Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DUB Passport/Immigration Queue Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

I passed through there this evening. Some delays indeed. Not a staff issue I feel though. There were plenty immigration staff and most booths were open. They do need more though. they also need a big e gate area at the side and not in the middle. What an awful design but they're not even working anyway.
    The non EU line was moving painfully slowly and some were not allowed through and sent to side rooms.

I think you can get a perfect storm of a handful of slightly delayed flights causing multiple aircraft arriving at the exact same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,179 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

When we hit Brexit the non EU Q will multiply by about 10 times plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

When we hit Brexit the non EU Q will multiply by about 20-30 times.

I would be hopeful that the CTA will still be around and the EU line becomes EU and UK or else we amend the CTA immigration law in Ireland to allow them to skip passport control like it is in the UK. We may be at the mercy of the bigger nations in Europe dictating these rules to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

IngazZagni wrote: »
    I would be hopeful that the CTA will still be around and the EU line becomes EU and UK or else we amend the CTA immigration law in Ireland to allow them to skip passport control like it is in the UK. We may be at the mercy of the bigger nations in Europe dictating these rules to us.

Border control has nothing to do with EU. EU != Schengen...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

nc6000 wrote: »
    My parents came through there earlier today and said it took them about an hour. Apparently they were told that 22 plans has landed within an hour of each other.

Why can they not have sufficient staff on at busy times?
    Surely they know how many planes are due in, where they are originating and what times of the day are going to be the busiest.

Because busy times may only be an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening. They can't bring in 6 people to work a 2 hour split shift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

eeguy wrote: »
    Because busy times may only be an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening. They can't bring in 6 people to work a 2 hour split shift.

How do you think public transport operators deal with morning and afternoon peaks in traffic? Do they stable the buses at 4pm and claim it's impossible to bring drivers in to deal with the evening rush?

But surely there are people doing other things during the day. Reassign them for an hour during the rush-time should not be a big thing...

markpb wrote: »
    How do you think public transport operators deal with morning and afternoon peaks in traffic? Do they stable the buses at 4pm and claim it's impossible to bring drivers in to deal with the evening rush?
    No, they run shift patterns; morning, afternoon and evenings, with overlap in between to cope with rush hours.
    There's no comparison between public transport and passport control.
    grogi wrote: »
    But surely there are people doing other things during the day. Reassign them for an hour during the rush-time should not be a big thing...
    I presume passport controllers have their own title and training. Given DA's past there'd probably be cries of demarcation if others were brought in to do the job part time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

E gates will not help CTA passengers, who are not required to present a passport, or, indeed, any type of identification unless requested to do so.

I'd note that the administrative processing of this has even been considered utter lunacy by a judge - see http://www.bailii.org/ie/cases/IEHC/2011/H491.html#para18 for reference to Catch-22 Joseph Heller.

As for the request for balance above , you (as in your organizations ) are the one refusing to implement the spirit of CTA ; removal of CTA passengers from the throng would allow immigration personnel concentrate on those who actually are required to be checked and you can do random checks as required. this would reduce queue size hugely.

There is nothing in law stopping this occurring.

EEguy - you know it is so messed up that INIS run T1 immigration and GNIB run T2 immigration ? i.e. you have two completely different bodies doing the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭xl500

Red Alert wrote: »
    I can't imagine moving from Gardai to civilian staff has helped.

Well looking at whats happening in the Gardai I think civilian staff would be just as good how would Civilian staff not be as competent as Gardai to do passport control

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭plodder

Here's a thought. Why don't we just let passengers arriving from the UK through without any checks (sorry with random spot checks) like we do at the NI border and the sea ports, and like we used to do?

No, they run shift patterns; morning, afternoon and evenings, with overlap in between to cope with rush hours. There's no comparison between public transport and passport control.

Actually, no, they use split shifts called bogeys or (sometimes) euro duties. Most drivers work the shift patterns you describe but another group work a few hours in the morning and a few hours in the afternoon. Those drivers provide the extra capacity needed during the peak times.

Why exactly is scheduling bus drivers any different to scheduling passport control staff?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

trellheim wrote: »
    E gates will not help CTA passengers, who are not required to present a passport, or, indeed, any type of identification unless requested to do so.

I'd note that the administrative processing of this has even been considered utter lunacy by a judge - see http://www.bailii.org/ie/cases/IEHC/2011/H491.html#para18 for reference to Catch-22 Joseph Heller.

As for the request for balance above , you (as in your organizations ) are the one refusing to implement the spirit of CTA ; removal of CTA passengers from the throng would allow immigration personnel concentrate on those who actually are required to be checked and you can do random checks as required. this would reduce queue size hugely.

There is nothing in law stopping this occurring.

EEguy - you know it is so messed up that INIS run T1 immigration and GNIB run T2 immigration ? i.e. you have two completely different bodies doing the same thing

Again though, the CTA freedom of movement only applies to UK & Irish citizens.

What about non-Irish and UK citizens making a CTA trip? They are still subject to full immigration controls and are required to have a passport and a specific visa for Ireland and a separate one for Britain.

How do you suggest that is policed - you keep ignoring that point whenever I ask it.

What would stop those citizens from using a notional Irish and UK citizen corridor? That issue is far greater for Ireland than for the UK given the vast disparity in terms of direct flights from outside the EU into the UK over those into Ireland, which is presumably one of the reasons that Irish immigration view it as a bigger risk.

Until we get a proper international agreement covering the CTA, along with common visas this problem is going to continue.

markpb wrote: »
    Actually, no, they use split shifts called bogeys or (sometimes) euro duties. Most drivers work the shift patterns you describe but another group work a few hours in the morning and a few hours in the afternoon. Those drivers provide the extra capacity needed during the peak times.

Why exactly is scheduling bus drivers any different to scheduling passport control staff?

I'll just repeat myself then.

I'll just repeat myself then.

That doesn't explain why at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

plodder wrote: »
    Here's a thought. Why don't we just let passengers arriving from the UK through without any checks (sorry with random spot checks) like we do at the NI border and the sea ports, and like we used to do?

Which is exactly what they do when flying from Ireland to the UK. cant remember the last time i was asked for ID when entering a UK airport from a flight from dublin.
    lxflyer wrote: »
    Again though, the CTA freedom of movement only applies to UK & Irish citizens.

What about non-Irish and UK citizens making a CTA trip? They are still subject to full immigration controls and are required to have a passport and a specific visa for Ireland and a separate one for Britain.

How do you suggest that is policed - you keep ignoring that point whenever I ask it.

What would stop those citizens from using a notional Irish and UK citizen corridor? That issue is far greater for Ireland than for the UK given the vast disparity in terms of direct flights from outside the EU into the UK over those into Ireland, which is presumably one of the reasons that Irish immigration view it as a bigger risk.

Until we get a proper international agreement covering the CTA, along with common visas this problem is going to continue.

the british dont bother to police it as they know it is pointless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 Blue House Bear

Came through yesterday. 16 desks are there. 2 are open for EU and 1 for non-EU in terminal 2. The queue was 7 lines deep. I really resent the fact that I have to wait so long to get back into my own country.

I suggest it is policed in a consistent way with that of taking the other CTA transport operators , e.g. bus from Newry to Dundalk , the train from Central to Connolly, Irish Ferries Holyhead to Dublin Port , i.e. random, intelligence-led checks .

I suggest it is policed in a consistent way with that of taking the other CTA transport operators , e.g. bus from Newry to Dundalk , the train from Central to Connolly, Irish Ferries Holyhead to Dublin Port , i.e. random, intelligence-led checks .

Let's be honest though - the numbers using those routes are dwarfed by those using the airlines to come into Ireland.

There really isn't any comparison between the two.

There is an issue there in terms of immigration control into this country, whether you like it or not.

Which is exactly what they do when flying from Ireland to the UK. cant remember the last time i was asked for ID when entering a UK airport from a flight from dublin.

the british dont bother to police it as they know it is pointless.

Again though - the numbers of people potentially arriving into the CTA via Ireland and proceeding to the UK is considerably lower than those doing it the other way around given the massive difference in the number of flights into the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Again though - the numbers of people potentially arriving into the CTA via Ireland and proceeding to the UK is considerably lower than those doing it the other way around given the massive difference in the number of flights into the UK.

you think it is being used as a backdoor to illegal immigration into ireland? if they want to do that they can just get the boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭flexcon

Just came through last night, waited 38mins. 2 desks open, 1 for Non EU. I chanced the non EU as there was only 1 person in the queue. Judged who was behind and in front of me and went for it to trial was it faster. Got through it fine, and skipped 5 people from the other queue in doing so. not that much difference.

Why are the digital scanning desks closed? Seems mad when I am trying to catch the bloody Aircoach. I even mentioned this to the lady that my bus leaves in 10 mins, and she said there is nothing she can do. If anything you should have some express system.

you think it is being used as a backdoor to illegal immigration into ireland? if they want to do that they can just get the boat.

From what "The Veteran" has posted in the past, it is an issue yes. They've already said that there are more problems found in the EU queue than the other one.

There are minute numbers of sailings into Ireland each day, making it much easier to police, when compared with the massive number of flights that operate.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

From what "The Veteran" has posted in the past, it is an issue yes. They've already said that there are more problems found in the EU queue than the other one.

There are minute numbers of sailings into Ireland each day, making it much easier to police, when compared with the massive number of flights that operate.

You are completely missing his point, the checks at ports on arrival are non existent / very minor compared to those at airports (even before the recent increased checks at airports)

You have always had a better chance of gaining illegal entry via boat (although you would first need to gain entry to the uk / France)

You are completely missing his point, the checks at ports on arrival are non existent / very minor compared to those at airports (even before the recent increased checks at airports)

You have always had a better chance of gaining illegal entry via boat (although you would first need to gain entry to the uk / France)

It is far easier to do intelligence based checks (or indeed checks of any form) on the sailings though, given the very small of sailings each day.

It's a completely different situation to the large numbers arriving by air.

Let's be honest though - the numbers using those routes are dwarfed by those using the airlines to come into Ireland.

There really isn't any comparison between the two.

There is an issue there in terms of immigration control into this country, whether you like it or not.

1. The numbers crossing the IE/NI border every day is far larger than the airport numbers.
    2. There IS a comparison : one is entitled to consistent immigration procedures irrespective of the location.

stop trying to muffle the issue.

1. The numbers crossing the IE/NI border every day is far larger than the airport numbers.
    2. There IS a comparison : one is entitled to consistent immigration procedures irrespective of the location.

stop trying to muffle the issue.

With respect I am not trying to "muffle" anything - I am highlighting an aspect of the CTA that you just want pushed under the carpet. It might not be what you want to hear, but the risks are there.

I seriously doubt that the numbers of non-Irish & UK citizens crossing the ROI/NI border is far larger than those passing through the airports. It's far easier to police them and the ports by intelligence and random checks.

In my opinion the checks are greatest at the locations where the numbers entering the country that need to be checked (i.e. non-Irish and UK citizens) are doing so.

I realise that doesn't sit with your view of zero CTA checks, but until we have common visas for the whole of the CTA, along with a full international legal agreement backing the status of the CTA up, then I don't see this changing.

The queues at the airport on the other hand are down to not having large enough immigration halls primarily, and that is ultimately a DAA issue. It's also not helped if a bunch of flights are delayed and all arrive within a short period.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

flexcon wrote: »
    Just came through last night, waited 38mins. 2 desks open, 1 for Non EU. I chanced the non EU as there was only 1 person in the queue. Judged who was behind and in front of me and went for it to trial was it faster. Got through it fine, and skipped 5 people from the other queue in doing so. not that much difference.

Why are the digital scanning desks closed? Seems mad when I am trying to catch the bloody Aircoach. I even mentioned this to the lady that my bus leaves in 10 mins, and she said there is nothing she can do. If anything you should have some express system.

Flexcon, what Terminal did you come through? I ask because at no time last night were only three desks open in the main Terminal 1 area.

With respect I am not trying to "muffle" anything - I am highlighting an aspect of the CTA that you just want pushed under the carpet. It might not be what you want to hear, but the risks are there.

I seriously doubt that the numbers of non-Irish & UK citizens crossing the ROI/NI border is far larger than those passing through the airports. It's far easier to police them and the ports by intelligence and random checks.

In my opinion the checks are greatest at the locations where the numbers entering the country that need to be checked (i.e. non-Irish and UK citizens) are doing so.

I realise that doesn't sit with your view of zero CTA checks, but until we have common visas for the whole of the CTA, along with a full international legal agreement backing the status of the CTA up, then I don't see this changing.

The queues at the airport on the other hand are down to not having large enough immigration halls primarily, and that is ultimately a DAA issue. It's also not helped if a bunch of flights are delayed and all arrive within a short period.

The key phrase here is 'opinion' and that is fine, just as all of our posts here are. Yours and mine are very different.

Again - you are trying to muffle the issue. I am not arguing for zero CTA checks, only a consistent implementation across all borders. Random checks does fine everywhere other than airports. This, implemented for CTA , would remove the queues instantly, and allow the CTA to function as it should.

I repeat - for UK & IE citizens on inbound CTA flights, you are not required by law to show ID unless it is demanded.

• Advertisement

I repeat - for UK & IE citizens on inbound CTA flights, you are not required by law to show ID unless it is demanded.

So it is atm.

Advertisement