Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Wind Storm late 26th-27th December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

@CorkHarbourWX has put http://86.43.106.118/cobh-spike.html together which shows Cobh and Spike Island Wind and Pressure data

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Quite a change to come in the next 6 hours...

Now:

13122615_2612.gif

9pm

13122621_2612.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭bakerlite

I can never tell in here (due to my lack of meteorological knowledge) whether these forecast snow events and winds/storms will be serious or not.

I am driving back roads in co.clare tonight to work at both 8pm and again at 2am Is this likely to be dangerous or just a proceed with caution event?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

A rapid change in conditions here in Waterford City in the last 2 or 3 hours. From sunny skies and calm to overcast and rain not too far away. Wind has picked up to an average of 18km/h gusting to 38km/h. A very interesting 24 hours ahead.

http://www.waterfordcityweather.com/wxlive.php

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

Will there be any lighting associated with this storm ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Picking up in Galway now, rain has arrived and wind getting strong

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Rosier

storm building up here in south west Kerry and am closing down to get some sleep ... all I need to do after all to get that real sensual experience of the storm is to open my front or back door and in it will sweep...back faces due north and no porch

please, stay safe and enjoy or not.. but stay safe is what really matters. You should know your own limitations and powers of endurance, and please take some food with you.

will be back at some stage to see with great interest all that is happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

bakerlite wrote: »
    I can never tell in here (due to my lack of meteorological knowledge) whether these forecast snow events and winds/storms will be serious or not.

I am driving back roads in co.clare tonight to work at both 8pm and again at 2am Is this likely to be dangerous or just a proceed with caution event?

I'm not any kind of an expert but a met eireann red warning is issued for Clare for those times. I'd be very careful if I had to drive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Ilyushin76 wrote: »
    Will there be any lighting associated with this storm ?

Lighting will be in short supply once this puppy is through....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

12Z NAE at +15hrs trys to develop a secondary feature. Lighter winds for a while in the north, but may intensify them further south.

13122703_2_2612.gif

20-25 kt wind arrows west of Clew Bay area of Mayo, but a 55 kt one west of Clare.

13122703_2_2612.gif

• Advertisement

No change on the 12z GFS, gradient a bit tighter maybe.

This is a dangerous chart @ +18hrs

gfs-0-18.png?12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Wouldn't be surprised if there were 130 km/h gusts in the Dublin area tonight/tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Worst of the winds here in Wexford town? I'm guessing early hours of the morning

If a sting jet did occur, potential for 90 knots to reach the surface.

Winds @ 850hPa

Rtavn1812.png

• Registered Users Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Picking up in Galway now, rain has arrived and wind getting strong

+1 to this

Apparently we are one of the counties supposed to be hit fairly hard with this storm.

patneve2 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised if there were 130 km/h gusts in the Dublin area tonight/tomorrow

Yea i'd put a conservative estimate of a gust to 120km/hr at Dublin Airport/ Casement with potential for higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Worst of the winds here in Wexford town? I'm guessing early hours of the morning

Looks like a period of strong winds around 9-10 and then picking up again in the early hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

bakerlite wrote: »

I do a lot of driving in all weather and my advice is to avoid roads with large overhanging trees or exposed roads or roads at altitude. For example, I don't know where you live, but West Clare tends not to have tree lined boulevards, more than likely it's hazel forests and stone walls which offer a good wind break. I would have no fear driving from Ballyvaughan to Corofin along Burren roads but leafy East Clare or Black Head would be a different matter. Both hands on the wheel at all times. And better again if you drive a 'heavy' car (VW, Skoda, Audi etc).

Anyone in Galway wanting to see big seas, the best road to approach is via Threadneedle Rd (a hill) - wide road with ample parking, no risk of flooding. Easy walk down to Blackrock diving board for a great view of the tempest. High tide around midnight.

Much better to see a storm outdoors than on a computer!!

Down to 960.5 hPa @ M6 buoy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭floydmoon1

Getting very windy in the last 20 minutes on the western side of Killarney town near the gap of Dunloe.

• Advertisement

Yes as MAQ alluding to, a slight two phase event for more eastern areas.

Strong southeasterly/southerly winds around 9-12.

Veering southwesterly and easing slightly from 12-3 before picking up again from 3-12pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

A rapid change in conditions here in Waterford City in the last 2 or 3 hours. From sunny skies and calm to overcast and rain not too far away. Wind has picked up to an average of 18km/h gusting to 38km/h. A very interesting 24 hours ahead.

http://www.waterfordcityweather.com/wxlive.php
    mad island.
    Flat calm still 60 miles to your north.
    Last tinge of blue sky going.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Getting fairly breezy here now. It should start to get stormy here from about 9pm onwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Yea i'd put a conservative estimate of a gust to 120km/hr at Dublin Airport/ Casement with potential for higher.

If this is the case, then we could have a problem here with this huge tree on the other side of the road directly in front of me, it's already cracked at the bottom and it's a huge tree. I'm 1 mile from Dublin Airport. 120kph gusts could take this tree down easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Theres your tornado threat there !

286044.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Marcus Halberstram

Have to drive from Limerick to Carlow tonight at 7pm. Is this asking for trouble?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Winds have really started picking up now in the last 5 minutes in South Kerry.
    Cant give any readings as the weather station is not reporting :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Have to drive from Limerick to Carlow tonight at 7pm. Is this asking for trouble?

Storm will only be arriving at the time really , though still take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

What alert would Dublin have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭Mech1

According to Dublin ATC winds increasing now and they are going for a change of active runway to suit better.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement