Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek Discovery ***Season 2*** [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I took it as a nod or hint towards The Motion Picture: IIRC Spock had a psychic connection with that particular 'giant disembodied intelligence', so perhaps that's where they're drawing inspiration from.

Sure, the huge anomaly could be something else, but if Season2 is trying to lean more towards traditional Trek, you can't get more traditional than the misunderstood intelligence beyond our norms of sentience / sapience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Evade

I wasn't a fan of the two war veteran bridge crew acting like panicked inexperienced cadets.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

To be fair, the trailer could be taking the joke out of context, snipping it for brevity etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Netflix trailer uses a different tune. Less jarring / distracting than the Lenny Kravitz –

• Registered Users Posts: 28,714 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Evade wrote: »
    I wasn't a fan of the two war veteran bridge crew acting like panicked inexperienced cadets.
    pixelburp wrote: »
    To be fair, the trailer could be taking the joke out of context, snipping it for brevity etc.

The problem here is that it's even more obvious that the humor has been shoe-horned in because they're using existing characters we saw last season who didn't behave like that - granted, most of the cast last year were little more than extras, but still..

• Advertisement

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    The problem here is that it's even more obvious that the humor has been shoe-horned in because they're using existing characters we saw last season who didn't behave like that - granted, most of the cast last year were little more than extras, but still..
    Exactly. That kind of thing could work with fresh faced ensigns, cadets, or crewman, like the two engineers in DS9's Starship Down, but two characters we've seen behave competently for at least a year of wartime service, just no.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

“We are, we are casting a new Spock,” Kurzman said. “It’s not just a possibility, it’s been done.”

Kurtzman did not reveal who the new Spock actor is, but he did elaborate a bit on the challenges of casting a the iconic character.

http://comicbook.com/startrek/amp/2018/07/22/star-trek-discovery-spock-actor-cast/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭Inviere

Ah, would have loved to see Quinto in the role.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Yeah, but ... season 1 like. It was such a mess :D Unless they do a full 180 on a character, I can forgive some retrofitting on what were otherwise empty vessels anyway.

The only thing I could tell you about either of those crew-members is the redhead was on the Shenzhou and resented Burnham for about 30 seconds. That's about it, bar the occasional reaction shot when some drama happened. Turning them into a comedy duo actually feels like a good idea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭jmcc

Seems to be an attempt at a reboot with a central Kirk-like character as captain. But will it be able to capture the dynamics of the ST series with the core of characters (Kirk/Spock/McCoy/Scott, Picard/Riker/Troi,Worf/LaForge/Q) that drives each series?

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I read that they will be using season 2 to comnect season 1 into canon. Try to match it up. Its one of the reasons they said there wouldnt be a female Spock. Its not a reboot but following canon.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,642 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »

Better not be true or all that talk of matching canon is BS.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭blazard

fritzelly wrote: »
    Well that trailer has just got me super excited for season 2!

Loving the retro throwback with the uniforms

agreed, season one was fantastic,

whos gonna die next?
    is he/she bad?

loved it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

no borg please i'm fed up of them

Jaysus. Silly season begins in earnest. It's an indistinct blur, good luck to anyone trying to divine truth from that - the chat from the 2 artists just sounds like some professional spitballing over a classic villain & how one might do any update / downgrade. Shame on a newspaper dredging through Reddit for some articles though

• Registered Users Posts: 15,642 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Slightly off topic but I think most in here will be interested to know. Brent Spinners new gig.

https://www.tvguide.com/news/star-trek-brent-spiner-supergirl-season-4/

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but I think most in here will be interested to know. Brent Spinners new gig.

https://www.tvguide.com/news/star-trek-brent-spiner-supergirl-season-4/

I thought he was a stunt double for Mark Zuckerberg?

2018%2F04%2F11%2Fdc%2Fae0b80dad7c04d8f954f82a75f2013dd.d1277.png

Its one of the reasons they said there wouldnt be a female Spock.

A female Spock? First I’ve heard of it, was it actually a thing?

Inviere wrote: »
    A female Spock? First I’ve heard of it, was it actually a thing?

It was suggested by some group and Alex had commented on it. The argument was that The Doctor (Doctor Who) could change, why not Spock

• Advertisement

It was suggested by some group and Alex had commented on it. The argument was that The Doctor (Doctor Who) could change, why not Spock

Gender politics, sigh. Instead of piggy backing on the great name of Spock to promote diversity, why not just create a strong female lead who can carve out her own slice of greatness? There have been several great female characters in Trek, Seven springs to mind. Naturally she can overlooked because of her physical attributes, but she owned every scene she was in, was brilliantly acted by Jeri Ryan, and took the show to a new high. We don’t need namesakes to promote women, race, or culture, we need damn good writing and damn good performers.

As an aside, I think Burnham is brilliant. Really really enjoying the character and show.

Inviere wrote: »
    Gender politics, sigh. Instead of piggy backing on the great name of Spock to promote diversity, why not just create a strong female lead who can carve out her own slice of greatness?
    Because no one can agree on what that means.

Seven was good, but id think Janeway and Kira Nerys were very strong good female roles. Particularly Kira.

This is literally the first I've heard of the female Spock thing, it sounds utterly moronic. Whoever floated it mustn't have had a clue about the franchise. And I'm perfectly happy with the Doctor being female.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The argument was that The Doctor (Doctor Who) could change, why not Spock

Ah, i was going to go on a rant about that being the stupidest thing i've heard in ages, but it's not worth it :pac:

pixelburp wrote: »
    This is literally the first I've heard of the female Spock thing, it sounds utterly moronic. Whoever floated it mustn't have had a clue about the franchise. And I'm perfectly happy with the Doctor being female.

Already calls for the new Buffy to be male, black and gay.

You cant win these days. Lets just let people make good tv.

I'd say that's almost certainly a trollish response to the "it's time we had a female/black/etc James Bond (or any character that has so far been portrayed as a male of mostly Europaen descent)" crowd.

There was confusion about this: they're making a sequel show to Buffy and yes, the main character will be black.

A lot fictions authors have preconceived desires or preference with casting. It's all made up after all, ethnicities, gende, orientation do tend to be deliberate choices one way or another

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

idris elba would be awesome as james bond. cos he's cool

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    idris elba would be awesome as james bond. cos he's cool
    Not to get too far into this topic but the solution to this is so obvious, there are other 00 agents that are as just capable as Bond. Introduce them in a cameo scene the next film and have Bond be missing or presumed dead at the end so they can take over the franchise for a while.

Advertisement