Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I've always been curious abut the terms, outhalf, flyhalf, 2nd 5 8..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_five-eighths

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

61BpWiO.jpg

In true Saracens fashion, they then blocked the responder.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Lions tour going ahead in less than 12 months. Possibly a bit early to be making plans?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I don't love that schedule. No game in Bloomfontein and no game for the (other) Lions is a bit weird.

Playing two tests in the same city isn't great.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Happened last time too. First and third tests were in Eden Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Tactical by South Africa no? Both being played at altitude.

Happened last time too. First and third tests were in Eden Park.

Fair point, but SA have a wider range of large stadia at their disposal.

Edit: I didn't think of the altitude question...

Covid surging in South Africa - can't see rugby returning there for the time being. This makes for fairly despairing reading: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-53396057

• Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Covid surging in South Africa - can't see rugby returning there for the time being. This makes for fairly despairing reading: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-53396057

Yeah, I can't see too many people booking their trip yet, although I suppose the vast majority will already have booked a year ago.

• Advertisement

Some vaccine studies sound promising but I doubt they will be widely distributed in less than 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

They’re in different stadiums atleast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

South Africa might well have no rugby til 2022. i would be shocked if a Lions tour was feasible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

South Africa might well have no rugby til 2022. i would be shocked if a Lions tour was feasible.

They're not going to call it off a year out though. 12 months is a long time.

Lions2021_Itiner.png

It's a tempting trip if everything is safe by then. My concern would be a low uptake of tickets due to economic/travel factors. You'd hate to travel over only to be sat in half-full grounds! While I won't bemoan the lack of midweek games sitting on my couch, a Tuesday game in between the test weekends would have been a bonus as a travelling fan.

With only two midweek games and eight games overall I imagine the squad number will be a few less and there won't be a need for a tackle bag callup either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Seems tight to get the season finished by the end of June next year. I wouldn’t be at all confident of this happening as planned.

2 'B' sides and no Lions.

Would be a great trip but I can't right now see it going ahead. Plenty can change between now and then but right now it's a pipe dream.

hahashake wrote: »
    2 'B' sides and no Lions.

No Kings or Cheetahs despite their partnership with the Pro14 unions! The Lions are even playing in Port Elizabeth but against a thrown together 'invitational' side...

• Administrators Posts: 53,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If you were thinking of going for the test games I'd spend the majority of time around Cape Town and the Western Cape and only go to Johannesburg for matches.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    If you were thinking of going for the test games I'd spend the majority of time around Cape Town and the Western Cape and only go to Johannesburg for matches.

Test 1 & 2 or 2 & 3 might be the best short trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I wouldn’t book flights on their own though, there has to be a good chance of dates moving at the very least, this is one trip you’d want to be on a package deal. Especially booking well in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Drove from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth ahead of Leinster's first match against the Kings back in 2017. The road is called the Garden route and it is class. Loads of vineyards, elephant parks, restaurants. Bit of history and some adventure stuff too. We went gorge kayaking and bungee jumping.

Yea we did the Garden Route for our honeymoon, drove from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth and a small bit beyond for safari. Generally, the Western Cape is where the wine is and the Eastern Cape is where the safari is (aside from Kruger).

Port Elizabeth itself has absolutely nothing in it, it's not touristy in the slightest.

Logistically doing test 1+2 or test 2+3 would be straightforward, there's major international airports in both Cape Town and Joburg.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

NZ Rugby have confirmed they are working towards a 8-10 team competition containing Australian teams along with a possible Pacific side.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

NZ Rugby have confirmed they are working towards a 8-10 team competition containing Australian teams along with a possible Pacific side.

Wow, no SA!? Is that essentially confirmation that SA are going north or is it a temporary Covid related thing? Not sure how much revenue there is to be had in that...

• Subscribers Posts: 41,060 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

molloyjh wrote: »
    Wow, no SA!? Is that essentially confirmation that SA are going north or is it a temporary Covid related thing? Not sure how much revenue there is to be had in that...

The possibilities of bokke teams playing on the Celtic league took a major step forward with today's announcement.

Essentially NZ and aus are gong ahead with their own version of super rugby

It's not massively surprising. I think the time zone thing makes it difficult for the competition to get good tv viewer numbers.

• Advertisement

This was bound to happen sooner or later, COVID made the decision irresistible. Will be interesting to see the developments in the next 6 months.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement