Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

11 Ulster men in that team, were they trying to be equitable to each province as much as possible or was that genuinely the strongest selection available?

There is a pretty huge disparity there, not just in terms of breakthrough to professional rugby - but breakthrough to international rugby also.

Wonder how much of a blip this was.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

awec wrote: »
    11 Ulster men in that team, were they trying to be equitable to each province as much as possible or was that genuinely the strongest selection available?
    equal to each province.

Given how many of that 11 have had international careers in comparison to the Leinster selection it would almost suggest that Ulster should have had more!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I was at that game.

If anything the scoreline flattered the Munster/Connacht selection , they were appallingly outmatched

Biggest cheer of the day was when security dragged some tool with a Vuvuzela out of the ground from the Lansdowne Rd end.

• Advertisement

Given how many of that 11 have had international careers in comparison to the Leinster selection it would almost suggest that Ulster should have had more!
    Connacht had a few who had decent pro careers but Munster age group for this year was just really really poor

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Johnny Holland stands out from a Munster perspective. For a half season period he showed excellent promise with Munster before injury forced his retirement.

Shane Buckley looked decent in some early season league matches for Munster but then faded from view, due to injuries I think.

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Probably a reflection on the quality of team that these lads were trying to break in to, Leinster 2010 vs Ulster 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

IIRC Luke Marshall had a stormer. Was utterly convinced that he'd be D'Arcy's long term successor for Ireland. He ended up a decent player, but never got to that world class level.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Clegg wrote: »
    IIRC Luke Marshall had a stormer. Was utterly convinced that he'd be D'Arcy's long term successor for Ireland. He ended up a decent player, but never got to that world class level.

To be fair to him, I think he's still getting better.

Obviously not Darcy, but his little kicking game has improved. Still liable to absolutely sling it into touch though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I was at that game.

If anything the scoreline flattered the Munster/Connacht selection , they were appallingly outmatched

One of the last matches I went to with my aul lad actually. I'd forgotten that match entirely until now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

It's actually surprising how few of them went on to have proper pro careers.

Take out Gilroy, Marshall, Jackson and Henderson and it's basically none of them. James Tracy and Dave Heffernan did OK once they moved positions.

Edit; and Marty Moore, in fairness.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Take out Gilroy, Marshall, Jackson and Henderson and it's basically none of them. James Tracy and Dave Heffernan did OK once they moved positions.

Johnny Holland as well, but for injury. It does seem like quite a low cohort tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Marshall was head and shoulders above everyone that day with only Jackson looking like he was playing the same game. They absolutely tore the opposition apart. Cathal Marsh actually looked very decent off the bench.

Henderson was the pick up front unsurprisingly but the Leinster/Ulster pack were generally just cohesive and won the set piece without breaking sweat. The scrums were very lopsided.

There was a bit of hype around the Connacht/Munster back row in advance but they simply didn't get near the pace. The final score was a bit mad; 68-0 and it wasn't a harsh reflection.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'd have thought 7 full senior internationals from an U20 crop is an excellent return even if some were just peripheral players?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Buer wrote: »
    I'd have thought 7 full senior internationals from an U20 crop is an excellent return even if some were just peripheral players?

Well, yes and no. That Ulster crop was outstanding so it skews it a bit.

If you looked at it a different way and said that of the 33 U20 players from Leinster, Munster and Connacht, that ten years later they would have one international test start between them all, and 80% wouldn't even be playing pro rugby any more, I don't think it would have gone down well.

Well, yes and no. That Ulster crop was outstanding so it skews it a bit.

If you looked at it a different way and said that of the 33 U20 players from Leinster, Munster and Connacht, that ten years later they would have one international test start between them all, and 80% wouldn't even be playing pro rugby any more, I don't think it would have gone down well.
    But if you look at the under 20 inter pro squads from other years it would be similar. No?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭bilston

That was a strong year for Ulster.

And it could have been better, the No.6 that day Stephen Leckey was a quality player but I think was lost to Uni in Scotland (may have been more to it, not sure).

Connacht had a few who had decent pro careers but Munster age group for this year was just really really poor

Was Hanrahan not that age group? Or a year younger?

Clegg wrote: »

He was excellent in that series in South Africa back in 2016.

But injuries and probably more importantly a poor passing game have cost him. Although since he has moved to 13 he has been excellent for Ulster. The Ireland ship may have sailed though, and even at Ulster with Stewart Moore coming through he is going to have his work cut out staying in the side

• Advertisement

bilston wrote: »
    Was Hanrahan not that age group? Or a year younger?
    same age group.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,176 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

• Registered Users Posts: 11,176 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Could easily happen here

Players on training camp in South Of France is daft. Seems a bit silly to take players away like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

England is scrapping its sevens program due to Covid a year out from the Olympics

• Subscribers Posts: 41,076 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Montpellier fined pittance after being found guilty of breaking salary cap.

Very much different response by the French when compared to the sarries situation

• Subscribers Posts: 41,076 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Bridge93 wrote: »
    England is scrapping its sevens program due to Covid a year out from the Olympics

Strong possibility it would have been a GB team, and I wouldn't yet be surprised if it turns out to be

World rugby delaying the move to 5 years residency for qualification for a year due to Covid. Will still be three years for anyone who begins residency for the next year.

World rugby delaying the move to 5 years residency for qualification for a year due to Covid. Will still be three years for anyone who begins residency for the next year.

That is really bizarre. How is that related to covid at all. Players who were planning on moving to benefit from the rule?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That is really bizarre. How is that related to covid at all. Players who were planning on moving to benefit from the rule?

That makes no Rugby sense at all.

In some ways , maybe the view is that he market place has tightened up so much that Clubs might struggle financially to commit to "project" player for a 5 year contract , but so what?

I thought the whole point of the change was to limit the "mercenary" contracts in favour of genuine legitimate moves?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement