to Croke Park.

conor05 wrote: »
    Are Dr Crokes not been blocked by the Kerry County board at the minute from trying to enter the Kerry SHC for 2021?

How come?

First I heard of this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

They would get hockied in a senior championship. Absolute correct decision if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

There has been no meeting yet to decide next years fixtures and teams, won't happen for another couple of months.

Kilgarvan were the only team that wanted to step up play in Div 1 last year so that would probably where Dr Crokes will want to start.

Forge83 wrote: »
    They would get hockied in a senior championship. Absolute correct decision if true.

No it wouldn;t be. A bit like the CB excuse for that entering the Munster minor championship pre Covid. People will say it's too soon etc but there's no guarantee they'll get another chance to go up.

When Kilgarvin were going well in the late 2000s they put off going up to senior and it never happened for them in the end.

I agree but as i've said untill they can also play intermediate it's not going to work.

Something both North and South Kerry clubs should be looking at is playing in Cork or Limerick divisional leagues. Crokes did it this year and Kilgarvin have in the past. They're playing eachother far too much and it is holding them back imo.

No it wouldn;t be. A bit like the CB excuse for that entering the Munster minor championship pre Covid. People will say it's too soon etc but there's no guarantee they'll get another chance to go up.

When Kilgarvin were going well in the late 2000s they put off going up to senior and it never happened for them in the end.

Crokes don’t yet have a structure to be able to produce new players year on year to sustain a team playing at senior level. A couple of injuries to their better players and its 20/30 point beatings for them every game. The fun don’t be long going out of it then and players will drop off and young fellas will have even less interest. They did great this year and need to build on that, not jump off a cliff with the delusion they can compete at senior championship level.
    Tralee Parnells are better placed to make the jump to senior in the next couple of years in my opinion as they look to be producing players every year.
    I have said before on here that a divisional team made up of the best players from non senior clubs should play senior championship.

I agree but as i've said untill they can also play intermediate it's not going to work.

Something both North and South Kerry clubs should be looking at is playing in Cork or Limerick divisional leagues. Crokes did it this year and Kilgarvin have in the past. They're playing eachother far too much and it is holding them back imo.

100%. Too many Kerry competitions between North Kerry and County leagues and champs with same teams.
    North Kerry teams should be playing in Limerick leagues if possible with East Kerry teams playing in Cork/Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,200 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

100%. Too many Kerry competitions between North Kerry and County leagues and champs with same teams.
    North Kerry teams should be playing in Limerick leagues if possible with East Kerry teams playing in Cork/Limerick.

I doubt if other counties would allow outside teams in whole sale. I fairly familiar with Limerick set up. It has an all county league structure of 5 divisions in n hurling. Div 4 and 5 would be most junior B teams and second teams from bigger clubs. Divisional competition play third or fourth fiddle to county competitions and often are never completed. As well trying to get fixtures completed in this scenario where club are involved in multiple competitions us hard add in different structures in Limerick/Kerry or Cork/Kerry may not be the answer.

Arranging weekend or special invitational competitions may be a better way to do it. Biggest issue I see getting under age structures right. All county structures with fairly good divisions of equally matched teams moving team up and down according to how they went in a previous age group is ideal but hard to manage.

Setting up a proper championship structure with Senior, Intermediate and Junior all county sections with 8+ teams per section and a team promoted and relegated as per preformance .

Limerick has done some Novel adaptation over the last 10 years. They split Intermediate into premier intermediate with 8 teams and Intermediate with two groups of 6. Just in the last 2 years they split senior into senior A and B sections with 6 teams each. Senior A has 8 teams going to playoffs and senior B has 2 teams going to playoffs.

There is a website ran by a decent club that shows results and what happens in games across the county. It gives a year on year picture for last 10 years.

http://www.milford.limerick.gaa.ie/limerick-club-results

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

There was the Munster Hurling League that Kilmoyley managed to win a number of years ago, but that would seem to have fallen by the wayside. As suggested, why not have a divisional team that's officially called "South Kerry", but throws Kilgarvan, Kenmare, Crokes and Parnells players together, along with anyone else from St Pat's East Kerry and Dingle, who had a few players recently?

There was the Munster Hurling League that Kilmoyley managed to win a number of years ago, but that would seem to have fallen by the wayside. As suggested, why not have a divisional team that's officially called "South Kerry", but throws Kilgarvan, Kenmare, Crokes and Parnells players together, along with anyone else from St Pat's East Kerry and Dingle, who had a few players recently?

There was a West Munster League one summer maybe 6/7 years ago. But i think ome of the non Kerry clubs got the hump if they lot to one so then pulled out of it.

The South Kerry team from before did that and it just didn't work. Too many clubs spread too far apart. If it was me i would go along the lines of Kenmare and Kilgarvin as ''South Kerry'' Crokes and St. Pats as ''East Kerry'' and Parnells and Daugh. The biggest issue before was teams being too far away and havinf little or no training.

I could be wrong but did South Kerry play in the Intermediate championship one year? Would probally have been Stacks, St. Pats and maybe Laune Rangers?

Division One of the hurling county league should be two groups , four teams in one group and five in the other if Kilgravan or any other club wants to step up and play in it. Division Two is split into two groups and it works well so why not split Division One, it would also help the dual clubs out.

Maybe try and tie the County League and the North Kerry League together, maybe have a rule that if you play a club in the North Kerry League then you cant play them in the County League and get one or two rounds of the County league played in Austin Stack Park especially at the start of the season when pitches aren't great, have double headers.

We are playing each other away too much and its only holding club hurling back, this year the senior championship was one of the best in recent years imo because teams hadn't played other that often due to the lockdown.

There has been times in the past where two clubs would have played each other four times in a year in the NK league/Championship, County league and the County championship, where is the benefit of that??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

Declan O Sullivan looks to be the new man in charge of the U20s.

Same As wrote: »
    Declan O Sullivan looks to be the new man in charge of the U20s.

best of luck to him.... not having a dig at the guy but i hope that management teams for Kerry teams arent going to b like second coming for our former players and will be chosen based on what the person has achieved as a manager for his club county etc...

Division One of the hurling county league should be two groups , four teams in one group and five in the other if Kilgravan or any other club wants to step up and play in it. Division Two is split into two groups and it works well so why not split Division One, it would also help the dual clubs out.

Maybe try and tie the County League and the North Kerry League together, maybe have a rule that if you play a club in the North Kerry League then you cant play them in the County League and get one or two rounds of the County league played in Austin Stack Park especially at the start of the season when pitches aren't great, have double headers.

We are playing each other away too much and its only holding club hurling back, this year the senior championship was one of the best in recent years imo because teams hadn't played other that often due to the lockdown.

There has been times in the past where two clubs would have played each other four times in a year in the NK league/Championship, County league and the County championship, where is the benefit of that??

scrap north kerry league.... better off playing challenge games against Limerick.. Cork or Clare opposition.... even better would be a league between the clubs.. was done before 20 years ago....

really hard to understand how Kerry hurling isnt operating at a higher level we literally have no excuses.. surrounded by hurling counties who are more than willing to offer games to clubs in Kerry and we have had many many former greats from those counties train our hurling clubs... in comparison to Antrim who are fairly isolated the mind boggles... and while the County Board maybe to blame for some of our issues... there was no official from the board inside the white lines last Sunday...

scrap north kerry league.... better off playing challenge games against Limerick.. Cork or Clare opposition.... even better would be a league between the clubs.. was done before 20 years ago....

really hard to understand how Kerry hurling isnt operating at a higher level we literally have no excuses.. surrounded by hurling counties who are more than willing to offer games to clubs in Kerry and we have had many many former greats from those counties train our hurling clubs... in comparison to Antrim who are fairly isolated the mind boggles... and while the County Board maybe to blame for some of our issues... there was no official from the board inside the white lines last Sunday...

Id be all for a well run Munster league competition, not a half arsed one like the last one, refs not showing up, clubs pulling out and just ended up with Kerry clubs playing Kerry clubs.
    The three counties was a great competition, the Munster league that Kilmoyley won was a great competition as well

In reality two North Kerry teams could play eachother twice in the North Kerry League, County League and County Championship and again in the North Kerry Championship that's seven times in the space of a few months!

It can be the same, but not to the same degree, for South Kerr teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

That's Garry McMahon's 1962 record against Roscommon overtaken then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Radio5

That's Garry McMahon's 1962 record against Roscommon overtaken then.

In a strange kind of way, I was very sad to see that record go.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭conor05

Club hurling in Kerry needs to get faster and stronger at club level from Minor, Under 20 and at Senior level for Kerry to play at Liam McCarthy level.

While Kerry itself is surrounded by Clare, Limerick and Cork the hurling clubs in North Kerry are a good distance from hurling areas in these counties.

It can work with the right plan in place but it will take a big effort and commitment from all involved, a lot of these good hurlers are good footballers with their clubs too don't forget

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Club hurling in Kerry needs to get faster and stronger at club level from Minor, Under 20 and at Senior level for Kerry to play at Liam McCarthy level.

While Kerry itself is surrounded by Clare, Limerick and Cork the hurling clubs in North Kerry are a good distance from hurling areas in these counties.

It can work with the right plan in place but it will take a big effort and commitment from all involved, a lot of these good hurlers are good footballers with their clubs too don't forget

I'd love to see Hurling gain a bit of a foothold, outside of the main clubs in North Kerry. I grew up one parish over from one of the staunchest hurling clubs in North Kerry and I never picked up a hurley. It was alien to us! Football or nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Big win for the minors tonight. 8th in a row and 50th overall. Wait to see who they play from Connacht in the semi final. Games fixed for mid January but if they will be played is anyones guess.

Advertisement