Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official Christmas FM thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Yo ChristmasFM, The Housemartins - “Caravan of Love” while a great tune is not a Christmas song! 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Twas a Christmas no 1 though, suspect that was enough... though I agree with you, for me it's not a Christmas tune.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Don't get me wrong, i really like the song but stay in your lane The Housemartins haha

• Advertisement

As full on Christmas FM is a little too early for me, have stuck on classical & carols for some background music and up until the holly & the Ivy which is on now you'd never think it was a christmas related channel... some bizarre stuff being played. Hope it was just an iffy 15 minute spell or suchlike as it isn't usually this abstract.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Quoting my own post here, but coming back from a site meeting and turning classical & carols on again and it couldnt be more different, Troika by Prokofiev & the suite from the Polar Express by Alan Silvestri... proper Christmas tunes!! Brilliant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

What about Two Become One by the Spice Girls? Another Christmas no.1 but is it a Christmas song though? 🤔

It’s a no from me. Not a Christmas Song.

I hate the whole number 1 at Christmas makes it a Christmas song. By this logic any song top of the charts now is a Halloween song.

Nah, loads of songs have been no.1 at Christmas that could never be considered Christmas songs imo. Reet petite by Jacky Wilson as an example, pet shop boys with always on my mind and then there's rage against the machine.... none of these are Christmas songs for me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,993 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Its a mysterious process.

Always on my mind by Pet Shop Boys was a Christmas number 1 ... it doesnt pop up on Christmas playlists yet some other non Christmas themed songs do.

Spice Girls had 3 Christmas number 1s in the 90s but only 2 Becomes 1 seems to be (sometimes) considered as a Christmas song.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Judging by what they were playing on Halloween FM, they seemed to be following that particular train of thought 🙄

It is a strange one, loads of Christmas no.1's not considered Christmas songs and get no airing on the music channels yet a good few that do.

I think we done this before where we listed non Christmas songs that appear on the music channels i.e Spice Girls, East 17 and others?

God yeah, its been discussed a few times on here. The vast majority of the no.1 tracks going back are non Christmas related so its really just the odd one that seems to be lobbed in for good measure.

Use in Christmas adverts seems to help the cause also... Lily Allens version of Keanes 'Somewhere only we know' is on the TV Christmas channels regularly & other than its use in the John Lewis The Bear & The Hare Christmas advert has zero connection to Christmas, but hey... !

Just looking at the Christmas FM website and on the countdown its showing that the kick off on Sunday 28th November appears to be 10.00am and not midday as it has been the last few years... worth keeping an eye on closer to the time as I know theres a few on here like myself who look forward to the kick off each year!!

In fairness that Lilly Allen version is a really good version of a really good song and it's in a Christmas ad so it's gets a pass from me.

The East 17 and S Club 7 songs are just put fake snow in the video and stick wooly coats on them 😄

To be fair East 17 added bells to theirs... the original release didn't have them anything like as prominent.😉

FWIW I love the Lily Allen version of SOWK, but all I'm saying is that had John Lewis not used it it wouldn't be within a mile of a christmas song conversation, hence the use in christmas adverts seems to be a reasonable enough inclusion for many songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

The Power of Love by Frankie Goes to Hollywood is another one of those songs that is associated with Christmas, even though it is not a Christmas song! The video for it is about the Nativity and turns it into a Christmas-related song. Only for that, and the fact that it got to Number 1 in early December, just before Band Aid arrived and took over that position, it would not be getting airplay on Christmas FM. The video is perfect for music channels playing Christmas-related tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

The term 'Christmas song' is very broad IMO. Someone could claim a song is a Christmas song due to a number of reasons.

And that's the sum of it really. As I've said in another post about childhood memories we all have associations with Christmas (sights, sounds, smells etc) that my not be specific to Christmas in a traditional sense but we each individually may have our own personal connections to Christmas that others may not share or understand, and to me that's fine (& great too, be boring otherwise), Christmas is whatever works for you & yours IMO and no one has any right to tell you what is suitable or not.

I think that's why we see these broad musical associations, and TBH for the most part I just go with it, far easier, & most of them are not gonna upset people (well too many) at this stage either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

One of the most argument causing is Frankie Goes To Hollywood - The Power of Love.

A December #1 with a clearly Christmas based video but if you didn't know those facts there's nothing to connect the song to Christmas...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I think each to their own- the less Christmassy songs break things up a bit, and add variety to the likes of Christmas FM.

The ones that really bug me are the likes of all the Spice Girls Christmas number ones and all the X-Factor winners. And Gary Jules. Meh!

Yeah, the xfactor ones can get on that boat to the island...

Island is that way 😂😂 still cracks me up.

I'm still chuffed someone got the joke 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭PaulT21

I won't stand for anyone dissing one of my favourite Christmas songs ever, 🤣 Frankie is on all my playlists for Christmas. Always gives me a good feeling..🎅

I think I read somewhere that Stop The Calvary by Jona Lewie is not a Christmas song or was not intended as a Christmas song but because it contains the line "wish I was at home for Christmas" they put bells over the track and the rest is history.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

It was supposed to be an anti-war song I believe. Happy Xmas (War is Over) by John and Yoko must be unique in being intentionally both a Christmas song and an anti-war song!

Famously a protest song and never intended as a Christmas song.... have a read of the wiki entry.

• Advertisement

Gonna try this as a solution to a problem I'm having with my Echo Dot. If I ask it to play Christmas FM I get some gibberish about not being able to play LMFM and playback error.

Advertisement