Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are we going for protein?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Ordered MyProtein Friday, delivered today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

My order arrived after 4 weeks but I received an apology email and a five euro credit on my account

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

What's a good discount on Myprotein ? Currently looking at €61 for 5kg of Whey protein. Is that about as good as it gets?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Craig_David

Anyone ordered from myprotein recently? Wondering how long delivery takes ..

• Registered Users Posts: 45 danceash

My last order was 26th of april and arrived in 4 working days on the 30th of April

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

How much was a 5kg bag of chocolate whey isolate 3/4 months ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    How much was a 5kg bag of chocolate whey isolate 3/4 months ago?

In line with current prices from what I can see - Haven't noticed any increases because of Brexit/food price increases.

Kind of off-topic but I no longer pay extra premium for isolate. This isolate is 89% protein where as the ordinary stuff is 84%. I know some go for isolate for digestive/intolerance reasons though.

Patsy167 wrote: »
    In line with current prices from what I can see - Haven't noticed any increases because of Brexit/food price increases.

Kind of off-topic but I no longer pay extra premium for isolate. This isolate is 89% protein where as the ordinary stuff is 84%. I know some go for isolate for digestive/intolerance reasons though.

I went for the isolate because it was cheaper, that’s all. I paid 120 for 5kg. I could’ve swore I paid wayyyyy less than that a few months ago

I went for the isolate because it was cheaper, that’s all. I paid 120 for 5kg. I could’ve swore I paid wayyyyy less than that a few months ago

Sounds very high. Just checked My protein and 5kg isolate is currently ~€70 delivered

Patsy167 wrote: »
    Sounds very high. Just checked My protein and 5kg isolate is currently ~€70 delivered

There was a 45% off sale recently. They hardly jacked the price up to give the appearance of a huge saving?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Ordered a few tubs of clear isolate on the 2nd and arrived on the 4th.

There was a 45% off sale recently. They hardly jacked the price up to give the appearance of a huge saving?

The sale price is the real price. They change the promotion every few days but your price at checkout when the codes are applied will be broadly stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

You don't need any of that cheap protein before or after workout. Get your self proper diet and you will be fine.

Don't be one of those running around the gym with fancy looking but absolutely useless protein shakes.

There's nothing wrong with 20g protein / 100kcals... That's all a scoop of cheap protein powder is. It can fit in with your proper diet.

markmoto wrote: »
    You don't need any of that cheap protein before or after workout. Get your self proper diet and you will be fine.

Don't be one of those running around the gym with fancy looking but absolutely useless protein shakes.

It’s ok, I have a masters in bro science. I have 30g whey protein during a workout. Why during a workout you say? Because it’s a handy time to get it in. It has absolutely nothing to do with anabollicks windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭dashoonage

It’s ok, I have a masters in bro science. I have 30kg whey protein during a workout. Why during a workout you say? Because it’s a handy time to get it in. It has absolutely nothing to do with anabollicks windows.

my gym sells anabollicks windows at reception. right handy it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It's whey protein, ie proper protein (please don't start linking to stories about contaminated supplements in the US again).
    And its not useless.

It's a supplement - it supplements protein intake from your diet. You don't need it but it's a convenient way of supplementing protein intake from your diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭strongback

Whey is handy after a workout. A good home cooked meal within a couple of hours after finishing training is much better though.

Consuming protein during training can cause the digestive system to kick in drawing blood to the stomach. This won't help the flow of blood to the muscle (major part of weight training).

(Bringing a phone into the gym floor, people not sharing machines and nobody putting dumbbells back on the rack so you can’t find them will also be detrimental to your pump).

strongback wrote: »

Consuming protein during training can cause the digestive system to kick in drawing blood to the stomach. This won't help the flow of blood to the muscle (major part of weight training).

Well that’s a first…..

I'd love to see a link to a source for that.

• Advertisement

It's whey protein, ie proper protein (please don't start linking to stories about contaminated supplements in the US again).
    And its not useless.

It's a supplement - it supplements protein intake from your diet. You don't need it but it's a convenient way of supplementing protein intake from your diet.

Suplement solutions should be constructed with a “food first” mind-set to avoid the use of any unnecessary supplements which may increase the risk of committing an ADRV.

And the most nutritionally dense food on the planet cheaper than protein powder beign absolutely ignored for decades no one even talk about.

That what make me feel sad that young lads pushed towards processed powders and supplementation without giving alternative to natural far better options.

