Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nest Hello Doorbell Install

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

To be honest between the app on your phone and the speakers there's no need to have a chime anymore, if it wasn't for the fact that I already had 1 I wouldn't bother with it, if I had my time over again I don't think I'd have bothered upgrading the transformer.

By the way, I think the bell/speakers will work on the local wifi network so you just have to worry about the local wifi going down rather than your internet connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Clareman wrote: »
    To be honest between the app on your phone and the speakers there's no need to have a chime anymore, if it wasn't for the fact that I already had 1 I wouldn't bother with it, if I had my time over again I don't think I'd have bothered upgrading the transformer.

By the way, I think the bell/speakers will work on the local wifi network so you just have to worry about the local wifi going down rather than your internet connection.

I have nest hello, googles homes around then house but haven't upgraded the transformer yet, but here's why I want to.

I noticed a delivery man out side the house one day, opened the door and got my package. 5 minutes later the "doorbell" rang, video showed the delivery man who was long gone, it was a very delayed notification & ring.

I'd be keen to upgrade the transformer to have an old school working bell to avoid issues like this going forward.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Yes I have a google home also. I'm just thinking of those rare times when the WIFI goes down.

Unless this is a very frequent occurrence I would let them simply knock on the door or ring you.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    I have nest hello, googles homes around then house but haven't upgraded the transformer yet, but here's why I want to.

I noticed a delivery man out side the house one day, opened the door and got my package. 5 minutes later the "doorbell" rang, video showed the delivery man who was long gone, it was a very delayed notification & ring.

I'd be keen to upgrade the transformer to have an old school working bell to avoid issues like this going forward.

This issue is not related to the transformer.

I have Nest Hello also but have never experienced delays like that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've never had a delay like that, very strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭RunDMC

When I first got the Nest Hello, I hooked it up with the old 12-volt transformer. It connected to the WiFi and seemed to work fine. However, over the first few weeks I noticed that there were drop-outs and delays, but it never complained about low voltage. I decided to replace the transformer with a 24-volt one and it's been rock-solid ever since. My recommendation to anyone who experiences sub-par performance is to make sure you're getting the required 18-24v to the Nest Hello.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

2011 wrote: »
    This issue is not related to the transformer.

I have Nest Hello also but have never experienced delays like that.

Not suggesting it's related to the transformer.

If my old traditional bell rang when the someones presses the doorbell it would over come this, and other wifi issues. It would be no harm to have this as a "backup"

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    Not suggesting it's related to the transformer.

Ok, sorry I misunderstood.
    If my old traditional bell rang when the someones presses the doorbell it would over come this

True, however I don’t think this issue is experienced by many. Perhaps it is related to poor broadband speed?

Edit: It takes less than 2 seconds in my house to get a notification that the doorbell has been pressed.
    and other wifi issues. It would be no harm to have this as a "backup"

Yes but I would see poor WiFi as something that has to be dealt with even if I didn’t have a video doorbell. If it were my house I would not tolerate poor WiFi coverage for any IoT devices or for surfing the internet. This would make the chime requirement redundant for me.

On another note a 24V transformer will help with WiFi connectivity as the receiver will have maximum power.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I have delays like that on my phone. And if I'm not near a home I might miss the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I have delays like that on my phone. And if I'm not near a home I might miss the door.

I'm the same. I put it down to issues with the App, rather than the hardware. A notification could pop up to say someone was spotted at the door 5 minutes ago. I contacted support and did a full uninstall and reinstall of both the app and camera, but to no avail. I think the app is going into hibernation mode on my phone and although I've tried, I can't rectify it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

pigtail33 wrote: »
    I'm the same. I put it down to issues with the App, rather than the hardware. A notification could pop up to say someone was spotted at the door 5 minutes ago. I contacted support and did a full uninstall and reinstall of both the app and camera, but to no avail. I think the app is going into hibernation mode on my phone and although I've tried, I can't rectify it.

If you're on Android make sure "Don't optimise" is set. App Info -> Advanced ->Battery optimisation -> Don't optimise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭pigtail33

54and56 wrote: »
    If you're on Android make sure "Don't optimise" is set. App Info -> Advanced ->Battery optimisation -> Don't optimise.

Thank you. The app was set to be optimised, so hopefully that will resolve the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

pigtail33 wrote: »
    Thank you. The app was set to be optimised, so hopefully that will resolve the issue.

Do this for any app where time sensitive notifications or updates etc are important to you.

Not really an install question, more an operation question, does anyone know if you can schedule the quiet time? according to this link you can't but someone here might have a different answer, hopefully

https://support.google.com/googlenest/thread/11003315?hl=en

Not really an install question, more an operation question, does anyone know if you can schedule the quiet time?

Yes.

Yes.

I bet you don't :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Looks like installation of these is very simple so I would like to have a go.

The alarm and smoke alarm are on the same switch on my fuse board will this be an issue for powering any of these devices? Once I switch the fuse off, I'm guessing that cuts power to both doorbell and chime? I haven't looked at the chime yet but the list says 12v.

Aside from turning off the doorbell fuse is there anything else I should do to be safe?

xWKNqBt.jpg

tuiwtvd.jpg

DaveyDave wrote: »

The alarm and smoke alarm are on the same switch on my fuse board will this be an issue for powering any of these devices? Once I switch the fuse off, I'm guessing that cuts power to both doorbell and chime? I haven't looked at the chime yet but the list says 12v.

Aside from turning off the doorbell fuse is there anything else I should do to be safe?

I'm not sure about the rules about giving electrical advice on boards, but I don't think there would be a problem, personally when doing ANYTHING like this I have a good tester pen, something like this, major overkill I know but electricity could kill you so better overkill than kill. I also like to err on the side of caution and turn off the main circuit to the house, just in case. As I said probably way too over cautious but I got a bang once when changing a timer on the heating system and swore never again to chance it.

Got it installed and setup last night. Took far too long. My chime box is numbered 0 1 2 3 and I wasn't sure which cable was which, Nest's instructions and a lot of online posts didn't help. After a lot of browsing and watching videos I found a post on their forum, Nest do have an EU wiring diagram which is exactly what I needed.

Fitting the doorbell was tricky as my door is recessed leaving little room to get the wires on the doorbell and the wire comes from the side so I couldn't use the extensions and tuck them in.

The wall outside the door is obscuring the view a little which isn't a big deal but the night vision is bouncing off the wall leaving the actual view a little darker than it should be. I'll need to get some sort of spacer, hopefully it won't look too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭pete4pool

Hi, sorry if this was already answered, I've searched throughan pretty sure it hasn't been.
    Looking to get a nest hello. But my chime has a bulit in transformer of 8v. Built in meaning the chime takes the mains 230v and I don't have a transformer on the din rail.
    Seen a few built in transformer chimes, but most don't say what the output V is.
    Anyone recommend a chime with built in transformer that will give 16v or even 12?

Adding a tranformer to the din rain I think will add alot of work as the circuit board which for doorbell is also for smoke alarms.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

pete4pool wrote: »
    Hi, sorry if this was already answered, I've searched throughan pretty sure it hasn't been.
    Looking to get a nest hello. But my chime has a bulit in transformer of 8v. Built in meaning the chime takes the mains 230v and I don't have a transformer on the din rail.
    Seen a few built in transformer chimes, but most don't say what the output V is.
    Anyone recommend a chime with built in transformer that will give 16v or even 12?

Adding a tranformer to the din rain I think will add alot of work as the circuit board which for doorbell is also for smoke alarms.

Thanks.

I really wouldn't bother with a chime to be honest, setup a Nest Mini to work as the chime and you'll be grand, I changed the transformer when I installed mine but I wouldn't bother now.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭pete4pool

I really wouldn't bother with a chime to be honest, setup a Nest Mini to work as the chime and you'll be grand, I changed the transformer when I installed mine but I wouldn't bother now.

Ok, but where do you suggest that I install the transformer.
    Maybe where the chime is not and use the box?
    Remember that I have 230v cable running from switch box to the chime and the thin 8v cable from chime to door bell. And also door bell and smoke alarm on same switch on the board. I think adding the transformer to the din rail will be messy as I'l have to run another cable or join 2 cables which are completely different size.

pete4pool wrote: »
    Ok, but where do you suggest that I install the transformer.
    Maybe where the chime is not and use the box?
    Remember that I have 230v cable running from switch box to the chime and the thin 8v cable from chime to door bell. And also door bell and smoke alarm on same switch on the board. I think adding the transformer to the din rail will be messy as I'l have to run another cable or join 2 cables which are completely different size.

You're in electrician territory now I think. The thin cable to the doorbell is fine, that's what the Nest will get it's power off, if there isn't enough power getting to the Nest then it won't work, would you be able to put a meter on your existing doorbell to see what's getting to it to see if it's enough to power the Nest???

In my house, the chime is connected directly to the fusebox which has the transformer in it, I had to change the transformer to get the chime to work, it's a straight forward swop out, once I did it everything worked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I was just about to purchase a Ring Gen 2 and went out to measure my doorframe against a template I made up. Door frame is 35mm wide and the doorbell is 62.6mm wide, they're huge!

Not massively keen on mounting it on the wall as it'll stick out onto the street but curious to know what other people have done in this situation?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

I was just about to purchase a Ring Gen 2 and went out to measure my doorframe against a template I made up. Door frame is 35mm wide and the doorbell is 62.6mm wide, they're huge!

Not massively keen on mounting it on the wall as it'll stick out onto the street but curious to know what other people have done in this situation?

Thanks!

I have it on the wall beside the door with a wedge kit to have it at a slight angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Crowirl

xWKNqBt.jpg

tuiwtvd.jpg

My setup is exactly the same as yours! Did you change it to 24v and if so did it impact the smoke alarms at all?

Crowirl wrote: »
    My setup is exactly the same as yours! Did you change it to 24v and if so did it impact the smoke alarms at all?

No I didn't change anything, not sure if the smoke alarms were affected at all but we have since got an alarm installed and that works fine so I'm guessing everything is ok, although it's probably best I double check them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Crowirl

No I didn't change anything, not sure if the smoke alarms were affected at all but we have since got an alarm installed and that works fine so I'm guessing everything is ok, although it's probably best I double check them.

Alarm should be on a separate circuit I guess. My biggest concern is doing something which might cause a fire and then having fried the smoke alarms 🀣

If you could test them that would be deadly ðŸ‘

As an electrical engineer and qualified electrician my advice would be that you shouldn’t work on a distribution board unless you know exactly what you are doing. Apart from the shock risk fiddling about can result in the board becoming a fire hazard. No offense intended.

• Advertisement

As an electrical engineer and qualified electrician my advice would be that you shouldn’t work on a distribution board unless you know exactly what you are doing. Apart from the shock risk fiddling about can result in the board becoming a fire hazard. No offense intended.

This +100000, also, if you do have a fire you may void your home insurance.

Advertisement