Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The official Christmas FM thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

OMG Shakey!!!!!

Is it me or is the bitrate for the online stream rather low? Very "tinny" sounding.....actually the bitrate is the same as the Classic Christmas FM stream which sounds perfect to me. Strange....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

washiskin wrote: »
    Oh Gawd Lads, I'm so thrilled I could cry!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

And what a cracker of a song to kick off!!!

Haha, I actually did cry!!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

washiskin wrote: »
    OMG Shakey!!!!!

My favouritest Christmas song ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Seven Worlds will Collide

The first outing of Gene Autrey this year. I think he wrote Here Comes Santa Claus, another top3 of mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

We lost it for a good while there but the Cork frequency is working nicely now!

Awww, that Harry Connick jr song is just gorgeous!

Er....dusty in here..... something in my eye.... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Hurry up work and finish

• Advertisement

Online stream sounds great now! Cheers guys. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Downloaded the app on friday, but all I get is
    Error
    The station is not currently streaming. Please try again later.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I'm having no luck with the online stream today, either direct from the app or via tunein. It has always been a bit spotty but right now it cuts out after less than a minute of play. :(

This is the url for the online stream:

http://ice31.securenetsystems.net:80/XMASFM

It's working fine for me so hopefully it might help you guys! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭Westeros

Christmas FM made my Monday morning commute so much more enjoyable! Thanks guys :D

Make is Wish is such a worthy charity for Christmas FM to support. I usually can't handle hearing stories about people who are sick but the little clips they've been playing are so so lovely. It's so nice to hear how much of a difference the charity makes to those kids.

• Advertisement

I'm not feeling very Christmassy today and Christmas FM just played Christmas Shoes. Might as well just crawl back into bed and hope tomorrow is a bit better. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Yeah, I stopped having Christmas FM on last year because of that song. :o

Are you serious? I mean I'm not mad about it either but if I hated it I'd simply turn the sound down for a few minutes. But stop listening to the entire station? Kind of cutting your nose off to spite your face isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

I have held off till today to listen, I might throw it on for the drive home from work this evening.

Are you serious? I mean I'm not mad about it either but if I hated it I'd simply turn the sound down for a few minutes. But stop listening to the entire station? Kind of cutting your nose off to spite your face isn't it?
    I'm not really a radio person, I rarely have one on the rest of the year, and it made little difference as the radio is in a different room!
    I still listened to it in work though, and that's where I spend most of my waking hours anyway! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I don't like it either; what tends to happen is that when it comes on, I change the station, and then forget to change it back for a long, long time. Sometimes all day.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I did last year! I just forgot to put Christmas FM back on! Like I said, I don't listen to the radio much at home anyway.

Posy wrote: »
    I'm not really a radio person, I rarely have one on the rest of the year, and it made little difference as the radio is in a different room!
    I still listened to it in work though, and that's where I spend most of my waking hours anyway! :pac:

I'm the same. Apart from Christmas FM the only time you'll catch me listening to the radio is when I am out somewhere (shop, hospital etc) that has it on. I don't listen to the radio. I listen to CDs/iPod etc. Christmas FM I make an exception for :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 castleshindig

I can't seem to get it on my radio ? Galway City centre area. whats the frequency again ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I can't seem to get it on my radio ? Galway City centre area. whats the frequency again ?

Galway is 89.5fm

I have never had a problem with Christmas Shoes..... until now. Driving to work during Drive Time yesterday and it comes on. I COULDN'T SEE for tears. It triggered a lot of built up sadness in me and I'm crying like a loop in traffic hoping no-one will see me and I don't crash thru the haze of tears!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭kitten_k

I never realised Christmas FM had an online shop:

http://c988a8.42.ekmpowershop.net/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Treated myself to a mug :P :D

Did anyone hear the song competition songs? None of them were great (even the covers) but the winning song is dreadful. It was the same last year. There are only 3 songs that make me switch the station: Christmas Shoes, last year's winner and now this year's winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Who won it? Hope it wasn't song A written by some fella who writes for the Irish Independent, and did we mention he writes for the Independent?! The Irish Independent folks, wow!

• Advertisement

I didn't like the fact that there were cover versions- it kind of defeated the purpose of a song contest!

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Who won it? Hope it wasn't song A written by some fella who writes for the Irish Independent, and did we mention he writes for the Independent?! The Irish Independent folks, wow!
    Not him! The winner was Chrismastime in Ireland in My Heart.
    I didn't like the fact that there were cover versions- it kind of defeated the purpose of a song contest!

Yeah, I thought that was strange. And they didn't do anything different with the cover versions. They were very similar to the originals.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Kajemo

Did anyone hear the song competition songs? None of them were great (even the covers) but the winning song is dreadful. It was the same last year. There are only 3 songs that make me switch the station: Christmas Shoes, last year's winner and now this year's winner.

I totally agree with you... Ugh that song that won the competition is terrible.... just really terrible....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭Coupon King

I agree also it was RIDICULOUSLY twee but it only won because people "voted" for it. I much preferred the Aluskas at least it was cheery and a bit more festive

I'm not overly sold on Xmas Fm this year it's a constant stream of repeats with boring repetitive presenters talking nonsense and over the last 10 seconds of EVERY track!

They need a larger selection of Christmas music and maybe throw in some carols for good measure like on a Sunday evening for an hour or two to help people wind down and relax for a bit

Not him! The winner was Chrismastime in Ireland in My Heart.

I hate that song

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Guys the winners are a group of teenage girls. We should cut them a little slack. They don't need to see boardsies bashing them online!

Edited to say: Christmas fm is a charity radio station, hosted by volunteers, and if you don't like it, don't listen.

I actually don't mind the winning song. I appreciate the sentiment and the point they're getting across.
    I guess I'm just glad the winner was an actual original composition; I'd have been very unhappy if a cover-version had been in first place!

Ronan is on air now. :)
    Assuming it's 'our' Ronan, hullo!!! o/

Hai Ronan!

• Advertisement

Fair point. Apologies to the girls. It's just not my choice of song.

I'mma be in the Ballsbridge Hotel on Friday :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

This is the url for the online stream:

http://ice31.securenetsystems.net:80/XMASFM

It's working fine for me so hopefully it might help you guys! :)

What do you use to open it?
    i googled it & came across this site which brought me to christmasfm.com

Can you only get in some places on radio?

Pretty sure i saw an app on my Samsung smart tv, vtuner?

Thanks.

One minute left, then that's it for another year. :(

One minute left, then that's it for another year. :(

Gone so soon. The online stream will be getting played for another good while yet. Well done to Ronan, Darragh and all the lads at Christmas FM. An amazing amount raised so far and it honestly seems it gets better every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Didn't it used to end on Christmas eve?

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Didn't it used to end on Christmas eve?

No always on Stephens day.

• Advertisement

Got into the car to head home only to be greeted by static. :( I'll miss it. I didn't get a chance to listen for the last two days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Loughc wrote: »
    Gone so soon. The online stream will be getting played for another good while yet.

online stream doesn't work for me :confused:

fryup wrote: »
    online stream doesn't work for me :confused:

Does the stream on the app work?

Good interview here with one of the co-founders of ChristmasFM. Our very own boardie Darragh gets a few mentions.

Building excitement to the return of ChristmasFM this year.

http://radiotoday.ie/2016/08/garvan-rigby-talks-pirate-radio-and-christmas-fm/

It can't be long until Christmas FM's return date and charity partner is announced.... waiting patiently haha.

Eeek...

1585q8.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement