Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X factor 2012 (Spoiler Free)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Apologies if I've missed it, but I haven't seen anyone's mention how mind-numbingly boring Christopher is! In interviews in particular. I'm not doubting he can sing, like I said in an earlier post I was a fan until he started singing the same genre every week, but he starts every interview with "I loved it, I loved it, I absolutely loved it" then the obligatory mention of "everyone who votes for him" and then the extended thank yous, etc. Most of the questioning is obviously unfair from Dermot/Caroline/Olly but he is painful to listen to now. No personality, and I thought Kye was the boring one!

I'm not saying Rylan or whoever deserves to be in the final ahead of him, but imo he shouldn't be anywhere near it, good voice or not. No personality, no progression, never left his comfort zone, no entertainment value. I'm sure Carolynne Poole would have been the female equivalent and she got voted off week one, why not Chris?

Because he's obviously far more popular with the public? :confused:

At the end of the day it's the public who counts and they'll vote for whoever they bloody want despite Tulisa trying to tell them otherwise.

Plenty of people with no personalty have gone on and done well some have even won the show. Leona was the most boring person ever

I don't think Chris is boring at all though, I think he comes across decent in interviews considering he is being plagued with biased and rude questions

• Registered Users Posts: 36,060 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Chris is connecting with his audience, some of the others obviously aren't.

also, the blatant bias against Chris is more than likely making his supporters more militant, as well as the fact that anyone who wants to fúck with the show a little bit, are going to vote for him.

the show only has itself to blame.

as always, they believe they can tell the audience who to vote for, and it's blowing up in their faces at the moment.

he hasn't been in the sing-off yet, so he's doing something right. that crooner style has a market, and he's tapping into it. it doesn't matter how many times Tulisa or whoever tries to tell us it's shít, and isn't her cup of tea...or how many times Louis Walsh tells us "we're looking for an international recording star" and that Chris isn't it...he has his fans, they're willing to vote, so fúck the X-Factor makers and judges.

he's connecting, the others aren't. live with it.

also, when did fúcking Tulisa become a voice for what's cool? she can't sing, can't perform, and is a bit of a scumbag. i'd listen to Louis' opinion on "cool" before that eejit's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Well, it's a glorified karaoke contest. It's to be expected that karaoke singers are going to do well. It's surprising that someone as bland and mediocre as Chris hasn't won already. It's a sign of the times, with regards to X Factor. I don't think people are really buying it any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Well, it's a glorified karaoke contest. It's to be expected that karaoke singers are going to do well. It's surprising that someone as bland and mediocre as Chris hasn't won already. It's a sign of the times, with regards to X Factor. I don't think people are really buying it any more.

Joe McElderry?
    AKA my lil Joah

SlickRic wrote: »
    Chris is connecting with his audience, some of the others obviously aren't.

also, the blatant bias against Chris is more than likely making his supporters more militant, as well as the fact that anyone who wants to fúck with the show a little bit, are going to vote for him.

the show only has itself to blame.

as always, they believe they can tell the audience who to vote for, and it's blowing up in their faces at the moment.

he hasn't been in the sing-off yet, so he's doing something right. that crooner style has a market, and he's tapping into it. it doesn't matter how many times Tulisa or whoever tries to tell us it's shít, and isn't her cup of tea...or how many times Louis Walsh tells us "we're looking for an international recording star" and that Chris isn't it...he has his fans, they're willing to vote, so fúck the X-Factor makers and judges.

he's connecting, the others aren't. live with it.

also, when did fúcking Tulisa become a voice for what's cool? she can't sing, can't perform, and is a bit of a scumbag. i'd listen to Louis' opinion on "cool" before that eejit's.

Wish I could like a full comment twice. Well bloody said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Steve Brookstein
    Leon Jackson
    Joe McElderry

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Slightly away from the drama of Sunday night, but can someone tell me what does Louis be writing about.
    He always appears to be scribbling down something on his note pad when he is not on camera.

The irony is, should Chris make the final, I'd imagine he'll have the most support when he returns to his home town during the week leading up to it. I look forward to the producers attempts to sabotage this (having him at an awful time or something) or edit it to suit them best

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

The judges and producers need to realise that they are actually doing him a favour by being so mean! People always pick up the phone when an act gets a hard time from the judges.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

cgpg5 wrote: »
    The irony is, should Chris make the final, I'd imagine he'll have the most support when he returns to his home town during the week leading up to it. I look forward to the producers attempts to sabotage this (having him at an awful time or something) or edit it to suit them best

That's if anyone is watching it still at that stage, as Strictly beat them again in the ratings. Wonder what the bookies are giving for a Chris+Rylan final?
    I betcha Chris's Nan must have some phone bill.

It can only get worse, as there's no xmas single not that i care:rolleyes:, remember Rage Against The Machine, they should rename this The Comedy Factor:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Steve Brookstein
    Leon Jackson
    Joe McElderry

So why are people surprised Chris is doing well?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

I would LOVE for Chris & Rylan to be the final 2...and for Chris to win :D

(even though I love Rylan - but can you imagine the judge's faces?!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Yeah but she's "urban"!
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.....

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

If I hear Louis say "urban roots" one more time I'll swing for him...and I love Lulu!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

LizT wrote: »
    The judges and producers need to realise that they are actually doing him a favour by being so mean! People always pick up the phone when an act gets a hard time from the judges.
    They're fully aware of it. Hence why the judge's comments were (comparatively) complimentary to Chris on Saturday.

Do whatever it takes to get rid of the knob, I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

If I hear Louis say "urban roots" one more time I'll swing for him...and I love Lulu!
    Aw, I don't mind it! He's just saying it to slag Tulisa because she (used to!) go on about it so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

So why are people surprised Chris is doing well?

Well Steve, Leon and Joe were generally liked throughout the show. They got fairly good judges comments and the press weren't gunning for them in the same way they are with Christopher. For instance, in a recent poll on Digital Spy, Joe topped the poll as most popular winner! (Why, I have no idea).

I think people are surprised with Christopher more so, because he doesn't seem to have the popularity the others had. Early on, he became the show's favourite whipping boy, after Rylan's humour and effervescent personality started winning people over on a huge scale. Chris quickly got the 'fake' tag and then the 'diva' tag and the judges just started laying into him every week.

Now, I'm not a fan. I personally think there's a reason behind the bad press he's getting - many of the other contestants just don't like him and I reckon there's another side to the one we're seeing on screen and I also find him incredibly bland.
    However, the way in which he's been targeted by the media and the judges themselves makes me uncomfortable and I think he's getting votes both from Liverpool (who always support their X Factor alumni with vigor), the sympathy voters and the voters who want to stick it to Cowell and the judges. That's a whole lot of votes right there!

I don't think he will win this year, but I do think there's a very good chance he could come second or third (a la Rebecca Ferguson, Marcus Collins, Ray Quinn etc.) and best of luck to him. All four judges chose to send him through to judges houses, then he was chosen by Gary as the wildcard, so they have no-one but themselves to blame for him being there in the first place!
    Personally, I thought Joseph Whelan should have gotten his place, but the judges themselves decided differently. No point slating him, when it was their decision that put him through over better contestants.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Slightly away from the drama of Sunday night, but can someone tell me what does Louis be writing about.
    He always appears to be scribbling down something on his note pad when he is not on camera.

Probably scribbling over and over again:
    "O' gawd - get me outa here quick!!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Because he's obviously far more popular with the public? :confused:

At the end of the day it's the public who counts and they'll vote for whoever they bloody want despite Tulisa trying to tell them otherwise.

Plenty of people with no personalty have gone on and done well some have even won the show. Leona was the most boring person ever

I don't think Chris is boring at all though, I think he comes across decent in interviews considering he is being plagued with biased and rude questions

I know what you're saying, but why is he so popular with the public? You don't think he is boring, fair enough, but he is to me. He is the same as Marcus last year, gives the same interview over and over, but Marcus had 'the look' and sang a number of different genres up until maybe halfway through, then he started the Motown thing.

If the best anyone can saw about Chris is that 'he seems decent', then that is not enough for me to be honest. I reckon he is getting a lot of sympathy votes due to the judges harsh comments, and if that's the case then they deserve it. I should say, for the most part, the judges haven't said anything I can remember that's out of line, he is cabaret, he is karaoke, and it's Tulisa's prerogative to not buy his album. The problem I have is the questions on the Xtra Factor, very unfair.

I could see Chris doing something similar to Andy Abraham, releasing an album of old covers, doing a musical or two etc, nothing earth-shattering, but something that will retain a small fan base over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,060 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

for audiences who hate crooners, Chris is shít.

i think he's shít. i can't stand the songs he sings, i would never listen to an album of his, and i would never go to see a show he is in.

but he does have an audience, and they are voting.

Tulisa coming out and saying "Ella's fans aren't voting" is disrespectful, not to Chris, but the voters who actually do like Chris, of which I am sure there are many. they have a right to listen to whatever music they fúcking well want to, and if he sings their kinds of songs, then they have every right to vote for him.

X-Factor is not at the cutting edge of what's "cool" and what's not. they may think they are, but they're not. so Chris doing well in the votes should surprise anyone at all. that is obviously what a lot of the viewers who are actually watching X-Factor on a Saturday evening want.

yes, he is probably getting a bump from the passionate Scouse vote, and he's probably getting a very slight bump due to people fúcking with the show, but X-Factor don't have the amount of young, cool, hip fans that they seem to think they do.

they have their fair show of middle-aged women who like a crooner to sing a big song, whether they like it or not. no amount of moaning at people not voting is going to change that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

for audiences who hate crooners, Chris is shít.

i think he's shít. i can't stand the songs he sings, i would never listen to an album of his, and i would never go to see a show he is in.

but he does have an audience, and they are voting.

Tulisa coming out and saying "Ella's fans aren't voting" is disrespectful, not to Chris, but the voters who actually do like Chris, of which I am sure there are many. they have a right to listen to whatever music they fúcking well want to, and if he sings their kinds of songs, then they have every right to vote for him.

X-Factor is not at the cutting edge of what's "cool" and what's not. they may think they are, but they're not. so Chris doing well in the votes should surprise anyone at all. that is obviously what a lot of the viewers who are actually watching X-Factor on a Saturday evening want.

yes, he is probably getting a bump from the passionate Scouse vote, and he's probably getting a very slight bump due to people fúcking with the show, but X-Factor don't have the amount of young, cool, hip fans that they seem to think they do.

they have their fair show of middle-aged women who like a crooner to sing a big song, whether they like it or not. no amount of moaning at people not voting is going to change that.

That's a good point actually, I always assumed its the older viewers who are voting as the younger ones may not have credit or whatever, and in a lot of cases they might follow people on twitter/Facebook but that doesn't automatically translate to votes. Maybe Chris' fans are the ones who pay the phone bill and get the say in who to vote for?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,024 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Tulisa needs to take the blame for AdElla going out, look at the songs she gave her all slow and boring and then to have her slow down one of the biggest lively party songs around from the film Grease was a very big mistake imho

James seemed pissed and angry at being in the bottom 2, think he was full sure he'd win

Gary doesnt make any effort with Chris, he said he wanted the oldies for Kye who he concentrated more on

I think maybe if Lulu had Chris or even another judge he would be better managed and likeable

Rylan and Chris for the final now :p

Jason Todd wrote: »
    I know what you're saying, but why is he so popular with the public? You don't think he is boring, fair enough, but he is to me. He is the same as Marcus last year, gives the same interview over and over, but Marcus had 'the look' and sang a number of different genres up until maybe halfway through, then he started the Motown thing.

If the best anyone can saw about Chris is that 'he seems decent', then that is not enough for me to be honest. I reckon he is getting a lot of sympathy votes due to the judges harsh comments, and if that's the case then they deserve it. I should say, for the most part, the judges haven't said anything I can remember that's out of line, he is cabaret, he is karaoke, and it's Tulisa's prerogative to not buy his album. The problem I have is the questions on the Xtra Factor, very unfair.

I could see Chris doing something similar to Andy Abraham, releasing an album of old covers, doing a musical or two etc, nothing earth-shattering, but something that will retain a small fan base over time.
    If the judges came out every week praising his voice and giving him compliements there is definitely a better chance he'd be gone by now.

Still though as I've said Liverpool got the over-rated Marcus Collins and the average Ray Quinn to second before and the aforementioned Rebecca Ferguson, who didn't even have her mentor on her side, despite her incredible talent. It's a city that likes to vote I guess :pac:. So who knows, he may still have been at this stage regardless

I'd have no hesitation in accusing the judges and xtra factor presenters of bullying and it makes me angry to see it happening so blatantly. The great thing is the public have picked up on this and they're supporting him even more as a result. His fanbase is definitely a lot more now than it was in week one when he was voted in as a wildcard. Twitter was filled with people sticking up for him last night. I think people have stopped hating him due to the treatment of him by the show.

I think he'll make a living alright. Nothing massive, but he'll be kept ticking over. Fair play to him, he's doing what he loves and doing it well. He probably doesn't have the greatest of personalities but that shouldn't make any difference imo, I believe the show is all about how the acts perform when they get up on that stage. What happens behind the scenes is the contestants business

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Tulisa needs to take the blame for AdElla going out, look at the songs she gave her all slow and boring and then to have her slow down one of the biggest lively party songs around from the film Grease was a very big mistake imho

James seemed pissed and angry at being in the bottom 2, think he was full sure he'd win

Gary doesnt make any effort with Chris, he said he wanted the oldies for Kye who he concentrated more on

I think maybe if Lulu had Chris or even another judge he would be better managed and likeable

BIB 1- 100% in agreement. I think she knows well she made a schoolboy error with the song choice and it was the subject of a lot of criticism over the weekend. I'm certain Tulisa thought that giving Ella anything in a slowed down form would have rendered her safe.

Tulisa connected well with Little Mix but not this year's contestants. Granted Ella seems quiet enough so maybe she's hard to connect with. Like her or not her mentoring went a long way towards securing Little Mix the title

BIB 2- I don't see much evidence of this. In fact I think Gary is very supportive of Chris. He seems to take exception to Caroline's stupid questions and even took Dermot up on it one night.

He didn't look one bit upset that Kye left. Kye was a guy that flattered to deceive and once he got up on that stage he was rubbish in comparison to bootcamp and the likes. I highly doubt Gary's best mates with Chris or anything but I'd say he treats him like he would any contestant. I'd say he wants the best for him

Don't think Louis is the mentor he'd like. This is the same Louis who sent two of his acts home last year and refused to send one home this year in a sing off.

BIB 3- Lets hope you're right :D

EDIT- Re James I'll give him the benefit in that he was shocked. He may have been slightly preparing himself for a sing off but when he saw his opponent I'd say the idea of possibly going home really set in. He would have expected Rylan all day long I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 85,024 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

BIB 2- I don't see much evidence of this. In fact I think Gary is very supportive of Chris. He seems to take exception to Caroline's stupid questions and even took Dermot up on it one night.

He didn't look one bit upset that Kye left. Kye was a guy that flattered to deceive and once he got up on that stage he was rubbish in comparison to bootcamp and the likes. I highly doubt he's best mates with Chris but I'd say he treats him like he would any contestant. I'd say he wants the best for him

Gary supports Chris now as he is only act left

Now, I'm not a fan. I personally think there's a reason behind the bad press he's getting - many of the other contestants just don't like him and I reckon there's another side to the one we're seeing on screen and I also find him incredibly bland.

I don't deny this. But if I were to blindly speculate (which is all we can do!) I'd say he just doesn't bother interracting with the others. They are all incredibly young comparing to him and no doubt have different interests. The rest are probably all a tight knit group which Chris doesn't bother trying to mix with

I originally thought the judges had run ins with him but I'm in no doubt they are just acting on producers orders. I'd doubt judges even interract with their own acts that much over the week off camera, never mind the acts of others. So I'd say that's a no story.

He may be a bit of a diva but I've no doubt it's completely exaggerated simply because of how he was portrayed to be a nervous wreck and all that.

The producers don't want the guy winning the show and anything that makes him out to be a bad guy of sorts (editing VT's to show no interraction with other contestants, fabricated stories about being late and the likes) will be tried

Gary supports Chris now as he is only act left

There's a bit of that but remember, Chris wasn't his first choice. He wasn't even in his top three! It would be very easy neglect him altogether like Kelly last year and Amelia. Press reports suggested she completely ignored her leading up the final

My own opinion of Gary is that he's a decent bloke who will look out for his acts. The flip side is this is that it often leads to him insulting other contestants which I don't like to see at all

Ella pretty much said she was responsible for her song choice this week, not Tulisa.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Even for the best of the singers often or not the song choice could let them down no matter how well they sing it but Tulisa shoudn't blame herself for it. She be harsh now after all her acts gone and she be hard on the other candidates until the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭_LilyRose_

If Tulisa hadn't saved Rylan last week, Ella would possibly (probably) still be in the competition.

• Advertisement

_LilyRose_ wrote: »
    If Tulisa hadn't saved Rylan last week, Ella would possibly (probably) still be in the competition.

Can't say for sure though.

Advertisement