Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

circadian wrote: »
    If its not N95/FFP3 rated then you've just wasted cash.

Isn't N95 the US equivalent of FFP2 basically, and not FFP3?

Here's a good link that explains them all:

https://fastlifehacks.com/n95-vs-ffp/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Good chance that today will be the day.
    Guy being quarantined in a Dub hospital last night - recently landed from Singapore and showing symptoms.

Not scare mongering, just passing on info.
    It is inevitable that there will be case(s) here so maybe one will actually force protocols to be enacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Good chance that today will be the day.
    Guy being quarantined in a Dub hospital last night - recently landed from Singapore and showing symptoms.

Not scare mongering, just passing on info.
    It is inevitable that there will be case(s) here so maybe one will actually force protocols to be enacted.

Good to hear he was quarantined but hes not the person we need to worry about, its the likely asymptomatic person or persons who flew in from Italy last week.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Good to hear he was quarantined but hes not the person we need to worry about, its the likely asymptomatic person or persons who flew in from Italy last week.

Yeah probably- just passing on a bit of info.
    It is inevitable though so we will prob get cases originating from Italy and other locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

VinLieger wrote: »
    Good to hear he was quarantined but hes not the person we need to worry about, its the likely asymptomatic person or pyersons who flew in from Italy last week.

Yep because when these cases start to appear, we have an inadequate amount of icu beds according to Tom Ryan of St. James' Hospital, and will find it difficult to cope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

as far as I know, if the government declare an emergency, they can enact any temporary measures they deem necessary, but they have to pass a bill to declare an emergency first,

Italy actually declared a state of Emergency re Coronavirus on January 31st even though they only had 2/3 Cases then. But by doing that, it gave them the necessary powers to lockdown those towns last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Morning.
    Still alive today, but I feel the end is near!!!!

If you take a random sample of 1 person who died from this, thats 1/1 death rate = 100% !!!!!!

This is worse then captain Tripps, that only had a death rate of 99.9999% ...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Chinese neighbours had groceries delivered and they were left outside the door, bell rang and the deliver driver run away. Weird.

My groceries are left on the driveway and the van drives off, as the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

fritzelly wrote: »
    @hatrick
    Good question, guess declaring a pandemic overrules that
    But who's gonna stop a country closing their borders for a highly infectious and deadly disease, like feck the who

Statement from the World Health Organisation

'WHO says it no longer has a process to declare a pandemic, says old system with 6 phases is no longer being used' - Reuters

In other News - Builder Providers will no longer be calling a spade - 'a spade' due to new descriptions of digging implements being adopted - reason? well just because!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

khalessi wrote: »
    Yep because when these cases start to appear, we have an inadequate amount of icu beds according to Tom Ryan of St. James' Hospital, and will find it difficult to cope

How did they identify this person? Was it control measures from the inbound flight? or did he just come forward?
    A positive that he is in quarantine and being tested

• Advertisement

This is what we have been doing. Adding oat milk, noodles, pastas, frozen veg (we have some space luckily), black bags for waste, loo roll, box of latex gloves, hand soaps, nappies too as well as Vit C, paracetamol and Nurofen/Calpol for the wee lad if needed.

Would love anyone elses suggestions, a lot of those 'survival' lists get intense.... Like yourself its all stuff we will use eventually anyway.

Just do an extra week's shop and some. As I am so isolated and remote I have stocks for a couple of months here. Flour and dried yeast/baking soda, pasta, rice, tinned meat, as protein is needed, dried milk, sugar, oats, Just all you use normally. Oh and chocolate etc; no need to feel deprived. Potatoes..

And if you have pets, plenty of food for them.

laurah591 wrote: »
    How did they identify this person? Was it control measures from the inbound flight? or did he just come forward?
    A positive that he is in quarantine and being tested

No idea how person was identified, just know that they were brought to sealed off area last night/late yesterday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Journal have gathered the available information from the HSE and government... I have to say I'm not reassured much.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-preparations-coronavirus-explainer-5019550-Feb2020/

If it's a small outbreak we can cope. Anything more than that they don't want to think about right now... "forced quarantine" or cordoning off towns as has been done in Italy is not something they seem prepared for \ prepared to consider.

I find it strange they're considering calling off the Ireland v Italy rugby match rather than just playing it here but stopping flights from Italy to the game \ closing away section.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Good to see the WHO addressing the important points - nasty stereotypes!!!

https://twitter.com/WHO/status/1232070253544382466?s=20

Good to see the WHO addressing the important points - nasty stereotypes!!!

Easier to virtue signal than to do the one thing only your organisation can do, declare a pandemic when one appears!

Or have I referenced a nasty stereotype about bureaucrats???

I don’t get why the WHO are so blatantly changing the terms of how the new confirmed cases are counted. Just those who have developed pneumonia?

What happens if a crazy amount of people develop pneumonia tomorrow, do they move the goalposts again to make the numbers look good?

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Easier to virtue signal than to do the one thing only your organisation can do, declare a pandemic when one appears!

Or have I referenced a nasty stereotype about bureaucrats???

I am offended !

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

People really need to get some perspective here.

The traditional flu which most of us have had at one point kills between 5 and 600,000 people globally every year. In America alone over the winter of 2019 there have been . 26 million cases of flu' killing 14,000 people.

In contrast, Coronavirus has killed 2700 globally and has caused 80,000 illnesses.

Flu will have claimed more lives in ireland than this winter than the coronavirus which hasnt even landed here yet. People need to stop panicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

reg114 wrote: »

The traditional flu which most of us have had at one point kills between 5 and 600,000 people globally every year. In America alone over the winter of 2019 there have been . 26 million cases of flu' killing 14,000 people.

In contrast, Coronavirus has killed 2700 globally and has caused 80,000 illnesses.

Flu will have claimed more lives in ireland than this winter than the coronavirus which hasnt even landed here yet. People need to stop panicking.

What's 2700 as a percentage of 80000 and what's 14000 as a percentage of 2600000.

I think that's why people are worried.

There was a news item a few days ago here; corona is now a notifiable disease in Ireland, and that gives powers of restraint.

Cannot copy/paste here but should be easy enough to find and may reassure folk some?

Thank you

Watching it all from a distance as I am permanently in isolation out here.
    SusanC10 wrote: »
    Italy actually declared a state of Emergency re Coronavirus on January 31st even though they only had 2/3 Cases then. But by doing that, it gave them the necessary powers to lockdown those towns last weekend.

• Advertisement

No one is panicking, This is an unknown quantity so greater care is being taken is all and wisely and rightly so .

Your last sentence ?

And folk stocking up is wise; far better than a mad rush to the shops if it breaks out here and nothing lost or wasted.

Omigod, the humanity, we're doomed and all going to die.
    That's panic.
    There's no panic, just vigilant concern/

Your comparison has no merit. You're comparing the possible effects of a disease which hasn't hit yet with one that is a known quantity, for which we have a vaccine, and which in fact places our health service under massive strain when it does hit.

You can see why we're concerned.

If you want some perspective, ask yourself why Russia closed its border with China. A country with the intelligence and scientific resources of Russia closed its border with its major trading ally because of something which you think is of less concern than the traditional flu?
    Do you think they were panicking?

DrumSteve wrote: »
    What's 2700 as a percentage of 80000 and what's 14000 as a percentage of 2600000.

I think that's why people are worried.

covid19 mortality rate 3%

Flu mortality rate 0.5%

Sars mortality rate 10%

Mers mortality rate 30%

As you can see the mortality rates for Sars and Mers were far higher than for either Covid 19 or Flu. The difference is hype perpetuated by social media and a 24 hour news cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
    new cases trending down. only two new cases in Italy. lets hope the trend continues

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

So 5 days home from Cambodia and I have a phlegmy head cold and muscle pains in my back and legs.
    What fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

My main concern today is people needlessly stock buying flour and denying me the ability to buy it to make pancakes while they sit on bags and bags of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Runaways wrote: »
    So 5 days home from Cambodia and I have a phlegmy head cold and muscle pains in my back and legs.
    What fun.

Afaik that’s not covid19,phlegm gives it away

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
    new cases trending down. only two new cases in Italy. lets hope the trend continues

Ha, you trust what the Italian government say?

Everyone knows news related to the virus is fake unless it's scary.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Omigod, the humanity, we're doomed and all going to die.
    That's panic.
    There's no panic, just vigilant concern/

Your comparison has no merit. You're comparing the possible effects of a disease which hasn't hit yet with one that is a known quantity, for which we have a vaccine, and which in fact places our health service under massive strain when it does hit.

You can see why we're concerned.

If you want some perspective, ask yourself why Russia closed its border with China. A country with the intelligence and scientific resources of Russia closed its border with its major trading ally because of something which you think is of less concern than the traditional flu?
    Do you think they were panicking?

I cant speak for the Russian government but seeing as they are alot closer to the epicentre of the Wuhan outbreak and share a landmass it would be prudent of them to exercise caution. Theres a huge difference between the threat faced on the Chinese Russian border and people living in Ireland.

Track the disease yourselves but note the numbers of new cases and deaths are actually falling.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

covid19 mortality rate 3%

Flu mortality rate 0.5%

Sars mortality rate 10%

Mers mortality rate 30%

As you can see the mortality rates for Sars and Mers were far higher than for either Covid 19 or Flu. The difference is hype perpetuated by social media and a 24 hour news cycle.
    Flu mortality rate is 0.1%
    Covid is at most 2%, I don't think you appreciate how high that is though . Anything over 2% is considered a majorly destructive pandemic by WHO/CDC

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement