Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Grapevine (OFF TOPIC CHAT) Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

The “chicken bites”, produced by the US company Eat Just, have passed a safety review by the Singapore Food Agency and the approval could open the door to a future when all meat is produced without the killing of livestock, the company said.

Dozens of firms are developing cultivated chicken, beef and pork, with a view to slashing the impact of industrial livestock production on the climate and nature crises, as well as providing cleaner, drug-free and cruelty-free meat.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/environment/2020/dec/02/no-kill-lab-grown-meat-to-go-on-sale-for-first-time

(-Singapore's approval of Eat Just's product will likely attract competitors to set up operations in the city state, and it could also prompt other countries to approve it, too.
    -No antibiotics were used in the process, and the chicken had lower microbiological content than conventional chicken, [Just Eat] said.)

Josh Tetrick, of Eat Just, said: “I think the approval is one of the most significant milestones in the food industry in the last handful of decades. It’s an open door and it’s up to us and other companies to take that opportunity. My hope is this leads to a world in the next handful of years where the majority of meat doesn’t require killing a single animal or tearing down a single tree.”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I definitely think this technology is a gamechanger. It solves so many issues.

I'll stick to my plant food but hopefully meat eaters adopt it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

auspicious wrote: »
    The “chicken bites”, produced by the US company Eat Just, have passed a safety review by the Singapore Food Agency and the approval could open the door to a future when all meat is produced without the killing of livestock, the company said.

Dozens of firms are developing cultivated chicken, beef and pork, with a view to slashing the impact of industrial livestock production on the climate and nature crises, as well as providing cleaner, drug-free and cruelty-free meat.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/environment/2020/dec/02/no-kill-lab-grown-meat-to-go-on-sale-for-first-time

(-Singapore's approval of Eat Just's product will likely attract competitors to set up operations in the city state, and it could also prompt other countries to approve it, too.
    -No antibiotics were used in the process, and the chicken had lower microbiological content than conventional chicken, [Just Eat] said.)

Josh Tetrick, of Eat Just, said: “I think the approval is one of the most significant milestones in the food industry in the last handful of decades. It’s an open door and it’s up to us and other companies to take that opportunity. My hope is this leads to a world in the next handful of years where the majority of meat doesn’t require killing a single animal or tearing down a single tree.”

It's interesting for sure!
    Whatever happened to that company that was making lab grown dairy milk, anybody know?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Has anyone seen the dairy free baileys yet?

I’ve tried Dunnes, Joyce’s supermarket & O’Briens - no joy

Would Tesco have it?

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

May be discontinued, not sure. Have asked them.

May be discontinued, not sure. Have asked them.

It’s still on the bailey’ website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

Take a veg is closing down :( best vegan burgers in town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Does anyone know if Carrot's Tail in Rathmines is closed for good or just taking an extended break? I've tried to check their social media but it's not entirely clear.

Yea, it went before Christmas. Last day was 22nd or something.

Jammie Dodgers changed their recipe recently and are now Vegan.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Denmark asks its citizens to eat less meat, can you imagine this happening in Ireland? Bit rich really given they're one of the biggest pig meat exporters in the world, raised in horrible conditions no less - still though, somewhat encouraging

https://inews.co.uk/news/danish-government-tells-citizens-eat-climate-friendly-diet-vegetables-pulses-822888

Over the four weeks [ March '20 ] following, plant-based meat sales continued to grow at a rate of 61%, almost twice as fast as animal-based meat, during the same period. Moreover, while plant-based meat sales maintain continued growth, animal-based meat sales continue to decline. 
    Plant-based cheese retail sales grew at 95% (compared to last year) and growth continued at 54% during the four weeks post panic buying. 
    Finally, tofu and tempeh retail sales have spiked as well, with growth at 88% (compared to last year) during peak panic buying and 35% in the four weeks post panic buying.
    https://plantbasedfoods.org/plant-based-food-outpaces-total-food-sales-during-covid19/

Covid seems to have reinforced people's perception of the need to act and buy sustainably with a view for environmentalism and ethics.
    We are replacing our appetite for flesh with an appetite for change.
    These strong numbers prove that the plant-based industry is here to stay and will only continue to grow.

Be warned, if you turn your back she'll kill you and eat you and your family.

https://www.businesspost.ie/climate-environment/survey-finds-59-are-eating-less-meat-to-ease-climate-crisis-5a90cd71
    More than half of Irish people have said they are reducing their meat intake to help fight climate change, according to a new survey by the European Investment Bank (EIB).

The EIB Climate Survey attracted over 30,000 respondents from across the EU, 1,000 of whom were from Ireland.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Saw a vegan restaurant got a michelin star yesterday ��

I think this image is really cool. It immediately reminds me of aussie Andy Merrick's inauguration speech to Victoria parliament titled 'A dog is a pig is a bear is a boy'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Worztron

auspicious wrote: »
    I think this image is really cool. It immediately reminds me of aussie Andy Merrick's inauguration speech to Victoria parliament titled 'A dog is a pig is a bear is a boy'.

It reminds me of the intro to 'The Incredible Hulk (1978–1982)' TV show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9MysTXM_P4

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement

https://amp.theguardian.com/environment/2021/feb/03/plant-based-diets-crucial-to-saving-global-wildlife-says-report

Another UN backed report.

More than 80% of global farmland is used to raise animals, which provide only 18% of calories eaten. Reversing the rising trend of meat consumption removes the pressure to clear new land and further damage wildlife. It also frees up existing land for the second solution, restoring native ecosystems to increase biodiversity.

Realistically we need government policy on moving towards a more plant based diet, I cant see it happening any time soon, definitely not in Ireland, but it would solve so many issues going forward.

NSFW video, depicts animals in distress

Plenty of scholarly studies confirm longterm employees can suffer psychological distress such as PTSD for example, resulting in increased domestic and societal violence, alcohol and drug abuse, also carpal tunnel syndrome and more from exposure to the daily routine in slaughterhouses.

I guess some people need the money so bad they have to do it. I wonder what would happen to the industry in Ireland if they couldn't get foreign workers for some reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭White Clover

https://amp.theguardian.com/environment/2021/feb/03/plant-based-diets-crucial-to-saving-global-wildlife-says-report

Another UN backed report.

More than 80% of global farmland is used to raise animals, which provide only 18% of calories eaten. Reversing the rising trend of meat consumption removes the pressure to clear new land and further damage wildlife. It also frees up existing land for the second solution, restoring native ecosystems to increase biodiversity.

Realistically we need government policy on moving towards a more plant based diet, I cant see it happening any time soon, definitely not in Ireland, but it would solve so many issues going forward.

Its not going to happen.
    Sales of beef are through the roof with the last 3 weeks. So much that even the factories themselves underestimated the demand and didn't have the cattle from their own feedlots to fill the gap.
    They had their agents trawling the countryside looking for cattle and were paying up to €80 per head more for finished cattle in marts than they were quoting themselves.
    This week they are trying to drop the price in an attempt to flush out any remaining fit cattle to try keep up with demand.

Its not going to happen.
    Sales of beef are through the roof with the last 3 weeks. So much that even the factories themselves underestimated the demand and didn't have the cattle from their own feedlots to fill the gap.
    They had their agents trawling the countryside looking for cattle and were paying up to €80 per head more for finished cattle in marts than they were quoting themselves.
    This week they are trying to drop the price in an attempt to flush out any remaining fit cattle to try keep up with demand.

Why on earth do you think any of us in this forum would want to hear about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭White Clover

Bigbooty wrote: »
    Why on earth do you think any of us in this forum would want to hear about that?

To bring some reality to the discussion here.
    Thelonious Monk said that government policy is required to force people towards a plant based diet.
    I have given you an example why it wont happen, mainly that beef sales are growing at a steady rate indicating that people like to eat beef.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Definitely off topic - not sure that it’s of any interest to us here though.
    To bring some reality to the discussion here.
    Thelonious Monk said that government policy is required to force people towards a plant based diet.
    I have given you an example why it wont happen, mainly that beef sales are growing at a steady rate indicating that people like to eat beef.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod

A reminder to all posters that videos depicting animals in distress MUST be labelled NSFW

This requirement is in the forum charter and there are no exceptions to this

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

That video is 'somewhat' disingenuous, lambs that young are not slaughtered, but they do look cuter and better suited to making the desired point.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Advertisement