Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Bride/Groom

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

We're April 10th and I came to the thread looking for anyone in a similar situation, didn't expect to find 2 people on the very first page I read! :P

We would be happy with 25. The hotel got in touch this morning, saying they can also offer dates in July/August but God only knows if things will be any better then.

Surely we'll be allowed 25 by the time April 10th rolls around..? :(

I hope that we’d be open by then we’re 27th March and I think it’s probably not going to go ahead but as others have said the established thought in the hospitality industry is that they definitely won’t reopen before Patrick’s Day, 17th March at best but it could be Easter. They expect to open into a 3+ situation. That should allow 25 but who knows if they’ll allow inter county travel. A lot of bigger venues won’t open without inter county travel even if it goes to 25.

It’s hard to say how the restrictions will change between late March and the summer in terms of numbers and the 11.30 curfew etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 BCG89

We are also the 27th of March and at the moment we are still hoping to go ahead with 25. Hoping that things will be clearer by mid February!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

For anyone interested, wedding planner Tara Fay was interviewed on Today with Claire Byrne this morning regarding wedding plans over the next few months. You can listen back here. She thinks it will be May or June before numbers return to 25. So much uncertainty, but the hospitality sector does seem pessimistic regarding the timeline for lifting of restrictions. Hopefully the next few weeks brings some clarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Rime Arodaky having a rare sale, some beautiful dresses included: https://shop.rime-arodaky.com/categorie-produit/collections/vintage-rime/

Pink11 wrote: »
    Rime Arodaky having a rare sale, some beautiful dresses included: https://shop.rime-arodaky.com/categorie-produit/collections/vintage-rime/

I think non traditional bridal style is beautiful. The Freddy dress is my favourite of that lot. The more edgy looks are fab but I love a dress.

Thanks for sharing :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Coille2020

We are getting married in late August. With all the latest news on vaccines, 70% to be vaccined
    by end of May and everyone to have been offered Vaccine by end of August, is it wrong for me to hope for my original numbers by August ? I am talking 200 plus numbers. it is 7 months away so we are hoping the country will someway be open by then.

Coille2020 wrote: »
    We are getting married in late August. With all the latest news on vaccines, 70% to be vaccined
    by end of May and everyone to have been offered Vaccine by end of August, is it wrong for me to hope for my original numbers by August ? I am talking 200 plus numbers. it is 7 months away so we are hoping the country will someway be open by then.

It isn't wrong for you to hope but I would do so cautiously. The opening up will be gradual even with a large number of the population vaccinated. I think after we get to magic 70%+ there will be a waiting period to see how things go. Keep an eye on Israel as they are releasing the efficacy data from their program.

I don't think there will be any scenario this year where we will have zero restrictions, be that a cap on indoor numbers, social distancing or mask wearing in certain environments. We are getting married in October and I've accepted it won't be a free for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

We're mid August... we think there'll definitely be restrictions. I'm going to email our venue today and see if they've any availability for later in the year or even early next year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

My parents have said they'll only stay for the ceremony and won't stay for the drinks reception or dinner if they're not vaccinated. They're in the 60-65yr bracket and don't have any underlying conditions, so I'm not hopeful that they'll be vaccinated by our wedding date in May.

Is anybody else in a similar situation?

woodchuck wrote: »
    My parents have said they'll only stay for the ceremony and won't stay for the drinks reception or dinner if they're not vaccinated. They're in the 60-65yr bracket and don't have any underlying conditions, so I'm not hopeful that they'll be vaccinated by our wedding date in May.

Not exactly put as starkly as that but similar.

The one thing I will say is that for obvious reasons people in that age bracket and older are really anxious at the moment generally speaking in my experience. They’re watching the news a few times a day and they’re tuned into every case number and every NPHET statement. Given where we are a country it’s a very worrying time. A behavioural psychologist on the radio was of the opinion that people were changing their actions based on the case numbers and hospitalisations rather than the rules per se. In other words the state of the virus has a huge impact on people attitudes and decision making. That has an influence on how a person would react to a wedding invitation this week even for a wedding in the summer.

I would be as adaptable with them as you would be with everyone else who might not be there for travel reason or quarantine or close contact. In other words without putting them under pressure maybe you could nod along but keep the space for them and then see how they feel the week of the wedding.

• Advertisement

Thanks Raisins. Yeah I completely understand where they're coming from. They have been severely restricting their movements since March 2020 so the idea of being a room with 25 other people with masks off while eating dinner is terrifying to them.

Intellectually I understand their decision, but it's still very upsetting. My siblings won't be attending either (one waiting for the vaccine and one in Canada), so I'll literally have no family there to celebrate with me on the day. Whereas my fiances parents are very supportive, think we should go ahead in May and are happy to attend and help in any way they can.

I'm trying to prepare for the worse case scenario that they won't be vaccinated and will only stay a half hour for the ceremony. I feel we're in a very difficult situation as to whether or not we keep ploughing ahead with our plans for May or postpone (again!) to try and have my family there. We really don't want to keep postponing indefinitely though, as nobody knows when everything will truly be back to normal. We're mid-30s and want to start the next stage of our lives. I don't think my parents understand that though, as they're pressuring us to postpone again.

Are you angry with them? Do you feel like such an important day doesn't matter to them? You don't have to answer those questions here but it might be no harm to have a think about how you feel towards them now. They have no underlying conditions yet are very fearful of Covid.
    There may be a part of you that feels "for Jaysus sake can they not put that to one side and just celebrate with me".

There's nothing wrong with any of those feelings but they may be getting in the way of empathy towards them. You can intellectually understand where they are coming from but I think in order to get a bit of peace for yourself you need to have understanding from an empathetic place.
    From reading your posts down through the years Woodchuck empathy isn't something you lack :)

Thanks Raisins. Yeah I completely understand where they're coming from. They have been severely restricting their movements since March 2020 so the idea of being a room with 25 other people with masks off while eating dinner is terrifying to them.

Intellectually I understand their decision, but it's still very upsetting. My siblings won't be attending either (one waiting for the vaccine and one in Canada), so I'll literally have no family there to celebrate with me on the day. Whereas my fiances parents are very supportive, think we should go ahead in May and are happy to attend and help in any way they can.

I'm trying to prepare for the worse case scenario that they won't be vaccinated and will only stay a half hour for the ceremony. I feel we're in a very difficult situation as to whether or not we keep ploughing ahead with our plans for May or postpone (again!) to try and have my family there. We really don't want to keep postponing indefinitely though, as nobody knows when everything will truly be back to normal. We're mid-30s and want to start the next stage of our lives. I don't think my parents understand that though, as they're pressuring us to postpone again.

Honestly we’re in a similar boat and I’m guessing a lot of people are and my advice would be not to defer on that basis but it’s obviously not a right or wrong answer.

The essence of the wedding will be the ceremony. If they’re there for that then that’s the most important thing. You won’t be without family at the wedding. You’ll probably be over the moon and thrilled afterwards and the rest will work itself out. You’ll feel they witnessed it and supported. After that the level of engagement with the celebrations themselves will be a detail. It’s not even clear yet what level of curfew (11.30), music, dancing will be allowed and if allowed which guests will want to do that and which ones will keep distance. I’d be inclined to park who exactly will end up partaking in all the celebrations and what exactly they’ll look like when considering whether to go ahead of not. That’s easier said than done.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Personally I'm hopeful that this will be our last level 5 lockdown. If the most vulnerable members of society have been vaccinated and the hospitals aren't being overwhelmed, it would be very difficult to justify further lockdowns.

I reckon there'll be a very gradual easing of restrictions between now and Easter. Starting with schools in February, then reopening construction and non-essential retail. At some stage before Easter I think we'll be in a kind of "level 3 plus" or "level 5 minus" situation (or level 4 if they ever decide to use it!), where restaurants will be allowed to reopen for outdoor dining and they'll lift the 5km limit. I think they'll wait until after Easter weekend at the beginning of April before they allow indoor dining for restaurants. At that point, I think we'll be back into proper level 3 territory, which allows 25 guests at a wedding.

So personally I'd be hopeful for your wedding on 10th April French Toast! I don't have a crystal ball, but it's just my own thoughts on how it might play out (I've thought about it a lot as we're mid-May!). Hopefully it'll mean that it will also be one of the safest times to host a wedding before the vaccines are fully rolled out. Community transmission is bound to be low after such a prolonged period of restrictions.

I needed to read your post, thank you. I know you're only predicting, but you're talking a lot of sense. Love your positivity.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Starting to get really worried about the alterations I need on my dress. I want the underlay of my dress changed completely. Does anyone know if there are any dressmakers taking appointments during this lockdown or if it's even allowed? Our wedding isn't until June but I'm getting anxious about when anywhere will be allowed open again.

Note: I'm not trying to advocate breaking lockdown rules at all. Just that I've heard it might be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

Starting to get really worried about the alterations I need on my dress. I want the underlay of my dress changed completely. Does anyone know if there are any dressmakers taking appointments during this lockdown or if it's even allowed? Our wedding isn't until June but I'm getting anxious about when anywhere will be allowed open again.

Note: I'm not trying to advocate breaking lockdown rules at all. Just that I've heard it might be possible.

I don't think it is possible at the moment but they are definitely taking appointments for a few months' time. My seamstress contacted me in December and we set an appointment for end of March, my dress is due in in February and the wedding is in May but I have no idea how much altering it will need and she said that was plenty of time. So I'd say you could probably make an appointment for March/April and be relatively safe. You could always send them photos of the dress and of what you want to change to give them an idea of how much work there is and they'll let you know a timeframe.

I was in touch with the person who will be doing my dress alterations last week. Our wedding is mid-May and my first appointment is the end of March. She said it'll likely be 3 appointments and 50euro for each appointment. I asked about alterations during level 5 lockdown and she said they're still going ahead. Generally they're one-on-one appointments and wearing masks. Whenever she's been asked about it at a checkpoint, it hasn't been an issue, as weddings are still allowed to go ahead (even if there are only 6 people) and bride's still need their dresses.

I don't know if we're allowed post recommendations on here, but PM me if you want her information! Based in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 BCG89

I had my first dress alteration appointment 2 weeks ago. Also based in Dublin if you want to pm for her details!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

It's probably at the discretion of the seamstress - for example if they are cocooning themselves. Like make up and hair, they get up close and personal so I can imagine they want to be careful.
    It depends on the Garda but I did see on facebook that someone was turned back at a checkpoint because they deemed collecting the dress to be non-essential.

For me, I've my dress here at home and I plan on booking my dressmaker anyway soon. I've two recommended to me locally so I'll chat to both and see what can be done.

Neyite wrote: »
    It's probably at the discretion of the seamstress - for example if they are cocooning themselves. Like make up and hair, they get up close and personal so I can imagine they want to be careful.
    It depends on the Garda but I did see on facebook that someone was turned back at a checkpoint because they deemed collecting the dress to be non-essential.

For me, I've my dress here at home and I plan on booking my dressmaker anyway soon. I've two recommended to me locally so I'll chat to both and see what can be done.

I think that's what worries me - the inconsistent approach taken by the guards. My seamstress is within our 5km (just about), but I could still get stopped by the "wrong" guard and told to turn back. If I said I was going to the supermarket, they probably wouldn't bat an eye, but I don't want to lie (particularly if I have the dress laid out on the back seat!).

Also while I have a drivers licence, I've been a horribly nervous driver the past year and have barely driven at all apart from going to the local supermarket (anxiety levels just through the roof in general because of the pandemic). I'd like to try and drive myself to the appointments to build up my driving confidence again, but I'd prefer to have the OH with me in the car for support. I feel I'm more likely to get singled out by the guards though if there's two of us in the car? As in it's an essential journey for me, but not technically for himself, we could get ourselves into trouble (even though he wouldn't even be getting out of the car!). It would probably be fine if himself was driving and I said I needed him to drive me to the appointment, but I really do want the driving practice with him as a passenger for moral support :( We can't even just go for a spin these days for fear of checkpoints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭French Toast

Level 5 extended until March 5th.

We're April 10th and would be happy to go ahead with 25 guests - meaning we'll need Level 3 or lower.

Strange and unsure times but we're still hopeful.

We're April 10th and would be happy to go ahead with 25 guests - meaning we'll need Level 3 or lower.

Fingers and toes crossed! Assuming/hoping we get to level 3 by then, I still think it will actually be one of the safest times to have a wedding. Think of what it was like last June/July after months of lockdown. There were still restrictions, but it generally felt much safer because the numbers were so low after such a long period of lockdown. And that was without a vaccine!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭zedhead

Does anyone know/has had a wedding with the registry office. From my reading of the regulations the numbers apply to guests only and exclude the bride/groom and key suppliers for weddings. However I have seen that for registry offices it means the total number. So at the moment if it were 6 then you would only be allowed 4 guests and if you wanted a photographer/videographer they would have to be included in the 4. And similarly with 25 it would be us, plus 21 guests plus photographer and videographer. We had been going on the assumption that these numbers were guests only and not so sure now.

zedhead wrote: »
    Does anyone know/has had a wedding with the registry office. From my reading of the regulations the numbers apply to guests only and exclude the bride/groom and key suppliers for weddings. However I have seen that for registry offices it means the total number. So at the moment if it were 6 then you would only be allowed 4 guests and if you wanted a photographer/videographer they would have to be included in the 4. And similarly with 25 it would be us, plus 21 guests plus photographer and videographer. We had been going on the assumption that these numbers were guests only and not so sure now.

Where did you see registry offices are different? I think it’s the same.

Raisins wrote: »
    Where did you see registry offices are different? I think it’s the same.

There was a thread in a facebook group for weddings in ireland on mask wearing for the couple in the registry office and a few people in the comments mentioned they had married recently and 6 was the total number including them and photographer.

I should probably just call the registry office closer to May when we have more of an idea of if we are at 25 or 6 and what that means.

I'd call the registry office now, just so you know where you'll stand if the numbers are still 6 on your day.

It's possible they're being more strict on numbers if it's an issue with the size of the room for example. So you should ask about level 3 and numbers of 25 also - just incase they need to reduce that too :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

I'd call the registry office now, just so you know where you'll stand if the numbers are still 6 on your day.

It's possible they're being more strict on numbers if it's an issue with the size of the room for example. So you should ask about level 3 and numbers of 25 also - just incase they need to reduce that too :/

Just this morning I spoke with someone in the Naas registry office and was advised that because of the size of the room, its quite small, that it included the couple and registrar and 2 witnesses so 5 in total. Rang the one in dublin city and its 10 including the couple at the moment.

Was told that in naas unless it goes to level one that it will be 5 people.

Naid23 wrote: »
    Just this morning I spoke with someone in the Naas registry office and was advised that because of the size of the room, its quite small, that it included the couple and registrar and 2 witnesses so 5 in total. Rang the one in dublin city and its 10 including the couple at the moment.

Was told that in naas unless it goes to level one that it will be 5 people.

Oh that's great to hear. We are the dublin city one so we could have our 6 plus the registrar and photographer. I will give them a call tomorrow and see what the room allows if we are at level 3 and can have 25 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Hi French Toast, wedding guest numbers were 25 well before Christmas as it was a sort of level 4 plus and even into level 5. The numbers only reduced to 6 on the 2nd of Jan, so I really do feel we will get our 25. I'm the 10th of April too. Crossing everything for you. I think 25 is feasible and considering the numbers are below 1000 now, we are in a better position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭AppleD

Was hoping for 50, we're 30th of April. But I don't think its realistic.

Going about the task now of trying to move to late August/September. At least we have a better shot of having 50 then. Moving suppliers is gona be some craic. :rolleyes:

Advertisement