I'd love to see a link to a source for that.

It’s common sense, whey passes through the gut easily but it still takes a couple of hours to be absorbed. After drinking a protein shake you still know it’s in your stomach. Whey also has a stomach bloating effect, for a lot of people it’s not easily tolerated.

Drinking BCAA's would be better as they are more easily absorbed.

Start a thread on a dedicated bodybuilding forum for more opinions, very few pro bodybuilders drink protein during training.

Start a thread on a dedicated bodybuilding forum for more opinions, very few pro bodybuilders drink protein during training.

Majority of pro body builders don't use protein powder. Only for paid promotions. If you look at their protein shakes you can see just water : )

Majority of pro body builders don't use protein powder. Only for paid promotions. If you look at their protein shakes you can see just water : )

They don’t drink them when they are training that’s for sure!

I follow bodybuilding closely and most of the guy use shakes. They all will say get your meals in first, that’s most important.

It’s common sense, whey passes through the gut easily but it still takes a couple of hours to be absorbed. After drinking a protein shake you still know it’s in your stomach. Whey also has a stomach bloating effect, for a lot of people it’s not easily tolerated.

Drinking BCAA's would be better as they are more easily absorbed.

It's not common sense that I've seen supported by science is what I'm saying.

It's one thing if it makes you fee uncomfortable during training and it reduces level of training. That makes sense.
    To suggest it prevents blood flowing to the muscles doesn't stack up so I was asking for science.
    As for high level bodybuilders, that doesn't say anything other than afterwards is optimal. Which isn't the same as saying during workout has a negative impact.

Suplement solutions should be constructed with a “food first” mind-set to avoid the use of any unnecessary supplements which may increase the risk of committing an ADRV.

Greatest risk is where the manufacturer is also manufacturing banned substances. Happens more commonly in the US. Also, supplements that carry the Informed Sports logo have been tested for substances that shouldn't be there. The two most common sources here - Bulk and Myprotein - carry that logo.

That what make me feel sad that young lads pushed towards processed powders and supplementation without giving alternative to natural far better options.

No one is arguing that a supplement should be the go to. Like I said, it's a supplement to food and the majority of protein should be from food. Common sense.

But there is nothing wrong with whey protein as a supplement.

As an aside, do you have an issue with creatine supplementation as well?

It's not common sense that I've seen supported by science is what I'm saying.

It's one thing if it makes you fee uncomfortable during training and it reduces level of training. That makes sense.
    To suggest it prevents blood flowing to the muscles doesn't stack up so I was asking for science.
    As for high level bodybuilders, that doesn't say anything other than afterwards is optimal. Which isn't the same as saying during workout has a negative impact.

I haven't got the inclination to search for a scientific paper. I do have over 30 years training and competition experience and have probably read thousands of articles and watched countless videos on bodybuilding nutrition. The vast majority of advice is to take protein after training.

There are guys like Milos Sarcev who ram in intraworkout dextrose and the likes along with BCAA's but I'm guessing you are not playing his game.

Anything that has to be absorbed by the gut draws blood to that area. An example is getting tired after eating a big meal. It's best to keep the stomach free of a supplement it has to digest until after the workout is over.

In saying all that if what you are doing is working for you keep doing it. As Chris Aceto says there is no right and wrong in these things, if it works for you keep doing it.

I haven't got the inclination to search for a scientific paper. I do have over 30 years training and competition experience and have probably read thousands of articles and watched countless videos on bodybuilding nutrition. The vast majority of advice is to take protein after training.

There are guys like Milos Sarcev who ram in intraworkout dextrose and the likes along with BCAA's but I'm guessing you are not playing his game.

Anything that has to be absorbed by the gut draws blood to that area. An example is getting tired after eating a big meal. It's best to keep the stomach free of a supplement it has to digest until after the workout is over.

In saying all that if what you are doing is working for you keep doing it. As Chris Aceto says there is no right and wrong in these things, if it works for you keep doing it.

Fair enough. Maybe I misread it as you presentin it as having a negative impact as opposed to being less optimal than after training. In which case, I don't disagree.

Greatest risk is where the manufacturer is also manufacturing banned substances. Happens more commonly in the US. Also, supplements that carry the Informed Sports logo have been tested for substances that shouldn't be there. The two most common sources here - Bulk and Myprotein - carry that logo.

https://sport.wetestyoutrust.com/supplement-search

• Advertisement
Advertisement