Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Have aer lingus taken over the city jet flights from Dublin to London city airport ????

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Have aer lingus taken over the city jet flights from Dublin to London city airport ????

Ages ago https://www.cityjet.com/news/aer-lingus-and-cityjet-join-forces-on-dublin-london-city-route/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

This Twitter account has better quality photos of the new livery than Aer Lingus themselves:
    https://twitter.com/MAS_Aviation/status/1086001762375483392

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Shamrockj

theguzman wrote: »
    Now just wait until that white gets dirty which it inevitably will, they have destroyed EI, it will effect the North American market big time as the American's often flew EI for to experience Irishness from the start of the trip. Whoever came up with this horrendous example of a livery should be fired.

Can you produce numbers of how many Americans booked Aer Lingus because of the livery? Otherwise you are just talking nonsense. Considering ei has actually done market research I doubt any American looks at liveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭arubex

Shamrockj wrote: »
    Considering ei has actually done market research I doubt any American looks at liveries.

The findings of their market research were exactly the opposite: the greentop livery was so effective that people only associated it with flying to Ireland. Hence the desire to switch away to something non-associative.

Liveries are important, Instone Airways revealed that in 1919 when they started flying around with their name across the lower surface of the wing. Otherwise a coat of yellow anti-corrosion paint and a doorside decal would be standard airline issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

I always wondered would it make sense to have the aer linhlgus name on the belly and maybe a shamrock on the roof.
    Emirates do the belly thing and it is great for anoraks like me as you can rcognise it in ground to air shots or zoom ins.
    With the shamrock on the roof, I think it is free advertising especially when you consider how many people use Google maps. There could be a "I didn't know aer lingus flew there" reaction but again maybe just me being a nerd.

Will really miss the green. Feel like it is an expensive own goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭HTCOne

MJohnston wrote: »
    I think it works for Air France though, because weirdly enough white is a very French colour, in terms of history.

Especially when the Germans show up.

I’ll get my coat......

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭sherology

I flew into Dublin last night and all were busy reskinning the check-in area. New font/icon/brand looks great there, on the app and website.

Do think the livery is pretty 'thin', and does little for brand recognition... They should tweak it before progressing. Tail is fine... More thought needed ahead of the wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 EI209

I'm sure I read in an article the other day that along with the new livery Aer Lingus hope to have a fleet of at least 80 aircraft on the next few years, I wonder if that might include a few more short haul aircraft or will it be all long haul? Maybe they'll look at getting some 320NEOs?
    I notice on Wikipedia (I know not always the beat source) it says they've 14 321NLRs on order and 9 A350s (Didn't actually think that was still happening). It'll be interesting to see if they order any more of the 321NLRs, I really think that is a great aircraft with flexibility it provides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

The original A350 order is almost certainly cancelled or at best, indefinitely deferred. However, with Aer Lingus in IAG, the order pool of aircraft is much larger and while most aircraft on IAG’s order book are accounted for, any aircraft can be reassigned quite easily within the group if required.

IAG also has considerable buying power and if Aer Lingus management believe the airline requires an A350 fleet, they’ll have to create and present the business case to IAG who would then go ahead and order the aircraft. This is how the A321LR was decided upon.

Speaking of future orders, I may have misheard but during the new livery announcement Aer Lingus said they’ll be adding a further two A330s next year in addition to the growing A321LR fleet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

IAG captial markets day last November had Aer Lingus showing a projected fleet of 16 A330 and 14 A321LR by 2030. I think they currently have ~50 aircraft, so thats an additional 13 airframes. (currently 13 A330 and 4 B757 going across the pond) The graphic for the future fleet has the additional 4 A333 as 'TBA', I assume they are mulling over sticking with ceo or going with neo.

Wikipedia hasnt removed the A350 order as officially it hasnt been cancelled. Those 9 orders were just added to the IAG order. Which according to the IAG brief in November are mostly going to Iberia. I even read an article about Iberia getting wifi on longhaul, it mentioned a number for the A350 which interestingly was 9 larger than the wikipedia note on the Iberia A350 order.

No mention at the time of a shorthaul order apart from "replacements will be sought as current leases expire"
    So dont expect a big order anytime soon. More like piecemeal replacement or small growth as IAG diverts A320 to them.
    IAG currently have an outstanding order for approx 100 A320. Vuelling have their large order already in so that 100 will be delivered to BA,Iberia or Aer Lingus. (I expect LEVEL to go for A321 to maximise cost efficiency)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

The original A350 order is almost certainly cancelled or at best, indefinitely deferred. However, with Aer Lingus in IAG, the order pool of aircraft is much larger and while most aircraft on IAG’s order book are accounted for, any aircraft can be reassigned quite easily within the group if required.

IAG also has considerable buying power and if Aer Lingus management believe the airline requires an A350 fleet, they’ll have to create and present the business case to IAG who would then go ahead and order the aircraft. This is how the A321LR was decided upon.

Speaking of future orders, I may have misheard but during the new livery announcement Aer Lingus said they’ll be adding a further two A330s next year in addition to the growing A321LR fleet.

Yup I heard 2 brand new A330s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭Conflats

Bussywussy wrote:
    Yup I heard 2 brand new A330s

I wonder is it expansion or for replacement of lax/ewr/daa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

Considering how busy TA has become I am not surprised at new planes. Have flown TA twice in the last few weeks, each time the plane has been full...this is supposedly the quiet time??

One thing DAA is going to have to sort out is immigration...the place is packed hot and extremely slow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Not one f**k is given about the article but Jesus H Christ........the stock image!!!!!!!!!! 😳🙄😉😝

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-6615735/Azealia-Banks-breaks-BANNED-Aer-Lingus-flights.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,234 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Not one f**k is given about the article but Jesus H Christ........the stock image!!!!!!!!!! 😳🙄😉ðŸ˜

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-6615735/Azealia-Banks-breaks-BANNED-Aer-Lingus-flights.html

Wow, takes the daily mail to have a stock photo from the 90's and not notice anything wrong with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Daily mail nuff said

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I never heard of her but she sounds like a class act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Comhrá

joeysoap wrote: »
    I never heard of her but she sounds like a class act.

Tubridy or Darcy might get her for an interview next weekend.

This is the same woman who sacrificed chickens in her apartment. Complete loon.

Anyway...

Anyone know when Aer Lingus added pre-recorded announcements on board? I flew with them last week on a busy Heathrow service and heard two recorded messages about stowing hand luggage. The usual welcome and safety demo were all manual as normal.

Great flights too, friendly staff, on time and relaxed. Both aircraft, EI-DEC and EI-DEG appeared in good condition, hope they move quickly on the mood lighting roll out though.

Not a big fan of the new cheese and tomato calzone, €5.50 for a claggy pasty that fit in the palm of my hand and was filled with flavoured play-doh. The cheese coleslaw wrap was much nicer but was kept so cold it was almost frozen in the middle. I’ll stick to the chicken and stuffing or the breakfast in future.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Anyway...

Anyone know when Aer Lingus added pre-recorded announcements on board? I flew with them last week on a busy Heathrow service and heard two recorded messages about stowing hand luggage. The usual welcome and safety demo were all manual as normal.

Great flights too, friendly staff, on time and relaxed. Both aircraft, EI-DEC and EI-DEG appeared in good condition, hope they move quickly on the mood lighting roll out though.

Not a big fan of the new cheese and tomato calzone, €5.50 for a claggy pasty that fit in the palm of my hand and was filled with flavoured play-doh. The cheese coleslaw wrap was much nicer but was kept so cold it was almost frozen in the middle. I’ll stick to the chicken and stuffing or the breakfast in future.

I’ve hear those prerecorded announcements ages ago wel over a year, it seems they’re rarely used and at the seniors discretion

Locker10a wrote: »

Anyway...

I’ve hear those prerecorded announcements ages ago wel over a year, it seems they’re rarely used and at the seniors discretion
    Ah fair enough, first time I'd ever noticed them. The second, much quieter flight, didn't bother so was wondering if it was new.

Probably their way of ensuring “guests” gets mentioned at every opportunity!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The english pre record has always been there.

The safety demo on the A319 was always prerecorded as it was a 3 crew aircraft not 4 or 5 like the 320/321

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Anyway...

Which brings the next question: both AL and RY are both supplied with sandwiches from Belfast. What happens in the event of a no deal Brexit. Chicken ( etc) will have to pass EU standards. I know Pure sandwiches are supplied from NI too but WH Smith use a Dublin company. (Can’t say about now but Drugstore at Belfast airport were supplied from Kerry, I know it’s gas, AL and RY supplied from Belfast and Belfast supplied from Kerry :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Chicken and stuffing gate v2?

I survived the first round about 5 years ago when chicken and stuffing was pulled and returned about 3 months later after inflight sales collapsed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,588 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Force majeure clause to exit the contract, change to an Irish supplier. Could cost a bit but can be sorted out relatively quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Chicken and stuffing gate v2?

I survived the first round about 5 years ago when chicken and stuffing was pulled and returned about 3 months later after inflight sales collapsed.

Are they the only decent thing on an Ei flight menu? Only thing I’ve ever enjoyed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Qprmeath wrote: »
    Are they the only decent thing on an Ei flight menu? Only thing I’ve ever enjoyed.

I like the rasher and sausage roll they have

• Advertisement

Qprmeath wrote: »
    The sausage and rasher roll with relish is quite nice, the ham and cheese toastie is pretty good too and the actual Irish breakfast is lovely on early morning flights. The java republic coffee is the best airline coffee I’ve ever had, much nicer than Ryanair’s Lavazza offering!

Everything else is pretty standard with some poor exceptions like the calzone and the Guinness slice. Wouldn’t touch that cheese wrap again either.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭sherology

Thanks for that link.

I like the liquid platinum business 'differentiation', and the colored head rest covers should brighten the cabin a bit more. Be nice if EI did this to the short haul fleet too (green seats/colored headrests)... Very bland cabin on entry.

As for the critique... Meh... It it what it is... I'm loving all of it except the front of wing livery... Lack of creativity here... But all done now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

So....did anyone see the new livery????:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jucylucy

Seems to be a glitch......the Aer Lingus fleet thread has switched to some sort of brexit/Airbus/sausage thing!!

Indeed, and I have done something about it

Havent been at airport sinc launch. Am going there this Sunday so hoping to snatch a glance at either of the 2 painted frames

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Seen both the A330 and A320 (got some pics of the A320) and its a nice livery in person, but too much white on the A330.

I think the general idea is quite nice but there's a tweak or two that in my opinion would turn it from an OK livery to a great livery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

I think there's more than one A320 at least flying it already - Unless my eyes were playing tricks, I saw two taking off while I was in Ballycoolin the other day.

Nijmegen wrote: »
    I think there's more than one A320 at least flying it already - Unless my eyes were playing tricks, I saw two taking off while I was in Ballycoolin the other day.

There are two getting painted in DUB (DVL & DVN) but I don't think either is out of the hanger yet. Happy to be corrected tho.

Edit: Both these aircraft are currently in the air. I don't know if they have new paint or the reg's I was given were incorrect, but this is the first flight since 16 Jan for EI-DVL, so it may well be painted.

Nijmegen wrote: »

Not sure on regs but my mate in EI told me that there were 2 more A320 due out of paintshop sometime this week. (ie 21st-25th)
    An A330 is coming back from maintenance this week also, she wasnt sure if it was getting painted as well though.

That will be the new ticklist for the OCD spotters, each reg in new livery!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭john boye

CVB and CVC both seem to be have been off for a couple of weeks too.

john boye wrote: »
    CVB and CVC both seem to be have been off for a couple of weeks too.

On another note and with fleet replacement in mind. 'VA has been painted and lets presume that 'VB and 'VC are also getting painted. That's the 3 oldest A320's in the fleet being amongst the first to be done. A good indication that they wont be going anywhere anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

How long would it take to paint an airframe from start to finish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

There are two getting painted in DUB (DVL & DVN) but I don't think either is out of the hanger yet. Happy to be corrected tho.

Edit: Both these aircraft are currently in the air. I don't know if they have new paint or the reg's I was given were incorrect, but this is the first flight since 16 Jan for EI-DVL, so it may well be painted.

DVL is definitely painted

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

About ten days depending on how they work it. Some parts are quite labour intensive and take time to complete (masking for example), other parts have to be sequenced to allow time for curing or drying and the final detail finishes, touch ups and tech marking can be time consuming but working it day and night for at least part of the input and a well organised, experienced paint bay could do it in ten days.

I was informed that the old EI livery took longer to paint due to the large blocks of green and white. And that the new livery is a quicker job as it’s majority single colour, is this true?

Tenger wrote: »
    I was informed that the old EI livery took longer to paint due to the large blocks of green and white. And that the new livery is a quicker job as it’s majority single colour, is this true?
    Don't see how, the paint is removed by a chemical and it literally slides off the airframe in sheets regardless of the colour.
    The only time you might see a problem is if it hasn't been properly stripped and prepped before the previous paint job or it wasn't fully stripped down before repainting because it might take a bit longer and an extra couple of attempts to remove previous layers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Don't see how,...

I guess the theory would be that the repaint would be quicker as there are fewer lines when most of the fuselage is a single colour but I don’t know.

Do you know on average how man days per year an aircraft is out of service for maintenance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Don't see how, the paint is removed by a chemical and it literally slides off the airframe in sheets regardless of the colour.
    The only time you might see a problem is if it hasn't been properly stripped and prepped before the previous paint job or it wasn't fully stripped down before repainting because it might take a bit longer and an extra couple of attempts to remove previous layers.

Some of those paint strippers are only a one shot in the lifetime of the aircraft.

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    I guess the theory would be that the repaint would be quicker as there are fewer lines when most of the fuselage is a single colour but I don’t know.

Do you know on average how man days per year an aircraft is out of service for maintenance?
    Ah, ok. I misread the post I replied to, I thought it was suggesting it would take longer to repaint because of the EI livery, apologies for that.
    Yes, the simpler the paint scheme the easier and quicker it would be to do. The stripping would be the same regardless of the old livery, but as said above the more extra details, colours, features, logos etc the more work would be needed to measure and position all these extra features correctly.
    The simplest scheme would be a single colour, base coat, clear coat. That's part of the reason why so many lease aircraft are all white.

kona wrote: »
    Some of those paint strippers are only a one shot in the lifetime of the aircraft.
    What do you mean...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Saw the 330 today for first time.

In and of itself it’s not a bad design. If you compare it to 90% of airlines it’s a decent design.
    The problem is that EI have previously had one of the best and most distinctive liveries (IMO) and as a result the new look is vastly inferior to the previous livery.

Seeing it there with a dozen craft in the classic green just highlights how much better the old livery was.

One thing that did stand out though - the “backwards” shamrock on the right hand side of tail fin almost looks drunk - it’s tilted too much IMO

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement