Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ESB apprenticeship

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Outburst

Thanks Davy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

As Davy says it goes up every year roughly it's this

1st year - 9900
    2nd year - 16000
    3rd year - 21000
    4th year - 24000

Those are rough figures.

There are 4 depots in Dublin, you'll most likely be based in one of these, but depending on which section you're working in you could be sent anywhere.

Pretty slim pickings at first. If I get the job can anyone tell me where you can buy rice wholesale : )

Hold on! Is it true that the ESB is taking on 100 apprentices, but will only keep 20 of them? So even if I get the interview I'm not guaranteed work?

I seriously hope it's not at the end of 4 years you find out...

Can someone help?

You seriously expect them to take on 100 full time techincians at the end of every 4 years? Get real, no company keeps on all their apprentices when they qualify. You're guaranteed a 4 year apprenticeship with the best company in country for serving your time with, provided you pass your exams.

And yes it's not much money at first, how much money would you make in your first year of college? And also the opportunity to go on to do electrical engineering and get money for it is incredible.

At the end of your time you go for another interview to try and get kept on and if you've shown good ability, done well in your exams and have a good personality you may just get kept on.

Thanks for helping me to 'get real' dude. Far out!

And for the 80% who don't get kept on? Is their training of any use outside the promised land?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Outburst wrote: »
    And for the 80% who don't get kept on? Is their training of any use outside the promised land?

You are trained as an electrician in fas and college. You do all the same exams and tests as a apprentice electrician in any other company, so you should know what do to. Being as quick as other with conduit and the likes is up to you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 alaun

Have just been called for interview - does anyone know how many they are interviewing or how many they are taking on. Any idea of what the interviews are like.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭rockagusroll

I've my interview on friday so i'll post on here afterwards and let you's know the crack!

• Advertisement

To whoever's interested...Had my interview today. Was in a room with 2 people, both nice. It was a pretty straight forward interview but just pay attention to the points it says on the letter we received. Best of luck to everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭gipo2

How long were you in for. When do you find out if you get in?

I was in for about a half hour. Find out end of july/start of august and then its medicals...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 paddyjones

I had an interview with the esb and was called bck for a medical last week which i also passed, do you reckon that means i have the job now or is there still a good chance of not getting it, also if i did get the job are the first 6 months training still down in portlaoise?

What does the medical invlove does anyone know?

paddyjones wrote: »
    What does the medical invlove does anyone know?

Full cavity search!

are you worried about something?

Medical invovles colour vision test, hearing test, piss test and a few minutes of being prodded by a doctor

• Advertisement

Anyone any idea what the interview is like - what needs to be covered? How long have these interviews been going on - any how many interviewed?

bassey wrote: »
    Medical invovles colour vision test, hearing test, piss test and a few minutes of being prodded by a doctor

When does the medical usually take place?

Davy wrote: »
    Full cavity search!

are you worried about something?

nope just wondering what it involves

paddyjones wrote: »
    When does the medical usually take place?

Umm.. can't really remember, I think it's around the end of July/start of August

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 walsh120

alaun wrote: »
    Have just been called for interview - does anyone know how many they are interviewing or how many they are taking on. Any idea of what the interviews are like.
    hey i got called aswel :) my interview is on d 14th of july.. when is yours on?? do you know how much people got called and how much jobs are going ??? my cousin works for them and said that they got over 40000 applications:eek:

• Advertisement

anyone know how long the interviews go on for, what kind of questions are asked???? please, im nervous:(

If they got 40000 applications, we did well to get this far.... have no idea about the interviews, maybe someone who has might let us know. mine is on 21st July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 tcrolwey

Gipo2, how did interview go? Hope you get it. What questions were you asked please?
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 kevin warren

Had interview July 9th. Went well. Asked to do another aptitude test next week. Anyone else doing this test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ZZZZZ!

Hi there,
    Just wondering can anyone tell me what an ESB apprentice is paid at each different phase? (approx.)

ZZZZZ! wrote: »
    Hi there,
    Just wondering can anyone tell me what an ESB apprentice is paid at each different phase? (approx.)

Pay doesn't change with the 7 phases of the apprenticeship. The rate increase on the day of employment each year. Roughly i would say it goes from €180 to €520 from start to finish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Th3Dude

hey everybody, i did my interview an now i gota do another aptitude test, but i was suppose to email some1 with wat date an time i wanted, but i lost the letter the email address was on. can any1 help me out with that email address, i dont wanna miss that test! cheers.

Yo. Here's that email address training@pfh.ie best of luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Th3Dude

thanks dude, ur a lifesaver!

Any body got any idea what the apptitude test for the engineering degree is like?

• Advertisement

its tough enough, based on a 3rd level engineering degree course we were told. 5 different sections in total. maths, comprehension and logic are the topics as far as i remember.

cheers, thanks for that info. best of luck to you with it.

The aptitude test for the engineering isn't all that bad, it's kinda daunting at first but if you have your head about ya it's not so bad. If ya did good in pass maths it shouldn't pose too much of a problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 greenranger

Did everyone who went to the interviews get called for the engineering aptitude tests?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 greenranger

Did everyone who went for interviews get called to take the engineering aptitude tests does anyone know or has the selection been whittled down?....... apologies for the double posting,still getting used to the scene.

If they got 40000 applications, we did well to get this far.... have no idea about the interviews, maybe someone who has might let us know. mine is on 21st July.
    ya we did very well:) ar u doing the aptitude test for the option of the engineering course?? sorry if i seen this yesterday i could have he;ped you, but i only seen it now, hope u did good :pac: what did you think of it ? i tout it was grand, didnt ask anything too hard anyway?? and finally, do u no when we will get called for medical if we get called??

iv done the interview this year .its grand out . do u no when wel find out if we get called for a medical? and dont worry about the interview, there really helpful.

Ya.interview went well I think.. . Would love to get it. Hopefully it will come good. Not sure what the story is with apt test for engineering. They said something about sorting out people for eng. after 2nd year and if this is the case, whats the point of apt test tomorrow. They said it would be 3/4 weeks before we know if we got it and then medical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

I rememeber doing that yonks ago.
    I finally ended up in a workshop on Mount Street doing an exam.

We were all given instructions, and as we started,
    it was then that I realised that the odds of getting a place were stacked against me.

You see, I was just a kid, having done the leaving,
    and I was competing with guys who were already working in the trade, 1st year apprentices, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

it's not always a plus-previous experience
    if you have picked up a lot of bad habits

some guys can't make the tea properly

and go back to work during the 1st morning break

Nearly everyone in my year was straight out of school. They actually rather taking on fresh people who haven't worked in the industry before so as they can be completely trained by the ESB and not have any bad habits from other places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

M cebee wrote: »
    it's not always a plus-previous experience
    if you have picked up a lot of bad habits

some guys can't make the tea properly

and go back to work during the 1st morning break

You've obviously not worked there if that's your perception of the place.
    bassey wrote: »
    Nearly everyone in my year was straight out of school. They actually rather taking on fresh people who haven't worked in the industry before so as they can be completely trained by the ESB and not have any bad habits from other places.

I think it's a case of doctors differ-it's all about who the three sitting across from you on the day are.

A year served may not be a plus, as you'll be starting from scratch-but it's not a thing that will go against you either. What someone needs to do in the interview is convey interest, if you have a background, and get that across, that will stand to you-but you'll be starting from scratch anyway so it's all good.

I remember back in the day, I used to repair tellies, a chap who I subsequently got to know very well (now retired), asked me to expand on it. I remember giving a spiel for about twenty minutes on chrominance, luminance, line delay and quadrature modulation. I didn't know what I was talking about myself by the time I was finished, but the point was made that I had a technical interest-which was all they wanted to know.

Interviews have changed now, it's all competency based, but the principles are the same. If I was applying now, and had a background in the trade, however tenuous, I'd play on it in an interview.

Not everyone but as far as i know, everyone got the option for it. A guy i know said he wasn't interested in the engineering side so i'm not sure if this will affect his chances although we were told at the aptitude that our scores would count towards our overall application!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sean Duffy

Well lads .. Just wondering did any one hear anything back from the esb interviews 2010..?
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 kevin warren

Did the engineering aptitude after the interviews. Heard nothing yet.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Duffman_2010

Anyone here anything for a medical yet???

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Got email about six to say I didnt get through.

Gipo3 wrote: »
    Got email about six to say I didnt get through.
    are you serious?? does that mean that we got through if we didnt get email?? sorry if you didnt get it

Sean Duffy wrote: »
    Well lads .. Just wondering did any one hear anything back from the esb interviews 2010..?
    :)
    well.. no i heard nothing yet anyway .. should hear something next week if we get it id say?? will you let me no on this if you get called so ill no if there calling , thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sean Duffy

walsh120 wrote: »
    well.. no i heard nothing yet anyway .. should hear something next week if we get it id say?? will you let me no on this if you get called so ill no if there calling , thanks :)

got an email there firday saying didnt get it .. PISSED :L

• Advertisement
Advertisement