Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Will you taking the talked about rushed September vaccine?
Yes 416 36.81%
No 166 14.69%
I'll wait upto 6 months after to see if there's side effects 275 24.34%
I'll wait 12 months after to be on the safe side 149 13.19%
I won't be taking any Covid vaccine ever 124 10.97%
Voters: 1130. You may not vote on this poll

Yesterday, 23:21   #7486
Woody79

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobefrank321 View Post
I just feel once I get one of the highly effective vaccines and a couple elderly relatives and a few more people I know get it, that's me done with covid and after that I don't care who gets the vaccine.

If someone refuses the vaccine and gets a bad dose of covid they won't be getting sympathy from me and if they are the cause of ongoing restrictions no sympathy from anyone.
Just said the above today to my father in law. I agree with you 100 percent. I would take any of these vaccines now just to get back to things without feeling guilty etc.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
Yesterday, 23:22   #7487
leahyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmm View Post
So far Dr Fauci and Scott Gottlieb have been the best at predicting what is going to happen as regards treatments and vaccines. Not overly optimistic, not too pessimistic - we're better off listening to them I think at least on the treatment/vaccine side. I'm not sure about the Oxford people, they are yet to prove themselves although they do appear to have delivered a vaccine. Pfizer & their CEO have also done a great job at communicating.

Perhaps there has been an extreme stroke of luck with really effective vaccines, but the timelines they predicted were correct & I'd listen to them before I'd listen to anything on Irish media.
Was just reading about Fauci in Wiki - he has some CV! Yeah...think I’ll be listening to him over Sam McConkey!
Yesterday, 23:23   #7488
hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominatinMC View Post
but then he speculated that the vaccine might not work as it might not be as effective on older groups. That's a whole lot of conjecture. One could just as easily construe the argument to say the vaccine might be incredibly effective as it might work on older demographics also.
We know from the Moderna data today that 33 of the 196 total infections (11 in the vaccinated group) were in the over 55s. It might not be 95% effective in older groups, but the data clearly indicates that older people are at least getting some protection.
Yesterday, 23:24   #7489
Woody79

Quote:
We know from the Moderna data today that 33 of the 196 total infections (11 in the vaccinated group) were in the over 55s. It might not be 95% effective in older groups, but the data clearly indicates that older people are at least getting some protection.
Vaccine news couldn't be any better. Take Mcconkey with a large pinch of salt.
Yesterday, 23:25   #7490
wes

Quote:
Also, they will be protected by herd immunity. If a younger person who is out and about a lot more than an older person doesn't get infected in the first place, they can't pass it on to an older person.
Advertisement
Yesterday, 23:27   #7491
Klonker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes View Post
The vaccine is what will enable us to get back to normal. The rollout to get to herd immunity will take a while. I reckon this time next year, we should have pretty much all restrictions lifted.

The big question is how fast can we get people vaccinate to achieve herd immunity.
I'd expect us to be back to some form of normality by the summer, though possibly not concerts/nightclubs and packed stadiums. Once the most vulnerable and healthcare staff get vaccinated, the death and hospital numbers should plummet. Who cares if we have 5000 cases a day if deaths and hospital cases are low. Obviously we keep vacinating until get herd immunity but we should be well opened up before then.
Thanks from:
Yesterday, 23:29   #7492
hmmm

Thanks from:
Yesterday, 23:39   #7493
hmmm

You'd never guess this guy was a retired General Watch his answer to the question at 1.10

Yesterday, 23:54   #7494
Redordeadqwwer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daydorunrun View Post
We are doing the same- kids finishing school on the Friday before Christmas, isolating as a family for a week and getting tested the day before Christmas Eve before making a bubble with elderly parents for Christmas. We know it’s not bullet proof but there will be hugs and no plastic cutlery!
We are using the drive in facility at the airport.
Can anyone drive in or do you have to be referred? Do I have to book an appointment?

Off topic I know but would like to get a test prior to Xmas day.
Advertisement
Today, 00:00   #7495
Gael23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redordeadqwwer View Post
Can anyone drive in or do you have to be referred? Do I have to book an appointment?

Off topic I know but would like to get a test prior to Xmas day.
No you have to make an appointment but you don’t need a GP referral or anything.

Feel really downbeat after watching Tony Holohan. I’m part of club that usually meets as a group of 200 every year, I don’t see us ever meeting in person again.
Today, 00:07   #7496
wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klonker View Post
I'd expect us to be back to some form of normality by the summer, though possibly not concerts/nightclubs and packed stadiums. Once the most vulnerable and healthcare staff get vaccinated, the death and hospital numbers should plummet. Who cares if we have 5000 cases a day if deaths and hospital cases are low. Obviously we keep vacinating until get herd immunity but we should be well opened up before then.
I think it would be foolish to let things get to 5000 cases a day, as we may start to see issues if things get to that level. Waiting a couple more months to achieve herd immunity is imo a no brainer.
Today, 00:09   #7497
El Sueño

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahyl View Post
What is McConkeys agenda? Cos he must have one spouting that rubbish. I’m just really sick of hearing these so called experts taking every opportunity to bring down anything positive and especially something like this - 2 vaccines with 95% efficacy and he’s saying that they may not be all they are cracked up to be....makes my blood boil.

At this stage I assume his only agenda is to stay relevant for as long as possible. He knows that once this is all over he'll go back to complete obscurity where he belongs.
(2) thanks from:
Today, 01:19   #7498
astrofool

Important thing about the Moderna results is 94% efficacy AND zero serious illness across all age groups.

Really it's just a manufacture and distribution problem now, talk of zero covid is pointless, just try and suppress through the winter and put all the contact tracers to work vaccinating (theoretically of course, I doubt they're trained as such).

Bring in a vaccine passport for events and travel and away we go.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion