Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Ireland Senior Hurling (Liam Mccarthy Cup) 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Would’ve loved to see what would’ve happened without the red card.
    Delighted to win that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

Sending off ruined the game. It allowed tipp the time to deliver quality ball to their forward line.

Adrian mullen very poor. Didn't look well at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

C__MC wrote: »
    Jesus tipp hammering kilkenny for the second time in four years

A piss handy all Ireland
    Beating laois, wexford and the worst kilkenny team in a living memory

And throw in the minnows of Cork,Clare,Waterford and Limerick too.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Very proud Kilkenny man here.

Ah I’m sure you are, only a bit of banter ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

I don't think it's very fruitful to make a deal out of the red card.

It possibly had a lot more impact on the enjoyment of the game by neutrals than it did on the eventual result.

Even if you were take another hypothetical - ie that CB should have been off already himself after 2+ possible yellow card incidents - it's very likely on the evidence of the semi-final, that Tipp could have still pulled off the win today.

Better team won.

I would prefer for us to draw a line under today ASAP and look forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Hawkeye9212

Opinion of the panel is that both Provincial championships will be competitive next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭big_drive

I think Wexford missed a huge opportunity looking back at this championship

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Pity Tipperary havent coached the lads to give an interview without using bad language. It didn't look well. Two separate incidents..embarrassing

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭conor05

Seadin wrote: »
    Shefflin cant hide his disappointment.

Can understand it to an extent, probably hoping his own club man TJ would be passing through Ballyhale tomorrow with Liam McCarthy on bus.

But he would have to tone down the bias a small bit

• Advertisement

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Pity Tipperary havent coached the lads to give an interview without using bad language. It didn't look well. Two separate incidents..embarrassing

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Seadin

big_drive wrote: »
    I think Wexford missed a huge opportunity looking back at this championship

They didnt they couldn't even beat Tipp with an extra man. Tipp had 3 goals disallowed as well that day. They were no where good enough and would have struggled to beat Kilkenny too in a final.

He was just after giving 70 mins of a hard effort in a final. RTE could give players a while until they get their breaths back again.

conor05 wrote: »
    Can understand it to an extent, probably hoping his own club man TJ would be passing through Ballyhale tomorrow with Liam McCarthy on bus.

I don’t think a pundit from a competing county should be there live. It’s too raw and something silly could be said. Different later tonight when you’ve had time to reflect

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

They didnt they couldn't even beat Tipp with an extra man. Tipp had 3 goals disallowed as wrll that day. They were no where good enough and would have struggled lwd to beat Kilkenny too in a final.

Wexford arent a top 5 team. Kilkenny arent a top 3 team. The Leinster Championship is sub standard. Loads of heart and scrums .The only thing that gives Leinster teams a marked advantage is playing in Croke park so regularly. It's no exaggeration to say Joey Holden..Fogarty and a few more wouldn't make the panel on any Munster squad. Maybe Waterford..

conor05 wrote: »

Far better analysis and better vibe from Loughnane, Cyril, Mulcahy.

But no, RTE has to ape the soccerati in making punditry some kind of exercise in manspreading fashion show BS.

Henry is far from the worst of the self-promoting, pseudo tendency there, but yes, he is a bit too close to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Hard luck to the cats. Started strongly and could have been further in front after 20 minutes. Couple of decent goal chances spurned.

Sending off was deserved and Tipp never looked back. Played some good stuff in second half. Backs were immense especially Kennedy and Heffernan.

Over all a very sweet victory against the mighty cats. Epic decade of a brilliant rivalry ends in parity of 3 final wins apiece. Im over the moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭conor05

Wexford arent a top 5 team. Kilkenny arent a top 3 team. The Leinster Championship is sub standard. Loads of heart and scrums .The only thing that gives Leinster teams a marked advantage is playing in Croke park so regularly. It's no exaggeration to say Joey Holden..Fogarty and a few more wouldn't make the panel on any Munster squad. Maybe Waterford..

I presume you’re talking about the present Kilkenny team?

