Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are we used to Dublin being a Kip?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Wow, the idea of methadone clinics beside halting sites and all the madness that would ensue...
    mind blown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Hal3000 wrote: »
    Totally agree. The council are fantastic at emptying bins and driving / sitting on their holes in vans. Again ZERO accountability. I personally think street sanitation must be taken away from DCC and privatized. Use our property tax to bring the place up to scratch. They seem to be able to do it in every other country except here . We are a nation full of excuses, costs, staff, insurance etc etc...

I'm half thinking of starting a boards thread called post your pics of Dublin the Kip just so your councils can see how awful the place is becoming.

Please do, and hope you get loads of pix. Then send the thread to Owen Keegan and copy to all DCC Councillors. Better get on yer bike, the local elections loom!

I don't have a vote within DCC, but that doesn't mean I don't care. In fact our Dublin Council are ace. They plant trees, clean the roads, fix potholes, they are OK IMO, always room for improvement tho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Wow, the idea of methadone clinics beside halting sites and all the madness that would ensue...
    mind blown.

Would be a good experiment in coalescing scumbags anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,753 ✭✭✭cgcsb

What annoys me is walking around some streets in town where the paths and kerbs are just in absolute bits like someone's been hammering at them with kango hammers and bulldozers. Baggot St and Merrion Row spring to mind, and South Anne St. It just looks terrible, for all the money we squander in this country you'd think they'd be able to get the little things right.
    Also pedestrians are not favoured at crossings, the car is. Even at lunchtime you've to wait a bloody age on the tiny footpaths in certain parts of the city, when the streets are packed, for the lights to change so you can cross. Again Baggot St and Merrion Row are terrible for this. Lots of streets have plenty of room to accommodate bigger footpaths and cycle lanes but nothing is being done.

This times a million the streetscape mostly looks like bombsites. Even streets next to Grafton street are a patchwork of different materials at different levels. The footpath situation is arguably worse than it is Turkey. And of course cars get priority everywhere. Even the trendies on south william street have to walk in single file and stand in doorways to let others past in order to accommodate three car widths for motorists. Merrion Row is an absolute danger for pedestrians. The UN needs to step in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,753 ✭✭✭cgcsb

mind blown.

It could be a perfect solution actually. Solved through mutual agreement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

topper75 wrote: »
    Was this 'Limerick is a kip' lie purely fabricated by Dublin-based media as an attempt to deflect from Dublin issues?

What do you know first-hand about Limerick, if anything? I don't think you are 100% on Limerick either.

I know a bit about Limerick first hand. I've lived in Ballyfermot, Clondalkin and Tallaght and am well acquainted with north/south inner city Dublin. Right now I'm living and working in the west of Ireland and Limerick is an absolute pit of a place. 'Some,' parts of the city is 'ok,' but not many. I've travelled Ireland from Antrim to Derry to Cork. Limerick is like Dublin about 20 years ago with horses roaming the streets but there are dirt birds everywhere. Believe me or believe me not, it's true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I know a bit about Limerick first hand. I've lived in Ballyfermot, Clondalkin and Tallaght and am well acquainted with north/south inner city Dublin. Right now I'm living and working in the west of Ireland and Limerick is an absolute pit of a place. 'Some,' parts of the city is 'ok,' but not many. I've travelled Ireland from Antrim to Derry to Cork. Limerick is like Dublin about 20 years ago with horses roaming the streets but there are dirt birds everywhere. Believe me or believe me not, it's true.

Clearly you're a very stable genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Limerick city Council is exceptionally useless and the standard is low nationwide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

It’s all the Guberments fault, Dublin be a grand spot if it wasn’t for that shower, probably....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...Limerick is like Dublin about 20 years ago with horses roaming the streets but there are dirt birds everywhere. Believe me or believe me not, it's true.

There are no horses "roaming the streets" in Limerick, with the possible exception of Childers Road (a.k.a. the Shams-Élysées :D), and that's well outside the city centre. I'll concede that Upper William Street is a bit grubby-looking these last few years, with some, shall we say, colourful denizens, but it would be a stretch all the same to describe it as in any way dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

we are one of the most economically and social conservative countries in Europe. We may even be the most conservative, post Brexit.

Even other Catholic countries like Poland and Spain have traditionally been far more liberal.

We're absolutely not one of the most socially conservative countries in Europe anymore. We definitely were until the 1990s though, but things have changed spectacularly. Had you been saying that bout Ireland in 1990, yes it's would be accurate, but it's absolutely incorrect to say that about Ireland in 2019.

I've lived in Spain and know the history and it's very similar to Ireland in terms of shifts in attitudes. Ireland managed to have a coldly conservative mid 20th century without a dictatorship, Spain went the whole hog and had an ultra-right-wing dictatorship and corporatism involving the Catholic Church merged into every aspect of officialdom. I would rate Spain as now one of the most socially progressive and open minded countries in Europe across a whole range of issues. It's also been through remarkable social change. To call Spain "traditionally liberal" is utterly risible though. Until the late 1970s it would have made Dev's Ireland look like a bunch of liberal hippies.

Poland was a communist authoritarian state and effectively a soviet puppet state until the 1989. It's gone from that to opening up but would today be one of the most conservative countries in Europe in terms of politics. Try being openly gay in Poland at the moment and you'll get a sense of what it's like with PiS in power.

In terms of economics we are also absolutely not the most economically conservative state in Europe. We're one of the least so and rate very highly on economic freedom indices and we do very well on the Gini coefficient for wealth redistribution after tax and welfare systems are applied.

We also rate in the top 6 in terms of democracy (tying with Canada) and very much in line with the Nordic countries and NZ and we rate far higher on things like press freedom than the UK and US, and that's despite the concentration of ownership issues due to INM and RTE etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

He he! We all spout lies on a rant sooner or later. It's human.

Are you this guy?
    https://www.thejournal.ie/jordan-moore-limerick-fc-2-2823974-Jun2016/

He was good enough at least to retract the BS and apologise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I'm half thinking of starting a boards thread called post your pics of Dublin the Kip !!

I think that's a very good idea actually...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

Diceicle wrote: »
    Lots of places have their 'kippy' aspects, graffiti (tagging, more so) in Lisbon I thought was next level bad. The bombed-out, run downness of Budapest was bad in places - but in any place I've visited I've never been harassed like you are in Dublin if you're sitting out having a drink or a meal. Beggars etc in the European cities I've visited sit silently and never harass anyone.
    Dublin has an air of menace at times where its like your day can go south for you if your catch the eye of the wrong person.
    Its not a warzone, those other counties I've visited have their drab areas, however we seem to have more scummers per capita roaming the city centre than anywhere else I've been.

I wouldn't ever go to Liverpool then if I was you. The beggars openly go around the pubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Were it ever thus.

I remember in the 70's the amount of zombie glue-sniffers going around O'Connell Street and on the bus openly huffing from brown-bags full of Bostik during the day.

The litter problem was far, far worse back then. Check out Billy Connolly's 'Big Banana Feet' movie that has footage of him walking down O'Connell Street - rubbish everywhere.

Yes, it's bad today, but not a patch on how bad it was back in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Wow OP your post had everything. A probably imaginary event in Dublin, imaginary friends from Israel. A hypocritical statement from the imaginary friend about his imaginary trip to Dublin. Those are all the ingredients you need for a good provoking in After Hours. Good luck OP xxxx
    What's hypocritical?

I don't think Dublin is a sh1t-hole (I think that's a pretty stupid thing to say actually) and I know Ireland is one of the safest countries in the world, but this kind of scumbaggy behaviour is very much an Irish/British thing, and it's not ok. Also, smoking weed that young is of course grim despite the dishonest downplaying.

The guy coming from Israel though - why does that change anything? It's actually bigoted to keep going on about his nationality without knowing anything about his character. But that kind of bigotry is ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Was up in the capital last week. Lads, the city centre is some kip. It really is. The highlight being 2 gardai wasting their time trying to hold a junkie upright in Temple Bar. The Spanish students must think its our version of the running of the bulls.

The pubs and food are quality though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Were it ever thus.

I remember in the 70's the amount of zombie glue-sniffers going around O'Connell Street and on the bus openly huffing from brown-bags full of Bostik during the day.

The litter problem was far, far worse back then. Check out Billy Connolly's 'Big Banana Feet' movie that has footage of him walking down O'Connell Street - rubbish everywhere.

Yes, it's bad today, but not a patch on how bad it was back in the day.

At least that had Bang Bang and other street characters i.e. pissheads to keep them entertained.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 335 ✭✭.Charlo

Was up in the capital last week. Lads, the city centre is some kip. It really is. The highlight being 2 gardai wasting their time trying to hold a junkie upright in Temple Bar. The Spanish students must think its our version of the running of the bulls.

The pubs and food are quality though.

The Spanish students if they're from a city will be well used to that carry on. Barcelona is a worse kip than Dublin without a doubt.

.Charlo wrote: »
    The Spanish students if they're from a city will be well used to that carry on. Barcelona is a worse kip than Dublin without a doubt.

I think Barcelona is amazing. There's sketchy folk around alright but the amount of cool stuff there makes up for this in abundance. Dublin isn't bad at all, junkies yes but they're harmless, the only thing about it is I think it's polluted with too many cars and it's not the prettiest city outside of the south Georgian quarter and the streets around Grafton st etc.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 335 ✭✭.Charlo

I think Barcelona is amazing. There's sketchy folk around alright but the amount of cool stuff there makes up for this in abundance. Dublin isn't bad at all, junkies yes but they're harmless, the only thing about it is I think it's polluted with too many cars and it's not the prettiest city outside of the south Georgian quarter and the streets around Grafton st etc.

Dont get me wrong I love the place, was there twice last year. The open drug dealing on la rambla and in the gothic quarter where I was staying is far worse than anything I've seen In Dublin. It feels dodgy walking around.

Comparing crime stats for the two cities will probably prove what I have said wrong though. I suppose sometimes it's how you perceive a place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I actually think Dublin is really nice. Plenty of green, water, nice enough buildings but city management is poor. Bad traffic, lack of pedestrian zones, bad rubbish management, loss of nice pedestrian areas to antisocial behaviour. Those are all fixable issues but it doesn't seem anyone is doing anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

When I fly back the main issue I have with Dublin CC especially is that it is very claustrophobic with just too many people and roadworks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Theres very few places to sit, benches or anything near the city center. Compare that to Belfast for instance which has benches everywhere. The latter is much more welcoming in this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Anybody else sick of the Dublin bashing threads, we seem to have one every few weeks. If you don't like Dublin nobody's forcing you to stay. No city is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭seasidedub

Greyfox wrote: »
    Anybody else sick of the Dublin bashing threads, we seem to have one every few weeks. If you don't like Dublin nobody's forcing you to stay. No city is perfect.

No city is perfect, but I can name many which just are more attractive, cleaner and feel safer than Dublin. It's just a fact. Some of the differences can't be helped, some architecture is just more pleasing, sorry but you cant compare sitting in a cafe along the lovely turquoise river in old Ljubljana to sitting beside junkies on the Liffey boardwalk watching a filthy river throw up used pramscand tires at low tide. You just cant. Or Vienna, Prague etc. The beautiful harbour in Helsinki. But throwing rubbish and a high tolerance for anti social behaviour can absolutely be helped.

The tolerance for anti-social behaviour is too high. It's why we can't have nice things. My s.o. has his boat in Helsinki in a marina where the boats are just moored on the waters edge, no gate or lock to the moorings. If that was here scangers would set fire to them, wreck them etc. You know it's true.

Look at the photo - boats accessible to passers by. You could never have that here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

seasidedub wrote: »
    No city is perfect, but I can name many which just are more attractive, cleaner and feel safer than Dublin. It's just a fact. Some of the differences can't be helped, some architecture is just more pleasing, sorry but you cant compare sitting in a cafe along the lovely turquoise river in old Ljubljana to sitting beside junkies on the Liffey boardwalk watching a filthy river throw up used pramscand tires at low tide. You just cant. Or Vienna, Prague etc. The beautiful harbour in Helsinki. But throwing rubbish and a high tolerance for anti social behaviour can absolutely be helped.

The tolerance for anti-social behaviour is too high. It's why we can't have nice things. My s.o. has his boat in Helsinki in a marina where the boats are just moored on the waters edge, no gate or lock to the moorings. If that was here scangers would set fire to them, wreck them etc. You know it's true.

Yeh but youre holding Dublin to a really high bar there, prague and Vienna are two of a very small number of completely perfect beautiful cities, almost entirely confined to western europe. Dublin is way more beautiful than thousands of cities in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

The tolerance for anti-social behaviour is too high. It's why we can't have nice things. ...

This is the root of the entire problem. Any push on it and the do-gooders are screeching Police State.
    Historians often relate accounts of mere sheep stealers being suspended by the neck until dead and nowadays it is all about the suspended sentence. Pendulum has swung much too far.

No city is perfect, but I can name many which just are more attractive, cleaner and feel safer than Dublin. It's just a fact. Some of the differences can't be helped, some architecture is just more pleasing, sorry but you cant compare sitting in a cafe along the lovely turquoise river in old Ljubljana to sitting beside junkies on the Liffey boardwalk watching a filthy river throw up used pramscand tires at low tide.

Weather will never allow the type of a setting you are talking about in Dublin. But Ljubljana 20-25 years ago was a lot less serene as Ljubljana is today. A lot more of the city is closed of for traffic, parking houses were built, streets wwre landscaped and so on. I don't like the mayor of Ljubljana but there is no denying that some projects were started and completed under him that really helped the city. Dublin is a nice city, I just think the vision what to do to improve the flow of the city and to clean it up is lacking.

• Advertisement

meeeeh wrote: »
    Weather will never allow the type of a setting you are talking about in Dublin. But Ljubljana 20-25 years ago was a lot less serene as Ljubljana is today. A lot more of the city is closed of for traffic, parking houses were built, streets wwre landscaped and so on. I don't like the mayor of Ljubljana but there is no denying that some projects were started and completed under him that really helped the city. Dublin is a nice city, I just think the vision what to do to improve the flow of the city and to clean it up is lacking.

I don't like Jankovic the Serb either but he got stuff done. I agree LJ was less attractive 25 years ago but the bones were there. The problem with Dublin is that some parts have "bad bones" and there is little that could be done. But we could help ourselves by not tolerating antisocial behaviour. I can walk around LJ at 3am, my bag swinging off my shoulder totally safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

We need to change attitudes in this country. Lots and lots of our youth are littering. Are there any programs in schools to teach young people that throwing a McDonalds or Four Star Pizza in a bush is despicable behaviour ? As far as anti social behavior is concerned, you can look at why this occurs as much as you want, but fact is it will continue. We need accountability, simple! Make people clean the streets, make parents pay for damages and stop pussyfooting around these issues. Christ, if I hear another post about inequality... These rules would apply to all in society so don't even bother !!

Where he was born has nothing to do with my reservations about his land dealings and similar.

I love Ljubljana but there are plenty iffy not so nice parts there too. Dublin is a lot bigger, it would be a bit unfair to compare criminality in one and the other. I think some criticism of Dublin is warranted (waste, traffic) but it has some lovely streets, parks and very cool buildings.

I honestly think nearly all problems in this country are caused by parish pump politics, NIMBYism, lack of leadership, and short sighted politicians with no balls. Nothing will ever change here. You can call Dublin a kip but the whole country is a planning disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

We need to change attitudes in this country. Lots and lots of our youth are littering. Are there any programs in schools to teach young people that throwing a McDonalds or Four Star Pizza in a bush is despicable behaviour ? As far as anti social behavior is concerned, you can look at why this occurs as much as you want, but fact is it will continue. We need accountability, simple! Make people clean the streets, make parents pay for damages and stop pussyfooting around these issues. Christ, if I hear another post about inequality... These rules would apply to all in society so don't even bother !!

The same kids who litter are the ones marching out of schools so they can protest climate change

Shower of complete and utter hypocrites.

The same kids who litter are the ones marching out of schools so they can protest climate change

Shower of complete and utter hypocrites.

How do you know this or is that just something you'd like to be true?
    I heard everyone who cares about the environment goes to Bali 3 times a year too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

wakka12 wrote: »
    Yeh but youre holding Dublin to a really high bar there, prague and Vienna are two of a very small number of completely perfect beautiful cities, almost entirely confined to western europe. Dublin is way more beautiful than thousands of cities in the world

Unless things have drastically changed in the last ten years, I wouldn't be holding up Prague as a perfect city. Beautiful place, but Wenceslas Square is seedy as hell, and that was just in the evening time.

Dublin city centre has always had its problems, but its grand. My only complaint is that it could be a bit cleaner. But the way people talk about the junkies, you'd swear it was like The Walking Dead, can't say its that noticeable to be honest

What is a pity about Dublin is the potential to be a great city for residents and visitors is being missed. More pedestrianisation areas, an active friendly police presence on the street that deals rapidly with drunks and druggies, proper use of an extended coastline and canals and imaginative public transport options would really improve the city.

I'd just love to see as many cars out of the city as possible and more pedestrianised areas. Again too many vested interests and politicians without sets of bollocks so nothing will ever change.

• Advertisement

Edgware wrote: »
    What is a pity about Dublin is the potential to be a great city for residents and visitors is being missed. More pedestrianisation areas, an active friendly police presence on the street that deals rapidly with drunks and druggies, proper use of an extended coastline and canals and imaginative public transport options would really improve the city.

