Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nest Hello Doorbell Install

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭micks_address

OU812 wrote: »
    Dis you guys use the existing old bell wire or do a rewire job?

Existing wire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭OU812

Think it'd be any better with a higher gauge wire?

Mine was heavy gauge already... Don't know gauges but stiff copper wire core

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

Probably not, it is the current that causes the voltage drop and issues with cable. As this is using a higher voltage transformer, the current should be lower and therefore the cable size should be fine.

The cable only powers the bell, so it should not have any impact.

Probably more important your wifi signal.

I was changing my wifi connection and I noticed there has been an update to the app. You can reconfigure the wifi network, without the previous procedure of disconnecting the camera, scanning the bar-code and resetting up the camera.

This is so much handier.

Note:- This only works for the Nest Hello, the other cameras need to scan the barcode :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

I want to contact you to report a loose cover on a water meter in my estate but there doesn't seem to be any easy way to do this on your site without having to wait a week for you to get back to me. I don't have an account with you so I can't contact via an account and it's not outside my own home. Had a nasty fall caused by this yesterday and if it's left the next person could have serious injuries. Who do I contact to have this repaired?

We will certainly follow up on this for you, if you can PM the following details:

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and we are very sorry to hear you experienced this.

My feedback though, it might be worth adding a section to your website that allows people to contact on issues like this as I live in a rented apartment, I have no account with IW myself so hard to contact you for this via your website. Not everyone has twitter or a boards account. And something like this should obviously be repaired with priority.

It's an easy fix to wire the chime in but it will be beside your fuse board once it's out in the hall your laughing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

Most transformers for doorbell are from 8 to 24v dc. And if the op needs a chime you could get any electrician to wire on beside your fuse board that's an easy fix

• Registered Users Posts: 1 teabot

I had no luck finding a chime at a suitable voltage in the UK so used a relay to trigger a different type of chime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭OU812

Anyone know if amazon are planning to sell the hello or is their purchase of ring going to stop that? Have a business account with them & could pick it up sans VAT which would be nice.

They seem to have no problem selli gmorber ring product competitors made by nest

• Advertisement

teabot wrote: »
    I had no luck finding a chime at a suitable voltage in the UK so used a relay to trigger a different type of chime.

I used a lower voltage chime and it was fine. I set the bell to ring it for one second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

I waited for the UK version to avoid all this ****, but now I'm reading a thread on reddit that says its the same - transformer needed, etc. Is that right? Surely not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭nigwerwig

I waited for the UK version to avoid all this ****, but now I'm reading a thread on reddit that says its the same - transformer needed, etc. Is that right? Surely not?

Looks that way

Why did you think it be any different? US uses 120v we use 230v.. Why would the euro version work on lower voltage?

Why did you think it be any different? US uses 120v we use 230v.. Why would the euro version work on lower voltage?

Because it's the UK version, being sold to the UK/European market?

Because it's the UK version, being sold to the UK/European market?

It's a low voltage device.. Always going to need a transformer

• Advertisement

It's a low voltage device.. Always going to need a transformer

There is nothing on Nest website or the box informing the customer that they need to purchase another 3rd party device to make it work (and this is the same market they are selling it into), what the device is, where to get it, etc etc. That's a problem, as is being highlighted by the numerous threads on Reddit and this extensive one, and one which will only grow now for Nest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,211 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

ring included a transformer with the ring pro, is this not the same no?

Cyrus wrote: »
    ring included a transformer with the ring pro, is this not the same no?

No nest don't supply the transformer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,655 ✭✭✭✭ted1

They added the heat link for the Euro market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭THE ALM

I see it is available on the argos.ie website, more expensive alright but might be of interest if somebody wanted a local outlet to purchase from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭RunDMC

Before you can buy the Hello from the Nest website, you have to check a box that says you understand the compatibility requirements. Anyone with the knowledge to carry out a self-install would be able to understand those requirement. If you don't understand them, you should get professional help to carry out the install.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Installed it , no probs, changed the transformer to the 24v 10va one and all is working fine, quick question - i have familiar faces recorded and named in the nest app from the hello but the google homes are just saying 'somebody' is at the front door, any ideas?

Moreilly wrote: »
    Installed it , no probs, changed the transformer to the 24v 10va one and all is working fine, quick question - i have familiar faces recorded and named in the nest app from the hello but the google homes are just saying 'somebody' is at the front door, any ideas?

Give it some time.. Mine behaved a little odd first day.. Also what are your Google voice language set to..

Give it some time.. Mine behaved a little odd first day.. Also what are your Google voice language set to..

Have you set on announcements

Have you set on announcements

announcements turned on and tried both us and uk voice, push notification to my phone shows the correct name of the person, but google homes are still saying 'somebody' is at the front door, tried removing and re-linking nest, no change. is it working for ye?

announcements turned on and tried both us and uk voice, push notification to my phone shows the correct name of the person, but google homes are still saying 'somebody' is at the front door, tried removing and re-linking nest, no change. is it working for ye?

Actually checked last night and it isn't. Definitely was at some point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

ordered then it was cancelled a few hours later. Waiting on support to get back to me. Anyone source a transformer here or all buying online from UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Any point in getting this if your front door faces onto the street?

Will there be too much noise for it to be any use?

ordered then it was cancelled a few hours later. Waiting on support to get back to me. Anyone source a transformer here or all buying online from UK?
    i got 3 orders cancelled, triggered some fraud thing on my card, eventually used a different card and it got dispatched

https://www.tme.eu/en/details/pss10_230_24v/safety-transformers/breve-tufvassons/?brutto=1&currency=EUR&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxtPYBRD6ARIsAKs1XJ5-hK3yZLmKkDB2S_wABqfrBqm_VRG4tpeaBswfzuph-pVPlXofPFIaArfbEALw_wcB for the transformer, had it in about 3 or 3 days, very fast

• Advertisement

Any point in getting this if your front door faces onto the street?

Will there be too much noise for it to be any use?

You can tailor the alerts. You can pick an area of the picture that it monitors for alerts. You can also turn off sound / dog barking alerts etc....

You can also zoom and move the picture so that it is more suitable.

It should be OK.

Anybody got this to cast the to a chromecast? have tried and seems not to work for me...

I stream it to a chromecast using a google home mini.

Hey Google stream front door camera to "chromecast name"

You can specify the chromecast if you have more than one.

Thanks for that. Ordered it. also turns out MasterCard blocked my card so nest cancelled the order.

Thanks for that. Ordered it. also turns out MasterCard blocked my card so nest cancelled the order.
    i have about a 40ft cable run and the nest is showing 23.2 volts with it, working fine, easily swapped out the 8v one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭nigwerwig

So is there much point of this if you don't get the nest aware. What do you not get if you don't sign up? I really don't want another bill

nigwerwig wrote: »
    So is there much point of this if you don't get the nest aware. What do you not get if you don't sign up? I really don't want another bill

For convenience might be worth it. Without nest Aware not being able to see any history is a big loss.. I dont think it does face recognition without a subscription either

For convenience might be worth it. Without nest Aware not being able to see any history is a big loss.. I dont think it does face recognition without a subscription either
    +1 really think it wouldn't be much use without nest aware, im going to go for the new €5 a month plan when the trial runs out, i think it covers 5 day history which is plenty

+1 really think it wouldn't be much use without nest aware, im going to go for the new €5 a month plan when the trial runs out, i think it covers 5 day history which is plenty

Yep 5 day is what I went for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭garion

Got mine installed last week and so far I'm really happy with it.

One question for those who have it already installed. I've turned off the sound notifications as I was getting hundreds a day, mostly at dawn when the birds started singing!

However, I now don't seem to be able to have a 2-way chat with someone at the door after a bell ring. I can talk to them but I can't hear their responses. Any way to enable the 2-way chat after a bell ring while also not having the microphone on constantly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭RunDMC

In the settings page in the app, you can go to notifications and switch off "Sounds", then go to the "Microphone" section and switch on Microphone and Audio recording.

This will do what you want to do.

R

i have about a 40ft cable run and the nest is showing 23.2 volts with it, working fine, easily swapped out the 8v one

Quick question. Transformer arrived today, would it do harm to install it now before the Nest?

Nevermind, probably best I get expert advice. Just discovered the fire alarms are wired up to the same unit.

Quick question. Transformer arrived today, would it do harm to install it now before the Nest?

Nevermind, probably best I get expert advice. Just discovered the fire alarms are wired up to the same unit.
    you will probably end up having to add the new transformer to your consumer unit rather than replace the existing one if your smoke alarms are wired into the existing one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Finally got around to installing yesterday. I have two chimes, so was worried I'd have issues as the doorbell only comes with one chime connector. I installed that on the first chime down stairs and all seems to work fine. The most annoying thing is trying to get the cover back on the chime with all the additional wires!
    I had to also upgrade the bell transformer from 8v to 24v , used this one from Amazon from an earlier post and works without issues and fits exactly on the DIN rail as the previous one did.

Very happy with it overall, messing around with timelapse clips is fun.
    Next to try some IFTTT integration

Just got mine installled. First impressions are good. It works well.

Am I right in saying no IFTT integration yet. Would be nice to have a light come on when the bell is pressed.

Also would be nice to be able to record your own responses. Like when it sees the junk mail chap, tell him "no thanks" :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Just got mine installled. First impressions are good. It works well.

Am I right in saying no IFTT integration yet. Would be nice to have a light come on when the bell is pressed.

Also would be nice to be able to record your own responses. Like when it sees the junk mail chap, tell him "no thanks" :)

For IFTTT, it does have motion and sound triggers that work, but no bell push.
    I created one that turns lights on when it detects motion, but its a bit too loose.
    I use zones and would prefer to restrict it to specific zones + person detection otherwise its going off too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭corvus4906

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nest-hello-smart-wi-fi-video-doorbell/6172796.p?skuId=6172796

After currency conversion and (Californian) sales tax, this works out at 187.37euro.... and comes with a free Google Home Mini which is worth about 50euro.

I just bought it and a colleague is bringing it back for me from the states. I'll sell the Google Home Mini for 40Euro... meaning I'll get the Doorbell fur just under 150 quid. Compared to 280 here it's a no-brainer if you can organise it.

Crazy the identical Nest Doorbell is 280Euro on it's own here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Zane97

dingding wrote: »
    Normally the transformer is fitted in the fuse board and it just clips out and the replacement clips in.

Your one is a bit different in that the transformer is included in the bell housing.

Also be careful as the brown wire on the bottom left may have an exposed live conductor. Hard to be clear from the picture.

It might be best to get it done professionally.

Electrician said he will fit a new one in fusboard instead of the current one in the door chime. I was talking to him on the phone about this.

It that a viable option before I buy one?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

corvus4906 wrote: »
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nest-hello-smart-wi-fi-video-doorbell/6172796.p?skuId=6172796

After currency conversion and (Californian) sales tax, this works out at 187.37euro.... and comes with a free Google Home Mini which is worth about 50euro.

I just bought it and a colleague is bringing it back for me from the states. I'll sell the Google Home Mini for 40Euro... meaning I'll get the Doorbell fur just under 150 quid. Compared to 280 here it's a no-brainer if you can organise it.

Crazy the identical Nest Doorbell is 280Euro on it's own here in Ireland.

This is a 4th of July special offer I'd imagine in the US. The Nest Thermostat is also on offer over there. I'm right in saying that the thermostat over there is missing something to work here, right?

I'm hoping we'll see some offers this side of the pond from Google in the run up to Amazon Prime Day too.

I'm looking to pick up a doorbell and a thermostat. If there's no sign of an offer on the doorbell, I'm going to order in the US. Won't get it until later in the year though if I do as nobody is coming over until October.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Is there any difference between the US version and the EU version?
    Not a bad deal stateside.

• Advertisement
Advertisement