Kilkenny have hammered the shi*e out of enough Munster teams in the last 10-15 years than I care to remember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

It's Tipp. I'm sure you've heard of effin Eddie

Hard luck to the cats. Started strongly and could have been further in front after 20 minutes. Couple of decent goal chances spurned.

Sending off was deserved and Tipp never looked back. Played some good stuff in second half. Backs were immense especially Kennedy and Heffernan.

Over all a very sweet victory against the mighty cats. Epic decade of a brilliant rivalry ends in parity of 3 final wins apiece. Im over the moon.

Probably not a bad way for any of us to look at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

That defeat could knock my beloved Kilkenny back 5 years in their development. I have never ever seen a Kilkenny side so meekly surrender in Croke Park.

Their seemed to be no plan B today which was very worrying. Raining ball after ball in on top of the best half back line in the country was utterly pointless

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

The cork guy in the rte panel sounds exactly like Roy Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Congrats to tipp.may they enjoy the celebrations.
    Will Cody stay on I wonder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

At least a team that plays the game honestly and doesn't stoop to helmet strap/contact lense cheating like Wexford or the Man City of hurling, Limerick, won the title

Give it a rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Hawkeye9212

thelad95 wrote: »
    That defeat could knock my beloved Kilkenny back 5 years in their development. I have never ever seen a Kilkenny side so meekly surrender in Croke Park.

Their seemed to be no plan B today which was very worrying. Raining ball after ball in on top of the best half back line in the country was utterly pointless

Hard to say. Leinster will be tough next year. I wouldn't be surprised if Galway, Wexford, and Dublin qualified for the All-Ireland series but it's too early to make predictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

At least a team that plays the game honestly and doesn't stoop to helmet strap/contact lense cheating like Wexford or the Man City of hurling, Limerick, won the title

It could be construed that you are bitter. Yes you are bitter. Not a good look

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

They didnt they couldn't even beat Tipp with an extra man. Tipp had 3 goals disallowed as wrll that day. They were no where good enough and would have struggled lwd to beat Kilkenny too in a final.

Rubbish talk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

4 kk
    3 Tipp
    1 Clare Galway Limerick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,587 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

The first 20 mins or so there looked to be only one winner. Kilkenny backs were getting everything then the red card . Also thought the first goal could have been saved easily enough. But in the second half tipp played a more effective game and deservedly won easily enough in the end. Rain didn't help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kk.man

cjmc wrote: »
    The first 20 mins or so there looked to be only one winner. Kilkenny backs were getting everything then the red card . Also thought the first goal could have been saved easily enough. But in the second half tipp played a more effective game and deservedly won easily enough in the end. Rain didn't help

It's easy to play with all the bells and whistles when it's 15 v 14. I'm not saying it was not a red card but it was a huge factor in this final.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭letsseehere14

Were tipp not a point up when the red card came and were denied a stone wall penalty too. By the time the red came tipp were on top. They'd weathered the Kilkenny 20 minute storm and took control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Annabella1

It was a straight red if you apply the rules

I don’t get this ‘it damaged the game as a spectacle’ talk

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

No it's all settled who will get HOTY and the all stars?

It wil be the softest all star for any player in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Annabella1 wrote: »

It ruined the game but the rule is there and was implemented appropriately by the ref.

Should the ref only apply the rules that suit the audience....

Were tipp not a point up when the red card came and were denied a stone wall penalty too. By the time the red came tipp were on top. They'd weathered the Kilkenny 20 minute storm and took control.

A point up alright but whether at 15 v15 they would have gone to such a convincing win I don't know

A point up alright but whether at 15 v15 they would have gone on to such a convincing win I don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Annabella1 wrote: »

Why?

It turned what appeared to a very competitive contest into the polar opposite.

The cats made a great start in the first 20 minutes but did not make enough of that spell.

Tipp reined them in a short spell but it was nip and tuck until the red card.Mere speculation that Tipp would have won the game irrespective of the red card although they did seem to have weathered that impressive initial onslaught by Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

As a tipp man, delighted , we were 13 points up in injury time but still went for a goal, if it was Galway or cork bubbles would have popped it over the bar but when you get a chance against Kilkenny, bury those ****ers because you know well they'd do it to you.

Tipp have no fight, character, balls. Bull****.

As a Kilkenny broadcaster said on newstalk this week , you can't beat tipp too often or by too much, well right back at you Kilkenny.

Hon Tipp!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

This is even remotely correct. Tipp had already come from 5 down to be a point in front when the red card was given. Kk were already in trouble. Tipp also should have had a penalty for the round the neck challenge on Callinan. The red card just exacerbated a problem that was already well under way for KK. The tipp back six were getting on top and their forwards starting to find space. Having Hogan they'd still have been beaten but only by a couple of points less.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Limpy wrote: »
    No it's all settled who will get HOTY and the all stars?

It wil be the softest all star for any player in a long time.

Callanan HOTY

Couple of Wexford lads Chin and O’Keefe

Couple of Limerick lads Gillane and Sean Finn

Pat Horgan

Maybe 4 kk? Lawlor Parraig Walsh TJ Colin Fennelly

Six Tipp Brian Hogan, Ronan Maher, Brendan Maher, Noel McGrath, John O’Dwyer, Callanan

All stars off top of my head so probably missing someone obvious or have one from one line too many

• Advertisement

Hogan or no Hogan. Kilkenny were completely destroyed. They had no answers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Only seeing this now as I went out for dinner just after the second half started.
    Jeez the middle of an all Ireland hurling final you delve deep into my post history from 5 years ago. :pac: Quite sad really. Did you actually have nothing better to do?

Looking back on that post I was actually defending a Kilkenny player there which shows my unbiased.

To answer your question since about 2 to 3 years ago.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Callanan HOTY

Couple of Wexford lads Chin and O’Keefe

Couple of Limerick lads Gillane and Sean Finn

Pat Horgan

Maybe 4 kk? Lawlor Parraig Walsh TJ Colin Fennelly

Six Tipp Brian Hogan, Ronan Maher, Brendan Maher, Noel McGrath, John O’Dwyer, Callanan

All stars off top of my head so probably missing someone obvious or have one from one line too many

Agree with most of those except goalie. I’d say it will be Rowland from Laois. I’d have Quaid, Murphy, fanning all ahead of hogan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

What happened to RTEs rule of not having pundits who are from the counties that are playing??

Shefflin was completely biased and bitter. The rules of hurling are the rules of the game whether it's a dead rubber league game or the final of the all ireland. You can't just change the rules because it might make the game a better spectacle for neutrals or because the game might be ruined with a red card.

But I knew when the red card happened that Shefflin was never in a million years going to go against his buddies and say it was a deserved red.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

big_drive wrote: »
    Agree with most of those except goalie. I’d say it will be Rowland from Laois. I’d have Quaid, Murphy, fanning all ahead of hogan

What about eoin Murphy from Kilkenny?

RMAOK wrote: »
    What about eoin Murphy from Kilkenny?

I mentioned him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Shefflin embarrassed himself. Instead of asking why did Hogan make such a rash decision and get himself sent off and cost his team, he brought the integrity of the referee into question. Embarrassing and biased.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

Funny that the KK lads were laughing last week that Tipp lads are just full of excuses for defeats and all I see for last 3 pages was excuses.

Well done Tipp. Fair play to both teams and all players in the championship this year another great year of hurling.

Will our year ever come. From a frustrated Waterford man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Why do Sunday game pundits give out about referees not being consistent, and then when they apply the actual rules they say that they should apply common sense (i.e. ignore the rules to suit the situation).

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

Brian Hogan is a moral certainty to get the all star

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Think Murphy is the best goalkeeper in the country but think Hogan will probably get the All Star, despite puck out struggles early on today. No goals conceded in four out of eight championship games including All Ireland final is impressive, they like to share them around a bit I think too.

Murphy has conceded three goals in three games this year. Don’t think many of those were his fault but hard to say on face of it that it’s all star form.

• Advertisement
Advertisement