Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Wind Storm late 26th-27th December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Wouldn't there have to be no ceiling in the house for that to work?
    Its Bernoullis principle. It has to do with pressure differentials.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Just opened the back door in the northside of cork city, and the wind is so strong that I barely had the door open and it blew in. It seem to be a bit nasty now.

Kilmore Road is getting a thrashing. Would love to be inside at the top of the water tower and see/hear it all. Tis well aggressive up these parts now.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Birtles

Sustained winds of just under 100k and gusting around 140 @ kinsale energy. sherkin not too far behind either!!
    Really blasting @ home here now. Not gusting but sustained winds now..

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

I'm worried now about my house in Galway. It sounds and looks really bad. I'll be calling the neighbours first thing to go check for us.
    The winds have picked up a little in Cavan but nothing more than a really windy night. Enough to make me wanna hide under the duvet!
    Stay safe All and thanks for the updates. Keep em coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

So the meteorological update...is the storm following the predicted path and schedule? Sting jet forming?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

When is the storm expected to pass, very wild here in west limerick. Never experienced it as bad in the 8 yrs living here. Hate the wind, just wishing it would move off now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Its Bernoullis principle. It has to do with pressure differentials.
    That's what I mean, how can opening windows affect the pressure differential between your attic and the outside if there's a ceiling in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,438 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The whole ground floor rattled there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

The wind has been so uneventful here on the coast in west Mayo all evening. I was looking foward to a powerful storm here with the red alert warning and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Just texted friends in Galway City on night out they had no idea but taxis now instead of walking home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Going by the BBC weather reports, it looks like Mayo, Sligo and Donegal will be getting the worst of the winds between 06.00 and 10.00, with another low hitting us on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

joujoujou wrote: »
    Approx. 57km from my station (which is back online BTW). :)

Unless Roscommon has now floated off into the North Atlantic somewhere near Tory Island, I think you need to recalibrate your pressure guage, I'd recommend doing it when we have a stable area of high pressure giving low pressure variation over the country.

3hr-rain.gif?0056

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Southside Cork City and its seems to be getting worse..just had a really strong gust..very frightening now...

• Registered Users Posts: 31 missfemale

RuthieRose wrote: »
    I'm worried now about my house in Galway. It sounds and looks really bad. I'll be calling the neighbours first thing to go check for us.
    The winds have picked up a little in Cavan but nothing more than a really windy night. Enough to make me wanna hide under the duvet!
    Stay safe All and thanks for the updates. Keep em coming.

Where abouts are u in Galway apparently there's no electricity in some salt hill or Athenry houses

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Power flickering here again now and wind speeds increasing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Sat animation of the storm system over the last few hours (image from sat24.com) May be a bit slow to load as 5 mb in size.

68ifpJ.gif

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

missfemale wrote: »
    Where abouts are u in Galway apparently there's no electricity in some salt hill or Athenry houses

Our house is in knocknacarra. We're in Cavan visiting family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭stooge

Intensifying here in sc Roscommon. Some very weird noises from the house and the wind. Was clear starry skies a few mins ago but squally rain now. Glad I read this forum last week and took everything into the garage that wasn't nailed down outside!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,438 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Colser wrote: »
    Southside Cork City and its seems to be getting worse..just had a really strong gust..very frightening now...

Yep, same on the northside. I thought the worst had passed but maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

Colser wrote: »
    Same here. Metal fence across the road is down and my car is in the firing line.

Cork airport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

My dad walked home from the pub.

Muppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    That's what I mean, how can opening windows affect the pressure differential between your attic and the outside if there's a ceiling in the way.
    Very few ceilings are airtight.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 missfemale

It's supposed be bad up on high ground up clybaun road if you are on Facebook you can check the Galway advertiser page for good updates

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Galway1989

I hear movement on the roof.... Power has gone off and come back on 6 times. Candles lit.. some of these gusts are making me freeze now with fright!

Tuam area..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Extremely violent here at the moment,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Pressure graph from my weather station for last 12 hours. East Mayo near Knock Airport.

[IMG][/img]pressurestats27thdec_zps1e3af2c3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

0300 pressure & wind chart now up. Looks like the wind will drop off for a while in Mayo at that time as the low centre passes by. Quite windy at the moment here. There's been worse.

286132.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

Mars Bar wrote: »
    My dad walked home from the pub.

Muppet.

In Tuam, brave man!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Galway1989 wrote: »
    I hear movement on the roof.... Power has gone off and come back on 6 times. Candles lit.. some of these gusts are making me freeze now with fright!

Tuam area..

Have had no issues with power here so far. You must be taking the brunt of it for us. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Im in Salthill we have power

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement