Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bloody Sunday soldier to be charged with murder

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,926 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

And yet you and i both know that i am on record many times on these boards saying that ANYONE suspected of murder should be investigated and ANYONE convicted of murder, no matter WHO they are shoukd face the full force of the law.

You can claim all you like that i defend the BA/British but i defend them at the same level you do when it comes to the IRA/SF so its yourself who should be taking the "sanctimonious nonsense elsewhere".

You may be able to fool yourself...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,644 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You may be able to fool yourself...

Says the man who defended the paedophile Liam Adams :rolleyes:

More of the sanctimonious nonsense but this time sanctimonious lies.

I have always said Liam Adams got what he deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

The actual fact is that you are one of the first posters on scene to defend the BA and British along with your thanker and a few others.

Nobody is defending the BA soldier charged with murder. However it was pointed out between 1971 and 1989 alone, there were 203 murders in the Fermanagh and south Tyrone area alone, of which about 178 were carried out by republican paramilitaries. Only 14 convictions followed. So an awful lot of people were not prosecuted and convicted. And you Francie have a record of defending many of the murderers.

janfebmar wrote: »
    Nobody is defending the BA soldier charged with murder. However it was pointed out between 1971 and 1989 alone, there were 203 murders in the Fermanagh and south Tyrone area alone, of which about 178 were carried out by republican paramilitaries. Only 14 convictions followed. So an awful lot of people were not prosecuted and convicted. And you Francie have a record of defending many of the murderers.

Where has somebody who thinks all the violence and killing was wrong, 'defended' anybody?

I understand why it happened, that is not the same as defending it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

The Birmingham bomb was a horrible act. It was clear the PIRA were sending a message of how do you like it. It was in response to acts like the Dublin and Monaghan bombings which happened a few months earlier and other murders committed by the British side. They wanted to show British people what it's like to see innocents killed in their own country. This was wrong, they should not have stooped to the level of the British side. Military targets are what they should have stuck to.

I understand why it happened, that is not the same as defending it.

Lots of people understand why it happened, your insight has not brought anything new to the table. If you think all the violence and killing was wrong, do you condemn all of the 203 murders between 1971 and 1989 in the Fermanagh and south Tyrone area alone, of which about 178 were carried out by republican paramilitaries?
    It was in response to acts like the Dublin and Monaghan bombings which happened a few months earlier
    The loyayist paramilitaries would probably say those bombings were in response to bombings in N. Ireland. Tit for tat it was called. That is why the armed struggle was wrong.

Military targets are what they should have stuck to.

Cowardly putting a bomb under a retired or part time policemans car did not achieve anything either. The aim of the armed struggle was to get the the British out of Ireland, it did not achieve that.

Lots of people understand why it happened, your insight has not brought anything new to the table. If you think all the violence and killing was wrong, do you condemn all of the 203 murders between 1971 and 1989 in the Fermanagh and south Tyrone area alone, of which about 178 were carried out by republican paramilitaries?

I condemn all the killing but mostly those who allowed it to happen and as it turns out where involved, instead of doing what they are supposed to as responsible governments.

I condemn all the killing ....

You do not actually. Do not fool yourself. You think the British government wanted all the killings, even though it cost them a fortune, was an embarrassment to them on the world stage, cost the lives of a number of their politicians etc. The UK govt flew Adams and others to London in the early seventies and tried to get them to stop, but Republicans said the armed struggle would continue until the "Brits got out".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

The Birmingham bomb was a horrible act. It was clear the PIRA were sending a message of how do you like it. It was in response to acts like the Dublin and Monaghan bombings which happened a few months earlier and other murders committed by the British side.

Did the people who were in those bars or the people of Birmingham as a whole, a sizable chunk of whom were Irish or of Irish decent, play some part in the Dublin and Monaghan bombings? Let's leave Dublin and Monaghan to one side for the moment and focus on the matter in hand. Might end up losing focus on the despicable act that was the Birmingham bombings and no true justice seeker would want that.

The loyayist paramilitaries would probably say those bombings were in response to bombings in N. Ireland. Tit for tat it was called. That is why the armed struggle was wrong.

Cowardly putting a bomb under a retired or part time policemans car did not achieve anything either. The aim of the armed struggle was to get the the British out of Ireland, it did not achieve that.

The British security forces were responsible for the Dublin and Monaghan bombings. The PIRA should not have retaliated in kind but that's the message they were sending.

Nationalists were second class citizens in their own country, they were treated like dirt and the loyalist dead squads were attempting to force them out of their homes. The PIRA did some bad things but they also saved their people from an attempt at ethnic cleansing.

Berserker wrote: »
    Did the people who were in those bars or the people of Birmingham as a whole, a sizable chunk of whom were Irish or of Irish decent, play some part in the Dublin and Monaghan bombings? Let's leave Dublin and Monaghan to one side for the moment and focus on the matter in hand. Might end up losing focus on the despicable act that was the Birmingham bombings and no true justice seeker would want that.

This thread is about Bloody Sunday. The victims of the Dublin and Monaghan bombings were innocent as well. As I said, the PIRA should not have sunk to that level but they wanted to show the British people what it was like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

NIMAN wrote: »
    People continuing to compare a terrorist organisation with the states' forces of law and order.

Always baffles me.

British state forces were terrorists.

All of the over 300,000 of them who served in N. Ireland? I do not think so. They were brought in to keep the peace. Are you aware that of the 203 murders between 1971 and 1989 in the Fermanagh and south Tyrone area alone, about 178 were carried out by republican paramilitaries? Does that tell you the British state forces were terrorists?

More of the sanctimonious nonsense but this time sanctimonious lies.

I have always said Liam Adams got what he deserved.

And i have always said murderers should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law but you seem to think i defend murderers.

• Advertisement

All of the over 300,000 of them who served in N. Ireland? I do not think so. They were brought in to keep the peace. Are you aware that of the 203 murders between 1971 and 1989 in the Fermanagh and south Tyrone area alone, about 178 were carried out by republican paramilitaries? Does that tell you the British state forces were terrorists?

No, how would it? That's a stupid stupid question.

Their collision with loyalist terrorists is what tells me they were.

_

I condemn all the killing but mostly those who allowed it to happen and as it turns out where involved, instead of doing what they are supposed to as responsible governments.

So would you here and now condemn Gerry Adams for allowing the murder of so many innocent civilians in Birmingham?

Their collision with loyalist terrorists is what tells me they were.
    _
    So you think all members of the security forces in the North colluded with loyalist terrorists, and all members of the security forces in the Republic colluded with republican terrorists.

So you think all members of the security forces in the North colluded with loyalist terrorists, and all members of the security forces in the Republic colluded with republican terrorists.

If you can find where I said that then I'd be glad to see it. Why are you making things up? That's a completely idiotic thing to be at though not unsurprising for the like of you.

Please do not thank my posts, refer to my posts or quote my posts.

• Advertisement

If you can find where I said that then I'd be glad to see it.

You implied it when you said:

I think most of the hundreds of thousands were law abiding people, working for a government, earning a living. Sure there were a few bad apples, but I have respect for most people in served in the security forces on both sides of the border.

Please do not thank my posts, refer to my posts or quote my posts.

That also goes for you EOTR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,862 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I want and require justice for everyone because it is the only way to heal this society.

Then I am sure you will be vitriolic in your condemnation that Sinn Fein/PIRA are not that willing to cooperate and help prosecute the people involved in these bombings?

markodaly wrote: »
    Then I am sure you will be vitriolic in your condemnation that Sinn Fein/PIRA are not that willing to cooperate and help prosecute the people involved in these bombings?

Can we get some of your vitriol condemning the British soldiers? I haven't been following the thread so I may have missed it.

Give them hell. Be brutal.

So would you here and now condemn Gerry Adams for allowing the murder of so many innocent civilians in Birmingham?

If Adams allowed it, then I condemn him.

SF/IRA are willing to take part in a Truth process. The only people who aren't are The British and Loyalists. That speaks for itself.

Can we get some of your vitriol condemning the British soldiers? I haven't been following the thread so I may have missed it.

Give them hell. Be brutal.

That's cute.

But I am consistent on this issue.

Scumbags, be they from the British Army or PIRA or UVF or whomever that kill, maim innocent people should be locked up with the keys thrown away.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109694782&postcount=259

We in Ireland though, seem to have a sneaky regard for the Provo's and give them a bit of a pass. It's self-evident in this thread.

Those that committed the Birmingham bombings should be up in court as no one has faced justice. You can be sure as hell that the likes of Gerry Adams, and Slab Murphy know intimate details about this and can help with a successful prosecution.

The victims of Derry's bloody Sunday deserve justice, as do the victims of the Birmingham bombings.

That's cute.

Scumbags, be they from the British Army or PIRA or UVF or whomever that kill, maim innocent people should be locked up with the keys thrown away.

We in Ireland though, seem to have a sneaky regard for the Provo's and give them a bit of a pass. It's self-evident in this thread.

Those that committed the Birmingham bombings should be up in court as no one has faced justice. You can be sure as hell that the likes of Gerry Adams, and Slab Murphy know intimate details about this and can help with a successful prosecution.

The victims of Derry's bloody Sunday deserve justice, as do the victims of the Birmingham bombings.

I think the vast majority look at the IRA with distain. These threads are always an over representation of minority views since most people don't even bother posting, but those who feel strongly always post.

That's cute.

British MP's claim they know as well.
    Unfortunately 'knowing' is not enough.

Keeping to the subject of the thread, the British government have known for 40 years what happened in Derry but not a sinner has faced 'justice' for it.

British MP's claim they know as well.
    Unfortunately 'knowing' is not enough.

You would think guys like Gerry Adams (who was on the IRA Army Council at the time apparently) and Thomas Slab Murphy, ex chief of staff of the PIRA would have a little bit of proof and have more than 'knowing'.
    They could act as witnesses and stand in the dock, point at the finger at the men involved and be honest and open about it in court and or an affidavit.

• Advertisement

I think the vast majority look at the IRA with distain. These threads are always an over representation of minority views since most people don't even bother posting, but those who feel strongly always post.

I agree.

However, I do not see views here defending the British Army involvement in the North. But we do see the three card shuffle when it comes to Provo actions.

The usual posters as always.

You would think guys like Gerry Adams (who was on the IRA Army Council at the time apparently) and Thomas Slab Murphy, ex chief of staff of the PIRA would have a little bit of proof and have more than 'knowing'.
    They could act as witnesses and stand in the dock, point at the finger at the men involved and be honest and open about it in court and or an affidavit.

The IRA have said again and again that they are willing to bring closure to the events of the conflict, if all sides do.
    This is not impossible, it has worked before after bitter long conflicts/war.

But it is being blocked.

I agree.

However, I do not see views here defending the British Army involvement in the North. But we do see the three card shuffle when it comes to Provo actions.

I don't mind their involvement overall. I am friends with an old English guy who was stationed in the North and after he realised I'd be ok with him even telling me that, he spoke well about his intentions and want for peace.

You can't really expect positive views of it from most people. Until I met him, my view of the British army was scary border crossings when I was young.

The IRA have said again and again that they are willing to bring closure to the events of the conflict, if all sides do.
    This is not impossible, it has worked before after bitter long conflicts/war.

But it is being blocked.

Ads by Google, this is the type of post I was referring to earlier.

@Francie, there is no one 'blocking' Gerry Adams, Slab Murphy or any other IRA man with intimate knowledge of these bombings but SF/IRA themselves.

Jumping through moral hoops in an effort to deny victims their justice.

Ads by Google, this is the type of post I was referring to earlier.

@Francie, there is no one 'blocking' Gerry Adams, Slab Murphy or any other IRA man with intimate knowledge of these bombings but SF/IRA themselves.

Jumping through moral hoops in an effort to deny victims their justice.

So apart from assuming that these people have 'intimate knowledge' you also wish for one side to begin shopping their own soldiers?

You are either incredibly naive or ....

No, there is no 'or', you ARE incredibly naive to expect that to happen.

And yes, the British have said no to a Truth process, so 'blocking' is fully correct. Not the first time you have arrived here to preach from an under-informed position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭mattser

I agree.

An amazing bunch really. You have to give them credit for getting wifi available 24/7/365 in their caves.

So apart from assuming that these people have 'intimate knowledge' you also wish for one side to begin shopping their own soldiers?

Ah, so one rule for the British Army, another rule for SF/IRA.
    Glad we cleared that up.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109692747&postcount=188
    I don't really care if these old men spend actual time in jail, the fact they are tried is the import
    You are either incredibly naive or ....

I thought that victims deserved their day in court like the victims of Bloody Sunday. Common decency can see that. Alas, it appears you wish to play the Orwellian Animal Farm game. BA bad, SF/IRA better.

Ah, so one rule for the British Army, another rule for SF/IRA.
    Glad we cleared that up.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109692747&postcount=188

I thought that victims deserved their day in court like the victims of Bloody Sunday. Common decency can see that. Alas, it appears you wish to play the Orwellian Animal Farm game. BA bad, SF/IRA better.

No Mark, you are making things up again.

It is the same rule for all. But those rules are clearly not being observed are they.

30,000 people involved in the conflict went to jail. How many of them came from the BA?

I will let you crunch the numbers on that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Is the Birmingham families loss any less than the Ballymurphy families? Are they not entitles to justice for their murdered loved ones too?

Of course not. It's disgusting that innocent people are murdered. That's it. No whataboutery or whatever.

I mean this next statement not to qualify or distract from my previous statement and I hope you appreciate that. There's a valid point to be made in relation to the hierarchy of victims some people have in their minds. For instance with the Bloody Sunday murders and Ballymurphy you have posters preempting their sympathy with "well the army were on edge" or "some of the victims may have been IRA". Some of the families of those dead have to also deal with clearing the names of those they love. That needs to stop before respect will come back into this conversation.

• Advertisement

And you believe them, when Adams says he was never even in the PIRA? What records did they ever keep, and even if they did keep records, do you really think they would tell all on each other at this stage, "to bring closure to the events of the conflict" ? When they would not even help innocent victims of the troubles with a bit of innocent information like telling the children of Jean McColville what happened, and where she was buried?

And you believe them, when Adams says he was never even in the PIRA? What records did they ever keep, and even if they did keep records, do you really think they would tell all on each other at this stage, "to bring closure to the events of the conflict" ? When they would not even help innocent victims of the troubles with a bit of innocent information like telling the children of Jean McColville what happened, and where she was buried?

The ICLVR have long since expressed satisfaction with the co-operation of former republican activists.

They have told her children why she was killed. She was allegedly an informant and had been warned.

I don't know if she was or not. So don't ask me to adjudicate.

They have told her children why she was killed. .

In the weeks that followed her abduction in the early seventies they told her she ran off with a British soldier, according to reports? The IRA did not admit involvement until after the signing of the Good Friday Agreement.
    Jean McConville was discovered by accident / coastal errosion near Carlingford in County Louth in August 2003. In 2005, Sinn Féin party chairman Mitchel McLaughlin claimed that the killing of McConville was not a crime, saying that she had been executed as a spy in a war situation. According to the internet,Jean McConville's family has campaigned for the arrest of Adams over the murder. I do not know if she was an informer or not either, maybe she was.

It is the same rule for all.

So, why wont SF/IRA leadership help give the victims their day in court?

I would have thought it would be the decent thing to do. But alas they hide behind their politics.

I would have thought it would be the decent thing to do. But alas they hide behind their politics.

When everybody sits down in a truth process. That's what they say, not me.

No side is going to hand over their own, so a truth process is the only thing that is going to work. The British are not willing to do that, even though we have known for some time they were players too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

SF/IRA are willing to take part in a Truth process. The only people who aren't are The British and Loyalists. That speaks for itself.

Talk is cheap. SF/IRA are great when it comes to these soundbites but they shut up shop very quickly when it's time to answer questions. Don't believe they've any remorse for the harm they caused or any interest in getting closure for their victims. Given the title of this thread, one can only laugh at your remark about the British being unwilling to bring closure to events that happened.

• Advertisement

Talk is cheap. SF/IRA are great when it comes to these soundbites but they shut up shop very quickly when it's time to answer questions. Don't believe they've any remorse for the harm they caused or any interest in getting closure for their victims. Given the title of this thread, one can only laugh at your remark about the British being unwilling to bring closure to events that happened.

How many years later is there still nobody in a court for this?
    A sovereign supposedly responsible government has had to be dragged kicking and screaming to even begin to detail what they did here. But it is others who are not to be believed?

Take a read of how the ICLVR has gone about it's work and at who has engaged with it.
    I am no supporter of what the IRA did but I see no reason as of yet to think that they wouldn't do as they say, in a transparent process, where all players take part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

They're afraid their rape of children will be aired in public again

Talk is cheap. SF/IRA are great when it comes to these soundbites but they shut up shop very quickly when it's time to answer questions. Don't believe they've any remorse for the harm they caused or any interest in getting closure for their victims.

+1. Indeed in the case of Jean McColville for example, what hope is there for finding out what happened when certain people do not even admit they were in the IRA? Brendan Hughes and Dolours Price, both now deceased, admitted they were involved in McConville's kidnapping. Hughes claimed McConville had admitted being an informer and that Adams ordered her disappearance. In a 2010 newspaper article, Price also claimed McConville was an informer and that Adams ordered her disappearance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

+1. Indeed in the case of Jean McColville for example, what hope is there for finding out what happened when certain people do not even admit they were in the IRA? Brendan Hughes and Dolours Price, both now deceased, admitted they were involved in McConville's kidnapping. Hughes claimed McConville had admitted being an informer and that Adams ordered her disappearance. In a 2010 newspaper article, Price also claimed McConville was an informer and that Adams ordered her disappearance.

Just on that, do you really expect Gerry Adams to admit previous membership of the IRA and then go to prison for two years. Why would he do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

So McConville was a British Government informer?

• Advertisement
Advertisement