Agree, dublin could very easily have one of the largest and most walkable old towns in all of europe with a little bit of motivation and balls to **** cars out of the city. Imagine the liffey without thousands of cars steamin up and down the quays? Would be absolutlely beautiful. Cars really were the death of Dublin, the sooner we get a metro and Dart undeground and can ban cars from inside the canal borders the better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

With a few exceptions, it really is as simplistic to say it's a kip north of the Liffey and lovely south, inner city at least. I think of Dublin as an entertaining vibrant place, always something good going on, safe and with a weirdly nice climate compared to many places in the country. Lovely place to live, if a bit expensive. That's because I was lucky to rent affordably in a nice suburb and socialised in D2, rarely venturing elsewhere. My country colleagues call it a kip as they only go from Heuston to Abbey street, up to Croke park and back again. Plenty of teachers/nurses who live in D3 etc call the city a shiithole also

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    With a few exceptions, it really is as simplistic to say it's a kip north of the Liffey and lovely south, inner city at least. I think of Dublin as an entertaining vibrant place, always something good going on, safe and with a weirdly nice climate compared to many places in the country. Lovely place to live, if a bit expensive. That's because I was lucky to rent affordably in a nice suburb and socialised in D2, rarely venturing elsewhere. My country colleagues call it a kip as they only go from Heuston to Abbey street, up to Croke park and back again. Plenty of teachers/nurses who live in D3 etc call the city a shiithole also

Most of D3 is really nice

D3 is gorgeous , with really charactered villages and the coastal amenties a very short distance from most areas within the post code.

But yeh Dublin goes from very nice to very horrible. I really doubt youll find many people from D2,D4, or D6 who would say the city is a kip because those areas are really genuinely so nice. And plenty of places in the north east inner city for example have absolutely no redeeming features

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Most of D3 is really nice

Sorry, probably should have specified Ballybough or Dorset street, obviously not Clontarf etc. General point is for people who live or utilise certain areas, Dublin can be a gorgeous place. It varies massively though in a small city centre space

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Sorry, probably should have specified Ballybough or Dorset street, obviously not Clontarf etc. General point is for people who live or utilise certain areas, Dublin can be a gorgeous place. It varies massively though in a small city centre space

Pretty sure Dorset st is d1 but yeah I know what you’re talking about

• Advertisement

wakka12 wrote: »
    D3 is gorgeous , with really charactered villages and the coastal amenties a very short distance from most areas within the post code.

But yeh Dublin goes from very nice to very horrible. I really doubt youll find many people from D2,D4, or D6 who would say the city is a kip because those areas are really genuinely so nice. And plenty of places in the north east inner city for example have absolutely no redeeming features
    From Parnell sq east to Richmond road and south of Drumcondra rd is a mess but there are lovely spots around Stoneybatter, Grangegorman up by Arbour Hill. I cant make out what they were trying to do with Smithfield but it didnt work out. And of course the Phoenix Park.
    Free tours of the Aras, Farmleigh and great areas with no cars. Great potential

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

O'Connell st used to be one of the nicest main streets in Europe 100 years ago. It was the widest or one of the widest too. Now it's gone downhill an awful lot. They should have kept the column instead of erecting the spike, it was a tourist attraction, people could climb the stairs inside for a view over the city from its viewing platform, you cannot do that with the spike.

janfebmar wrote: »
    O'Connell st used to be one of the nicest main streets in Europe 100 years ago. It was the widest or one of the widest too. Now it's gone downhill an awful lot. They should have kept the column instead of erecting the spike, it was a tourist attraction, people could climb the stairs inside for a view over the city from its viewing platform, you cannot do that with the spike.

If you keep spinning around fast enough you can go back in time and tell the IRA it should be kept as a tourist attraction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

If you keep spinning around fast enough you can go back in time and tell the IRA it should be kept as a tourist attraction

Now there is an idea, maybe rebuild it as a tourist attraction? The view from the top of it would be great, people could be charged to climb it as they are charged to climb monuments / viewing platforms in other European cities. Could 'nt be any worse than the needle and what it symbolises anyway. Drugs.

I take back everything I said about Dublin being a kip.

I've just been in Manchester for a work thing and can honestly say that I have never been in such an unadulterated kip. The centre is walkable and apart from a tiny area of literally just one or two "Ye olde" style Tudor looking taverns the place is awful. There is no european feel at all which Dublin does have a bit of. It's truly a gritty northern English city. I get that some people are into that, I'm not....

I've never seen so many junkie zombies, old style winos and homeless begging. It's sad. 90% if the people walking around look like they could do with a good wash too.

I'm rarely in England and this place has creeper me out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement